As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

F-Zero GX - For those who like it hard & fast

• Options
    Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I will toss out the fact that I played F-Zero AX the last time I went to Vegas. The arcade at the Luxor has a single unit, but it is a top-end model that moves your seat while you play. It is hard to even describe how awesome (and tense) it is to play that game with a force-feedback wheel and chair. Also I took my memory card with me, so I have the AX tracks and cars unlocked (but the tracks are only in practice mode, wtf?).

Not long after that trip I discovered that a Gameworks near me has two AX units, but they are not the high-end units and both have busted sound, so it's nowhere near as cool.

If I was rich I would toss money at it until someone was able to set me up with 2-4 linked AX cabinets capable of playing all the GX tracks and racers along with the AX tracks. That would be orgasmic.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Antillese wrote:
    Dareth Ram wrote:
    Coincidentally, this is also the best game from the whole "Nintendo will license out its 2nd and third tier games" philosophy.
    It's also the only good game from the whole "Nintendo will license out its 2nd and third tier games" philosophy.
    Metroid doesn't count? What about the Mario RPG lines?

And the Capcom Zelda games.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    OtsegoOtsego Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yes. F-Zero GX is amazing. Whenever it came out, I bought it thinking it would just be an ok game and a fun diversion for a little while, but it totally sucked me in and it is just a plain awesome game. I don't think I've played a racing game as good as it since.

Otsego on
    mastersword.jpg
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Antillese wrote:
    Dareth Ram wrote:
    Coincidentally, this is also the best game from the whole "Nintendo will license out its 2nd and third tier games" philosophy.
    It's also the only good game from the whole "Nintendo will license out its 2nd and third tier games" philosophy.

Minish Cap?

Fantastic game.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    Milquetoast ThugMilquetoast Thug Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I've also heard that it is possible, via nigh-impossible feats of MAD SKILLZ to unlock the AX tracks in in the game. Has anybody actually done this, and how? Was use of dark magic involved?

Milquetoast Thug on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I've also heard that it is possible, via nigh-impossible feats of MAD SKILLZ to unlock the AX tracks in in the game. Has anybody actually done this, and how? Was use of dark magic involved?

Everyone knows that.

Complete every cup on master.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Man, i loved this game. Too bad i sucked so much. i couldn't even beat like the 3rd story mission, my ship was always too slow and they would just pull ahead of me. :P

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    PotU wrote:
    Antillese wrote:
    Dareth Ram wrote:

Minish Cap?

Fantastic game.

Also the two Oracle Games.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    PotU wrote:

Everyone knows that.

I thought you has to beat Story Mode as well.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    TofenheimerTofenheimer Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    PotU wrote:

Everyone knows that.

Story mode on hard(or is that very hard) unlocks either the AX-machines or machine-parts.

Tofenheimer on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    unlocking AX cup isnt that bad, story mode is much worse

the AX cup is sooooo very worth it though

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    PotU wrote:
    Antillese wrote:
    Dareth Ram wrote:

Minish Cap?

Fantastic game.

Also the two Oracle Games.

Capcom is awesome.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    PotU wrote:

Everyone knows that.

Story mode on hard(or is that very hard) unlocks either the AX-machines or machine-parts.
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK!!!

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    aeolistaeolist Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    PotU wrote:

Everyone knows that.

Very hard.

I have two. That robot and that girl with the sunglasses.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    aeolist wrote:

Yeah... No.

I don't want to break my arm at the later tracks.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The story mode H/VH runs are what made me quit the game.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The final VH mission made me quit.

Mission 5 VH made me break my first television. It was a good thing though, because it was getting up there in years.

BladeOfSanjuro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I would like to play F-Zero more, but it's just so fucking balls hard. Also, can anyone recommend a good 3rd party s-video cable for the cube? Maybe a 3-in-1 s-video cable so I can keep my cube, ps2, and xbox on s-video all the time?

I would like to play F-Zero, and a sharper screen would help.

Renzo on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I bought the official wheel just for the game. It doesn't make the game any easier at all :(

solsovly on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I just started playing this game again, and man is it awesome.

AND HARD. I don't think a racing game shy of the GT license tests has been this difficult. I'm trying to unlox the AX tracks (I was almost there, but then had to delete my save info because it locks itself to a memory card).

In short, F-Zero is amazing. Agree? Disagree?

Yes. Completely fucking amazing. Though they made it a bit too hard to unlock everything. I broke down and used an Action Replay to give me an edge at unlocking the AX cup. Totally worth it though. By the way the Action Replay can unlock all of the Japan-only machine parts, and let you build some custom racers that were supposed to be exclusive give-away and region specific type deals.

We need F-Zero Wii-X. It should have all the tracks from F-Zero X, GX, and AX. It should have a buttload of new tracks. It should have a track builder that lets you create custom tracks (a-la F-Zero Xpansion for the N64DD) and share them over the internets.

Man that would rock.

Also online 30 person races!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited October 2006
    solsovly wrote:
    I bought the official wheel just for the game. It doesn't make the game any easier at all :(

There's an official wheel??

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    I would like to play F-Zero more, but it's just so fucking balls hard. Also, can anyone recommend a good 3rd party s-video cable for the cube? Maybe a 3-in-1 s-video cable so I can keep my cube, ps2, and xbox on s-video all the time?

I grabbed one just like you described from Best Buy. I don't remember the brand, but it has gold plated contacts and I believe I found it with the X-Box stuff (despite working with Gamecube and PS2 as well). Works like a dream, and it does really help with playing F-Zero. Though I imagine progressive scan would be the best. Ah well, no HDTV for me.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    WOOOO!

My favorite Gamecube game. evar.

I still need to beat the last very hard story mission, though. So close.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I still need to beat the last very hard story mission, though. So close.
    Me too. That Ghost is too feckin fast for me to catch up. I also fall off a lot.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    PotU wrote:

Very hard.
    Well, the good news is that not every AX Machine is unlocked by beating Very Hard Mode Story Chapters. You get one of 'em just for beating the entire story mode and you get another for beating the entire story mode on Hard.

On second thought, that might not be all that comforting actually.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    F-Zero GX is one of the greatest racers ever for the simple reason that it has no rubberbanding.

If you think it does, then you just suck.

Beating Mission 7 is fairly easy, actually, as if you attack to your left immediately upon the start of the race, Black Bull will die. Then you need only worry about Blood Falcon and Skull, both of whom are incompetent boobs compared with Black Shadow.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Taramoor wrote:
    F-Zero GX is one of the greatest racers ever for the simple reason that it has no rubberbanding.

Excuse me?

Joeslop on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    You know, I never got the obsession with killing Black Bull in Chapter 7. In all my attempts at Chapter 7 (and they have been many) I always beat it without trashing any machine at any point. This held true for every difficulty level.

And when I do go around busting up Black Bull, Blood Falcon and every other serious competitor out there I get overtaken at the last second by the Space Angler.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I found an arcade in London that had F-Zero AX and went armed with my memory card. Turns out AX doesn't work with PAL game saves. Oh how I cried.

Cullen on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Joeslop wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:

Excuse me?
    I'm pretty sure there isn't rubberbanding. I've been able to get super far ahead and there was a realistic time difference between me and 2nd place. If there is some form of rubberbanding then it's really subtle, like all racers below you have a slightly higher max speed or something.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I don't have this game, but I do own the soundtrack.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Joeslop wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:

Excuse me?
    I'm pretty sure there isn't rubberbanding. I've been able to get super far ahead and there was a realistic time difference between me and 2nd place. If there is some form of rubberbanding then it's really subtle, like all racers below you have a slightly higher max speed or something.

Story Mode Chapter 7 has rubberbanding out the ass. Maybe the Grand Prix and such modes don't, but Story Mode is pretty well stacked against you.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Just thinking about this game gives me a big rubbery one. Now I want to leave work and use my submarine racer because it is crappy, is tie-died, and looks like... a submarine....

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited October 2006
    F-Zero looked good on my old piece of crap TV with AV cables, but where it really blew me away was on the display monitor at Toys R Us. Really remarkable visuals on a good display.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Joeslop wrote:
    Joeslop wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:

Excuse me?

Story Mode Chapter 7 has rubberbanding out the ass. Maybe the Grand Prix and such modes don't, but Story Mode is pretty well stacked against you.

The thing to remember is that because of the boosts/mines, it's nigh impossible to differentiate between rubber banding and boosting. I'm pretty sure there isn't any as well, just because I've been able to maintain a healthy lead as long as I don't fuck up. In games with rubberbanding, maintaining a lead is basically impossible.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Renzo wrote:

I grabbed one just like you described from Best Buy. I don't remember the brand, but it has gold plated contacts and I believe I found it with the X-Box stuff (despite working with Gamecube and PS2 as well). Works like a dream, and it does really help with playing F-Zero. Though I imagine progressive scan would be the best. Ah well, no HDTV for me.
    Can you keep multiple systems plugged in at the same time? I don't really want to keep moving those contacts. And F-Zero and Zelda need the sharpness.

How much was this cable, by the way?

Renzo on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Joeslop wrote:
    Joeslop wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:

Excuse me?

No it does not.

I've managed to beat Story Mode 7 on Very Hard without killing Black Shadow, simply by being better than him and not making any mistakes.

The same on Chapters 2, 3, 8, and 9.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Joeslop wrote:
    Joeslop wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:

Excuse me?

The thing to remember is that because of the boosts/mines, it's nigh impossible to differentiate between rubber banding and boosting. I'm pretty sure there isn't any as well, just because I've been able to maintain a healthy lead as long as I don't fuck up. In games with rubberbanding, maintaining a lead is basically impossible.

I can't get past story mission 2 because Goroh has infinite boosts.

Seriously, what's with that? Every time I get ahead of him, he's got more boost left. There are no health recharges on that level, and if I boost that much my car goes boom.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Joeslop wrote:
    Joeslop wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:

Excuse me?

I can't get past story mission 2 because Goroh has infinite boosts.

Seriously, what's with that? Every time I get ahead of him, he's got more boost left. There are no health recharges on that level, and if I boost that much my car goes boom.

Meter your boost.

He boosts at certain times in the race if I recall. Also, your boost is more helpful in straightaways so it's best to save it for those opportunities (especially with the final stretch in the end. If Goroh catches you without boost in that final stretch he WILL beat you.)

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon