As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rules-Light Systems

INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teethRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in Critical Failures
So I am trying to convert my dnd 3.5 game to a rules-light kind of system. I'm not really up and up on these, though, because usually I just stick my nose up at them and go from there.

My people are doing a test run with FATE right now, and so far, it seems pretty bulky. The rule-booklet isn't very clear or well-written, and it's kind of confusing. It's pretty simple I guess in the 'compare our two rolls and figure out who gets penalized' in combat, which really isn't doing it for me. I'd like fast and loose, but this just doesn't seem very fast!

Does anyone have any advice? I didn't really want to make a new thread for this, but we don't really have a general thread anywhere, alas!

INeedNoSalt on

• Options
    Shrieking EmuShrieking Emu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm a fan of the Ubiquity system, which forms the base of the RPGs Hollow Earth Expedition and the new post-apocalypse fantasy game Desolation. If you want to keep it with fantasy, Desolation's probably your best bet. What I like about Ubiquity is that it's adaptable to any genre you'd want to do with only a few tweaks here and there.

The system encourages role- over roll- playing with the use of Action Points (given out by the GM and spent by the players to add that extra cinematic touch) and Taking the Average on more mundane tasks to speed up play and reduce mindless rolls. It's a great system that's fast, fun, and all about the story. Highly recommended.

Shrieking Emu on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wait, do you want to actually convert a 3.5 game here, ie characters, setting, etc; or just switch from 3.5 to a different system, starting a new campaign?

If the later, I would recommend:

Mutants and Masterminds has very simple and clear cut rules, overall. Very easy to do on the fly without having to dig for refrences in the book (except for a couple of exceptions which you can just ignore).

Decipher's newest d6-based Lord of the Rings system is pretty rules light in many respects, though on the other hand it has like 5 travel-time charts (since, you know, walking places is like 3/4s of LotR).

Many d10 systems also.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mutants and Masterminds is definitely not what I am looking for in a rules-lite system, and I don't want to do Fantasy with it.

I'm going to carry my D&D 3.5 campaign over wholesale (the characters are only level 4ish, so it's not a whole ton of mechanics to worry about yet.)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Savage Worlds is quite popular with my gaming circle. I don't particularly care for it, but I don't particularly care for generic OR rules-light RPG's, so my view on the subject is a bit askew. They like it quite a bit, though, and I trust their opinions.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Depending on just how light you'd like to go, there's always Risus and Wushu, both of which have the advantage of being available for free.

It should be noted, though, that Wushu requires a very different style of play. I like the concept, but I haven't had much luck with it in practice.

DE?AD on