As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Achieving a certain hair style

wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm about due for a haircut, and I'm wanting to get some advice on how to ask for what I'm wanting.

I normally keep my hair short and a little messy. I also normally cut it myself (with surprisingly good results, I get a lot of "your hair looks great" comments right after every cut), but I'm staying with my girlfriend right now, so I don't have access to my hair cutting stuff. On top of that, I'm wanting a cut that's a little bit more "stylish" to go along with a recently freshened-up wardrobe.

After spending more time than I care to admit digging around men's style websites, I found a picture of a cut that's pretty close to what I'd like: http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee136/suwarnaadi/josh-duhamel8.jpg. No idea who the dude is, but I like his hair. I'd like a similar cut, but:
  1. I'm not quite sure what to ask for when I go in for the haircut. I'd be a LITTLE too embarrassed to drag in a picture of some celebrity I don't even recognize and say "make me look like this". How do I accurately describe the sort of style I'm wanting?
  2. The general "short on the sides, longer on top" cut isn't far off from what I normally do, but he seems to have a lot more "texture" going on than I ever do. What kind of product is used to achieve that effect, and how is it used?
Enlighten me, please, attractive and sexy H/Aers!

wasted pixels on

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    just take the picture in with you and say "something kind of like this"

It's much easier for the stylist to work from the picture and the conversation then the conversation alone.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I get my hair cut pretty much that way. It's a pretty common do. Tell the stylist you want it shorter on the sides and slightly longer on top but chopped into to make it more textured. They should know what you're talking about. It looks like his sides are scissor cut rather than clipper cut as well. I used to get it done that way as it looks a bit more stylish but it grows out way to fast with my hair so it gets messy quicker. I just go with clipper cut now, neater and takes longer to grow back out but my hair does grow really quick so you might get more miles out of scissor cut sides.

But yeah, just bring the picture in, hair stylists are cool with that. In fact, most of them have a folder full of photos of different styles to aid in this sort of discussion anyway. Rolling up with an exact photograph just makes their job easier and quicker.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Absolutely just take the picture in. My brother did that when he wanted something specific, and even though it seemed to me that he looked like an incredible douchebag afterwards (same as the dude in the picture), the stylist was quite happy to oblige him.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, just take the picture in and tell the stylist that you want it to look like that. Getting a side shot and a back shot of his hair would be good. It'll give the hair dresser a complete picture to work with. I'm sure GISing the dude's name will turn up something.

Actually, you can pretty much imagine what'd it look like from the side and back so in this case the side and back shots might be unnecessary. Still might be something you want to consider though.

edit: As for product, the hair stylist would be an awesome person to ask what this dude seems to be using and how to use it. All the more reason to man up and just bring the picture in. It looks like he uses a pomade to me though.

Precursor on
    Quashdom.png
  • Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The name of the image tells you who the celebrity is anyway.

Take the picture, even if you didn't know it was Josh Duhamel it's not like the hairdresser is going to care.

"Oh cool let me do that for you, who's the picture of?"
    "Dunno"
    "What the hell get out of my salon!!"

Not going to happen.

Take the picture, you will be pleased with the results. I also like your choice of hair style, it's cool.

onceling on
  • Options
    stawkstawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I would describe it as kind of fo-hawkey. except make the top more shaggy.

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My hair looks like that, actually. Just bring in the picture. Your barber won't care.

For hair product, I use American Crew's Hair fiber. You can find it at any barber shop. Or at Target, or pretty much any drug store.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My hair looks like that, actually. Just bring in the picture. Your barber won't care.

For hair product, I use American Crew's Hair fiber. You can find it at any barber shop. Or at Target, or pretty much any drug store.

I've also had a similar hairstyle before, and used the same product. I was going to suggest it till i got to Krunk's post /angryfistshaking

Also another vote for taking in the picture. Really, it saves so much trouble, theres no reason not to do it.

Cryogen on
  • Options
    kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've used American Crew fiber before, but I prefer pomade.

kitch on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, if you need more photos, googling the name can't hurt (Josh Duhamel, btw. He was in Transformers and Las Vegas)

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Don't go in to the salon and describe the style, it's something hairdressers hate, and if you don't describe it correctly then you'll be stuck with a style you don't like. Take in one or two pictures of the style and just say you want it like the picture. Don't be embarrassed you don't know who it is, and don't be afraid to ask how to maintain the style. You're the hairdressers' customer, they'll be happy to give you advice; people take in pictures all the time.

Liiya on