As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The new action figures thread (NSF56k)

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2009
    not if you keep that up you won't

DJ Eebs on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I ran out of them anyway. :(

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i got the mcdonald's venom the other day. a decent sculpt for what it is.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    My 12" Snake Eyes from Sideshow came in the other day. He's fucking awesome. Pics!
    snakes1.jpg
    snakes2.jpg
    snakes3.jpg
    snakes4.jpg
    snakes5.jpg
    snakes6.jpg
    snakes7.jpg
    snakes8.jpg

Next up is Masterpiece Grimlock, who should be here Wednesday. Expensive couple of weeks.

cr0w on
  • Laser DaveLaser Dave Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Under the scornful and piercing robotic gaze of Optimus Prime.

Laser Dave on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nice.

Those 12" figures always look so awesome when people take pictures of them. It makes me kind of want one but the good ones are all way too expensive for me.

But Masterpiece Grimlock...damn, I can only hope they release here at some point because that is probably the only way I'll be able to afford one.

Schide on
    edited March 2009
    If they do, he'll most likely be all plastic, like Starscream. But hell, Starscream was $90 at Wal-Mart, and Grimlock was $150 including shipping from a domestic site. Cheaper than Prime was, but I doubt anything's ever going to top the MP Prime.

cr0w on
    edited March 2009
    Wal Mart Starscream was $50. And yeah, that $150 is what is going to prevent me from getting him unless they release him in America like they did Prime and Starscream at somewhat more reasonable prices.

I don't really care if he's all plastic if he's like $50-70 or something.

Schide on
    edited March 2009
    I paid $90 for my MP Starscream at Wal-Mart when he first came out. I know he eventually went on clearance at some Wal-Marts that still had him in stock a couple months later, but yeah...he was $90 at first release. I remember cringing when I used the price checker.

cr0w on
    edited March 2009
    Uh, you got ripped off there. Wal Mart MP Starscream in G1 colors was always always $50 from the start, and then some lucky clearanced ones were even less.

You can have a look at this thread if you don't believe me.

Schide on
    edited March 2009
    Oh I believe you, but I remember paying a LOT more for him right off the shelf at my local Wally. Looking back it might've been $69.98, but he was substantially more than I was expecting.

cr0w on
  • BoboBobo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh shit oh shit oh shit
    img4795sde.th.jpg
    img4804u.th.jpg
    img4807.th.jpg
    img4809j.th.jpg
    img4813.th.jpg
    img4815.th.jpg
    img4817.th.jpg
    img4820m.th.jpg

Bobo on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is that the Hot Toys one, you swine? Mine hasn't arrived yet at all. :(

Wildcat on
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I got it this morning.

Bobo on
    edited April 2009
    Lucky! Well, maybe mine will arrive soon; it does have to cross the Atlantic, after all.

Wildcat on
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh wow they're making a Movie Masters Jail Cell Joker and it looks damn good to be a normal figure you can find for a great price.

Jail_Cell_Joker.jpg

Really makes the first Movie Masters Joker look awful. I modified the face of my MM Joker quite a bit to make it more authentic.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    B5125.jpg

That looks ballin' as hell.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • TylerM23TylerM23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I'm not a GL fan but I'm thinking of getting that figure. Might be a good base for a D'spayre custom.

TylerM23 on
  • The One 52The One 52 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bobo wrote: »
    img4807.th.jpg
    Where did you get that Iron Man action figure, and how much is it?
    I'm searching for a gift for my father's birthday, and considering it's his favourite Marvel's character since he's little, this would make a perfect gift.

I saw that Hot Toy's Joker figure a while ago. It is oh so beautiful.

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
    The internet does not qualify as grounds where you can act like a bouquet of dick.
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also, Medicom is making some new 7inch UDF Metal Gear figures. These have limited poseability but look great.

Price is a bit of a problem since they're about $15-ish a piece depending on where you shop.

MED10326.jpg

I'll probably be buying The Boss and Naked Snake.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
    edited April 2009
    The One 52 wrote: »
    img4807.th.jpg
    I'm searching for a gift for my father's birthday, and considering it's his favourite Marvel's character since he's little, this would make a perfect gift.

It's this Hot Toys figure. Unfortunately you may have to resort to Ebay to get it now (Ebay Canada has several auctions from US sellers right now).

You might also like to consider this non-poseable statue, which is much easier to find - I have one myself and it's pretty aces, I posted a few pics earlier in the thread.

Wildcat on
    edited April 2009
    img4807.th.jpg

I preordered mine from Sideshow, so I've been waiting a while ... http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_042009a.htm has some options at the bottom of the review though.

Bobo on
    edited April 2009
    So I picked up the new Batman in the Dark Knight suit from Medicom, and it arrived today. Normally, Medicom's figures are a bit smaller than other 1/6 scale companies, and a little more..I dunno, stylized? Cartoonish? Whatever, they're typically not as realistic as, say, Hot Toys. They shocked the shit out of me with this release. Here's a few pics..the first is a comparison of the Hot Toys (left) and Medicom, and a couple of close up shots.
    medibats3.jpg
    medibats2.jpg
    medibats1.jpg

cr0w on
  • The One 52The One 52 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    img4807.th.jpg

It's this Hot Toys figure. Unfortunately you may have to resort to Ebay to get it now (Ebay Canada has several auctions from US sellers right now).

You might also like to consider this non-poseable statue, which is much easier to find - I have one myself and it's pretty aces, I posted a few pics earlier in the thread.
    Thanks, I'll order it for my dad. :^:

I only found it on Amazon. It was available elsewhere, but most websites that sell this statues don't handle international shipping, only in the US. Which is a shame, because Toy Rocket was selling it for $149.99US instead of $170.99.

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
    The internet does not qualify as grounds where you can act like a bouquet of dick.
    edited April 2009
    Glad I could help! Mine still hasn't arrived though. :(

Wildcat on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, you guys need to start talking about toys that I can afford again.

Mr Pink on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, I figure this is the best place to ask...I'm considering getting into action figures of some form. The thing is, I'm more interested in the idea of easy customization and making my own characters and such. This would initially point to the 1:6 fandom. The issue is I'd have no idea where to begin, and those things are fucking huge. I don't really have the room for them.

This leads into the idea of smaller things. One that I have a few of is Stikfas. Now, I like Stikfas, but the issue is that they're a bit abstract, they're obscure, you can't get much else that'll work with them, and I wouldn't be surprised if the company goes under soon, what with the lack of any genuinely new product in fucking forever. Plus, due to the company's small nature, you pretty much have to make a lot of accessories yourself, and do a lot of painting on top of that. I'm not sure I'm up for that if I want to delve any deeper.

There is of course the Lego Minifig customization culture, but not only is that obscure again, but you're looking at a lot of painting or decal making just to get a basic design down. Plus they lack articulation, and their small size means you can't do things like thin armor or sci-fi powered armor stuff as anything but a decal.

So we look back at 1:6. One other issue I've noticed, though, is aesthetic. All the ones I've seen have a rather realistic look that just makes them kind of creepy seeming. I prefer a more cartoony look. Are there any companies out there that make at least decent less realistic heads, assuming the parts are universal(I don't know if they are, in all honesty)?

So, yeah. Am I missing something in the middle that's more reasonable to work with, or at least a good starting ground for 1:6 that's super cheap? Or any advice in general, really?

yalborap on
    edited May 2009
    Hmm. I guess a lot of that depends on what kinds of characters you want to make, how you want them to look, whether more realistic or more cartoony or abstract, what scale you think you'd like and would have room for, and if you're any good at things like repainting or even resculpting figures.

Since you said you want more cartoony figures, you might want to look into the 6" scale, since there are plenty of stuff to choose from when looking for existing figures to customize, like Marvel Legends and Select, DCU Classics and Direct, and even maybe stuff like wrestling figures or NECA or that kind of stuff.

But if you're looking for figures like those Stikfas that are like meant for customization, I don't think you'll find that much in the 6" scale. But it would be the best for accessories I'd think, since that scale seems to be the most prominent.

There's also the 3-3/4" scale, which you could base on G.I. Joes and the new Marvel figures of the size, perhaps.

But I don't really know much about it so that's probably all the advice I could give you.

Schide on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I am in no way good at repainting or resculpting. Well, I know I'm not good at painting anything, but I've never given resculpting a shot. Though I doubt I'd exactly excel at it from square one.

And I'm definitely looking for something, if not meant for customization, at least designed with it in mind. Few molded-on accessories, easily able to be taken apart if needed, etc. etc. etc. etc.

As for what I'm looking to make, more sci-fi/fantasy/superheroes/etc. kinda stuff, and looking more cartoony. Not into fullblown abstract category like the Stikfas are, but definitely less realistic than, say, the head on that Tony Stark figure Bobo posted back near the top of the page.

As for what scale I'd like, I'm not sure...I doubt I could house a lot of anything bigger than 6 inches or so right now, but I could also probably make something work if I really tried or stored most out of view.

yalborap on
  • ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Oh wow they're making a Movie Masters Jail Cell Joker and it looks damn good to be a normal figure you can find for a great price.

Jail_Cell_Joker.jpg

Really makes the first Movie Masters Joker look awful. I modified the face of my MM Joker quite a bit to make it more authentic.

I could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure that this figure

a: Isn't going to happen

or

b: Won't look nearly this good upon release

These pics of a new wave of Movie Masters (complete with awesome Two-Face) have been floating around for kind of a long time without a real release date, but the only chain that even still *carries* Movie Masters seems to be TRU and they are still ass-deep in the first wave, couldn't even sell them all with that crazy 3 or 4 for $10 sale or whatever it was they had recently. Unfortunately retailers aren't going to say "Oh this is a better Joker send them to us", they're going to say "We've still got five thousand unsold Jokers", or "Didn't that movie come out a year ago why are you still making figures". :(

And there has never been an action figure released by Mattel that looked as good as the prototype. See MotU 2002, Superman Returns, Batman Begins, Dark Knight, DCIH, and DCUC. This is especially true when it comes to something like nailing an actor likeness.

But it would be nice.

Scumdogg on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Anyone see this yet? I haven't seen a Joker without makeup figure yet, and this looks awesome:

421IMG_9202a_3x4.jpg

421IMG_9638a_3x4.jpg

Plus the makeup'd head looks neat, too:

421IMG_9921a_3x4.jpg

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, I've got that one preordered. I'm still partial to the sculpt on the previous Bank Robber Joker release, but the movable eyes on the painted up Joker head on the new one sold me on it.

cr0w on
    edited May 2009
    Bought these yesterday at a TJ Maxx. Took some pictures of them trying to show off the clear plastic.
    AoASunfire1.jpg

NeoShifter.jpg

They came out decent.

Schide on
    edited May 2009
    Vhat are ze tings you aren showing me?

Faynor on
    edited May 2009
    Oh. Yeah, the first one is the Age of Apocalypse Sunfire Marvel Legends figure that was like a Toyfare exclusive or something that TJ Maxx had some of for some reason. The second one is a Neo Shifter called...Anax <> Dak (I think the big robot is one of those then these a small one in his chest it's probably the other but I don't care enough to actually open the instructions to look that up)

Sunfire was $7 and the Neo Shifter was on clearance for $3 so I figured what the hell.

Schide on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, what a day. Me and the Mrs went to a few shops to see what kind of toys and what not we could get ahold of, and we found these gems:

First, we found a neat Dr Strange figure, for 100 Yen,

3506307077_db990729c8.jpg

Then, we found an awesome Bride of Venom figure, also 100 Yen,

3507110908_aeceeb6405.jpg

Close up of her face (and boobs)

3507111022_ef4ace869b.jpg

After that, some stamp things for like 40 Yen a pop,

3506303037_e1a3f88d36.jpg

And while I'm bragging about my finds, let's see if any of you jokers know what this is:

3507110368_1e36d94c49.jpg

I really should post up more of my finds, we get a lot of neat stuff quite often.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • thisismyusernamethisismyusername Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    has this been posted?

Dead Space Isaac Clarke Figure

Supposedly coming spring 2009

thisismyusername on
    PA2sig.jpg
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    has this been posted?

Dead Space Isaac Clarke Figure

Supposedly coming spring 2009

That Prototype figure will be mine.
    Oh yes.
    It will be mine.

Well, hopefully. You get it for pre-ordering the game.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

I have this figure! It's packed away in a box somewhere though...

Sharp101 on
    edited May 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »

I have this figure! It's packed away in a box somewhere though...

I used to as well! She stands so weird.

Faynor on
This discussion has been closed.