As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo 64 Obscure Games Thread: Quality Optional

• Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Tons of people love that game. So many that its not even obscure. The fact that it and its sequel came out on so many systems doesn't help the obscurity angle at all. It was a massively successful arcade style beat em up.

The N64 version was hated by all who I knew in real life and what reviews I read for it were horrible. On another note, I moderately enjoyed the story mode in Dr. Mario 64.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    N64 was the best version of Legends outside of the arcade. Dreamcast or GCN had the best version of Dark Legacy, the 1.5ish sequel to Legends.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    That works for me.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    QonasQonas Detroit, MIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh. My. God, ohmygod, ohmygod...
    Man, this thread has me remembering why I loved the N64 so much.

I've played or heard of most of the games in this thread, and my favourite by far has been Mischief Makers. I was always a huge nerd for video game music, and something about the theme just did it for me. Everything else was awesome too, but the music was just great.

Maybe it's not as obscure as I thought, but no mention of Ogre Battle 64? That was an amazing game.

6b_8.JPG

Yes it was excellent.

Yet another game that needs to be on the VC.
    Falstaff wrote: »

YESSSSSSSSSSS

But I've barred myself from investing any more time in thinking about Ogre Battle. I just end up sad, knowing there'll never be another.

I still go through it again once a year or so to remind myself how awesome it was.

Wow. I could've sworn I was the only one who played and loved the Ogre Battle games (the ones released over here, anyways). And there's actually three others?! We need to form an Ogre Battle Fans Anonymous group. :P "Hi, I'm Qonas and I'm an Ogre Battle-aholic. I....I own a copy of the Ogre Battle 64 soundtrack."

Let me also throw in votes for Majora's Mask (though Ocarina of Time was much better in my opinion. The constant timer in Majora's Mask made me feel like the game was work rather than fun), Star Wars: Rogue Squadron and Shadows of the Empire, the various wrestling games (WCW vs nWo Revenge and WWF No Mercy were the best ones, although Wrestlemania 2000 was a close second), Blast Corps and Pilotwings 64.

Qonas on
    banner_default.jpg

There is not in all America a more dangerous trait than the deification of mere smartness unaccompanied by any sense of moral responsibility. - President Theodore Roosevelt
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ogre Battle 64 is the first game I sank 50+ hours into without beating. Damn fine game.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, I would like to see a next-gen Blast Corps.

That game was pretty rad.

All of these upcoming games like Fracture and Red Faction with destructible environments and such.

Get rid of that "game" crap and just let me drive vehicles through buildings for money.

And if you would be so kind, occasionally let me pilot giant mechs through buildings for money.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    apotheos wrote: »
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Quest64_bigwtmk.jpg
    AAAGH IT BURNS

I rented it once. Since I did not have a memory widget like it says on the cover there, I couldn't save my game, so I played through it without saving. I got pretty far before I got game over, but it was a pretty terrible game.

I always thought it was quite an enjoyable game, actually. I got about 60% of the way through it on a rental, but the combat system was constantly fun and the challenge was solid enough.

I never understood the hate people had for it.

It wasn't anything like FF and it was (could be) hard. So that made a lot of people angry. Me? I loved the damn game, and I have it sitting right next to my desk!

urahonky on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Glover_box.jpg

i'm actually iffy on how 'obscure' this is, but i never heard anything about it or saw it in stores, it was a gift from my uncle.
    basically you were this glove with a ball and you used your ball to platform and attack enemies. really fun and intuitive for me at the time. blew my 12 year old mind. and took me all day to remember the name of even if it's the simplest name ever.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    apotheos wrote: »
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Quest64_bigwtmk.jpg
    AAAGH IT BURNS

I rented it once. Since I did not have a memory widget like it says on the cover there, I couldn't save my game, so I played through it without saving. I got pretty far before I got game over, but it was a pretty terrible game.

I always thought it was quite an enjoyable game, actually. I got about 60% of the way through it on a rental, but the combat system was constantly fun and the challenge was solid enough.

I never understood the hate people had for it.

It wasn't anything like FF and it was (could be) hard. So that made a lot of people angry. Me? I loved the damn game, and I have it sitting right next to my desk!

The game was ahead of its time in so many ways, and has a fairly unique feel to it even now. While playing it you slowly crawled through a world that was massive for its time, filled with caves that seemed to be endless. Unfortunately, you slowly crawled through a massive world filled with caves that seemed to be endless. A good deal of the game's charm stemmed from how painful it was to accomplish things.

I'd love a sequel to Quest 64, though. Skies of Arcadia somewhat caught the feel of the dungeon design (maybe it was the lower camera angle), but I'd like something with a combat system closer to the original, perhaps in real time or something since the turn-based stuff felt awkward.

jothki on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hybrid Heaven; So Awesome. I loved that game. It had an interesting combat system along with interesting exploration and platforming elements. The graphics were fucking amazing for the time as well. With the expansion pack in, I had someone mistake it for Dreamcast graphics.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2008
    even if it's the simplest name ever.
    Actually I think Quest 64 takes that cake

Opium on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Qonas wrote: »
    Maybe it's not as obscure as I thought, but no mention of Ogre Battle 64? That was an amazing game.

6b_8.JPG

Yes it was excellent.

YESSSSSSSSSSS

But I've barred myself from investing any more time in thinking about Ogre Battle. I just end up sad, knowing there'll never be another.

Wow. I could've sworn I was the only one who played and loved the Ogre Battle games (the ones released over here, anyways). And there's actually three others?! We need to form an Ogre Battle Fans Anonymous group. :P "Hi, I'm Qonas and I'm an Ogre Battle-aholic. I....I own a copy of the Ogre Battle 64 .

March of the Black Queen was one of the best games on the SNES, with even deeper combat than the N64 iteration. I, for one, would've loved to see its tribute and weight systems carried over to OB64.

With a rebalancing of soldiers and legions
    And better enemy group formations with stronger AI
    And A GODDAMNED SEQU-Oh balls. Look what you've made me do.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The atmospherics and visuals of Quest were amazing. The Isle of Skye is still one of my favorite areas from any game.

And the excruciatingly hard boss battles.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Friggin Glover, I had that game. Fun times, despite it being ridiculously hard sometimes. I remember using cheats to get all the stages.

I did that with a lot of games. :(

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Everyone that has picked Ogre Battle 64 and Flying Dragon won so hard it's not funny.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Qonas wrote: »

6b_8.JPG

Yes it was excellent.

YESSSSSSSSSSS

Wow. I could've sworn I was the only one who played and loved the Ogre Battle games (the ones released over here, anyways). And there's actually three others?! We need to form an Ogre Battle Fans Anonymous group. :P "Hi, I'm Qonas and I'm an Ogre Battle-aholic. I....I own a copy of the Ogre Battle 64 .

March of the Black Queen was one of the best games on the SNES, with even deeper combat than the N64 iteration. I, for one, would've loved to see its tribute and weight systems carried over to OB64.

With a rebalancing of soldiers and legions
    And better enemy group formations with stronger AI
    And A GODDAMNED SEQU-Oh balls. Look what you've made me do.

You know if it hits VC and sales are great enough there could be a sequel...... worked for Sin & Punishment!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's been a looooong time since I played Quest 64, but I definitely remember disliking it strongly, or at least parts of it. Taking forever to get places does ring a bell.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Arceus wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »
    MacGuffin wrote: »
    Superman64box.jpg

I'm probably going to hell now.
    More like:
    superman64boxvq3.jpg

I... I don't get it. Is there supposed to be a difference between the two?
    wedding ring

Just to clarify, it is also on the wrong hand and wrong finger.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Let me tell you guys a story.

I went to summer camp when I was in middle school. When I came back, I see that this is missing from my collection.

SuperMario64Box.jpg

Where did it go?

Well, I look around, and I see that my brother has purchased two new games while I was gone.

But my brother is 10, and does not have any money. So where did he go? GameStop. And what did he trade in? Mario 64, a game I paid for out of my own pocket with my Christmas money.

Can anyone guess what the two games are?

They are

600854.jpg

and

114387468_daikatanalogo-735872.jpg

The above image is bigger for dramatic effect.

I hurt him. I hurt him so badly. He never did it again, but once was traumatizing enough.

I still don't have that game to this day. I have Mario 64 DS, but I never did reclaim Mario 64 from the depths of GameStop hell and destruction.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I remember coming home to find out my retarded seven year old brother erased my save file that had about 80 or so stars. This was my first game. Ever.

Hate.

And I still haven't gotten all 120 stars to this day, almost 10 years later.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Luckily, I completed the game before he did that to me.

But he DID do that to me in Star Fox. Right before I had all the medals. You know, back when they used to be hard and I didn't know the entire game through muscle memory alone.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh the good old days. I think I need to download Star Fox 64 again.

I can't come up with anymore obscure games though, except for like, incredibly random racing games I don't even remember. OH SHIT HOLD ON

TopGearRallyonN64.jpg

BAM

Maybe not too obscure but fun times were had with this game. Despite sucking at it horribly.

EDIT: Kay let's find an image that works.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The first time I played Command and Conquer was on the N64. My family and I played so much C&C on the 'ol 64 it was insane.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just went and did something illegal thanks to you guys and your god-damn thread, i hope your happy, ill be locked up before the nights through.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MH79 wrote: »

I can't come up with anymore obscure games though, except for like, incredibly random racing games I don't even remember. OH SHIT HOLD ON

TopGearRallyonN64.jpg

BAM

Maybe not too obscure but fun times were had with this game. Despite sucking at it horribly.

Oh man, that game was a blast, released VERY early in the system's lifetime too, if I recall. No other racing game on the 64 matched it. Remember the night races, with those "realistic" headlight beams? My mind was BLOWN as a kid seeing those from a video game for the first time.

The Listener on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I remember a few of the tracks. The lighthouse one mainly. I also remember a car that was like a beach ball on wheels, it was wierd. Again, cheats.

Man I used cheats all the time back then. What's happened to me?

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Has anyone mentioned Rayman 2?

Perhaps it wasn't obscure enough?

But dammit if it isn't one of the best damn games on the console and every other console it's graced.

It looked best on the PC. I still marvel today at how beautiful it was on the PC, and how massive it was, and how much I hated fighting Razorbeard on the barrel-jetpack thing.

The fight with Razorbeard was terrible, but the part right before it? Where you had to navigate around those corridors while riding that shell missile? And if you collided with anything, you had to start back at the beginning? Who's fucking idea was it to put that in the game.

Maybe that's why I've always liked the first Rayman more.

Masonite on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    2 words.

SHAKE-SHAKE!

You were late by 2 posts.

Also:

HEEEELP MEEEE MARIAAAAAAAA!

rayofash on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Masonite wrote: »

But dammit if it isn't one of the best damn games on the console and every other console it's graced.

It looked best on the PC. I still marvel today at how beautiful it was on the PC, and how massive it was, and how much I hated fighting Razorbeard on the barrel-jetpack thing.

The fight with Razorbeard was terrible, but the part right before it? Where you had to navigate around those corridors while riding that shell missile? And if you collided with anything, you had to start back at the beginning? Who's fucking idea was it to put that in the game.

And, wait, you're saying that the first Rayman was easier?

o_O

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It's bringing back some of that old-school difficulty. Those were the only two parts in the game to piss me off the same way I used to when playing the original Rayman. Mr. Stone? I spent hours in front of my computer screen fighting that asshole. Skops? Fuck.

Space Mama.

Rayman, to a younger kid, was one of the harder games I ever loved.

edit: and the soundtrack was bitchin'

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I remember a few of the tracks. The lighthouse one mainly. I also remember a car that was like a beach ball on wheels, it was wierd. Again, cheats.

Man I used cheats all the time back then. What's happened to me?

Games just don't have good cheats anymore. Or any cheats.

*looks at the games he owns*
    Brawl-no cheats
    Mario Kart-No cheats
    Okami-no cheats
    NMH-no cheats
    Galaxy-no cheats
    DS games-no cheats

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well I wouldn't expect any of those to have cheats to be honest. Except maybe NMH. But still, I remember flipping out reading Nintendo Power and seeing a game had like 20 codes to try out. Rogue Squadron for example. Replay value was instantly extended. Hell even the new Rogue Squadrons had them.

I guess as I grew up I just felt playing the game the way it was meant to be played is proper.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Games just don't have good cheats anymore. Or any cheats.

"Cheats" today mostly count as the following:

-What you have to do in the game to unlock every character/stage/etc.
    -Key combo to access a sound test or something similar
    -Strategies for taking on a level/boss

Of course it depends on the game. I popped open the latest Game Informer and the two featured games with the best cheat variety were WALL-E and SimCity DS. Those games had proper cheats.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

And, wait, you're saying that the first Rayman was easier?

o_O

Not necessarily.

If you're saying the first game was harder, then I must have it completely blocked out of my memory because I only remember how much fun I had with it. I guess there's no time like the present to pick it up again.

Was it cheap hard or just challenging? Because cheap shit like that just pisses me off.

Masonite on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Was it cheap hard or just challenging? Because cheap shit like that just pisses me off.

Don't play Rayman.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    vig8640b.jpg

Awesome vehicular combat, involving gun toting school buses and large white vans that fired deadly bee hives. Also had a quirky story that involved an alternate 1970s and a host of pretty bizzare characters. I remember I had a lot of fun playing multiplayer with my friends as a kid.

Beren39 on
    Go, Go, EXCALIBUR! - Trent Varsity Swim Team 2009, better watch out for me Phelps!
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

TopGearRallyonN64.jpg

BAM

Oh man, that game was a blast, released VERY early in the system's lifetime too, if I recall. No other racing game on the 64 matched it. Remember the night races, with those "realistic" headlight beams? My mind was BLOWN as a kid seeing those from a video game for the first time.
    I would drive around the tracks slowly just to admire the graphics and take in the realism. I felt like I was in another world!

Boy was I a dorky 12 year-old...

Also, Hybrid Heaven was AWESOME.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Let me tell you guys a story.

I went to summer camp when I was in middle school. When I came back, I see that this is missing from my collection.

SuperMario64Box.jpg

Of course, we only see this now in hindsight, but this boxart could have been used for Super Mario Galaxy.

We talked earlier about the San Francisco Rush games, and we have Midway to thank for that. Thanks, Midway!

Other N64 games from Midway that deserve a mention would be some of their sports games: Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey and NFL Blitz. Those were some good crazy times, especially when we'd use the "No First Downs" code in NFL Blitz.

And Beren just HAD to beat me to the mentioning of Vigilante 8! :evil:

To borrow from a previous post of mine about the game:
    Nothing quite beats driving a rocket-propelled school bus and bodychecking another car into one of the bunkers in Area 51 and then watch that bunker explode. This game is all about the kind of mindless destruction our parents didn't want us to play. And, come on, say it with me now. BASS QUAKE!

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm seriously considering either buying an N64 or Dreamcast again so I can play Shadowman ONE. MORE. TIME.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Quazar wrote: »

top gear rally

BAM

I would drive around the tracks slowly just to admire the graphics and take in the realism. I felt like I was in another world!

Boy was I a dorky 12 year-old...

Also, Hybrid Heaven was AWESOME.

Top Gear Rally was one racing game on the 64 that I remember having damage physics on the cars. I'd just drive a terrible as possible to see how bad I could mess my car up. Plus, you could have custom paint jobs. It was awesome and ahead of its time.

Getting on Gamespot and searching their database for games I remember, I tried to find another racing game, but I guess I gotta wait till I go back to parents house to see it. Anyway, here's some rentals I remember loving.
    cb1e2b81.jpg

54b7f279.jpg
    Not a rental, but loved it. Too bad it was always better to go the offroad route, unless you wanted an EXTREME challenge.

2294aa8d.jpg
    Owned as well, best of the bunch IMO.

c0d87bdc.jpg

01aaca6a.jpg
    I own this and part 2. I really wished I had part 3. I didn't even know there was a third.:shock:

23a9ff77.jpg
    The best snow boarding game. Ever.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png