As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Using Server 2008 as my personal OS?

TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
The title pretty much says it all. I'd like to bump myself up to 4 gigs of RAM for games and I've heard that XP 64-bit's driver support is godawful. So that leaves Vista and Server 2008. My university gives Vista Ultimate free to it's students, but only the 32-bit version. However I've found out about a program called Dreamspark that will let me get a hold of Server 2008 64-bit totally free. I've poked around and found that you can make Server 2008 perform like a workstation OS and was wondering if you guys think this is advisable.

TwistedJester on

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm pretty sure it's been said in other threads, but using your 32-bit key you can then "upgrade" to a 64-bit version of Vista using the same key. All you have to do is find a copy of the 64-bit version, from pretty much any source.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    What exactly do you mean by "find a copy of the 64-bit version"? If I could just download it from MS that would be nice but I doubt it's that easy.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What exactly do you mean by "find a copy of the 64-bit version"? If I could just download it from MS that would be nice but I doubt it's that easy.
    Not big on Google, eh? You can order the DVD from MS or find it through illegal means if you're into that.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Meh. I guess I can do that. I've heard Server 2008 runs smoother than Vista when configured properly though.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Meh. I guess I can do that. I've heard Server 2008 runs smoother than Vista when configured properly though.

That was true prior to Vista SP1 but now they're pretty much on the same level.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    Not big on Google, eh? You can order the DVD from MS or find it through illegal means if you're into that.

It's not illegal if your just getting a straight ISO, if the iso includes a key or any other way to circumvent copy protection that's a different story of course. With windows OS' its all about the licenses themselves.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Now I don't know if I should bother with Vista Ultimate. I'm googling all of these benchmarks (with ultimate SP1) and they all seem to contradict each other.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ya man simply download the ISO of a 64 bit version. I did the same. And honestly the 64 bit version of windows (edit: Vista) is the best operating system I've ever used IMHO. And don't feel weird about downloading it. Hell, there was some Microsoft employee on the boards and he needed a copy ASAP one day and they told him to and got him a key over the phone or something. It's certainly not illegal if it doesn't come with a crack or anything.

Or you could just look for somebody with the disc.

But honestly I wouldn't go trying to make a server OS your desktop OS.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    1. Get Vista Ultimate 32 from school.
    2. Request 64bit key from MS.
    3. Download or buy DVD to install.
    4. Download Server 2008 from Dreamspark
    5. Download Virtual PC from Dreamspark
    6. ???
    7. Profit (and/or have fun!)

I almost wish I was still in school to take advantage of all these awesome deals. I need to BUG! my sister-in-law to see if she can qualify for some of this stuff. :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Server 2008 and Vista SP1 are the exact same code base. the exact same. Server 2008 just has all the extra...server stuff.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Server 2008 and Vista SP1 are the exact same code base. the exact same. Server 2008 just has all the extra...server stuff.

The same code base and even the same kernel. Windows 7 will use the same code base and kernel that Server 2008 & Vista currently use. So just get used to Vista, it will be easier on you for Windows 7 and have the desktop functionality. There isn't much configuration to do on Vista SP1 either. You just set your preferences, install your programs, and you're done.

Just download an OEM or SP1 disc. As long as your CD key/user license is legit MS doesn't care where you get the disc from. 32bit keys are supposed to work for 64bit versions of Vista. Vista x64's driver support is far beyond Windows 64 and XP 64.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm well aware that they're based on the same kernel. However, every comparison seems to say that they act very differently when installed on the same machine.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    6. ???

I almost wish I was still in school to take advantage of all these awesome deals. I need to buy my sister-in-law to see if she can qualify for some of this stuff. :D

Not cool man, not cool.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    6. ???

I almost wish I was still in school to take advantage of all these awesome deals. I need to BUG!!! my sister-in-law to see if she can qualify for some of this stuff. :D

Not cool man, not cool.

LOL

BUG! BUG!!!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm well aware that they're based on the same kernel. However, every
    This one is interesting. The issues with DRM doesn't seem quite right. But the different switches would make sense. Server 2008 Work station is configured by default to run differently than Vista.
    This guy is using fresh installs. That means the system is not indexed and has not built a superfetch database.
    This guy has no idea what he is doing. You do not disable indexing in Vista or Server 2008. It affects the OSs in a negative way.

Server 2008 can be used as a Desktop OS. But it requires a lot of additional tweaking and will run into issues if you want to game with it. With Vista you won't have to do any of that additional tweaking. With 4 gigs of memory you won't have any real probelms with Vista.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This dreamspark thing is pretty cool, especially since I'm really interested in MS Server and SQL Studio...

My community college isn't on the MS list, and it's not on the JourneyEd list either. They'll probably accept dated transcripts, right?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2008
    The illegal acquisition of software and some interestingly wrong interpretations of US copyright law have been brought up in this thread. So, let me make something clear.

If you didn't pay for a piece of commercial software, you have acquired it illegally. Do not advise people to illegally acquire anything on these boards. Either pay for it, or shut the hell up.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    'illegal' is such a strong word. Torrenting an ISO of windows is perfectly fine if you possess a valid key, and Microsoft customer support has actually advised some users to do this in certain circumstances.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2008
    Well, let's just assume somebody looking for a copy of something doesn't have a key, and don't bring it up.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited October 2008
    So I went to the local computer lab and got my copy of Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I just looked at the disc though and it says "For Upgrade Use Only", which was not mentioned anywhere on my Uni's software website. Am I fucked or will the key work regardless of whether or not it's an "upgrade"?

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I went to the local computer lab and got my copy of Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I just looked at the disc though and it says "For Upgrade Use Only", which was not mentioned anywhere on my Uni's software website. Am I fucked or will the key work regardless of whether or not it's an "upgrade"?

It means you need a valid WinXP or Win2000 key as well.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I have a valid WinXP Pro CD Key.

I'm starting to get confused now.

What I want is this:

1) To do a clean install of Vista Ultimate 64-bit

2) To not have to deal with any upgrade crap outside of entering my old CD key and the new one

What I have:

1) Access to a Vista Ultimate 64-bit disc

2) An upgrade version of Vista Ultimate 32-bit with CD key

3) XP Pro cd key (as well as the discs)

I've been googling around and it seemed like you could do a fresh install of Vista with an upgrade key but Microsoft might have disabled that recently?

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    From what I know:
    Boot Vista 64 disc
    Go through install
    It will ask for WinXP CD (possibly key)
    Once it confirms, it will install fresh copy of Vista.

Apparently it is a bit annoying:
    1. Boot your computer using the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD:
    To do this, make sure you have your DVD in your PC before your computer moves on to the 2nd screen at bootup. You may have to configure your BIOS so your DVD drive is recognized as a boot device.

2. Install normally but DO NOT enter your product key:
    Make sure you follow this step. By not entering your product key, you will install Vista as a 30-day trial.

3. Select the version of Windows Vista purchased:

4. Re-install Vista within Vista:
    Once you are finished installing Vista, go to My Computer, and install Windows Vista.

5. Install and type in your Product Key:
    When prompted, enter your Product Key.

6. Perform a Custom (advanced) Install:
    You will come to a point where you have to choose between an Upgrade and Custom Install. Make sure to choose Custom. Windows should now perform a clean install of Vista on your PC. Don’t forget to restart.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    For everyone arguing about "getting" software, here is the link to Dreamspark

Stolen from SlickDeals:
    Microsoft has updated their "DreamSpark" offerings. If you don't know, DreamSpark is Microsoft's area for giving free software to students. Previously, DreamSpark offered Windows Server 2003 for free. However, they have recently updated that to offer Windows Server 2008.

Server 2008 is slightly newer than Vista and would be acceptable as a server (obviously) or as a lighter weight gaming/ desktop platform than Vista. By default, a lot of the bloat that was in Vista is disabled by default in Server 2008. However, if you want, Server 2008 can basically be transformed into full featured Vista. So if want to install legit Windows on another machine, give this a look.

All you have to do is confirm you're a student, DreamSpark also offers other free software like Visual Studio 2008 Professional and SQL Server 2008.

This is the one the OP was talking about and it is 100% legal and legit.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Ok, that makes more sense. Is there a way to deactivate an install of Vista? I'd like to try this to see if it will really get me up to a full install of Ultimate 64-bit, but I don't want to go and wipe the HD I'm planning to put my Vista partition on unless I'm sure it will work. I was hoping to do a test install on a brand new HDD I was going to buy.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ok, that makes more sense. Is there a way to deactivate an install of Vista? I'd like to try this to see if it will really get me up to a full install of Ultimate 64-bit, but I don't want to go and wipe the HD I'm planning to put my Vista partition on unless I'm sure it will work. I was hoping to do a test install on a brand new HDD I was going to buy.

You don't need to de-activate. worst comes to worst you have to call microsoft and they'll give you a 20something digit code to activate windows.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar