As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The new action figures thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Schide wrote:
    Ok, so SDCC news flooooowing in today. See stuff here http://www.toyark.com/
    Highlights include:
    -LEGO acquiring the Marvel license
    -Movie Thor and Captain America 6" figures
    -New Marvel Legends
    -New Marvel Universe
    -Near 2 foot combining Voltron (probably not worth it though)
    -That's it so far

I didn't see it posted here, but it looks like Lego also picked up the license for DC stuff.
    http://www.brothers-brick.com/2011/07/20/lego-gets-dc-comics-license/#comments

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    This is my must-get:
    SDCC-2011-Marvel-Universe-12_1311198962.jpg

Yes. Yes it is.

• Options
    mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm very excited they finally have a Marvel Universe Beast to show.
    IMG_8966.JPG
    Along with X-23, Iceman, Psylocke, Ultimate Magneto, and the Sinister/Gambit two pack, I'll have plenty of new X-Men to never ever find in retail ever.

mrmr on
    Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    This is my must-get: SDCC-2011-Marvel-Universe-12_1311198962.jpg

It comes with a mini GROOT. That alone makes it worth while.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Wave 20 of DCUC, along with a new DCUC Club.

In April you can sign up for a club where Mattel sends you one figure a month and bill you retail for it over 9 months, with 3 oversized figures, and one exclusive. The first figure is Atrocitus, and this angers me. It's like $30 to sign up, and $15 per figure, so that's $45 for Atrocitus and then $15 for a bunch of figures I couldn't care less about. This is similar to their Masters of the Universe club I guess. I was really hoping I could get Atrocitus in a retail wave.

But wave 20 is supposedly the last wave of DCUC. This could just be a transition to the next series, kinda like DC Superheroes came before DCUC.

I do want that Nekron tho.

p4.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Just get Blackest Night Atrocitus. It looks just as good and it's a bit bigger, which I think works well with the human DCUC figures.

I figured wave 20 would be another Lantern-themed wave, I'm glad it's not. I was worried I'd end up buying a bunch of chars I already had to get the Nekron, but instead it's all new characters for me.

Is it just me or is the Nekron pretty small looking for a BAF?

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Well, those pics are all large sized prototypes, so I assume Nekron will be properly proportioned for a BAF later.

And I kinda want the DCDirect Atrocitus, but I really don't care for the low articulation and his inward grasping claws for hands that DCD is so quick to sculpt.

p4.png
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    Where do you go from the DCU Mattel line? They started with a Batman line, changed it up to Batman/Superman, got the green light to do everyone ever.

• Options
    I dunno.

DC Multiverse Classics?

DC New Universe Classics?

Even though they've done quite a few multiverse characters already, so I'd bet on something revolving around the New DC Universe. If they continue at all, and I don't wanna think about that.

p4.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    DC New Classics has a delightful oxymoronic twist to it.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    After weeks of mulling it over, I decided that I was going to add to my Marvel Universe collection yesterday, because so far Galactus has been ruling like a king over Wolverine and Silver Surfer. So, after getting a haircut and before going to see Captain America I set out on that quest. First stop was Target. Target has had a pretty poor selection for a while (but not as bad as Wal-Mart's ONE MU figure for weeks...).

Would I get lucky? Maybe find a good deal?
    YES! Target%252520Clearance.jpg
    Then I headed to Big Lots. Did not expect to find anything there, and didn't. So I went across the street to Toys R Us. They have not impressed with with selection either, but they did have a Multiple Man I had been eyeing for a while now. Would they still have him, though?
    YES!
    Iron%252520Man%252520-%252520Madrox%2525201.jpg
    But the bigger question is: would they still have two?
    YES!
    Iron%252520Man%252520-%252520Madrox%2525202.jpg
    They also had some other stuff, mostly from several waves back (which is all I have seen in a long time). The only other one they had that interested me was Colossus, but his card was half gone and I refuse to pay full price for damaged merchandise even if I plan on damaging it myself.

But one question remained. Would my haul be enough to conquer Galactus and restore balance to my table?
    Doesn't look like it...
    Galactus.jpg

Tomanta on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    ok i'm happy with those tf:prime toys.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Nice haul, Tomanta. I saw those clearanced 2-packs at a couple Targets over the last few days, but I don't really need any of the figures in them.

I did get half price Kamala and Jimmy Snuka WWE figures though. And Space Case.

I also find it amusing that Target is already clearancing some of the Green Lantern movie figures, though I'm not exactly surprised.

• Options
    Which GL figs have you seen clearanced? Were they the movie masters or the 3.25 scale figs?

If they clearance the small scale figures for half of retail or less I'd pick up a few for their constructs. Figures like Kilowog or the rock guy have larger constructs that can connect with other figures' ones and they fit on DCUC scale hands well enough.

p4.png
  • Options
    I know the Movie Masters were clearanced, and I think some other odd and ends, but I'm not sure about the 4" figures. I don't think they were, but I wasn't paying that much attention. I'd certainly keep an eye out though.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I think my favorite part is multiple man humping galactus into submission.

I really want an Iron Fist Figure to look over my desk from the nearby shelf. Is there a danny rand figure out there?

• Options
    edited July 2011
    There are a few Iron Fists out there in the MU scale.
    There's this one, from one of the first waves.
    marvel-universe-iron-fist.jpg

And then there's a comic pack that comes with Power Man and Iron Fist, in their Heroes For Hire costumes naturally.

I think at SDCC they showed a white-costumed Iron Fist is coming.

mrmr on
    p4.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    is there a Man-Thing yet

I have a six inch one but I want one that isn't Giant Sized

• Options
    No.

You'll just have to make do with your six in--er, Giant Si--damnit you made the jokes already.

Um...penis.

• Options
    :3c

• Options
    Now that I finished wave 17 of DCUC I'm probably not gonna get many more until wave 19, and then that'll probably only be Sandman. I'm actually working on a toy review/news blog and wave 17 will be the first thing I write about. But I'm guessing that blatantly plugging a blog/site is frowned upon in this establishment, right?

In other news I finally nabbed MU Cable and Apocalypse. And they are both kinda "meh". Which is a shame.

p4.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Hmm, that iron fist seems to be up to $40 on amazon. There's some cheaper ones on ebay and I don't care about packaging since he's going to be a desk guardian.

I'll have to look around and see if I can find that double pack.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    After weeks of mulling it over, I decided that I was going to add to my Marvel Universe collection yesterday, because so far Galactus has been ruling like a king over Wolverine and Silver Surfer. So, after getting a haircut and before going to see Captain America I set out on that quest. First stop was Target. Target has had a pretty poor selection for a while (but not as bad as Wal-Mart's ONE MU figure for weeks...).

Would I get lucky? Maybe find a good deal?
    YES! Target%252520Clearance.jpg
    Then I headed to Big Lots. Did not expect to find anything there, and didn't. So I went across the street to Toys R Us. They have not impressed with with selection either, but they did have a Multiple Man I had been eyeing for a while now. Would they still have him, though?
    YES!
    Iron%252520Man%252520-%252520Madrox%2525201.jpg
    But the bigger question is: would they still have two?
    YES!
    Iron%252520Man%252520-%252520Madrox%2525202.jpg
    They also had some other stuff, mostly from several waves back (which is all I have seen in a long time). The only other one they had that interested me was Colossus, but his card was half gone and I refuse to pay full price for damaged merchandise even if I plan on damaging it myself.

But one question remained. Would my haul be enough to conquer Galactus and restore balance to my table?
    Doesn't look like it...
    Galactus.jpg

I'm going to have to check out Target. I been looking for a Spiderman.

Also, if you are ever in need of another Multiple Man, feel free to go to my Walmart. That's the only thing they seem to carry.

• Options
    Finally got a review of the skittles lantern wave of DCUC up. I hope you like this truncated version. Images in spoilers. (I hope this is okay to do)

Blue Lantern Flash
    bflash+2.jpg
    This figure is a repaint of the older Flash figure, in blue and black colors. It uses the standard DCUC buck body with the addition of sculpted boots and power ring, which is pretty well done for how small it is. The paint apps are also pretty good and clean. There are a few scrapes here and there, but very little smudges or bleeds. However, where the two pieces of his ab-crunch meet, the blue in his costume fades into the black and while the lower piece is birght blue and it just kinda looks odd. This Flash is a very slick looking figure, and even better if you've got a Green Lantern collection going. Otherwise, if a Blue Lantern Flash looks good to you, go for it. This is a very good figure.

Wonder Woman
    ssww1.jpg
    This figure uses the newer female mold. The main difference is the lack of ab-crunch joint and instead we have an oddly cut torso that rarely moves more than a few degrees without being forced. For some reason I've never cared for the female articulation as much as the male buck, even though they are nearly the same. But the sculpt makes up for it. She has a unique chest sculpt, along with new shiny bracers on each arm. Again, a good sculpted ring (which is more than DC Direct figures can claim most of the time), and the head sculpt is very nice. The paint on this one is good also, but the gold apps on any part besides the mask seem a little off. Despite the praise to the sculpt, this isn't one of my favorite figures in the wave. It's not outright bad, I just have a very "meh" attitude towards it.

Indigo Atom
    iatom1.jpg
    Atom uses a heavily modified buck, with added sculpted clothes like his boots, sash/belt, and collar/vest/thingie. Really, the whole costume is pretty amazingly done. the Four Horsemen pulled out a lot of stops for this one (not as much as they would for their Exclusive line, of course). The hair is even fantastic. This outfit doesn't hinder his movement, which is awesome. The paint and detailing is just superb. Almost no bleeding or smudges on mine. But his staff is just solid molded plastic, obviously. But it looks like it was just cut from the mold because you can see strained white nub marks around the head of the staff. Besides the rough-cut staff, he's a pretty great figure that is pretty much a must buy from this wave.

Orange Lex Luthor
    olex1.jpg
    Lex uses a mold reserved for characters with power suits of some variety, such as a previous power suit Luthor, and the old Mister Freeze from the DC Superheroes line. The chest piece is a different design, however, and if you look very closely, he still has a sculpted ring. However, nearly the whole figure is molded in orange translucent plastic. This kind of plasic is notoriously more brittle than solid plastic. The power suit mold uses roughly the same articulation as the male buck, but the torso sits on a ball joint above the abs. My Lex happens to have a very loose one, so he wobbles around a lot. Also, for some reason, his right arm has no swivel joint. It's just not there. I would pass on this figure, sadly. If you feel like risking the joints with that clear plastic, go for it, just break him in gently.

Sinestro Corps Scarecrow
    scscare1.jpg
    Scarecrow uses a thinner mold of the male body. He uses lankier legs and arms that haven't been used too often. He has open-sculpted hands as sinister claws that can still, a little awkwardly, hold his yellow lantern. Both his legs and arms use double joints that definetly work, but at least his knees were very stiff and rarely need to be moved to that degree. Like Atom, Scarecrow's sculpt is top-notch. Especially his mask/hat and noose that runs down his neck and is sculpted perfectly over his Sinestro Corps emblem. He is a good figure that, with a better though-out and painted jacket, could have been perfect. One of my favorites though, for sure.

White Lantern Hal Jordan
    white+hal+1.jpg
    Hal is the most basic figure of the wave, using the whole of the standard buck to full effect. The only new sculpt is his head, with clenched teeth and determination. He sports a sculpted ring on one hand and a useless open hand (Hal is the only figure without a lantern, unless you count Atom). The face is well done, and the teeth are very nicely detailed. But where this figure really shines is the paint job. The figure is molded in a dull off-white and painted silver with black highlights. In person this is a really awesome paint job and the sliver looks great. I really like this figure. I just play with him the most because of his simplicity.

Anti-Monitor
    anti+1.jpg
    He is able to be posed in some basic poses, but his size, and the heft of his torso, require attention to balance most of the time. The sculpt, though, is really good. The segmentation on his body and his armor are just well done. His chest piece is soft rubber plastic so you can lift it over his torso in order to attatch his head. His loincloth is also soft, but even if it wasn't it wouldn't be much of a hinderance. But if there's one big complaint I have, it's his height. The Anti-Monitor, destroyer of universes, should at least be a little taller than Stel or Arkillo, some rather large Corps members. Still a pretty cool figure and display piece.

They are for the most part very cool figures on par with what DCUC has done. If you like the characters, or the fact that they may be the only DCUC figures in their parts of the emotional spectrum (except the Sinestro Corps), take your pick. Atom, Scarecrow, and Hal are my personal picks, but they all work well together.

I hope you check out the full review (more pictures too) and enjoy future posts.

Warped Joints DCUC Wave 17 Review

p4.png
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    The Indigo Atom and Sinestro Corps Scarecrow are pretty darn cool, but something seems weird about the White Lantern Hal. Can't quite put my finger on it.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    headsculpt

• Options
    The headsculpt did seem a tad more angry than a White Lantern should be, but it's one of my favorites of the wave anyway.

p4.png
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Gank wrote:
    The Indigo Atom and Sinestro Corps Scarecrow are pretty darn cool, but something seems weird about the White Lantern Hal. Can't quite put my finger on it.

I thought the same thing...to me it's something about his torso. Like it's elongated

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I love the skittles wave. I think I'm gonna get the DC Direct Star Sapphire Wonder Woman, though, as it looks better and I think the bit of added size works, since WW is an amazon and all.

• Options
    grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    don't know if anyone cares but it looks like there are variant kreons
    when down to target and the y had a display with all the mini-figs that included a mis-labeled Iron hide
    2011-07-30162917.jpg
    and this if from some forum.
    cosplay-lego-kreo-01.jpg
    Dam you Hasbro I'm not buying multible boxes of kre-o's to get these

Also I finsished bubblebee
    I added in the windshield to make him look a little more G1 but I 'm not sure which way looks better.
    2011-07-31191206.jpg
    2011-07-31191532.jpg
    I also straightened out his arms

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    Happy Thundercats Day!

E1Duy.jpg

Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    Kickass! I think mine came today too but I haven't been home to check.
    grim123 wrote:
    cosplay-lego-kreo-01.jpg
    Dam you Hasbro I'm not buying multible boxes of kre-o's to get these
    That Prime right there is actually being given away on Hasbrotoyshop currently when you but (I think) any Transformers figure. I got one with my order earlier this week. It the SDCC freebie and they must have a bunch of extras.

• Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    Reigner wrote:
    Happy Thundercats Day!

E1Duy.jpg

Is Panthro's belt logo upside-down?

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    No, of course not. That's silly.
    the logo is right side up, his belt is upside down

Actually, despite just having typed that as a joke, it's probably true...

• Options
    grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    God F Dam I have the worst luck would'nt you know it the minute i hit the ship my loot button on BBTS is when I find wheel jack and warpath :twisted:

Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Delzhand wrote:
    No, of course not. That's silly.
    the logo is right side up, his belt is upside down

Actually, despite just having typed that as a joke, it's probably true...

That was actually the problem, yes.

• Options
    Thunder!

Thunder!

etc.
    Classics Tygra:
    ThundercatsClassicsTygra1.jpg

ThundercatsClassicsTygra2.jpg

ThundercatsClassicsTygra3.jpg

ThundercatsClassicsTygra4.jpg

ThundercatsClassicsTygra5.jpg

Classics Lion-O:
    ThundercatsClassicsLion-O1.jpg

ThundercatsClassicsLion-O2.jpg

ThundercatsClassicsLion-O3.jpg

ThundercatsClassicsLion-O4.jpg

ThundercatsClassicsLion-O5.jpg

ThundercatsClassicsLion-O6.jpg

ThundercatsClassicsLion-O7.jpg

ThundercatsClassicsLion-O8.jpg

ThundercatsClassicsLion-O9.jpg

New Panthro:
    ThundercatsPanthro1.jpg

ThundercatsPanthro2.jpg

ThundercatsPanthro3.jpg

ThundercatsPanthro4.jpg

ThundercatsPanthro5.jpg

ThundercatsPanthro6.jpg

New Lion-O:
    ThundercatsLion-O1.jpg

ThundercatsLion-O2.jpg

ThundercatsLion-O3.jpg

ThundercatsLion-O4.jpg

ThundercatsLion-O5.jpg

ThundercatsLion-O6.jpg

New Mumm-Ra:
    ThundercatsMumm-Ra1.jpg

ThundercatsMumm-Ra2.jpg

ThundercatsMumm-Ra3.jpg

ThundercatsMumm-Ra4.jpg

ThundercatsMumm-Ra5.jpg

ThundercatsMumm-Ra6.jpg

ThundercatsMumm-Ra7.jpg

ThundercatsMumm-Ra8.jpg

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Wow, those joints are really... visible. I guess that's the price you pay for flexibility, though.

• Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    Finally found the one WWE Elite I've been looking for. And after hearing on a podcast recently that he was a fan of MotuC I felt this picture was necessary.
    CrC4w.jpg

Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    How did I know who it was going to be?

I almost got him today too, but I didn't have the cash plus $16 Elites annoys me.

This discussion has been closed.