Options

The new action figures thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MegaDoomer, what is it that you have your toys displayed in?

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cr0w, how much did you spend on that Alternity Convoy?

Antimatter on
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    It was $65 including shipping from a seller on Ebay. Apparently the red one is getting fairly hard to find, so you could probably get the silver or black (Nemesis version) ones for a little less if you didn't care about the color all that much. Also the seller was in the US, which was a plus.

EDIT: Ah, fuck it. Just bought this one.
    image_728_106.jpg

Also, Schide...I held off on Nike Convoy for months since my comic shop wanted $90 for him, but the manager finally just wanted to get rid of it and gave it to me for $45. Still a little steep, honestly, considering how small he is, but I'm a Prime fanatic. I also recently picked up the Human Alliance Bumblebee from the movie, here are a couple pics.
    Human_Alliance_Bumblebee.jpg
    1233243343_HABumblebee1.jpg

He's basically an Alternators movie Bumblebee.

cr0w on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, those are the Marvel Universe Fury Files 3.75" figures out now at retail locations near you!

Schide on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So are there some good sites to check for comic figures or am I best off just going for E-Bay? I have a handful of Captain America figures right now, but want to get some that I'm missing, as well as the rest of the Avengers. I've never really bought action figures before, and my comic shop just has the really expensive, high-end statues and busts.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ebay, most likely. You could also check BBTS.com, but whatever you do, stay away from Cornerstorecomics.com. They've had severe issues with their security being compromised for a few months, and I know at least 7 people who have had a shit ton of fraudulent charges on their cards after they've ordered from them.

cr0w on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cr0w wrote: »
    Picked up two Convoy figs yesterday. The first is the Alternity Nissan GT-R Vibrant Red Convoy. Basically a smaller (Deluxe-sized) version of the Alternators line. Lots of die-cast, lots of awesome.

convoy2.jpg

I really like that head sculpt.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So I got this today.

Maxx2.jpg

The Maxx from Shocker Toys. I would have had him in like April but I decided I wanted him like a couple days late and he was sold out. But I got one of the second shipment which got here today.

Maxx5.jpg

He comes with two heads, his regular head and feather haired Outback head. He's pretty sturdy, doesn't have any balancing issues mostly due to his humongous feet. There were a couple problems though, firstly his elbows fall off really easily due to the loose large ball joints. It's not that big of a deal and could be helped with some super glue which I need to get. Also at first his hair wasn't plugged into the ball joint, but that was remedied after some heavy duty pushing.

Maxx3.jpg

He also comes with all three Isz that were packaged one per with the other, smaller figures in the line. They don't have any articulation but they're still pretty neat.

Maxx4.jpg

The Maxx is pretty big, weighing over a pound and standing around 9 inches when upright. Here he is standing next to a 6" Madman for comparison.

Maxx1.jpg

He's nicely poseable too, which enables him to squat in this position, which is certainly welcome.

Overall an excellent figure and a decent value at $24 shipped from Shocker Toys online store. They're also coming out the second wave of figures in August/September type timeframe, which features a Tick figure in the same scale as The Maxx, so I'll definitely be getting one of those.

Schide on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just don't like the sculpt. He looks more like The Maxx from issue 5, when the Cow and Chicken guy did the Crappon cartoon.

I just think I would've expected a better toy than the one made like 12 years or however long ago it was from McFarlane Toys, and I usually don't even like McFarlane toys.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just don't like the sculpt. He looks more like The Maxx from issue 5, when the Cow and Chicken guy did the Crappon cartoon.

I just think I would've expected a better toy than the one made like 12 years or however long ago it was from McFarlane Toys, and I usually don't even like McFarlane toys.
    I have that one, and it still holds up better than this new one- despite the minimal articulation.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I went out and tracked down a Jetfire from the ROTF line yesterday after learning he can combine with Prime. Two hours later, voila!

powerupprime1.jpg
    powerupprime2.jpg
    powerupprime3.jpg
    powerupprime4.jpg

cr0w on
  • Options
    ShockerToysShockerToys Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tach wrote: »

I have that one, and it still holds up better than this new one- despite the minimal articulation.

Oh so you own both versions?

ShockerToys on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Bad. Ass.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Have you ever combined the RID Prime and Magnus into Omega Prime? Remember how hard that was?

This is worse. I was almost to the point of screaming.

cr0w on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Have you ever combined the RID Prime and Magnus into Omega Prime? Remember how hard that was?

This is worse. I was almost to the point of screaming.

My younger brother and I still have our Prime and Magnus, respectively.
    He could combine them when he was six years old, which still freaks me out.
    But it's even harder? Damn.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well..I don't necessarily know if it's harder, but there are parts on Jetfire that like to pop off, some absolutely don't fit together right (I spent 30 minutes alone trying to fit together the nose/cockpit area), and just in general they like to be a pain in the ass. Once you get him transformed and ready to combine with Prime, there are about 2-3 parts that have to fit together just right, with pegs and snap-on parts and such, and they're just hell to line up because there's just so much in the way.

Once you finish though, all worth it.

cr0w on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's hard the first time, then after that it should be pretty easy. Though I haven't combined them again myself, yet...

When I do I'm going to try the slightly different leg configuration I saw, where Optimus' knees are bent forward and Jetfire's feet are in a bit of a different position.

Also I don't think I'm going to post any of my Transformers stuff in here because if I did I'd probably end up jamming up the thread with way too much Transformers.

Schide on
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Schide wrote: »
    It's hard the first time, then after that it should be pretty easy. Though I haven't combined them again myself, yet...

When I do I'm going to try the slightly different leg configuration I saw, where Optimus' knees are bent forward and Jetfire's feet are in a bit of a different position.

Also I don't think I'm going to post any of my Transformers stuff in here because if I did I'd probably end up jamming up the thread with way too much Transformers.

No such thing as "too much Transformers."

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You wouldn't happen to have a link to pics of that leg configuration, would you?

cr0w on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

That's cool. It's been ages since I've seen one. You should post some comparison pics of it and the old isz sculpts.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You wouldn't happen to have a link to pics of that leg configuration, would you?

Yeah, probably, let me see...

IMG00054-20090706-0431.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's all you'd need to try it out and see how you like it. As far as I can tell it makes it look less like he's leaning down than he normally does.

I wholeheartedly agree. It's just that I normally post any TF stuff I take in the TF thread in G&T, and I don't like to cross post on the same board, and other slightly anal stuff. But if you do want something, here are a couple shots I took of Human Alliance Bumblebee and then fixed up a bit in GIMP.
    HABumblebee1sm.jpg

HABumblebee2sm.jpg

Schide on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

That's cool. It's been ages since I've seen one. You should post some comparison pics of it and the old isz sculpts.

There is some great comparison pics online of Mcf's version and ours along with the old Isz and our isz and crazy poses. I actually own the Mcf's version and it was part of the inspiration on re-doing it in our line.

ShockerToys on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

There is some great comparison pics online of Mcf's version and ours along with the old Isz and our isz and crazy poses. I actually own the Mcf's version and it was part of the inspiration on re-doing it in our line.

Do you have a link to that? I haven't seen anything online comparing the two, and I don't have a Mcfarlane version of my own to compare with yours.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Yeah, probably, let me see...

IMG00054-20090706-0431.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's all you'd need to try it out and see how you like it. As far as I can tell it makes it look less like he's leaning down than he normally does.

I wholeheartedly agree. It's just that I normally post any TF stuff I take in the TF thread in G&T, and I don't like to cross post on the same board, and other slightly anal stuff. But if you do want something, here are a couple shots I took of Human Alliance Bumblebee and then fixed up a bit in GIMP.
    HABumblebee1sm.jpg

HABumblebee2sm.jpg

Sweet, thanks. Might give that a shot.

cr0w on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    More Transformers. Unless I miscounted I need one more Decpticon to even things out.

Movieformerssm.jpg

(click for high res)

I tried that different leg configuration for Powerup Prime, and it does actually give him a little more articulation in his legs. That is, you can now spread them a little. It also gives him things that look more like feet than before. He's plenty stable too. He might be a tad shorter though.

Schide on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, what molds are new for the RofF toys?

I have the $20 (Voyager Class?) prime from the first movie, as well as almost every figure from the $10 line of that first film.

I hate the films, but damn if the toys aren't awesome.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I gave that alternate leg mode a shot..it was decent, but I didn't like that his knees had to be bent. Plus his feet were a little on the ugly side. May try it again someday.

cr0w on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    So, what molds are new for the RofF toys?

I have the $20 (Voyager Class?) prime from the first movie, as well as almost every figure from the $10 line of that first film.

I hate the films, but damn if the toys aren't awesome.

Ok, new RotF molds. That I either have or I at least know are out now, or soon to be out.

Scouts ($8-9): All of them. Actual vehicles and such this time, not Real Gear. Includes Baron Ransack von Joy (biplane) Dead End (car), Depth Charge (ship), Dirt Boss (forklift), Dune Runner (dune runner), Knockout (motorcycle), Rollbar (armored truck) - not pictured, Scalpel (microscope)

Deluxes ($10-12): Blazemaster (news chopper), Breakaway (jet plane), Canon Bumblebee (car, only top half is new mold, bottom half is the same the first movie concept BB deluxe) - not pictured, Chromia (motorcycle), Jolt (car), Mudflap (car), Mudflap/Skids (ice cream truck), Rampage (bulldozer), Ravage (panther/missile), Sideswipe (car), Sideways (car), Skids (car), Soundwave (satellite), Wheelie (RC monster truck)

Voyagers ($20-22): Demolisher (steam shovel), Ironhide (truck, new head mold, new gun mold) - not pictured, Megatron (tank/plane thing) - not pictured, Mixmaster (cement mixer), Starscream (F22 Raptor) - not pictured, Stratosphere (cargo plane) - not pictured, The Fallen (Cybertron jet)

Human Alliance ($30-35): Approx Voyager size that are like movie Alternators that come with little human figures. Barricade (car) - not pictured, Bumblebee (car), Mudflap (car) - not pictured, Sideswipe (car) - not pictured

Leaders ($40-45): Jetfire (Blackbird), Megatron (tank) - not pictured, Optimus Prime (trukk)

Supremes ($90-100): Devastator (construction vehicles that don't have individual robot modes) - not pictured, Ultimate Bumblebee (new battle mask) - not pictured

Oh, and a lot of Legends which I don't have any of and don't really want to list. Plus new Robot Heroes and Robot Replicas.
    cr0w wrote:
    I gave that alternate leg mode a shot..it was decent, but I didn't like that his knees had to be bent. Plus his feet were a little on the ugly side. May try it again someday.
    Yeah, I haven't quite decided how I want to have mine yet, though I do have fun tinkering with him. Maybe I can come up with a new configuration or something...

Schide on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Do you have a link to that? I haven't seen anything online comparing the two, and I don't have a Mcfarlane version of my own to compare with yours.

http://www.shockertoys.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3215
    http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_042709b.htm
    http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=25058&st=0&p=740099&#entry740099

all IS1 reviews
    http://www.shockertoys.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3041

ShockerToys on
  • Options
    BoboBobo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    img4921m.th.jpg

Shit. Yes.

Bobo on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QglwWTgCE3o
    Jesus christ the wonder twins are amazing

Bloods End on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That's amazing. I hate DC, and I want that so very badly.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    See, that's a toy I'd actually feel bad about taking out of the packaging.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'd be more excited if I gave a crap about the Wonder Twins at all, but that's still some amazing packaging right there.

Schide on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    BAHAHAHHAHAHAHA HE COMES WITH A FUCKING BUCKET! oh the hilarious indignity.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bobo wrote: »
    img4921m.th.jpg

Shit. Yes.

The Godfather has an alien killing machine that you can't refuse.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Why aren't the Wonder Twins in more stuff? They are the best.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm totally a Toth-loving fool. Those Wondertwins toys are the shit. Buy them for me.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    After messing around with Powerup Prime some more and connecting his legs in that other configuration, this is what I have him like now. It does actually give him a bit of leg articulation, and his knees don't have to be bent to do it.

PUPrime.jpg

Also movie group shots of movie toys.
    Moviebots.jpg

Moviecons.jpg

Schide on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So Shide, I may be wrong here, but I'm guessing you like Transformers?

Mr Pink on
This discussion has been closed.