As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The new action figures thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I like the Hasbro version of Arcee more because it looks more sporty and doesn't have a solid pink gun

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Man, I feel like I should just have HLJ ship my Exhaust so I can sell for like 3x how much I paid because I don't actually want it that much, but I always feel a little too shady doing stuff like that.

Either way, putting together Menasor now and completing Superion. Should be fun despite the flaws.

• Options
    grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    Fuck. Got CW prime today and his head twisted right off

Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Jeez. Which head?

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    The non combiner head.

Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Ugh. I'm supposed to be saving money and I just dumped 108.59 AUD on the Perfect Effect PC-01 and Perfect Effect PC-03 sets on Robotkingdom.com.

My Takara Superion doesn't even come out until July, so I'll have nothing to use these addon sets with.

At least I didn't buy Hasbro Legends Powerglide and Marvel Legends Captain Marvel when I saw them in store. Shit was still expensive despite being 20% off.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I bought the Marvel Legends Hawkeye this weekend. Can't wait to open it and Pizza Dog - but I'm going to wait a few weeks until I move to my new desk at work (I moved to a temporary one today). I figure that will be a nice way to celebrate the new cubicle.

• Options
    Yeah...I bit on a case of the Thanos wave. Kinda...mediocre overall. At least I can now say I own a Batroc figure. Anybody need a MISB Hulk or Iron Man or a loose Spider-Woman, Sentry, Hawkeye or Scarlet Witch?

Also new Gundams completed:
    BlUQmct.jpg

1biTVUo.jpg

u8Q6YDT.jpg

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    That Powerglide's worth it, though. Or maybe I just really like Powerglide. Iunno.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    I'm already spending too much on existing preorders though and really need to cut back.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    #sellplasma4powerglide

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I bought the Marvel Legends Hawkeye this weekend. Can't wait to open it and Pizza Dog - but I'm going to wait a few weeks until I move to my new desk at work (I moved to a temporary one today). I figure that will be a nice way to celebrate the new cubicle.

Oops...I guess I misstated. It's the Marvel Select Hawkeye I bought, not Legends. Bit of a difference!

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So I completed CW Superion and Menasor

Superion is superior and Menasor is more like mehnasor

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    I got one CW limb to see what the build quality is like, and I figured that'd be it until Defensor comes out, but then I blinked and long story short, Silverbolt will be here tomorrow.

I'll probably give the whole mess to my nephew in a few months, so it's not a total waste.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    I caved and bought both Marvel Legends Captain Marvel and Legends class Powerglide while they were still on sale.

I think I'm offically done with Marvel Legends. This figure can't pose for crap. The feet at angled forward in a way where it can't properly stand straight, the eyes are a bit off and the unmasked face is just so glossy. It didn't look as back while in its package, but outside is very noticeable. I could use the masked head, but the eye lens aren't painted very well and I really dislike the helmet/mask, even in the comics.

Legends class Powerglide, however, is great. Fun, posable and a great representation of the G1 character. However, even though Powerglide has a neck swivel, I think I still like Legends class Thundercracker more.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    It's a female Marvel figure, of course it's not going to be able to stand. They're not built for that.

Granted almost all the Thanos wave figures I got have trouble standing, so I guess that might just be the way they're going these days.

• Options
    Thinking about it some more, I probably should have saved the money I spent on Captain Marvel and bought a comic trade instead. I've already fallen behind a bit in the latest volumes for all of the books I've been following because I decided to just focus on my action figure hobby for now, but spending money on a figure I don't enjoy, like Captain Marvel, annoys me so much.

Luckily by the time I'm ready to continue buying trades they'll probably be a little cheaper due to sales or something.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Amazon had over a dozen of the Air Raid figures for 18.99 all week.

Went in this morning to buy one since I got paid, only ones they have left are the gougers at $45.00+

Welp

• Options
    I'm starting to warm up to CW Defensor. It still bothers me how Hot Spot's tiny hip joints are showing in Combined mode, but not as much as when he was first revealed.

http://tfnd.net/discuz/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=36063&extra=page=1

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Honestly, I'm happy with all of the Combiner Wars gestalts I've seen so far since they've blown the Gen 1s out of the water. I still need to figure out how I'm going to swing Devastator since I've heard he's only coming out only as a boxed set.

Nobody on
  • Options
    Every new picture I see of CW Devastator makes me like him less. Scrapper in leg mode is basically him doing a hand stand

http://www.transformersdioramas.com.br/2015/04/combiner-wars-titan-class-devastator-g1.html

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    He's not really a combiner he just conned his way on to the constructobot team

Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ...I just impulse purchased CW Megatron because Amazon had two left from their own store at retail price.

I didn't even think, I was just like, RARE GET NOW ME ME MINE CLICK CLICK CLICK.

What the hell, me.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    Okay, cancelled that Megatron. I'll wait for Apollyon like a grown-up.

Instead, I'm going to buy an MMC Hearts of Steel Skywarp and paint all the gray bits some sort of brassy bronzey color. That mold is just aching for an Annihilator-esque color scheme.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Scrapper in leg mode is basically him doing a hand stand
    To be fair, that's pretty accurate to the original toy.

Yeah, I see a lot of people excited about this guy, but to me he seems just really... awkward. Some parts look too thin, others too thick, things are out of proportion, and so on. It doesn't help that every single photo set I've seen (probably all coming from the same source) has Scavenger mis-transformed, with the treads flopping about.

Third-party toys have ruined first-party toys for me. Now if only we can get those prices down into the affordable range.

• Options
    Just because it's accurate to the original toy doesn't mean it's a good thing. It'd be like having a new Megatron with a trigger crotch.

But yeah, from the moment I saw the CW Constructicons I knew I wasn't going to buy this figure. The whole set is just not very good and the only draw is having an articulated Devastator.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

Yeah, I see a lot of people excited about this guy, but to me he seems just really... awkward. Some parts look too thin, others too thick, things are out of proportion, and so on. It doesn't help that every single photo set I've seen (probably all coming from the same source) has Scavenger mis-transformed, with the treads flopping about.

Third-party toys have ruined first-party toys for me. Now if only we can get those prices down into the affordable range.

But look at Superion. Just look at him.

He's glorious. Every component is highly articulated with a nice sculpt, the combined mode is amazing, the transformation is top notch... he eats the third party's lunch. Seriously. Combiner Wars Superion is amazing. Which makes Devvy much more disappointing.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Aw crap. Just learnt Figma Lucina is delayed to JUNE

Why can't you ever release on time, Good Smile Company!

EDIT:
    FEMALE MP TRANSFORMER!

I mean it's a repaint/remold of Tracks, but still looks cool!

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

He's glorious. Every component is highly articulated with a nice sculpt, the combined mode is amazing, the transformation is top notch... he eats the third party's lunch. Seriously. Combiner Wars Superion is amazing. Which makes Devvy much more disappointing.
    To be honest, I don't like the comically-oversized limbs that the Combiner Wars combiners have. Also, those hand-feet make me so angry I don't know what to do with myself.

I will agree that he looks way better than Devastator, but unfortunately that's not saying much.

• Options
    edited April 2015

To be honest, I don't like the comically-oversized limbs that the Combiner Wars combiners have. Also, those hand-feet make me so angry I don't know what to do with myself.

I will agree that he looks way better than Devastator, but unfortunately that's not saying much.
    He's so much cheaper then the third party offering that I didn't feel to bad about ordering the add on hands and feet[\url]

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yup, I saw those after I made my previous post. They look pretty dang good. Good enough to maybe make me want that Superion - although, if I understand it right, it's like ~$65 for the limbs + ~$25 for the torso + ~$33 for the third-party upgrade set, which is ~$123. Now, that's obviously waaay cheaper than a third-party combiner, but it's still outside the realm of "frivolous impulse buy".

I think it's kind of amusing how many third-party upgrade sets there are that make my opinion of a first-party toy go from "ugh" to "oooh!". It all started with that amazing Bruticus upgrade set by FansProject.

• Options

Yup, I saw those after I made my previous post. They look pretty dang good. Good enough to maybe make me want that Superion - although, if I understand it right, it's like ~$65 for the limbs + ~$25 for the torso + ~$33 for the third-party upgrade set, which is ~$123. Now, that's obviously waaay cheaper than a third-party combiner, but it's still outside the realm of "frivolous impulse buy".

I think it's kind of amusing how many third-party upgrade sets there are that make my opinion of a first-party toy go from "ugh" to "oooh!". It all started with that amazing Bruticus upgrade set by FansProject.

Uh.. you mean that Superion upgrade set by fansproject.
    Yes it does add up but still a lot less then 500$

Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Amazon had over a dozen of the Air Raid figures for 18.99 all week.

Went in this morning to buy one since I got paid, only ones they have left are the gougers at $45.00+

Welp

And Amazon got more CW Air Raids in, should have mine by next Monday

Found Motormaster in the wild so I picked him up too.

• Options
    edited April 2015

I like the CW combiners. I mean, I like the idea of them, and I like that they're $15 for limbs and $25 for the torso when retailers aren't being stupid, and I like how much better these are than the last several attempts at first party combiners. But this is kinda silly.

These would have been game changers four or five years ago. The entire third party market would have shifted around them. Uranos and Intimidator wouldn't exist, probably along with most of the other 3P combiners. Instead, we'd be looking at Crossfire Colossus-style addons, with one or two replacement figures plus several added parts.

The 3P market would have shrunk accordingly, probably. Maybe the shift to MP-style 3Ps would have come sooner, maybe the market wouldn't be so large in general. We'd definitely have fewer online storefronts, at any rate.

But the thing is, that didn't happen. Holding CW Superion up to Uranos, the only thing that the former has the latter beat on is price. The proportions are worse, the hands and feet are worse, the bot modes are worse, the altmodes are worse. I can't imagine a different result were I to go buy some Menasor bits and hold them up against Intimidator (or M3 or whatever, I have it and I can't even be bothered to remember which name is right).

Now, the price thing is significant. Really significant, in TFC-related cases. If I had the choice - if I was just now buying in - I'd go for Superion with a bunch of addons over Uranos, simply on price. I don't see myself going with a TFC or Maketoys Defensor when a first party version is a couple months away.

But only on price. Not on anything else. On price they win; on everything else, they only suffice. I'm not going to pretend that CW Defensor is better, even when I have him. CW Defensor plus having $300 or so in my pocket is a nicer situation to be in, all things considered, but it doesn't make Rook a better Groove than [insert TFC/MT Groove's name here].

And that's not really how you eat other guy's lunch. You don't win that way, a few years late with an economy model of the sports cars that came out several years ago. The CW combiners aren't better - they simply exist, warts and all. They're an option.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    143999 wrote: »
    TFC or Maketoys Defensor
    I didn't know that this was a thing that was going to happen, so I looked up prototype photos and now I'm trying to figure out if I really need to eat, or to have two kidneys.

(The MakeToys Devastator is still my favorite third-party combiner.)

• Options
    edited April 2015
    So according to the exchange rates by my bank, the Aud has been worth at least 101 Yen for the past few days now. However Paypal, google and a bunch of other sites are telling me its around 90 Yen.

Exchange rates are confusing. Luckily I haven't been invoiced for my April HLJ orders yet.

Ah. nevermind. I had the conversion at selling cash rather than buying. I am the dumb :P

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    BoboBobo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ztyi5Vpl.jpg

I need to start spending less on prints and more on frames.

• Options
    Is,that the new mezzo ,batman? Hate my new phones keyboard comma is too close to,the,spacebar

Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Finally got my CW Air Raid, next month I can work on getting the Stunticons.

• Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So after drifting away from toys in general the past few months, I've discovered a new love: ReAction figures. So far I've picked up some of their horror offerings, as well as the Universal Monsters set, which is a brilliant callback to the Remco monsters I had as a kid. This weekend, I found what is possibly my favorite line of figures in years:

-600-height-files0_0reaction0_0karatekid0_0set.jpg

I fucking love these things. So simple, but they hit the mark for '80s kids like me.

This discussion has been closed.