As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USB Altec Lansing headset's mic stopped working after reformat

MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
I swear I'm missing something big here.

I have one of these guys: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=altec+lansing+headset&oe=utf-8&cid=13260145382716823476#ps-sellers

I can get an exact number if you want, but I don't think it matters.

I used to Skype a lot with this headset, and it would only work when I turned off my desktop speakers (makes sense).

But, I just reformatted over the weekend. Fresh copy of XP Pro, right outta the box. When I went to Skype the other night, the headset worked, but the microphone part did not.

Having no other computer to try it on, I instead plugged my Rock Band microphone into my computer. That works. So, the computer can recognize microphones, just not the one on this headset.

I've had to return this headset once before to Best Buy. I got a new one fresh out of the box, and it worked fine. Do these things just randomly die? It doesn't add up for me that it would be good a week before I reformatted but completely stop working after I reformatted.

Some information.

I have Skype set up like so:

In Audio Settings, the headset comes up as "C-Media USB Headphone Set" and I have it set for Microphone, Speakers, and Ringing.

Under volume control in the taskbar, the microphone setting is checked and it was muted, but now it's not. No change. Line in is checked, not muted.

As far as I know, I have all the current audio drivers I need. I looked up my motherboard (MSI K8N Neo4 Series) and downloaded all the updated drivers. I have onboard sound with this board.

Any idea what's wrong? I've pretty much exhausted everything I know about this subject and am tired of aimlessly troubleshooting.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help.

sig.gif
MHYoshimitzu on

• Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Does it work in sound recorder? (Start/Run/SndRec32.exe)

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    No, it doesn't. XP also tells me the device is working properly and I don't need any updated drivers.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It's been a couple days. Anyone have any ideas?

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Im not familiar with that headset but are there any settings on the in-line remote bit that could be changed?

Are the 3.5mm jacks plugged into the correct ports on the usb dongle?

Im not near a windows box at the moment but if you open the audio properties from the speaker icon in the bottom right, click properties and change the option to recording, are any of those muted?

Try removing it from Windows and reinstalling the driver manually, preferably from the disc if you got one, or a driver from the altec website (should there be one on there).

Good luck

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png