As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Official Veep Debate Thread: FULL DEBATE VIDEO IN FIRST POST

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Branu wrote: »
    Potential presidents DO NOT FUCKING WINK. Good god. Instead of using fear to get votes, their using sexy winking librarians. When the fuck did this race turn into a Maxim article.

I like to think librarians like and read books. Sarah Palin appears to be no librarian.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    BranuBranu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Branu wrote: »
    Potential presidents DO NOT FUCKING WINK. Good god. Instead of using fear to get votes, their using sexy winking librarians. When the fuck did this race turn into a Maxim article.

I like to think librarians like and read books. Sarah Palin appears to be no librarian.

Bank teller maybe?
    Insurance salesman?

Branu on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Heartlash wrote: »

Too bad the voices weren't actual quotes:

"That's not change, that's more of the same!"

"I told Congress thanks, but no thanks, on that bridge to nowhere!"

Haha! That's video of the month easily!:lol:

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Honk wrote: »
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Heartlash wrote: »

Too bad the voices weren't actual quotes:

"That's not change, that's more of the same!"

"I told Congress thanks, but no thanks, on that bridge to nowhere!"

Haha! That's video of the month easily!:lol:
    Hahah I would love to see these Biden lines:
    "Just...like...BUSH'S!"
    "MALARKY!"

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    seasleepy wrote: »
    Oh, The Corner. You so clearly revel in being wrong:
    I'm sure I'm not the only male in America who, when Palin dropped her first wink, sat up a little straighter on the couch and said, "Hey, I think she just winked at me." And her smile. By the end, when she clearly knew she was doing well, it was so sparkling it was almost mesmerizing. It sent little starbursts through the screen and ricocheting around the living rooms of America.

this is satire right

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    I'm sure I'm not the only male in America who, when Palin dropped her first wink, sat up a little straighter on the couch and said, "Hey, I think she just winked at me." And her smile. By the end, when she clearly knew she was doing well, it was so sparkling it was almost mesmerizing. It sent little starbursts through the screen and ricocheting around the living rooms of America.

this is satire right

nah--just disgustingly sexist

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Doc wrote: »
    Qingu wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    On a separate note, Biden does get the gaffe of the night from when he said we kicked Hezbollah out of Lebanon.

Does anyone have the clip for this? I haven't been able to find it.
    I don't remember him saying that.

He accidentally said "Hezbollah" instead of "Syria."

I flipped it to Fox News for a moment where Charles Krauthammer was saying that if Palin had said what Biden did, she would no longer be on the ticket.

:lol:

Clevinger on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The thing Palin did that annoyed me the most was responding to the question "what is your achillies heel" with a 4 minute extemporaneous McCain campaign speech.

The thing that Biden did to annoy me was show up and talk. Man, is he a smarmy dude.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »

this is satire right

No it isn't, its just pathetic and creepy.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Cat wrote: »

this is satire right

My friends, my friends.

Can't it be all of the above?

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    The Cat wrote: »

this is satire right

They really know creepy.

NRO wrote:
    She's smashing: highly intelligent, brave, unfazeable (I should guess), likeable, and a total knockout sexually.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    The thing Palin did that annoyed me the most was responding to the question "what is your achillies heel" with a 4 minute extemporaneous McCain campaign speech.

The thing that Biden did to annoy me was show up and talk. Man, is he a smarmy dude.

Really?

You have a weird definition of smarmy

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Okay that's sick Elki

Medopine on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

Really?

He was elected to the senate at 29, where he has been ever since, and every third thing out of his mouth was all, "Back when we were steel drivers in MY NEIGHBORHOOD in Scranton" (where his dad, in fact, sold used cars for a comfortable living)

That gosh ain't I folks bullshit is just sad. At least Palin really IS a middle American twit.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008

Really?

He was elected to the senate at 29, where he has been ever since, and every third thing out of his mouth was all, "Back when we were steel drivers in MY NEIGHBORHOOD in Scranton" (where his dad, in fact, sold used cars for a comfortable living)

That gosh ain't I folks bullshit is just sad. At least Palin really IS a middle American twit.

Biden is one of the poorest members of the senate--his net worth is like 300k---he was a single parent for years and lost his wife and his daughter in a car accident when he was sworn in

soo

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Really?

Yeah it sure was smarmy when he was talking about how he appreciates his good life as a senator and how his wife and daughter died in a car crash and he had to raise his sons alone...

I mean if you don't like the guy that's cool, but smarmy he was not

Medopine on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008

Really?

She makes more than him.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »

Really?

She makes more than him.
    But but

But she said

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Really?

Yeah it sure was smarmy when he was talking about how he appreciates his good life as a senator and how his wife and daughter died in a car crash and he had to raise his sons alone...

Just because his wife died, years ago, doesn't mean he's a down home foundry worker from Steeltown. He's had two jobs - college student and senator. He doesn't get to talk working class bullshit, if he does, that's fucking smarm and condescension. A true cynic might include bringing up your dead wife and choking up on stage is also theatre.

Do you seriously believe 30 year senate veterans have emotions?

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008

Yes.

Edit: Do you believe that the senate confers psychopathy?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »

Really?

She makes more than him.

soooo? That's not the point. the point is I hate that shit. Don't dress up in your hunting vest, or bomber jacket, or talk about your old neighborhood. If you're a slick 30 year senator, be that, own that, go with that, don't fucking insult people by trying to act like you're down homey.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Have you ever met a Senator? Like, in person?

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    When did he say "Back when we were steel drivers in MY NEIGHBORHOOD in Scranton"

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Senators, Congresspeople, Vice presidents, supreme court judges, yes.

I find them almost universally evil and upsetting.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Really?

Just because his wife died, years ago, doesn't mean he's a down home foundry worker from Steeltown. He's had two jobs - college student and senator. He doesn't get to talk working class bullshit, if he does, that's fucking smarm and condescension. A true cynic might include bringing up your dead wife and choking up on stage is also theatre.

His family moved to Delaware when he was 10 because the local mines and textile mills shut down and his dad couldn't find work.

You're either lying or lazy. Neither one impresses me much.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008

Sir, may you be, by chance, of the libertarian persuasion?

Rust on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/10/03/can-i-call-you-joe/
    BIDEN: … Look, the people in my neighborhood, they get it. They get it. And they know they’ve been getting the short end of the stick. So walk with me in my neighborhood. Go back to my old neighborhood in Claymont, an old steel town, or go up to Scranton with me. These people know the middle class has gotten the short end, the wealthy have done very well, corporate America’s been rewarded. It’s time we change it. Barack Obama will change it.
    Not seeing lots of smarm here. That was his only mention of Scranton.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    When did he say "Back when we were steel drivers in MY NEIGHBORHOOD in Scranton"

Oh god, don't parse quotes with me.

He wasn't continuously talking about his neighborhood in an effort to connect with the upper class.

I love how you guys all fall in to defend this 13-term asshole

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    MatrijsMatrijs Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Really?

He grew up around those people. Do you really think it's that much of a stretch to say that he has working class values, as a result of the place where he grew up?

Matrijs on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

This here is the raving of a madman.

I am absolutely without words. You haven't the slightest notion what evil actually is.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Really?

You're ridiculous, you know

Here is his only reference to steel in the transcript of the debate:

"Look, the people in my neighborhood, they get it. They get it. They know they've been getting the short end of the stick. So walk with me in my neighborhood, go back to my old neighborhood in Claymont, an old steel town or go up to Scranton with me. These people know the middle class has gotten the short end. The wealthy have done very well. Corporate America has been rewarded. It's time we change it. Barack Obama will change it."

He mentioned Scranton a total of two times.

Also he was a lawyer and member of county council before in between college student and senator. :P

Medopine on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Really? You've met them personally?

I find that hard to believe. Unless...well, nevermind.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Really?

As opposed to being a sports reporter?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    when he said that I was all "i would so take a walk with you anywhere"

it was a powerful line D:

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

He wasn't continuously talking about his neighborhood in an effort to connect with the upper class.

He mentioned Scranton by name twice.

BIDEN: Gwen, I don't know where to start. We don't call a redistribution in my neighborhood Scranton, Claymont, Wilmington, the places I grew up, to give the fair to say that not giving Exxon Mobil (NYSE:XOM) another $4 billion tax cut this year as John calls for and giving it to middle class people to be able to pay to get their kids to college, we don't call that redistribution. We call that fairness number one. Number two fact, 95 percent of the small businesses in America, their owners make less than $250,000 a year. They would not get one single solitary penny increase in taxes, those small businesses.

BIDEN: Can I respond? Look, all you have to do is go down Union Street with me in Wilmington or go to Katie's Restaurant or walk into Home Depot with me where I spend a lot of time and you ask anybody in there whether or not the economic and foreign policy of this administration has made them better off in the last eight years. And then ask them whether there's a single major initiative that John McCain differs with the president on. On taxes, on Iraq, on Afghanistan, on the whole question of how to help education, on the dealing with health care.

Look, the people in my neighborhood, they get it. They get it. They know they've been getting the short end of the stick. So walk with me in my neighborhood, go back to my old neighborhood in Claymont, an old steel town or go up to Scranton with me. These people know the middle class has gotten the short end. The wealthy have done very well. Corporate America has been rewarded. It's time we change it. Barack Obama will change it.
    Both times in a list. Both times talking more about the middle class than the lower class.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Now compare it with this:
    PALIN: One thing that Americans do at this time, also, though, is let's commit ourselves just every day American people, Joe Six Pack, hockey moms across the nation, I think we need to band together and say never again.
    I've been there. I know what the hurts are. I know what the challenges are. And, thank God, I know what the joys are, too, of living in America. We are so blessed. And I've always been proud to be an American. And so has John McCain.

We have to fight for our freedoms, also, economic and our national security freedoms.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Oh man multiple people disagree with you, there must be something wrong with us

Sorry for the dogpile, but when you distort what he said people will correct you

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »

Really?

His family moved to Delaware when he was 10 because the local mines and textile mills shut down and his dad couldn't find work.

You're the fucking lazy one. It says, right underneath that in the very wiki you googled, that he quickly found work as a used car salesman and their circumstances were comfortable.

IRT evil: You don't think congress is evil? These are people that routinely manipulate people's lives toward the end of their own personal prosperity. That's . . . that's what pimps and mobsters do.

IRT to libertarian: YES, obviously, if I think joe biden is a jerk, I'm a libritarian. That makes sense.

I think Joe Biden is a new england stuffed shirt Happy White Democrat.

I can hate the shit out of Joe Biden and people like him in a very politically neutral way, and I can make an offhand comment about what a douche he is without having any particular feeling about his politics.

Check this out: I actually agree politically with many people I think are jerks. But draw conclusions about me if you want.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You're the fucking lazy one. It says, right underneath that in the very wiki you googled, that he quickly found work as a used car salesman and their circumstances were comfortable.
    Why, you could almost say they were middle class, the class Biden talked the most about in the debate.

Edit:

BIDEN: Others talk about my excessive passion. I'm not going to change. I have 35 years in public office. People can judge who I am. I haven't changed in that time.

And, by the way, a record of change -- I will place my record and Barack's record against John McCain's or anyone else in terms of fundamental accomplishments. Wrote the crime bill, put 100,000 cops on the street, wrote the Violence Against Women Act, which John McCain voted against both of them, was the catalyst to change the circumstance in Bosnia, led by President Clinton, obviously.

Look, I understand what it's like to be a single parent. When my wife and daughter died and my two sons were gravely injured, I understand what it's like as a parent to wonder what it's like if your kid's going to make it.

I understand what it's like to sit around the kitchen table with a father who says, "I've got to leave, champ, because there's no jobs here. I got to head down to Wilmington. And when we get enough money, honey, we'll bring you down."

I understand what it's like. I'm much better off than almost all Americans now. I get a good salary with the United States Senate. I live in a beautiful house that's my total investment that I have. So I -- I am much better off now.

But the notion that somehow, because I'm a man, I don't know what it's like to raise two kids alone, I don't know what it's like to have a child you're not sure is going to -- is going to make it -- I understand.

I understand, as well as, with all due respect, the governor or anybody else, what it's like for those people sitting around that kitchen table. And guess what? They're looking for help. They're looking for help. They're not looking for more of the same.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »

Really?

IRT evil: You don't think congress is evil? These are people that routinely manipulate people's lives toward the end of their own personal prosperity. That's . . . that's what pimps and mobsters do.

IRT to libertarian: YES, obviously, if I think joe biden is a jerk, I'm a libritarian. That makes sense.

I think Joe Biden is a new england stuffed shirt Happy White Democrat.

I can hate the shit out of Joe Biden and people like him in a very politically neutral way, and I can make an offhand comment about what a douche he is without having any particular feeling about his politics.

Check this out: I actually agree politically with many people I think are jerks. But draw conclusions about me if you want.

He quickly found a job AFTER MOVING. That means they spent quite some time looking in the old neighborhood.

What's wrong with New England? Do have a problem high literacy and ethnic and religious diversity?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.