Options

Square-Enix's brain controller lets you concentrate zombies to death

124»

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    but it should still be an option, because hardkore mother fuckers will do it and master it.

Actually, I doubt this very much.

A lot of "hardcore motherfuckers" practise so much they don't have to concentrate on it anymore. It becomes second nature. I recently read a report that concluded experts at a skill, when asked to pay explicit attention to the step by step process of that skill, have reduced performance of it. Conversely, given a second task at the same time, their performance was better. All measurements were against a non interfered with baseline measurement. Novices showed the exact opposite pattern.

So asking people to concentrate on what they've practised to an expert level, they fuck up.

How do you make concentrating second nature.

That really sounds like it has inbuilt interference in it to me.

But I'm not making any solid conclusion though. I'm really interested in the applications of the device now. All those thousands of people off doing concentration experiments for me. Weeee.
    if you're right and they force people to push the button to see the symbol, they will have to push the button to see the symbol and then concentrate.

if you're right and they do what I ask and make it an option to push the button to see the symbol, they will be unable to do it without the symbol no matter how much they try and will have to push the button to see the symbol and then concentrate.

in both cases the results are the same, so I'd still like it my way.

Guys research in concentration is not conclusive.

Don't get the idea I'm making 100% statements all the time. If I'm not sure I say I don't know or "I doubt it" or "It may." or something generalised like that. I'm totally open to being wrong, it would be really interesting if I was. I only make predictions based on what I do know.

I'm just discussing it, it's interesting.
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Werl.

I have adhd.

So it'd be a great training program and a terrible relaxation device.

I like to play things where I don't have to concentrate when I'm taking a break. :P

Also, you fail for telling me my first idea on page 1 was impossible, since it sounds like it's practically the same thing as this. :P

I didn't say it was impossible. I said "It wont." in response to a very specific example you gave, of the device being able to read both intention and concentration at the same time.

This thing only reads concentration. You have to put the reticle on it. It's not moving the reticle for you. It's really neat, but that's not what I gathered from what you said.

If you meant something more general then you sir, fail, for not expressing yourself clearly. :P

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Has there been any more in-depth info on this. Because I have serious doubts this thing is accurate enough to know if someone is concentrating on a square versus a circle. From that blurb above, said you press the button to show the symbol, and then concentrate. But it really sounds like you don't have to think about anything specific. The player could be thinking real hard about a ham sandwich and the headset doesn't know the difference. Which just means they mapped a button to "furrow your brow really really hard".

But, that's just what I can gleam from info so far. Is this sucker really that precise that it can tell exactly WHAT you're thinking of? Or does it just tell that you're thinking in general?
    I'm quite sure it doesn't read what you're thinking of. It seems to just pay attention to the fact that you are concentrating on something. As in, the mind functions differently when in a meditative state versus a neutral state, and the device maps those relative states to a gauge (analog input), which is mapped inside the game to twiddle your thumbs or summon undead howler monkeys or whateverthefuck.

Come to think of it, I wonder how it will actually react to those of us with ADD. It'd be kind of interesting to see the difference in readouts between being on medication or in ooh-look-shiny mode, or even the difference between people that are inattentive and hyperactive.

Monger on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I found.

That dexamphetamine will hinder performance of stuff I've practised because I start thinking about it.

But makes learning new stuff a lot easier.

Reverse effect when not on them. Mainly because I can't think about stuff so can't interfere. :P

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.