As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What is The Jejune Institute?

AlasBabylonAlasBabylon Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Critical Failures
logo.jpg
products1.jpg
What the Jejune Institute is most celebrated for today is the many advanced technological products and services they have brought to the global marketplace. Through the use of metaphysics, mind sciences, and other nontraditional systems, the Institute has developed an astonishing array of patents, all of which are designed to actualize the latent untapped capabilities of the human species.

So what exactly is the Jejune Institute? Simply put, I don't know. But here's what I do know, and together, with it, I'm hoping you can help me figure this all out.

Well for starters, I live in San Francisco, and with that I've already told you probably the most exciting thing about my life. I like the flavor the city offers. It seems like every weekend there's something going on somewhere, and the locals can be very colorful. But after a while, woefully, a lot of the extraordinary things register less and less on one's radar and settle into the common-place.

So it came as no real surprise to me when I spotted this flier on the side of a bus shell recently:
memorytomediafliercu5.jpg
I still photograph and pass along the funnier things I find for the folks back home, so this was no exception. It's hard to make out, but it reads, in part:
Here at the MEMORY-TO-MEDIA CENTER we are able to render moving video images from your active memory. It begins with an analog signal produced by your brain waves. As the memory is recalled, electrodes places on the scalp detect the signals which are then processed and recorded. The result is a frame-by-frame transcription of the recalled event. Through our patented optical converters, we are able to see a visual likeness of your recollections. With this special system YOUR MEMORIES can be saved to VHS cassette!

blah blah blah, you sorta get the idea. It then goes on to list some of the features of the program and actually offers up some sort of address and phone number at the bottom.
580 California Street [Suite 2400]
San Francisco, CA 94104
(415) 325-4822
That was that, and I thought nothing more of it, until talking with my father a couple weeks later. He brought up the Memory to Media Center flier, saying it reminded him of Philip K. Dick. Sure sure, I said. I could see that. Then he asked me if I called the number.

Buh?

It never even crossed my mind to see if the number at the bottom of the flier was legit or not. And it turns out, it is. I think. I dunno. Go ahead and call, I'll wait.

See. See? Like what the hell is that? The voicemail talks about recording techinicians, a doctor that's available during Solar & Lunar eclipses (as well as waning moons--what a deal!), and finally: it gives the web address for The Jejune Institute. I started digging around the web to see what I could find on this crazy cult looking place.

It was a real hit and miss search. Some things that came up seemed legit (but then, so does the actual site), while others seemed like they might be bogus (then again so does the site!). What I was left with was my initial question: What is the Jejune Institute? Almost as if in reply, I got a terribly mysterious email from something called the Elsewhere Public Works.
: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: ::
:: : :: : :: : :: :
Special Transmission from:
Elsewhere Public Works Agency
: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: ::
Slight Nudges Now Offered.
Solely for the Discerning Dilettante.
Be Aware - it could be in the wrong direction.
: :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : :: : ::
Is the Jejune Institute still spreading false
nonchalance? Or have they mended their ways?
We need you to find out.
/ // / // Next steps // / // / /
dial: 415.325.4014
visit:
The Jejune Institute
580 California Street, Suite 1607
San Francisco, CA.
Tuesday through Saturday
Noon to 5:30pm
http://JejuneInstitute.org

And all this EPW business kicked back bizarre results like "Synthetic Telepathy" and "Microwave Harassment". Which, I'll spare you the belabored search, led to this Flickr search result:
2759189458_f8fa115a4f.jpg
That parlayed into the discovery that I was not alone in this search. Turns out there have been some other cats digging into this thing, with varying results.

So where this leaves me now is thinking about dropping by the Jejune Institute's offices, but I admit I'm a little hesitant. It's one thing to blow off time at work looking this stuff up, and it's another entirely to actually go there. So yeah, you could say I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm curious about seeing what this malarkey is all about, but I'm not completely committed to the idea yet, and for good reason. I wanted to ask around first, test the waters, see who knows what.

So... Any freakin' idea?

AlasBabylon on

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, first gather some buddies, grab a couple of d20s, and hit the tabletop.

Then...

Wait.

Why are you posting here?
    Check this out, it'll be good for a laugh. But, uh, 'divine nonchalance'? gtfo.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Why are you posting here?

Because I've lurked long enough on PA to know what goes where? :P

AlasBabylon on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    you know, looking at the website, I'm pretty sure this has no business in the tabletop forum

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Seriously guys, is that how we're gonna role after I lovingly labored over that post? :P It's cool, I assure you. I wanted to share this and get some help, but didn't know entirely where to put it either, so I asked a mod what forum this was best suited for and was directed here.

Really, the last thing I want is to kick things off on the wrong foot, but it's hard to avoid that with all the back seat modding going on :|

AlasBabylon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    dude, this forum is about tabletop gaming. wargaming. roleplaying games.

not investigating fake cults. try social entropy?

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Although, this Jejune institute would be an interesting group in a WoD context.

Perhaps Mages, working to spread divine nonchalance so they can practice vulgar magic without fear of paradox?

Rainfall on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This seems like an ARG, and deciphering those is a form of gaming... sort of.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    This is an ARG, and as such, is best suited for this forum.

CA

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, either this is an ARG or a secret society/front for the mod operated entirely by neckbeards and girls with glasses.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    See, this is what creeps me out about ARGs. How do we really KNOW that it's a game? I mean, there's a lot of mentally disturbed people out there... someone might actually believe whatever they're selling on that flyer.

Hopefully it is a game. If it's not, I wouldn't risk investigating these wierdos too much. People with psychotic and/or delusional ideologies tend to get violent (or at least very pushy) when outsiders start poking around.

EDIT: Okay, did a brief web search, it is definitely an ARG, which is at least a relief. Creepy! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2008
    dude, this forum is about tabletop gaming. wargaming. roleplaying games.

not investigating fake cults. try social entropy?

Sit down in the backseat, son. Daddy's driving this forum.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    haha fair 'nuff.

it didn't even occur to me that this was an ARG

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I mean you could at least have offered to run a Delta Green game about investigating the Jejune Institute, that'd be entertaining.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have no idea what this is (or an ARG is) but I enjoy your writing OP.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I imagine this would be much more interesting if we actually lived in San Francisco and could visit the office. Or does simply calling the number suffice?

Quoth on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have no idea what this is, but I do know that you are going to drink poisoned cool aid when Haley's Comet passes over head so you can hitch a ride on their spaceship

geuu_01_img0206.jpg

http://www.jejuneinstitute.org/foundmess.htm

Edit: Arg= Alternate Reality Game. Basically its a game that is "played" as if it were reality

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    At first glance, I thought the first post was laying out the setting for a game he was running.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Alright awesome, guys! If what you are talking about is true, then this looks like it this will be something fun worth looking into. I'm not sure when this means I'll get a chance to go, probably sometime next week (or weekend), but I'll keep the thread updated as I do so.

As a side note, if anyone is in the bay area that'd be interested in doing it with me, let me know and we can coordinate something.

AlasBabylon on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I did some digging over at Unfiction, and yes, you should go check it out. Make sure to have your Puzzle Brain in if you go, there's a few. Also, have a cell phone and a notebook on you, you'll probably be taking some notes and there's a phone call you need to make.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm trying random logins at the jejune institute site.
    Any leads?

(I guess I should probably start reading what's already known tho)

EDIT:
    Just fucking read this thread. This is awesome. Dude goes to the institute to snoop. Gets videotaped doing it and the jejune dudes post it in that thread. Shits bricks.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, the password for the site's over in the Unfiction thread.
    Looks like a count-down to the 19'th after the website's done falling apart... and some song playing in the background.

If anyone's planning on heading over to check it out, I'd probably recommend against reading any spoilers, sounds like it's cooler to see it in person.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, it sounds pretty neat. If only they had one of these in FL....

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This shit is great. Upon reading the OP I had a feeling this was some sort of ARG, or maybe its just some people who are suspecting to lure ARG'ers and do some crazy shit. :) Anyways cool post and thanks for sharing! I think I got my wife hooked on this.

Yarr!

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Alright, so I swung by the Jejune Institute yesterday and snapped some pictures of the exterior. The address is 580 California St, and isn't too hard to miss. The cable-car runs right in front of it, and it's across from the giant Bank of America building. Basically it's just right to the sound of a thousand bankers crying out in agony in unison.

Here's a shot of the building in question:
    jejune04lq6.jpg
    jejune05ca6.jpg
    It's the one with the trio of creepy lady-statues on top. Anyone know what those are all about?

A wee bit closer to the building:
    jejune03ok2.jpg
    jejune02rq3.jpg

And here's the actual front door!
    jejune01ek6.jpg

Now, I didn't have time to actually go in this time. This was more of a fact-finding mission, but now that I know where it is, I'm going to be heading back on Saturday.

4arch, I'm not sure about a log in (though I suspect someone out there already knows the answer), but I'll keep everyone posted on what I find.

AlasBabylon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The "login" is posted on the unfiction thread regarding this, but still go to the induction thing.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Awww, I got BotP'd! D:
    Alright, so I swung by the Jejune Institute yesterday and snapped some pictures of the exterior. The address is 580 California St, and isn't too hard to miss. The cable-car runs right in front of it, and it's across from the giant Bank of America building. Basically it's just right to the sound of a thousand bankers crying out in agony in unison.

Here's a shot of the building in question:
    jejune04lq6.jpg
    jejune05ca6.jpg
    It's the one with the trio of creepy lady-statues on top. Anyone know what those are all about?

A wee bit closer to the building:
    jejune03ok2.jpg
    jejune02rq3.jpg

And here's the actual front door!
    jejune01ek6.jpg

Now, I didn't have time to actually go in this time. This was more of a fact-finding mission, but now that I know where it is, I'm going to be heading back on Saturday.

4arch, I'm not sure about a log in (though I suspect someone out there already knows the answer), but I'll keep everyone posted on what I find.
    The "login" is posted on the unfiction thread regarding this, but still go to the induction thing.

Thanks, Crimson. I still intend to go, otherwise I'd feel like I might have missed (or missed out) on something.

AlasBabylon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, I would definitely go if I was you, and try to figure stuff out for myself :)

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The wife and I visited the Jejune Institute yesterday/today. Good fun overall and we'll post pictures in a couple days when we get back to Monterey. Definitely a good idea to do this with a friend though as there were a couple occasions where one person was taking the lead and missing blatantly obvious clues.

Quid on
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm Quid's wife. This is definitely worth checking out. I'll get some pictures uploaded at some point, but I might wait to post them if there are people who are going to try this out.

Also, make sure you have a dollar and some change on you as well.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jejune is a bunch of bums trying to get a dollar and some change from you.

*shakes head in disappointment*

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So here are some pictures. If you plan on going to the Jejune Institute don't look because it will ruin some of the fun.

Why, yes, Q, we found your little lost "alley" cat.
    01.jpg

The man in the distance who can lead to the traitor.
    02-1.jpg

Across from "potter's way"...
    03.jpg

While Louie was out we saw what was not there. Here's one of the views:
    04-1.jpg

Eddie, we got your number!
    05-1.jpg

radroadkill on
This discussion has been closed.