As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

12(b)(6) [chat]

• Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    Oboro wrote: »
    EDIT: so I'll need an ethernet cable to plug into the additional routers and configure them, correct?
    If you don't have one handy then you can probably reset the router to factory defaults and log in wirelessly.
    I'll still need to cable one of the routers, I mean

the issue is that our landlord-roommate often goes away for days at a time, and refuses to leave her room unlocked, despite the fact it's the only gateway to the laundry machines, second bathroom (and shower), and the wireless router

so we can't plug anything in to configure it, nor can we steal the cabling from that room for the time being

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    EDIT: so I'll need an ethernet cable to plug into the additional routers and configure them, correct?
    If you don't have one handy then you can probably reset the router to factory defaults and log in wirelessly.

the issue is that our landlord-roommate often goes away for days at a time, and refuses to leave her room unlocked, despite the fact it's the only gateway to the laundry machines, second bathroom (and shower), and the wireless router

so we can't plug anything in to configure it, nor can we steal the cabling from that room for the time being

no, i don't think you need to plug in a repeater

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

If by "cable" you mean "connect to the modem" then yes. If you can connect your laptop to the landlord's network already then you have just as much ability to configure the router as you would with a wired connection.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    well yeah but I need to make it a repeater, which requires accessing the settings, which requires plugging it into either the cable and doing it wirelessly or directly via my ethernet port

EDIT: Bama, then how do I configure the routers which are not part of the network via the network? Walk me through it :)

EDIT 2: wait, I think you misunderstand ... I don't need to configure router #1, I need to configure routers #2/#3

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mmm, I love it when the sales rep visits. He brings pie and muffins.
    I had a blueberry muffin yesterday for breakfast, and some caramel apple pie for dessert yesterday.
    Today I had lemon meringue for breakfast and now I'm having pumpkin pie covered in whipped cream for dessert.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    well yeah but I need to make it a repeater, which requires accessing the settings, which requires plugging it into either the cable and doing it wirelessly or directly via my ethernet port

EDIT: Bama, then how do I configure the routers which are not part of the network via the network? Walk me through it :)

EDIT 2: wait, I think you misunderstand ... I don't need to configure router #1, I need to configure routers #2/#3

ROUTER 1 is the one in you landlord's room right? And 2 & 3 you are gonna place elsewhere?

if so, then 2 & 3 are the repeaters, so plug into them directly from your computer via an ethernet cable.

once they are setup, you can unplug them and put them wherever.

Proto on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yay, I have just uploaded the first pic of myself in over a year.
    n505769156_1018397_203.jpg

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Proto wrote: »

ROUTER 1 is the one in you landlord's room right? And 2 & 3 you are gonna place elsewhere?

if so, then 2 & 3 are the repeaters, so plug into them directly from your computer via an ethernet cable.

once they are setup, you can unplug them and put them wherever.
    okay yeah, so I need a cable

:headdesk:

why did it take so long to reach this? :P

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Ok, that's what I was getting at earlier with the factory default thing (I'm assuming that these routers are currently in some unknown configuration). What you would do is reset (there's a little button on linksys routers, for example) and power router #2 then connect to it's network with the default SSID or whatever ("linksys" to continue that example) and then connect to the router with whatever default credentials it uses (no username, password "admin", on ip 192.168.1.1). From there you would want to set it to infrastructure mode, if available, and from there it should be just like connecting any other machine to router #1's network.

This is all off the top of my head, so that's not necessarily comprehensive.

edit: to restate, I don't see any reason you would need a cable, other than for simplicity.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Okay, so how do I make a router broadcast when it has no signal? I plug them in, and they don't broadcast.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Okay, so how do I make a router broadcast when it has no signal? I plug them in, and they don't broadcast.
    Well that's a problem. I've never dealt with a router that wasn't set to broadcast by default.

Bama on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dammit... I need to talk to a moderator of H/A, or a super mod or something...

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh, here's the problem

there's a shitload of routers broadcasting under the SSID of 'linksys'

how do I differentiate, since the Windows network browser only shows all of them as one ephemeral entry?

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited October 2008

some of them have a button on the front that sets them up after a reset.

Proto on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

*sigh*

What did you do?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The end of The Abyss always makes me choke up.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh, here's the problem

there's a shitload of routers broadcasting under the SSID of 'linksys'

how do I differentiate, since the Windows network browser only shows all of them as one ephemeral entry?
    Well shit. Is there any way to have it display different access points? It has been a while since I've used that (and there's no wifi card in the machine I'm on) so I'm not exactly sure.

Of course, you could just connect to the network, log into the router (since they probably also have the default login/pass) and change the SSID. Repeat until you've found your router. :)

Bama on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    haha clever Bama

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Of course I would think that your router would be the first one you'd get since it will be the AP with the best signal strength.

Bama on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also they finally repaired my wall and put my furniture back where it's supposed to be. Maybe this means I won't have this loud ass HEPA filter outside my door on Monday! :D

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

*sigh*

What did you do?

Not something I did. Something I want to do.
    With Thanatos
    Oh yeah! :winky:
    drew1.jpg

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Of course I would think that your router would be the first one you'd get since it will be the AP with the best signal strength.
    you'd think that, right?

but no, 'linksys' was the first

and now linkcyst has fallen

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    you'd think that, right?

but no, 'linksys' was the first

and now linkcyst has fallen

Weird, I've got a similar problem with my linksys product.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Supe, "Breaks are 15 minutes"
    Me, "Yeah"
    Supe, "You've been gone 25 minutes"
    Me, "Yeah"
    Supe, "What do you have to say for yourself"
    Me, "Lunch is 30 minutes."
    Supe, "....oh"

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Me, "Yeah"
    Me, "Yeah"
    Supe, "....oh"
    You know, I don't like to say this too often, but...

Owned.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I sorta came off like an ass but I'm too tired to sound nice.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    y'know what, fuck it

I'm not going to go through all the trouble just because I'm hungry

I'm a shitty angler anyway, and it's a shitty lake, and I probably wasn't going to catch anything

better to just sit here and wait until Monday when I have my interview on whether or not I need food benefits :|

You know if you call DSHS, like right now because it's a damn Friday and they are bureaucrats, and explain your situation you might be able to get some emergency food aid today to hold you over until they make their decision.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Obo change the damn SSID never leave the SSID the name of the router.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Me, "Yeah"
    Me, "Yeah"
    Supe, "....oh"
    You know, I don't like to say this too often, but...

Owned.

That's not just owned, that's hunted down, captured, marched to the nearest port, shipped across the Atlantic in the belly of a ship, docked, put up for auction, bought, and then owned.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    it's not my fucking router, I'm changing the names of other people's routers so that I can access my own

I know about goddamn networking, otherwise I wouldn't be cloning Mac addresses and setting up access points off the top of my head :x

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    This is why I had no qualms about suggesting that she break other people's networks to sort this shit out. People that don't take the time to configure wireless routers deserve (most of) what they get.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    y'know what, fuck it

I'm not going to go through all the trouble just because I'm hungry

I'm a shitty angler anyway, and it's a shitty lake, and I probably wasn't going to catch anything

better to just sit here and wait until Monday when I have my interview on whether or not I need food benefits :|

You know if you call DSHS, like right now because it's a damn Friday and they are bureaucrats, and explain your situation you might be able to get some emergency food aid today to hold you over until they make their decision.
    I'm not going to do this

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    anyway we have a new issue in that the AC adapter supplied with one of the routers is the wrong voltage, and is consequently not working

and I cannot get the second router to broadcast for the life of me, but on closer inspection this is because it's a LAN switch

whoops

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This is why I had no qualms about blaming the victim. People that don't take the time to configure wireless routers deserve (most of) what they get.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    That's not just owned, that's hunted down, captured, marched to the nearest port, shipped across the Atlantic in the belly of a ship, docked, put up for auction, bought, and then owned.

Oh yeah baby, and then what? :winky:

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    This is why I had no qualms about blaming the victim. People that don't take the time to configure wireless routers deserve (most of) what they get.
    Listen, you didn't see how that router was dressed. It knew what it was getting into.

Bama on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Oh yeah baby, and then what? :winky:

That's not a story for public eyes

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    also it annoys me no one really has responded to my H/A thread

I don't want to commit fraud but I don't even know if I'm committing fraud, grrr

I'm-a go take a shower beebellz

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I sorta came off like an ass but I'm too tired to sound nice.

I was looking for the Bill Hicks quote but found this instead:

"That's starting to annoy me about UFOs, the fact that they cross galaxies or universes to visit us, and always end up in places like — Fyffe fucking Alabama. Maybe these aren't super-intelligent beings, you know what I mean?"

James on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm-a go take a shower beebellz

Heehee, I'm going to use that one, it's adorable.

Beebellz.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
This discussion has been closed.