As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ROCK BAND: We don't have "Jessie's Girl" ...yet

• ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm going to get 1600 points tonight or tomorrow. I really want all of Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magick...but, there are so many other songs I want. I'm thinking of just being picky and taking 5 off of BSSM and then getting 5 other random songs...it's a tough decision.

I hear ya.. there are some things on BSSM that are now stuck on my Xbox that I will never voluntarily play again, and will only ever force me to fail out of random setlists (I'm fucking looking at you, They're Red Hot). Then there's things I won't choose to play and wont enjoy when they turn up on random.

There is quite a few songs I'd never heard of/didn't think I'd enjoy and I never would have chosen to download outside the full album.

What would make me really fucking happy is if we could delete single tracks out of track packs or albums. WHY, Harmonix?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I know Sunday I am definitely busy as we are having the baby shower then.

Man, you're getting ripped off. Ours was at someone else's house, so I got the house to myself all day.

Though I think that was the day my 360 red ringed.

Sir Carcass on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I know Sunday I am definitely busy as we are having the baby shower then.

Man, you're getting ripped off. Ours was at someone else's house, so I got the house to myself all day.

Though I think that was the day my 360 red ringed.

Well, we are doing it at someone else's house. It's a boy girl baby shower. I'm bringing Rock Band, we are drinking, it's going to be a good time.

Well, my fiance is not drinking obviously.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Erandus wrote: »
    I'm going to get 1600 points tonight or tomorrow. I really want all of Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magick...but, there are so many other songs I want. I'm thinking of just being picky and taking 5 off of BSSM and then getting 5 other random songs...it's a tough decision.

I hear ya.. there are some things on BSSM that are now stuck on my Xbox that I will never voluntarily play again, and will only ever force me to fail out of random setlists (I'm fucking looking at you, They're Red Hot). Then there's things I won't choose to play and wont enjoy when they turn up on random.

There is quite a few songs I'd never heard of/didn't think I'd enjoy and I never would have chosen to download outside the full album.

What would make me really fucking happy is if we could delete single tracks out of track packs or albums. WHY, Harmonix?

I think I'm just going to snag the few I want. I mean, if way later down the road I buy the rest and end up spending a good deal more for the whole album, so be it.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is she going to be singing?

Also, GH:WT is putting out that they will have a mind-blasting 7 songs up for DLC on release.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fucking sold!

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited October 2008
    Arikado wrote: »
    Is she going to be singing?

Also, GH:WT is putting out that they will have a mind-blasting 7 songs up for DLC on release.

Nah, she doesn't play. She will stick to her Karaoke Revolution.

7 songs...all of them Starland Vocal Band.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited October 2008
    I think I'm just going to snag the few I want. I mean, if way later down the road I buy the rest and end up spending a good deal more for the whole album, so be it.

What's on your short list?

Thats so.. err... metal? Would that be metal? I'm not sure how underwhelmed to be. Am I doing this right?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I ended up just getting Under the Bridge and Suck My Kiss—I like the full album but not enough to really splurge on all of the tracks. Those two tracks and Give It Away encapsulate the sound enough for me anyway, though I was considering Power of Equality.

As my DLC library grows, I'm getting more and more picky with what I end up buying, though I'll definitely get the full Foo Fighters album when it drops.

EDIT: GHWT's DLC list is meager but not all that bad: Boston's Rock 'n Roll Band is the RB double, but there's also an REM pack of new songs, Jessie's Girl and a few others.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited October 2008

What's on your short list?

Under the Bridge
    Breaking the Girl
    Sir Psycho Sexy
    Suck My Kiss
    Apache Rose Peacock
    Naked in the Rain

Those would be the first ones I would download.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited October 2008
    The Colour and the Shape is a day one purchase if I have to rob a hobo for the money.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited October 2008
    GH:WT DLC

Classic Rock Pack
    • "Rock and Roll Band" by Boston
    • "Hot Blooded" by Foreigner
    • "Jessie's Girl" by Rock Springfield
    "No Rain" by Blind Melon [Exclusive for 2 weeks, I don't know what the fuck this means]
    "Horse to Water" by R.E.M.
    "Man-Sized Wreath" by R.E.M.
    "Supernatural Superserious" by R.E.M.

Honestly, quantity aside, they've could have done better. Also the fact they didn't announce the prices makes me think that they might end up costing a lot more than RB DLC.

Arikado on
    edited October 2008
    I actually am slightly jealous of a couple of the song annoucements, but I'm not sure how fun they'll really be. Hot Blooded and Jessie's Girl are good classic tracks, but I can't envision a truly fancy notechart. Smashing Pumpinks 1979? What a fucking snooze fest. First rhythm game track that will actually induce comas.

Of course, this being a GH product, they'll over chart the shit out of them to make them artificially... "fun"...

EDIT: Raijin, I should have asked, what instrument? If it's guitar, i would really suggest checking the youtube on Naked In The Rain. I'll be disagreed with strongly, but I do not find the note chart fun in the slightest. Maybe try a play along and see if you enjoy it.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    They need a master track version of Juke Box Hero on RB. I refuse to get the cover. It's terrible.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I actually am slightly jealous of a couple of the song annoucements, but I'm not sure how fun they'll really be. Hot Blooded and Jessie's Girl are good classic tracks, but I can't envision a truly fancy notechart. Smashing Pumpinks 1979? What a fucking snooze fest. First rhythm game track that will actually induce comas.

Of course, this being a GH product, they'll over chart the shit out of them to make them artificially... "fun"...

Wait...what? 1979? Get out of here, that track is full of awesome. Not every song has to be a rock fest to actually rock. I'd wish RB put out some more slow songs to balance things a bit.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited October 2008
    "No Rain" by Blind Melon [Exclusive for 2 weeks, I don't know what the fuck this means]

According to wiki, it means exclusive on the 360 for 2 weeks, and then available on PS3. Why is this even announcement worthy? Wiki is silent on that.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Once the baby is here my free time is mostly going to be gone.

Off-topic and somewhat personal (ignore me or tell me to fuck off if you don't want to share) but when are you guys expecting? Our second will be here on Oct 21 (scheduled c-section).

Slightly more on-topic, you may be surprised, eventually, at how much free time you might have. All babies are different of course, but one thing they have in common is they sleep a lot...my first slept very well too, so pretty much down at 7 each night. Of course then you've got a couple hours of laundry and dishes and cleaning and all that to catch up on, but I usually had enough energy after all that to play for an hour or so each night...

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
    edited October 2008

Wait...what? 1979? Get out of here, that track is full of awesome. Not every song has to be a rock fest to actually rock. I'd wish RB put out some more slow songs to balance things a bit.

There are a lot of slower songs that are a blast to play. I'm not judging the song on it's "rock festeyness" I'm thinking of the potential note chart. Really listen to the song and think about how it'd be charted in RB.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    I love "1979" but I don't think it works for a rhythm game like World Tour or Rock Band.

Arikado on
    edited October 2008

Classic Rock Pack

Honestly, quantity aside, they've could have done better. Also the fact they didn't announce the prices makes me think that they might end up costing a lot more than RB DLC.

They have added the ability to buy singles, though, which is a step up from before. Still, I maintain that DLC for GHWT will be wholly underwhelming, even when not compared to RB's epic catalog. But it is interesting that the DLC is very un-metal, though I assume the user-made song section will be clogged with Dragonforce wannabes.

I looked at a few guitar notechart vids on YouTube and the one for L'via L'Viaquez by the Mars Volta was terrible, so I'm still on the fence about even renting GHWT.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited October 2008
    Lunker, The Mars Volta is terrible.

Ah man, I'm gonna start a fight. I'll stop now, I promise.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    I vowed to never give Neversoft another chance after GH3. I've learned my lesson to research games ahead of buying them on release. That game was just so un-fun in our household.

Arikado on
  • Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    7 songs is one more than the number of downloadable songs Rock Band had on release.

Airking850 on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    I ended up just getting Under the Bridge and Suck My Kiss—I like the full album but not enough to really splurge on all of the tracks. Those two tracks and Give It Away encapsulate the sound enough for me anyway, though I was considering Power of Equality.

Breaking the Girl really isn't anything like like those other tracks to have them encapsulate the sound of it.

As for the GHWT DLC, No Rain I would have liked in Rock Band, but other than that I don't really care for anything.

Schide on
    edited October 2008
    Airking850 wrote: »
    7 songs is one more than the number of downloadable songs Rock Band had on release.

7 is more than 15?

It was 6 singles, QotSA pack, Police pack, and Metallica pack all released on Nov 20th.

Arikado on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Classic Rock Pack

What did RB1 have on release day? QOtSA pack, Metallica pack, Jukebox Hero, Cherry Bomb, Bang A Gong, Police Pack...

aaaaaaaaaaanyways, I'm not really angry. I had prepared myself to see those R.E.M. tracks, and as the most die hard of the die hards, I would get all 3 - but only be EXCITED for Horse To Water (and even then, only the verses.) I'm more pissed that "One I Love" is in the actual game - and even that's not a great choice when you want to get a full band experience going.

Jessie's Girl will make my girlfriend sad, and Hot Blooded would be one of those songs that 6 months ago I would have instantly bought, but right now I still haven't gotten around to Stop!, Push It, ALL of Blood Sugar Sex Magik -- and thats just recent. Looking back there's stuff I wanted to grab (Shhhh, Running Wild) that I don't even remember until I'm in the store. Hot Blooded would be in that group.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

7 is more than 15?

I was ...counting modulo 3?

(really I just can't read)

Edit: If we're comparing the DLC available at release, GHWT has the Death Magnetic album.

Airking850 on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm very curious to see the chart for Drums in No Rain by Blind Melon. I love that song to death, but for the life of me, I can't hear anything beyond the drummer hitting quarter notes on the snare in 4/4 time with brushes and not sticks.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

There are a lot of slower songs that are a blast to play. I'm not judging the song on it's "rock festeyness" I'm thinking of the potential note chart. Really listen to the song and think about how it'd be charted in RB.

Drums and Guitar? Sure it's not that interesting but Vocals? That's be awesome to sing. It'll probably end up being as fun as say...Bettlebum?

Maybe I just want another Karaoke Revolution :P

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also, I'm very curious to see the size of these files, to know if they match up to the Metallica files, which technically do count towards day 1 DLC, right?

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    edited October 2008
    None of the Smashing Pumpkins songs on Rock Band are fun to sing.

"Zero" could be if it weren't so fucking broken.

Arikado on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Personally, I would like to see some kind of RB play mode that supports super long songs or suites that you could play all together, or in individual pieces. In terms of dream theater, octavarium and disc 2 of six degrees would be perfect for this. There are lots of other bands with songs that would work will like "supper's ready" by genesis, "tarkus" by ELP, or even "the decline" by NOFX.

Epic suites? Anyone?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

7 is more than 15?

I was ...counting modulo 3?

(really I just can't read)

Edit: If we're comparing the DLC available at release, GHWT has the Death Magnetic album.

Well there you go, then! I can see the blurb on the packaging now:
    More DLC available at launch than Rock Band!*

*Rock Band 2 doesn't count!

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited October 2008
    I'm more interested in the amount of Release-day DLC I actually care to own. RB1? All bought. GH:WT? Eeerr... 3? Would be 4 if I didn't own RB?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    Lunker, The Mars Volta is terrible.

Ah man, I'm gonna start a fight. I'll stop now, I promise.

We will agree to disagree. :) It's really not the type of artist to have as a main set list song in a rhythm game because so many people hate them, which is why I was surprised to see it pop up. Especially L'Via, which has those extended salsa piano breakdowns. I like the song but I can see it buzzkilling rockin' parties faster than any nerdy Rush song. (Which I also love.)
    Schide wrote:
    Breaking the Girl really isn't anything like like those other tracks to have them encapsulate the sound of it.

True, true, and I'm sure I'll download that before the next major party I throw, since it's a crowd fave. It's kind of like No Rain and Blind Melon, though, in that Breaking the Girl is kind of the exception to the rest of the album's sound. I like Blind Melon's first album, but No Rain sounds nothing like the rest of it. People who bought the CD based on the single were on the receiving end of a 1980s rickroll!

Lunker on
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I went on a spending spree last night. Picked up all the DLC from this week except Harvey Danger (hate that band) and Stop! (I don't mind the song, just didn't sound like it'll be fun for RB).

Also, out of the RHCP album I picked up:

Under the Bridge
    Breaking the Girl
    Suck My Kiss
    BSSM

I seriously considered getting the whole album, but there were a few that I knew I'd never want to play. Figured I'd get 4 now and if sometime down the road good DLC gets scarce (not likely) I'll grab another 4. Apache Rose Peacock, Sir Psycho Sexy, and Power of Equality all sound like they'd be fun...

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
    edited October 2008
    I have come around strongly to Rush since RB. I have not dove into the full Moving Pictures album, but I'm happy with the rest of the DLC I got from them, and I would actually voluntarily listen to them now.

I will cordially accept your offer to agree to disagree on The Mars Volta. What I have heard of them is un-stomachable.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    I'm thinking that overall, when it comes down to it, GH will still outsell RB. But only because Activision is packaging their game with individual controller components. GH will probably be absolutely hammered critically.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited October 2008
    I like how a lot of the supporters for GH:WT and it's music creator stopped talking about it after the specs and restrictions were revealed.

Arikado on
    edited October 2008
    Once the baby is here my free time is mostly going to be gone.

Off-topic and somewhat personal (ignore me or tell me to fuck off if you don't want to share) but when are you guys expecting? Our second will be here on Oct 21 (scheduled c-section).

Slightly more on-topic, you may be surprised, eventually, at how much free time you might have. All babies are different of course, but one thing they have in common is they sleep a lot...my first slept very well too, so pretty much down at 7 each night. Of course then you've got a couple hours of laundry and dishes and cleaning and all that to catch up on, but I usually had enough energy after all that to play for an hour or so each night...

He is due Nov. 8th but due to some protein in her urine they don't want to let her go into Nov. Most likely it wil l be right at the end of Oct. unless she goes into labor beforehand.

Raijin Quickfoot on