As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old HALO TBK Thread - GO TO THE NEW ONE!

• LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    going on

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • superslothsupersloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can_Calyx wrote: »
    So, Cold Storage isn't a legendary map for achievements?
    I've been playing FFA for four days and have yet to get Oddball on anything else.

there's one on ghost town in the hopper, that's how i got it, took forever though.

supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You guys seen this yet? Halo 2 gets a little shot out courtesy of Seth Rogen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olpCyDA4kYA

SEND THIS VIDEO TO FIVE FRIENDS OR BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN

Also this is terrifying:
    Palin_final_05_fullsize.jpg

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    2 quick questions;

Estimate on the Mythic map pack?

and

Why the hell do all the screenshots for Halo 3 look like they were taken with a super computer running the game at 10x the resolution it actually runs at? Seriously, even the Assembly pictures from PAX. The game does not look like that. It isn't even remotely that clean.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The screenshots are at 1920x1080 and have some added anti-aliasing.

Apart from that extra AA, it looks the same on my hdtv.

Ranced on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    1) bungie is making announcement at TGS

2) there's an article on bungie.net about it, but the game does render screenshots at like 5x the real resolution, and applies better AA and Anisotropic filtering, and does it tile based etc

it does look that clean though. .to me. screenshots just look smoother.

FyreWulff on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    2 quick questions;

and

Why the hell do all the screenshots for Halo 3 look like they were taken with a super computer running the game at 10x the resolution it actually runs at? Seriously, even the Assembly pictures from PAX. The game does not look like that. It isn't even remotely that clean.

You need to be running a HDTV to look that nice. But ya, they add a bit too much on the screen caps.

Viscountalpha on
  • sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Thanks to Bungie, you too can make all of your in-game antics into bullshots! Tomorrow's my next night off, so I'm having beast mode withdrawals.

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My television is standard definition with an S-video connection. So yeah, my game doesn't look as smooth as the screenshots either.

I'm happy with it, though. 8-)

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
    edited October 2008
    So I've pretty much decided against creating a new account, and will just hold out hope that I'll be able to rank up eventually even with all of my losses logged into my Trueskill. It's too much trouble to create a new account, and costly.

I'll be on early afternoon for some Halo if anyone's down.

AuburnTiger on
  • sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    protip: if you're the last person to post an you've got something else to say, you can use the edit button. I don't know why more people don't do that. Is it something frowned upon by mods?

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    not everyone bothers doing that because it's not that big of a deal

Ranced on
  • YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There is an honest to god thread about 'clutch' and 'beast mode' moments on the bungie forums right now, fuck.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
    edited October 2008
    Yorker wrote: »
    There is an honest to god thread about 'clutch' and 'beast mode' moments on the bungie forums right now, fuck.

Links please! :P

AuburnTiger on
    edited October 2008
    Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
    edited October 2008
    "Clutch is when you are in a very tight situation, When you do somethign amazing. It comes from when you grip your controller so hard you clutch it."

"It's when you pull out a win against all odds. Like there are ten seconds left score 49-47, and someone on your team springs a triple kill. Clutch."

8-)

AuburnTiger on
    edited October 2008
    2 quick questions;

and

You need to be running a HDTV to look that nice. But ya, they add a bit too much on the screen caps.

I am, I'm running the game at 1080p.

I'm not saying it looks bad but there are a lot of jaggies (a lot), and as firewulff said, the screenshots apply a lot of anti-aliasing and are of a higher resolution.
    FyreWulff wrote: »

2) there's an article on bungie.net about it, but the game does render screenshots at like 5x the real resolution, and applies better AA and Anisotropic filtering, and does it tile based etc

I can't find this article. I found an old interview saying the screenshots were about 1.5x the resolution of the game when you take them though.

I'm going to try to get a good picture with my camera and post it. Right after i got my 1080p monitor and HDMI I think I posted in the last Halo3 thread asking about this same thing and I ended up just assuming that what I see is what it's supposed to look like even though it's not nearly as nice as the screenshots.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited October 2008
    Ok, i took a couple pictures to try to illustrate what I'm saying.

Just linking them because ZOMG HEUG! (both size and filesize).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16221788@N00/2915505774/sizes/l/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/16221788@N00/2914665029/sizes/l/

Actually apparently looks like flickr cut down on the filesize and image size. But you can still see what I'm saying. I think.

That's at 1080p.

The Dude With Herpes on

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Those screenshots look kinda weird...my screen doesn't look like that.

However with the official screenshots it seems they use a higher level of dynamic lighting. They do look crisper

Dixon on
    edited October 2008
    Dixon wrote: »

However with the official screenshots it seems they use a higher level of dynamic lighting. They do look crisper

Well, to be fair I'm not much of a photographer. The game doesn't look that saturated on my screen, its just the lighting and my inability to take a good picture. I was mainly referring to jaggies/unclean texture lines that you just don't see in the "official" screenshots.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited October 2008
    Oh man Auburn, you should see if you can get the game hooked up to a computer monitor or something, I find an HD set helps a lot. Also I have a lot more games where we start with the AR and I love it. Something I do hate though is that we start with the pistol, I always forget and then pick up a weapon - say the sniper rifle - and then when I go to switch back to my AR in a tight situation I pull out that shitty pistol.

Dixon on
    edited October 2008
    Oh man Auburn, you should see if you can get the game hooked up to a computer monitor or something, I find an HD set helps a lot. Also I have a lot more games where we start with the AR and I love it. Something I do hate though is that we start with the pistol, I always forget and then pick up a weapon - say the sniper rifle - and then when I go to switch back to my AR in a tight situation I pull out that shitty pistol.

Oh yeah I have the same problem. It's gotten to where now though I just remember to switch to the magnum and THEN pick up another weapon. But it was confusing at first.

I have a question for those who know more about the Trueskill system. Do all those losses that acquired in Team Slayer make it more difficult for me to level up in other playlists (such as Doubles or Squad) as well?

AuburnTiger on
    edited October 2008

Well, to be fair I'm not much of a photographer. The game doesn't look that saturated on my screen, its just the lighting and my inability to take a good picture. I was mainly referring to jaggies/unclean texture lines that you just don't see in the "official" screenshots.

It's just that when you take screenshots from a film it anti-aliases them, whereas it normally doesn't do that as it'd slow the game down.

Willeth on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey guys, you guys have technical skills right? Hwo do you check what your MAC address for your laptop is?

Succesful help here should mean I'll be able to play with a wired 2mps(well two something) connction. Not ideal but vastly better then wireless connection to a router half a campus away.

Also is it more or less that nerdy that the first thing MAC reminds me of is the weapon?

Leitner on
    edited October 2008
    Leitner wrote: »
    Hey guys, you guys have technical skills right? Hwo do you check what your MAC address for your laptop is?

Succesful help here should mean I'll be able to play with a wired 2mps(well two something) connction. Not ideal but vastly better then wireless connection to a router half a campus away.

Also is it more or less that nerdy that the first thing MAC reminds me of is the weapon?

Maybe this will help?

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-the-MAC-Address-of-Your-Computer

AuburnTiger on
    edited October 2008
    If you're on a laptop it might be scrawled on the bottom somewhere.

Willeth on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My tv is SD and I don't have jaggies or anything, it's really quite smooth. Looks like the sses I take, weird huh?

SkutSkut on
    edited October 2008

Maybe this will help?

When I hit start I don't get a run option, possibly because I'm using vista. Also does that mean a computers IP address is the same as its MAC address?

Leitner on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i dunno, i think halo at 720p looks really fuckin rad

also i can take picture that are
    TEH HUGEEEE
    2m699bc.jpg

Local H Jay on
    edited October 2008
    IP address is the address assinged by your router or interenet provider. The MAC address is the physical address of the adapter. What you do is hit the Windows key + R. This will bring up the Run window, type command in there command and that brings up the dos like window. In there type "ipconfig /all" without the quotations. This will list a bunch of information, and you can check your MAC address. It may not say MAC address though it may say physical address, it is the same thing though.

Dixon on
    edited October 2008

Maybe this will help?

When I hit start I don't get a run option, possibly because I'm using vista. Also does that mean a computers IP address is the same as its MAC address?

I don't believe an IP address is the same as a MAC address. Try this one:

http://helpdesk.oneonta.edu/xoops/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=137

AuburnTiger on
    edited October 2008
    IP address is the address assinged by your router or interenet provider. The MAC address is the physical address of the adapter. What you do is hit the Windows key + R. This will bring up the Run window, type command in there command and that brings up the dos like window. In there type "ipconfig /all" without the quotations. This will list a bunch of information, and you can check your MAC address. It may not say MAC address though it may say physical address, it is the same thing though.

Okay that worked and I've got my physcial address (five sets of two letters/numbers). What should be the final question. How do I give this to my xbox?

Thanks in advance.

Leitner on
    edited October 2008
    what do you mean how do you give this to your xbox...what are you trying to do?

If you are using your computer as a bridge to get internet to your xbox then you go to the system blade in the xbox, then go network settings, then go to edit settings, then go right and go to additonal settings then go to the second option that says advanced settings

Dixon on
    edited October 2008
    what do you mean how do you give this to your xbox...what are you trying to do?

"Xbox Live is allowed on the network but to get this working you will need to assign your Xbox the same MAC (aka physical) address as your PC which you have signed up with. To get your MAC address on the screen please follow these steps:

XP users: Start > Run > type CMD > type IPCONFIG/ALL > your physical address is listed"

It's an internet service provided by my Uni.

Edit: Alright found testing.

Leitner on
    edited October 2008
    yeah I edited my post after I realised what you were doing, and put the info in sorry...:P

Hopefully it works

Dixon on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Seeing as I caved in and bought the Legendary pack yesterday...

They'll announce the Mythic pack will be released next month and that the Legendary Pack will be free then as well.

Cause thats how it goes.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited October 2008
    yeah I edited my post after I realised what you were doing, and put the info in sorry...:P

Hopefully it works

I'm not actually using my computer as a bridge. What I'm attempting to do is hook my xbox straight up to a socket in the wall. My computer works fine doing this (I can browse the web etc). My 360, not so much. At the moment it's fallng down at the MTU stage, now I'm 99% sure that's not because the connection isn't fast enough.

All the advice cablecom has for getting on live is that part I've quoted. Well I've done that, still no luck.

Leitner on
    edited October 2008
    I just played some MLG, and god, amplified has to be the worst map i've ever played.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
    edited October 2008

Hopefully it works

I'm not actually using my computer as a bridge. What I'm attempting to do is hook my xbox straight up to a socket in the wall. My computer works fine doing this (I can browse the web etc). My 360, not so much. At the moment it's fallng down at the MTU stage, now I'm 99% sure that's not because the connection isn't fast enough.

All the advice cablecom has for getting on live is that part I've quoted. Well I've done that, still no luck.

I bet the school has limited the MTU amount I believe it has to be around the 14920 mark, maybe a bit under. This is a change that has to be made to the router though that is controlling the network. However I find it hard it hard to believe that no one else in the building has an xbox. Maybe talk to other people that are having a similiar problem.

Maybe you should try using the computer as a bridge

Dixon on
    edited October 2008
    I bet the school has limited the MTU amount I believe it has to be around the 14920 mark, maybe a bit under. This is a change that has to be made to the router though that is controlling the network. However I find it hard it hard to believe that no one else in the building has an xbox. Maybe talk to other people that are having a similiar problem.

Maybe you should try using the computer as a bridge

I'm pretty sure it isn't that. I had a similar fault last year when I was attempting to set it up on a different network, suffice to say I wasn't the one who fixed it in the end. I can't use my pc as a bridge as it only has one network port. Unfortunalty I appear to have screwed up the original network I had so can no longer access live. So I won't be on tonight, tommorow I'll call their support services and see if they can help me.

Leitner on