As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: We don't have "Jessie's Girl" ...yet

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Arikado wrote: »
    I like White Wedding, but it's a pain in the ass to sing for me. Most of the song is low enough that I can't sing in my normal register and hit it, and when I do go falsetto on it I can't seem to find the notes all that well in the verses (I can do the chorus okay).

The trick is to not falsetto at all.

But I can't get low enough in my normal register to hit all of the verse. Well I take that back, if I smoke a couple of cigarettes in rapid sucession I can force myself that low, but it hurts. I've tried singing the damn thing about 20-25 times now in my normal voice and I just can't do it.

W/O falsetto I'm getting weaks and messies all over the place and tend to fail out before the first chorus. Of course, maybe I just need to practice more to find the notes perfectly in my normal voice.

It just sucks being a tenor di grazia in terms of vocal range.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Finally got an RB Profile.

But sold RB1 and have to wait till RB2 to link my profile.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I can nail White Wedding and I've really only sang in the game a couple of times.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I can nail White Wedding and I've really only sang in the game a couple of times.

I'm a bit of an odd duck though. I have a very, very high vocal register, both in speaking and singing. In classical terms I'm closest to a leggiero tenor or tenor di grazia, although I can reach notes normally only found in a countertenor's range.

Karaoke games have never really liked my voice much when I stick to my normal range as it's really inbetween two. So I tend to have to resort to a falsetto to maintain an even tone that the game can read properly. It causes the most problems on songs done in more of a baritone range. I can knock shit like Any Way You Want it and Carry On My Wayward Son out pretty easily, but stuff like White Wedding and E-Pro give me fucking fits.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I don't mean to derail with my OT crap, but how do you know this? I'm not questioning you, I'm just curious where this sort of info comes from. Some sort of recent formal learnin'?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Don't feel so bad.
    I have issues with E-Pro and I've only recently got Lump down.

EDIT: It's explained a bit here. I did choir in middle/high school and the first thing our instructor did was divide the class into the four groups (bass, tenor, alto, soprano) and then pick out the leads (i.e. more defined...i.e. not going through puberty still) for each section. I ended up being a Tenor.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Does star power during a guitar solo increase the solo bonus?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Erandus wrote: »

I don't mean to derail with my OT crap, but how do you know this? I'm not questioning you, I'm just curious where this sort of info comes from. Some sort of recent formal learnin'?

A friend of mine, Rick is a former vocal teacher and did some opera. He's been helping me with singing since I got into Rock Band last year, as I completly fucking sucked when I first started.

He has said that I could have made a pretty good singer if I started taking formal lessons back in high school after my voice had finished breaking.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Does star power during a guitar solo increase the solo bonus?

No, solo bonus is simply based off the # of notes in the solo.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I have no idea what you would call my vocals. I have a very good range but I am definitely more on the lower register. I can hit the really high shit but it's a struggle.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I sound like shit at any register. Can't carry a tune in a goddamn bucket. Medium is a struggle for me on many songs. Comparitively, my wife 98%'d Breaking The Girl last night on expert, and actually sounds good doing it.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Pick out a song and I'll put up an external video of me singing it if you think it'll help.

I'm all for the progression of more singers. Fill up the vocals leaderboards with nothing but PA folk.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You Oughta Know :winky:

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You got it.

Arikado on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, I could get Rock Band 2 for free if I traded in some 360 games I'll never play again to Gamestop. But the Gamestop near my house is taking GTA4 for fifteen dollars. I'd just cry at that.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    welcome home

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Shifting gears massively, now that I've spent some time with the BSSM album, aside from what I heard on the radio since early in high school, more people need to download Funky Munks if you like things that are fun, and I Could Have Lied if you like things that are fucking awesome.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I read the other day that there is a snafu between activision between warner music over rock band DLC. Warner music owns road runner records. Dream theater is signed on road runner.

:(

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I find myself playing The Power Of Equality and Naked In The Rain a lot.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    EDIT: It's explained a bit here. I did choir in middle/high school and the first thing our instructor did was divide the class into the four groups (bass, tenor, alto, soprano) and then pick out the leads (i.e. more defined...i.e. not going through puberty still) for each section. I ended up being a Tenor.

Bass First Chair, here. I was in choir all the way through senior year, even lettered in it >.> I'm actually a baritone, though, but I can hit tenor notes if I try.
    Man, I could get Rock Band 2 for free if I traded in some 360 games I'll never play again to Gamestop. But the Gamestop near my house is taking GTA4 for fifteen dollars. I'd just cry at that.

Wow. They sell it used for $40.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I find myself playing The Power Of Equality and Naked In The Rain a lot.

I did not enjoy the guitar chart for Naked in the Rain. The stuttering beat and on-off chords just wreck me. I get through it, but it's not pretty.

Goozex them?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah I was the tenor lead in high school after the previous dude got in a fight with a chick (physically) and got expelled.

The guy who was our bass lead ended up joining Mexican mariachi band that is doing quite well. I don't fucking remember the name of the band but I remember it had some reference to wolves (something de los Lobos to that extent).

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So I read the other day that there is a snafu between activision between warner music over rock band DLC. Warner music owns road runner records. Dream theater is signed on road runner.

Do you mean Harmonix or EA, because Activision is Guitar Hero, not Rock Band.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Mexican mariachi band

I smell an untapped RB gold mine.
    Ok, probably not, but mariachi always makes me smile

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Do you mean Harmonix or EA, because Activision is Guitar Hero, not Rock Band.

Yes. I did indeed. That does not change my frown.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

True, no more DT would be a tragedy, considering they haven't even scratched the surface of their full catalog. I'd kill someone for something from Scenes From a Memory or Images and Words. Hell, I wouldn't even mind a couple of tracks off of Falling Into Infinity (Hollow Years or Lines in the Sand would kick ass) or When Dream and Day Unite.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Or Erotomania or The Mirror off Awake

Are the online Leaderboards wonky for everyone, or just me? Most songs I pick for solo drums result in the Don't Fear The Reaper leaderboard.

Airking850 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I don't mind Dream Theater but if they didn't add anymore to RB I would be ok. Not that they are bad or unenjoyable, I just wouldn't miss it.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    anyone still having problems linking their Live account on the RockBand site? Buddy of mine can't get it to work, and I know someone here was having issues yesterday. Any ideas on what's borked and if/how it can be fixed?

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I don't mind Dream Theater but if they didn't add anymore to RB I would be ok. Not that they are bad or unenjoyable, I just wouldn't miss it.

They're certainly an acquired taste. I'm just a huge prog head, I blame it on my upbringing.

Growing up my dad blasted nothing but jazz fusion and progressive rock. My childhood was filled with the likes of Return to Forever, Weather Report, King Crimson, Yes, Jethro Tull, Rush, etc...

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    anyone still having problems linking their Live account on the RockBand site? Buddy of mine can't get it to work, and I know someone here was having issues yesterday. Any ideas on what's borked and if/how it can be fixed?

Depending on the problem, yes, I had problems with mine. When i hit the link button, the next page didn't load right in Chrome or Firefox. In IE, it would kick me off the rockband site to a msn page, but when I'd try to log in, it would tell me page not found.

It was working fine for my wife from work, so I had her link mine after she finished hers.

All I can recommend is to make sure you're not logged into your Live account as per step 2, and sign out of MSN Messenger, if you should happen to have it running.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey dickfoot, accept my friend request on rockband.com. Also, whats next weekend look like for you?

In other rockband related news I forgot to RMA my RB2 Strat last night.

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    edited October 2008

True, no more DT would be a tragedy, considering they haven't even scratched the surface of their full catalog. I'd kill someone for something from Scenes From a Memory or Images and Words. Hell, I wouldn't even mind a couple of tracks off of Falling Into Infinity (Hollow Years or Lines in the Sand would kick ass) or When Dream and Day Unite.

Lines in the sand is a great song, but I can't see them putting it in. I'd love to have it, but at 12 minutes, and a relatively simple structure, it might be deemed too boring by a lot of people's standards. Not to mention that they'd likely end up assigning a lot of keyboards to the guitar, which makes me feel dirty. I think learning to live would be a pretty well balanced entry. It's long, but it has a lot of diversity.

Personally, I would like to see some kind of RB play mode that supports super long songs or suites that you could play all together, or in individual pieces. In terms of dream theater, octavarium and disc 2 of six degrees would be perfect for this. There are lots of other bands with songs that would work will like "supper's ready" by genesis, "tarkus" by ELP, or even "the decline" by NOFX.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hey dickfoot, accept my friend request on rockband.com. Also, whats next weekend look like for you?

This one coming up or the one after?

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

The one after. Have a wedding to go to this Sat.

AngrySquirrel on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I don't know yet. I know Sunday I am definitely busy as we are having the baby shower then. I might have to work on Saturday. I don't have my schedule yet. I'll keep you informed though. Also, friend request accepted.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    any gueses on how much the texas flood album will cost? this week's dlc knocked me down to 1240 live points, I'm hoping it'll be a 1200 point pack but that'd just be too perfect

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm going to get 1600 points tonight or tomorrow. I really want all of Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magick...but, there are so many other songs I want. I'm thinking of just being picky and taking 5 off of BSSM and then getting 5 other random songs...it's a tough decision.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I don't know yet. I know Sunday I am definitely busy as we are having the baby shower then. I might have to work on Saturday. I don't have my schedule yet. I'll keep you informed though. Also, friend request accepted.
    Sundays are booked for me as well till football season is over, but we need to work out a Saturday to get some heavy rockbanding in. Possibly entering into endless setlist territory if enough time can be secured.

I'm still misssing two songs, Welcome to the Neighborhood and Visions. Haven't been in a rush to get either one really. Haven't beaten Panic Attack yet (reverse thunderhorse section killed me) or Peace Sells... (just need to play 1 or 2 more times and I'll have it, failed at 90something%). Painkiller has fallen. Steely Dan's song I've only played once so I need to work on it as well, but I doubt there is anything I won't be able to do with you backing me up. Local play would be idea so we can swap off lead and bass duties as necessary.

AngrySquirrel on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Sundays are booked for me as well till football season is over, but we need to work out a Saturday to get some heavy rockbanding in. Possibly entering into endless setlist territory if enough time can be secured.

I'm still misssing two songs, Welcome to the Neighborhood and Visions. Haven't been in a rush to get either one really. Haven't beaten Panic Attack yet (reverse thunderhorse section killed me) or Peace Sells... (just need to play 1 or 2 more times and I'll have it, failed at 90something%). Painkiller has fallen. Steely Dan's song I've only played once so I need to work on it as well, but I doubt there is anything I won't be able to do with you backing me up. Local play would be idea so we can swap off lead and bass duties as necessary.

Definitely. I'm running out of time too. Once the baby is here my free time is mostly going to be gone.

And I think I've beat every song on RB except for some in the middle I've missed. I believe all of the devil difficulty guitar songs are beat except for the Bang Camaro song I downloaded last night only because I haven't played it yet.

Raijin Quickfoot on