As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Top 10 Bands/Songs

flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
We haven't had a decent, non-genre-specific music thread in a while, because of the megathread ban. I'm not huge into hip-hop or metal, although I like a little of both, and the Alternative Music thread seems to have dropped off the face of the boards because no one really cares about alternative music. Anyways...

I decided to make a mix CD of my 10 favorite bands and my favorite song by each one of those bands. It took a lot of thought, but I finally came up with something I consider decent.

I'd like everyone to think about their 10 favorite bands and their favorite song by those bands, and talk a little bit about it. I don't want this to just be a poll thread, so at least try to explain a little bit why you like each band/song.

Mine:

10. The Decemberists- Grace Cathedral Hill

One of the most inventive indie (not anymore!) pop/rock bands around today. Instead of doing the standard introspective angst (not that I have anything against that, it can be done very well) of most of their contemporaries, almost all their lyrics tell a story, usually one set in some long-ago time, with duchesses and pirates and chimney sweeps and whatever. Interestingly, when I had to choose a favorite song by them, I chose one that is less story-telling and more emotional, because while their stories/lyrics are always very inventive and gorgeously crafted, emotion ultimately wins. Plus I love the matter-of-factness of the "We were both a little hungry/ So we went to get hot dogs" line.

09. Neutral Milk Hotel- Two-Headed Boy

One of the classic staple bands of indie-rock, although sometimes it's hard to explain why they're great because people get hung up on Jeff Mangum's voice. But he knows how to use a bad voice well. If he had a typical good voice, the emotion in the lyrics wouldn't be as raw and intense. Love this song for its fast, catchy melody and its dark and surrealistic but ultimately beautiful lyrics. Most people's favorite is Holland 1945, which is another great one, but for some reason, Two-Headed Boy just gets to me, despite lacking NMHs more creative instrumentation.

08. Pink Floyd- Vera

I don't think I need to explain why Pink Floyd are awesome. Yeah they can be pretty self-indulgent and over the top, but with melodies and lyrics as great as theirs, it doesn't matter. Nevertheless, I went with one of their shorter, more intimate songs rather than the obvious ones like Wish You Were Here or Comfortably Numb. I love those songs, but they make more sense in their context, while Vera is a beautiful little thought all by itself. I also considered Goodbye Blue Sky, but this ultimately won out.

07. Aquarium- Garcon #2

I don't think anyone here has heard of this band, and I'm not trying to be some kind of elitist jackoff, they're just a Russian band. Pretty huge over there, basically unheard-of everywhere else. This song instantly conjures up an image of St. Petersburg and captures it exactly. The lyrics are great. Can't explain this to any non-Russians. Next.

06. The Arcade Fire- Neighborhood #1

I was hesitant about this band at first because the whole indie crowd was flipping a shit about them but it turns out they were right- this band is great. Very orchestral and nostalgic music juxtaposed with the standard indie hihat-snare beats creates a unique atmosphere and while the lyrics don't appear to make much sense (But sometimes/ We remember our bedrooms/ And our parents' bedrooms/ And the bedrooms of our friends/ And then we think of our parents/ WELL WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THEM?) but they way Win Butler sings it, makes them make sense somehow.

05. The Beatles- In My Life

Duh. Had a very hard time picking a favorite Beatles song- there are just so so so many incredible ones to choose from. Eventually settled on this reflective song from Rubber Soul- rumored to be Lennon's favorite as well.

04. Modest Mouse- Lives

Once again, hesitant about this band at first because of all the hype and their status as indie gods or whatever. Turns out they kind of are. I thought about all their fun quirky songs, but couldn't resist the raw sincerity of one of their most emotional songs. The lyrics are devastating:

it's hard to remember, it's hard to remember we're alive
for the first time
it's hard to remember, it's hard to remember we're alive
for the last time
it's hard to remember, it's hard to remember to live
before you die
it's hard to remember, it's hard to remember our lives
are such a short time
it's hard to remember, it's hard to remember that it takes
such a long time

They seem so simple, but once again, it's all in the delivery.

03. Wolf Parade- I'll Believe in Anything

I can't deny this song. Yeah they're a new band and yeah they kind of sound like Modest Mouse but their album is just so good and this is far and away their greatest song and quite possibly the greatest song of 2005. It's anthemic without being obvious about it, the kind of song you want to scream at the top of your lungs when you're drunk. Has one of the most exhilarating climaxes I've ever heard. It just builds and builds and builds and explodes with emotion and never comes down until it's over.

02. Radiohead- Street Spirit (Fade Out)

Duh. They have so many inventive and intricate songs, which I love, but once again I leaned towards emotion. Their saddest and darkest song. Completely hopeless, but so beautiful.

01. The Smashing Pumpkins- Age of Innocence

My favoritest band EVAR. Can't explain why. They have many flaws which people are quick to jump on but I can't deny the beauty of the majority of their songs. This song, from their much-maligned and largely-ignored album Machina, pretty much defined my young life. Of course I love the classics, like Today and 1979, both incredible songs but this one just gets to me like nothing else:

cause for the moment we are free
we seek to bind our release
too young to die, too rich to care
too fucked to swear that i was there

desolation yes hesitation no
as you might have guessed
we won't make it home

*phew*

Your turn.

y59kydgzuja4.png
flamebroiledchicken on

• Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    ege02 on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    So do you guys just hate music or what?

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    10. Dream Theater - Space-Dye Vest
    Kevin Moore is a genius. The emotion in this song blows away almost everything else DT has ever put out. The piano is great, and the added samples, while kind of weird, add a lot to the song.

9. In Flames - Goliaths Disarm Their Davids
    Despite not being on a proper album, this song is my favorite from IF. The melodies are outstanding, as is the solo. Just pure awesome rocking out in this song.

8. Agalloch - You Were But A Ghost In My Arms
    The mood in this song is completely awesome. The slightly monotone singing of the chorus both fits and is catchy as hell.

7. Anathema - Closer
    This song gives me goosebumps almost all the way through. The electronic voice was a perfect fit. It's so haunting.

6. The Beatles - Yesterday
    A perfectly heartfelt song from one of the most influential bands of all time. It's simple, but it sounds so great anyway. This was also one of the first Beatles songs I ever heard.

5. Devin Townsend - Deep Peace
    The sound on this song is astounding. The added outside noises add to the emotion of being drowned in the outside world. The song starts out simple and effective, and then goes into one of the greatest solos ever. Dear god that solo is awesome.

4. Pain of Salvation - Iter Impius
    It was between this song and Ashes. As much as I absolutely love the haunting quality of ashes, this song beats it just barely. The piano melody is one of the catchiest I've ever heard. It's so bleak and sad. It's about a man who had everything in life and wakes up to a world he helped destroy. He then refuses to end it easily and kill himself. Gildenlow's vocals are completely great in this song, too, though that's true for pretty much all of his songs. It's the perfect near end to a nearly perfect concept album.

3. Opeth - Bleak
    This song is unbelievably awesome. The vocal harmonies created between Akerfeldt and Steven Wilson are astounding. It's extremely heavy and extremely melodic, the best of both worlds.

2. Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
    As much as I hate putting the cliche'd song on here, I have to. This is probably the greatest guitar solo of all time. The song would have probably made it on this list without that, though. It's just a great song all around.

1. Porcupine Tree - Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before it is Recycled
    This band was so hard to pick a song from. I like every PT era pretty equally, and their songs all sound so different. It was between this song, Trains (Rockpalast Version), and Moonloop (unedited Improvisation).
    I think ultimately I had to pick this one because it's a perfect combination of the spacy era PT and the poppier era PT. And, I really relate to the lyrics.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'll play, although this is just more off the top of my head than really carefully considered:

Nas - "The World is Yours"

Too say I'm obsessed with this song would be an understatement. I'm not positive how to exactly describe. On a number of criteria it really isn't Nas' best work -- it wanders, there's no clear subject, the rhymes are obviously good but not necessarily even his best -- but I think that's what I like best about it. It's sort of a mess, three big verses not entirely connected except by the feeling that goddammit, the world is YOURS. It's all around and it's messy and it's hard to pin down but you're still the one in control, just like Nas is as he moves his narrative around as he pleases. That and I'm a sucker for songs with vague positivity.

Prince - "Darling Nikki"

It's everything that's good about Prince -- beautiful melody, great '80s pop production sounds, unapologetically sexy lyrics, a sort of mess of pop, soul, funk, and rock, and fairly epic song structure. It's hard not to say "When Doves Cry" or "1999" but really those songs are missing the essential sexiness of Prince. This is like a four minute encapsulation of all the albums prior to Purple Rain. It's amazing, oh, and catchy as hell.

The Roots - "Water"

Easy pick, perhaps, because it's more intellectual than heart-felt, but you just can't help it -- this song is quietly one of the greatest hip hop songs ever recorded PLUS it manages to capture so many essentials of the Roots. Philly setting? Check. Rugged, beautifully, intensely tweaked production? Check. High concept 10-minute noise song? Yup. Beat that goddamn KNOCKS? Oh yeah. And intensely heartfelt lyrics to match the song's mood perfectly about a loved one succumbing to drug addiction? Uh huh. It's all here.

Radiohead - "Paranoid Android"

How could you say anything besides this song? Three-part structure, easily maneuvers up-beat rock song all the way to the slowed down "rain on me" ballad, and somehow still clearly the stand-out song on an album full of stand-out songs. Perfect balance between self-indulgent and just straight crowd-pleasing.

Soul Coughing - "I Miss the Girl"

It's all about the live jungle drumming on this one, plus the great sample, plus the great lyrics which are vague and more symbolistic than anything, but they still somehow resonate. Every time it hits the drum breakdown about halfway through, though, I start losing my shit.

Blackstar - "Respiration"

I'm in love with the city and I'm in love with this song about the city. Beautiful metaphor about city life, ridiculously gorgeous, plus it features Common, a sample from Style Wars, and just a beautifully laid back beat to boot. Everything that is perfect about hip hop is on display in this song.

De La Soul - "Stakes is High"

Another one of those stand-outs in a sea of stand-outs. Picking one De La song is next to impossible, probably the most difficult of any I've listed so far, but this is so clearly a high water mark that it's hard to ignore. Makes all "hip hop has gone astray" songs ever recorded after it obsolete. It hits everything that is wrong with image-obsessed culture and does it succinctly, clearly, and to a ridiculously catchy beat. One of those songs that you just know felt better than sex once the artist had finally gotten it off their chest.

That's all I got from my favorite artists. Thinking of other artists that I'm really obsessed with, it's just dumb to pick only one song. I could name plenty of "best song from one artist" songs, but I couldn't really claim they're my favorite groups or anything. And you're totally wrong about Modest Mouse, their best song is and as far as I can tell always will be "Float On," with "The View" also in strong contention.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    No, I just hate arbitrarily attempting to identify and rank a "Top Ten" anything out of the universe of stuff I like.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    1. Elliott Smith - "See You In Heaven"
    This is an instrumental form of a song caled "My New Freedom," and is probably the most listened to track on my computer. When the slow little intro ends and the sleigh bells start, it just immediately picks me up. The bass really keeps the song moving, and the layering is just awesome. There are an insane amount of tracks, and it makes the song sound really full.
    The chorus kind of fades out midway, and picks up immediately with much louder and heavier guitars, and a lead guitar going over that. It picks it up, but also leads beautifully into the ending, where the tempo dies down and everything just fades away. I don't know why, but ever since the first time I heard the song I knew it was my favorite.

2.The Beatles - "Blue Jay Way"
    I decided on this one after a lot of thinking. I just think this song is really beautiful, and I especially like the eerie backwards backing vocals and instruments. I don't really know what to say about this song other than that I love it.

3. Daniel Johnston - "Favorite Darling Girl"
    I really like the opening's guitar part, which leads beautifully into the opening lyrics, "Just then she talks too loud/she says I'm not allowed." The song is really simple (it's Daniel Johnston) but unlike some of his other songs, doesn't sound like the rhyming is there just to rhyme. I really like the lyrics, especially the ending lines. "Said she had wrecked my world/My favorite darling girl/Can’t find me a friend/Guess I lost again"

4. Emitt Rhodes - "Promises I've Made"
    I think this is the most perfect pop song Emitt Rhodes wrote, and he wrote a lot of awesome pop songs. The vocals are on the right channel, with the backing vocals on the left . I always like little things like this, especially because I really like Emitt Rhodes' backing vocals.
    The lyrics are so perfect, even though they are repetitive,and every line sounds like it should be there. The ending instrumental part with him just ooh-ing and aah-ing over instruments that are slowly being drowned out is just great.

5. The Flaming Lips - "Fight Test"
    I'm not sure about this one. Yoshimi isn't my favorite CD, but I think this song is my favorite stand alone Flaming Lips track. The chorus is probably my favorite part of the song, especially the last one where it overlays the verses. I don't really know what else to say about this song...
    In fact, I'm kinda stuck overall. I don't know what the next five songs will be. I guess I'll edit when i think of them.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    No, I just hate arbitrarily attempting to identify and rank a "Top Ten" anything out of the universe of stuff I like.
    It's better to just fly off the cuff and write about music a little, at least that's how I approach it. It's not like I think, you know, the one listed above is superior or inferior to the ones above or below it, I just know it's a song I love by an artist I love, so I fuck around and write about it. If one more person listens to "Darling Nikki" because of my post here, then my work is done.

• Options
    edited October 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    And you're totally wrong about Modest Mouse, their best song is and as far as I can tell always will be "Float On," with "The View" also in strong contention.

Gotta love Float On, it's just so...positive. And completely life-affirming. Probably my second favorite song of theirs, or at least tied for second with Ocean Breathes Salty. I can't get over the lyrics for Lives, though.

Man, I gotta listen to more hip-hop.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:

Well I don't take it very seriously and I definitely don't stick to it, I just like thinking about the music I like, and thinking about which songs are my favorite songs, which bands are my favorite bands.

You could just as easily interpret this thread as "Talk about your favorite songs". Just pick ten of them so you don't go on forever.

The ten songs I picked aren't even my ten favorite songs, they're just my favorite songs (or at least one of my favorites) by ten bands I consider to be my favorites. The order moves around a lot and I try not to think about it too much, just think and write about music a bit.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    this is a pain. i agree with senj- i hate picking a top ten anything. i always feel that i have a moral obligation to leave it at nine, and save the tenth for whatever might come along.

it's also difficult because i only have four favorite bands- a core group if you will -and a bunch of other bands that i just listen to every once in a while.

that said, here is my top nine, with my top four bands at the bottom. other than that, no particular order:

Alone in Kyoto - Air
    Air isn't necessarily my favorite band, but this single song is the mot played one i have in itunes. this is principally because it makes its way into every one of my "loren will be going to sleep now" playlists, so it gets a spin at least once a day. it also reminds me of every lonely city moment i've ever had. the title of the song is perfect for the mood.

Let Me Tell You About My Boat - Mark Mothersbaugh
    from the soundtrack of Life Aquatic- basically, i love all of mothersbaugh's stuff on this soundtrack (as well as his stuff in other wes anderson movies). this one won the placeholder spot in this list because of the trivia regarding it on wikipedia:
    The song "Let Me Tell You About My Boat" by Mark Mothersbaugh contains the melody of "Scrapping & Yelling" played backwards. "Scrapping & Yelling" is a song that Mothersbaugh created and was featured previously in Wes Anderson's film The Royal Tenenbaums. Mothersbaugh muses that this was for "good luck".
    anyways, wat can i say. i have a thing for good elevator music.

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood - Santa Esmeralda
    from the first kill bill soundtrack. i always feel like something incredible is either starting or ending (wholly depending on my mood at the time) whenever i listen to this song. it's als ten minutes long, so definitively i get my fill of awesome whenever it gets a listen.

Inertia Creeps - Massive Attack
    perfect music for imagining slow-motion fight sequences to. also, the string quartet version makes me want want WANT a movie version of the 1001 arabian nights a'la the yearly chinese epic (crouching tiger, house of flying daggers, hero, etc).

To Gary and Marcus: The Sovereignty of God is Omnipresent - Anathallo
    so, i like a christian band. they're fucking amazing, particularly in concert- like, seven... maybe nine?members at a given time. three generally playing some combination of trombone and/or trumpet, a few doing various kinds of percussion (rhythmic stomping, snapping, hitting the occasional drum). they also have the most amazing band shirts evar. the singer has an amazing voice, too. i discovered them in a christian coffee shop i hang out at in my hometown, but because they're a michigan band, i'm sure no one's ever heard of them.

Dress Up in You - Belle & Sebastian
    realy, i listen to pretty much everything by B&S, this one just rose to the top of my itunes count. i love stuart murdoch's voice, and this is one of the few bands i take great joy in listening to the lyrics to. this song in particular was played at one of my best friends' wedding, so it's got a bevy of good memories associated with it.

I Don't really Love you Anymore - Magnetic Fields
    stephin merritt is the lord god almighty of lyrical perfection. he has an amazingly smooth and deep voice. his songs are airy and light, yet demand your attention. this particular song features a totally awesome... um... i think banjo solo. also, trivia: he did a bunch of the Pete & Pete (of nickelodeon fame) soundtrack.

Glósóli - Sigur Rós
    i like everything that sigur ros has done. the tipping poitn for this song was yesterday, when we had out first snow of the season here in east lansing. i was waiting to cross the street with a bunch of other students, and the part of the music where... um.. the part at the 4:40 mark in this video started jsut as the light changed and we all started walking towards each other. it was a shitty day, but it had a sigur rós moment, which counts for a lot.

There There. (The Boney King of Nowhere.) - Radiohead
    man, i had to pick one radiohead song? shit. this edged out 2+2=5, which is one of the few good and cogent songs radiohead has, exit music (for a film) which sounds like a murder, optimistic... so many songs.

i love there, there because of its lyrical content. "Just 'cause you feel it doesn't mean it's there" resonates with me for likely obvious reasons. i love this song for the fact that when i first heard it at a concert, they wheeled out a couple of extra kettle drums and it was awesome. i love the droning of the song- it sounds plodding and inevitable, and is profoundly sad, like most radiohead songs... and god, it's just just fucking beautiful. it's also a bonus that it's totally accessable for the person who has not been confronted with deeper schools of radiohead thought.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    fuck, belle and sebastian's there's too much love just edged out dress up in you. fuck!

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    1. Oval - Textuell
    2. Portishead - Only You
    3. Radiohead - The National Anthem
    4. Soul Coughing - Sleepless
    5. Bjork - Joga
    6. Nine Inch Nails - Ruiner
    7. Dr. Dooom [aka Kool Keith] - No Chorus
    8. Beck - Farewell Ride
    9. DJ Shadow - What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 1, Blue sky revisit)
    10. Autechre - Lentic Catachresis

Hidden Track: The Mathletes - 17

I don't think I can explain my choices in words.

The odd thing to me about this list, having compiled it, is that all of the artists and most of the songs were groups that I discovered in high school. There was something I heard once where some noteworthy radio DJ (I forget who) was saying that people's musical tastes crystalize forever when they're teenagers, and whatever music it is that you listen to when you first learn to drive, that's the music you'll be listening to for the rest of your life. I worry about falling into that kind of trap, and being the kind of person in 40 years is doing the equivalent of people who listen to oldies radio today, but for one reason or another my list of my 5 favorite albums hasn't changed in 5 years...

mcc on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Glósóli - Sigur Rós
    i like everything that sigur ros has done. the tipping poitn for this song was yesterday, when we had out first snow of the season here in east lansing. i was waiting to cross the street with a bunch of other students, and the part of the music where... um.. the part at the 4:40 mark in this video started jsut as the light changed and we all started walking towards each other. it was a shitty day, but it had a sigur rós moment, which counts for a lot.

Nice, I love Sigur Ros moments. Their music tends to do that. You'll be walking along, listening to them on your headphones and all of a sudden- life just comes together.

Favorite song by them is either Gong, for the skittery drums and the falsetto climax, or Ny Batteri for being the first song of theirs that I heard. Hoppipolla is also becoming a favorite, especially after watching that photostream thing of theirs.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    you're all wrong

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    MerkavaMerkava Registered User new member
    edited October 2006
    There are some really nice songs mentioned so far. Coolness. For me, songs are really hard to list. I'm really more of an album guy, but I'm going to give it my best shot.

Modest Mouse - Night On the Sun

This song shows off the best of what Modest Mouse can do. Behind the almost nonsensical, though fun, lyrics is a conflict between the band's ability to be bitter and distant and at the same time heartfelt and ethereal. I can listen to this song over and over, and the bridge is just brilliant.

Wilco - Reservations

This was tough. Wilco is such an album band that it is really hard to choose a favorite song. I'd feel guilty about choosing anything for such a consistent band, but I think that Reservations really stands out in their catalogue. Every time I listen to this song, I am in awe. I can't imagine how the band was able to incorporate so many different ambient noises and slightly out of tune chords and make it musical, as well as enhance the simple yet beautiful lyrics.

Built to Spill - Made-Up Dreams

Again, a tough choice, but I think this song has the edge. I can't explain my love of the song, it just hits me in the right way. The melody is beautiful and the oddly entracing rising synths may be what does it for me.

Death Cab for Cutie - Bend to Squares

This song is peak on a peak album for this band. The way they are able to create a beautiful pop song by actually embracing their ability to be agressive is an art they have lost their touch with after We Have the Facts, but here, it works to quite a beautiful effect. I also noticed the distorted guitar sound used at the climax is the same used in Line of Best Fit. Extra point for cohesion.

Wolf Parade - I'll Believe in Anything

Agreed completely with flamebroiledchicken. It's a beautiful, beautiful song and I still haven't gotten bored with it.

Interpol - Leif Erickson

This is one of the songs on the album that I love because of context. It's a well-built song on its own, but when listened to with the whole album, it leaves you with a great feeling. It keeps the mood, but reaches its hand out to the listener.

Fugazi - By You

How they could create melody within complete guitar distortion is beyond me, but they did it. It's totally inspiring how they knew their instruments so well that they were able to tame and use that harshness.

The Dismemberment Plan - Memory Machine

I love the robotic nature of the song. The groove is complex and very mathy yet is still groovy. The computer beeps and the atonal guitar parts really drive home the whole "broken computer" theme, but then, in the chorus, the guitars change to a collective hopeful chime, which soar above the malfunction.

Destroyer - Certain Things You Ought to Know

The song is so ghostly. The production makes the song feel as if it's drenched in a thick haze. Bejar's voice is fragile and echoes, while a sharp keyboard line, placed sparcely throughout the song, cuts through the soundscape. The whole thing is chilling, and Bejar still shows off that his freaky lyrics have meaning behind the literal proficiency.

...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead - Source Tags & Codes

This is another context song. It's triumphant and optimistic, which kind of deviates from the seemingly morose tone of the rest of the album, but it works. The bridge gives me chills. The piano works so well with the harsh, three-pronged guitar attack. Pure awesome, especially when listened to after Relative Ways and After the Laughter.

Merkava on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    mcc wrote:
    Even with the painfully short list of Soul Coughing songs out there, I would still never rate this one that highly. It's good cuz it's Soul Coughing, but in my opinion it's nowhere near their best work. For example, I'd rate the entire El Oso album before this song.

aka you so cwazy

• Options
    edited October 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:
    you're all wrong
    This is a running joke with friends of mine (about me). It still pisses me off. Since when did you get together with my friends to figure out how to poke jabs, Kusu?

• Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Agreed.

Apparently, people here have wildly different tastes to mine.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Like I said, you don't have to think about it too much, if it's hard for you to make a top 10. I can understand that. I just did it for shits and giggles and it really was hard and took some thought. You don't have to do that if you don't want. Just tell me about some of your favorite songs/bands, geez.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    mcc wrote:
    1. Oval - Textuell
    2. Portishead - Only You
    3. Radiohead - The National Anthem
    5. Bjork - Joga
    6. Nine Inch Nails - Ruiner
    7. Dr. Dooom [aka Kool Keith] - No Chorus
    8. Beck - Farewell Ride
    9. DJ Shadow - What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 1, Blue sky revisit)
    10. Autechre - Lentic Catachresis

Hidden Track: The Mathletes - 17

I don't think I can explain my choices in words.

The odd thing to me about this list, having compiled it, is that all of the artists and most of the songs were groups that I discovered in high school. There was something I heard once where some noteworthy radio DJ (I forget who) was saying that people's musical tastes crystalize forever when they're teenagers, and whatever music it is that you listen to when you first learn to drive, that's the music you'll be listening to for the rest of your life. I worry about falling into that kind of trap, and being the kind of person in 40 years is doing the equivalent of people who listen to oldies radio today, but for one reason or another my list of my 5 favorite albums hasn't changed in 5 years...
    I dunno if it's true. I listened to rock music most of high school, and now I listen to hiphop mostly. However, I did change significantly as a person between high school and college, so I suspect that's got a lot to do with it.

Are you the same person you were in high school, mcc?

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'll bite. No, I don't like narrowing anything down so far as to say "these are my top ten (or whatever) and no others", but I like evaluating why I enjoy the stuff I do. All except The Pan Within, which is unquestionably the finest song ever written since time began. :P Seriously. Nothing else even comes close for me. The rest, I can swap in and out as the mood takes me.

- The Waterboys - The Pan Within

A glorious widescreen mid-paced stomper from my favourite lyricist ever; lowslung bass, howling fiddle, slamming piano and that voice; heaven from start to finish, deliriously alive, furious, joyous, absolutely fucking kickass pagan rock'n'roll.

Put your face to my window
    breathe a night full of treasure
    The wind is delicious
    sweet and wild with the promise of pleasure
    The stars are alive
    and nights like these
    Were born to be
    sanctified by you and me
    Lovers, thieves, fools and pretenders
    and all we gotta do is surrender

is just the motherfucking voice of God. <3

- Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Sweet Pain [Joi remix]

One of the greatest singers who ever lived and a remix that does him justice; a booming Bollywood drum line, sliding monophonic bass, wet, glistening, minimal synth work and those vocals - if the man doesn't send a shiver down your spine when he hits the high notes you're dead from the neck up. :P The timbre of his voice alone makes it the perfect title.

- BT feat Tori Amos - Blue Skies [Paul Van Dyk's blauer himmel mix]

Ah, the days before Mr Transeau vanished up his own fundament and Mr Van Dyk went skipping merrily down the road to bland commercial hell after finding it was carpeted with truckload after truckload of money. <_< Late '90s progressive trance didn't turn out many tracks as good as this; a slinky, razor-sharp acid-soaked floor-filler with a beautiful, wistful, melancholy vocal from the original cornflake girl.

- A Perfect Circle - The Hollow

Lurching, sweaty, agonised nu-metal with a gorgeous, bittersweet sense of melody, a stellar production job and lyrics I identify with all too well. >_>

- Depth Charge - Bounty Killers III

Oh, J Saul Kane, it's been nearly 7 years now; shuffling, almost out-of-time beats, lo-fi synth work that sounds like something off a funk record from 1985, wholesale stealing Morricone licks left, right and centre and dialogue sampled off classic Westerns until it's coming out of your ears... how is it you still sound so flat-out badass?

- Cassius feat Ghostface Killah - Thrillah [The Streets remix]

Shambling, incoherent synths, a stop-start break that's hardly there and lyrical duties thrown back and forth between two fairly different but equally fuck-you vocalists, Skinner inserting himself in between Ghostface's flows with startling effectiveness. Drunken, lairy and nauseous, but oh so very slick.

- Bomb The Bass feat Will Self - 5ml Barrel

Oh, Tim Simenon. Come back. All is forgiven. Pretty please? :cry:

And yes, that Will Self. Really. Rolling, bouncing, vaguely trip-hop breaks with a stabbing, looping synth line underpinned with clicks, pops and rattles as if the tune's shaking itself to pieces. Slow, dark and nightmarishly persistent with Self droning his way through a savagely explicit account of falling prey to morphine addiction that worms its way into your subconscious and won't be shifted for days.

- Hybrid - I'm Still Awake [Greyarea mix]

Hybrid. Hybrid! Still more proof that their singles shine while their albums wallow in self-indulgent coffee-table pretentious nonsense; on Morning Sci-Fi this was a dreary, plodding non-entity while in the hands of Chi-town drunken lunatics Grayarea it's whipped into a pacy, edgy, hammering breakbeat rock anthem that sounds the way an ode to fruitless effort and howling insomnia ought to sound. Crank it up and I defy anyone with taste to stand still. :P

- Devin Townsend - Christeen

It's bright. It's heartfelt. It's bittersweet. It's gloriously melodic. It's the perfect pop song, it just happens to be mid-'90s guitar rawk played at thundering volume by a thousand guitars falling down a wind tunnel. Oh, and screamed into the eye of the storm by a certifiable bipolar manic depressive. Euphoric drivetime madness that deserved about a million times more radio airplay than it actually got.

- Bush - Letting The Cables Sleep [the Nightmares On Wax remix]

Yes. No, really. Stop sniggering. :P It's odd; I'd never listen to them normally, but Christ, there's... just something about his voice on a ton of their remixes, like it sounds so much more believable and emotive sans bland, generic alterna-metal backing. N.O.W.'s sparse, repetitive break, flutters of double bass, pizzicato stabs and wavering, lo-fi strings turn this into something achingly tearful and wistfully stylish, like someone dancing in a lone spotlight at the end of the party. If Bush sounded like this as a band I'd have a shrine to Gavin up in a matter of hours. <_<

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    I can't pick any all-time favorites, because I just love way too much music, but I can try to narrow the bands that I am pretty crazy about at this moment.

Thunderbirds Are Now! Les Savy Fav meets the Blood Brothers. I absolutely love these guys, and Justamustache, depsite being nearly two years old (!) still gets constant play on my iPod. I just love the energy, inventiveness and fun these guys put out.

The Hold Steady. Everybody go get Boys and Girls in America. Do it tonight. Seperation Sunday was great, but their new record is anthemic, fun, epic, earnest and absolutely fantastic. The second coming of the E Street Band, singing songs about drinking and partying and the Bible.

The Futureheads. Wire meets Rockapella. Their angular post-whatever is infectious as hell. Their acapella-style vocal trickery should be gimmicky, but instead it just works. Plus, 'Hounds of Love' remains my all-time favorite cover song.

The Beastie Boys. I first discovered Ill Communication in junior high and it changed my life. Probably my all-time favorite band, and my only regret in life is that I'll probably never get to see them live. Like mcc said, there's something about the bands that you first encounter as a teenager. This is the soundtrack of my adolescence.

The Cure. Shut up. I love them. 'The End of the World' is awesome.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Kusugattai wrote:
    you're all wrong
    This is a running joke with friends of mine (about me). It still pisses me off. Since when did you get together with my friends to figure out how to poke jabs, Kusu?
    You're wrong.

You're all wrong.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    man, i love the cure.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    man, i love the cure.
    Hello brother.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    itylusitylus Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Does it have to be bands? Most of my favourite musicians are solo artists.

itylus on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Jinnigan: Not really at all. But I could maybe say that I was becoming the person I am now during the period I was listening to most of this stuff. It's hard to say.
    celery77 wrote:
    mcc wrote:
    Even with the painfully short list of Soul Coughing songs out there, I would still never rate this one that highly. It's good cuz it's Soul Coughing, but in my opinion it's nowhere near their best work. For example, I'd rate the entire El Oso album before this song.

aka you so cwazy

Thinking about it, I'm not really sure if I chose that one because it's my "favorite", whatever that means, or because it's the single soul coughing song that was the most "important" or most influential to me. I'm not sure whether or not it would be the Soul Coughing song I find most enjoyable-- if I had to work off of that criteria it might actually be either Screenwriter's Blues or St. Louise is Listening/Maybe I'll Come Down. But Sleepless just kind of haunts me for a reason I can't entirely define. There's just a lot of subtle stuff going on in that song (if you listen to it on a system with good bass, there's a bunch of toneless rumbling drifting in and out through the song that isn't exactly obviously audible, but shakes the walls) and I feel like given the way I feel about music, I actually learned things from listening to that song. Just the way they piece the song together and the way those pieces get used over the course of the song approaches some kind of platonic form of how I want music to be made.

...incidentally, I may be the only person to post so far who did this, but I didn't list my ten in order of favorites. I listed them in the order I'd put them in were I making a mixtape. (Aside from just the question of positioning songs so they transition well between each other, Lentic Catachresis is the kind of song that just has to be the last song on the album and Textuell is the kind of song that has to be the first.)

mcc on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    itylus wrote:
    Does it have to be bands? Most of my favourite musicians are solo artists.

i should have cheated the list and named one of the other four bands stephin merritt is responsible for.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Also, Loren, I know a guy who went to school with a guy who was freinds with some of the people in Anathallo. So there's at least one other person on this board who has heard that record.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    mcc wrote:
    Thinking about it, I'm not really sure if I chose that one because it's my "favorite", whatever that means, or because it's the single soul coughing song that was the most "important" or most influential to me. I'm not sure whether or not it would be the Soul Coughing song I find most enjoyable-- if I had to work off of that criteria it might actually be either Screenwriter's Blues or St. Louise is Listening/Maybe I'll Come Down. But Sleepless just kind of haunts me for a reason I can't entirely define. There's just a lot of subtle stuff going on in that song (if you listen to it on a system with good bass, there's a bunch of toneless rumbling drifting in and out through the song that isn't exactly obviously audible, but shakes the walls) and I feel like given the way I feel about music, I actually learned things from listening to that song. Just the way they piece the song together and the way those pieces get used over the course of the song approaches some kind of platonic form of how I want music to be made.
    Oh jesus, YES I know about those hidden tones on good systems. That's one of the reasons that I love Soul Coughing so much. Oh god yes.

Also, now that I think about it, that was one of the songs that when I saw them live REALLY grew in the live experience. Like I never really had any feelings toward the song at all, but then when I saw them perform it live I realized all thise stuff in the song that just ISN'T there on the album. The album track now is a good reminder of the live show, but really a disappointment in the end.

And yeah, those two other songs you mentioned I like a lot better. Have you heard M. Doughty's solo version of "St. Louise is Listening"? It's nowhere near as good as the Soul Coughing one, but it's still good.

• Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    In no order, and off the top of my head.

triplefastaction - rest my head
    God, Wes Kidd was amazing at writing songs. Not only is this song musically and lyrically brilliant, it just makes me feel good when I listen to it. It makes me smile, every time, no matter how I'm feeling otherwise. In those four minutes, I am content.

jeff buckley - lover, you should have come over
    He has the greatest voice of anyone I've ever heard. It's just amazing. Why this song, though? I really don't know. Maybe just because it isn't everywhere like Last Goodbye and Hallelujah. But this is the one.

superdrag - sucked out
    It just exmplifies what they were about - simple power pop that you can't help but love. This is the song that introduced me to them, and it still holds up. Man, I miss these guys.

local h - what would you have me do?
    This song is masterfully crafted. It encapsulates the entire album it is on into a single song, layering little things on that you don't catch without a good set of headphones and several listens. Every time you listen, you find something new. But what really sold me on this song forever is seeing it live. Best show closer ever.

fiona apple - never is a promise

This has always, always, always been my favorite song by her. Just the way her voice moves with the music. I dunno, it just does it for me.

mountain goats - source decay

It is next to impossible to pick my favorite Mountain Goats song. No one writes a song like John Darnielle. He tells a story, he makes you care about his characters. Simple acoustic guitar, recorded on his boombox conveys more emotion than any produced song I've ever heard. I don't think you can listen to this song without feeling bad for the (fictional) person it is about.

fig dish - quiet storm king
    Pure 90's. Just a good, high energy, upbeat rock song. It has their classic clever lyrics, plus Nina Gordon does backup vocals. And I simply adore her voice. So, Nina plus one of my favorite 90's band makes me happy.

pavement - summer babe
    Another song that introduced me to a band. I dunno, I really like Pavement, so I had to pick something by them. I guess this is it.

pixies - dig for fire
    So, yeah, I think the Pixies are pretty much the best band ever not named the Beatles. This song has everything you'd want in a Pixies song, Kim doing backup vocals, an awesome bassline, some nifty guitar work, and Frank Black being Frank Black.

regina spektor - buildings
    The requisite "This is what I've been listening to a ton lately" song. I can't really explain what makes this song so good. It is just simple, and wonderful.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    regina spektor - buildings
    The requisite "This is what I've been listening to a ton lately" song. I can't really explain what makes this song so good. It is just simple, and wonderful.
    I've really been into, somewhat oddly, "Reading Time with Pickle" by her lately.

• Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    mcc wrote:

I listen to completely different music since high school. Well, I guess not completely, because sometimes I put in the old stuff I listened to. For the most part, though, I listen to music I've found since then. I'm finding new bands and music every day.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    !!!!!!!

i totally forgot.

i found my number ten.

Seoul - Amiina

they play a bowed saw.

EDIT: OMG THIRTY MINUTES OF AMIINA.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    celery77, that's interesting-- I've only seen Soul Coughing once, but it was a short set and I'm pretty sure they didn't play sleepless.

I got a chance to see M.Doughty once, right after Soul Coughing broke up and I think before he released his album. I blew the chance. I was pissed :O

mcc on
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Weezer: Across the Sea- The first song that popped into my head, this was proof that Weezer can actually write more than just pop songs, and could be awesome songwriters if they tried. Pinkerton as a whole is one of my favorite albums ever but this song is the most poignant and best of the whole disc.

Opeth: Bleak- Dreamer got it right, I could listen to this song over and over for days and not get sick of it. The harmonies are gorgeous, the melody/guitar theme is really catchy (specially for death metal), and the subject is pretty damn gripping.

Nirvana: Drain You- Since they're my favorite band it was hard for me to pick one song, so I picked the song that has gotten the most plays since I started listening to them years upon years ago. The best part of this song is the buildup to the last chorus- gets me every time.

System of a Down: Question- Any naysayer against SOAD should be forced to listen to this song first and then tell me they're not a good band. The song is technically impressive, has one of the best choruses I've ever heard, and really has some phenominal lyrics.

the Deftones: Hexagram- Chino Moreno's come a long way lyrically since Adrenaline, and this song proves it. While musically the Deftones are at their best on White Pony, this song was just so powerful for an album opener when I heard it that it totally has place for one of my favorite songs.

Against Me!: Walking Is Still Honest- Also one of my favorite choruses, the entire song is just so pure and raw- nobody yells out words better than these guys.

Muse: Plug in Baby- This was a hard choice, seeing as how I strongly like both Origin and Absolution by Muse. It was either this or Butterflies and Hurricanes. Origin/Absolution era Muse, to me, is the epitome of where rock music should have went. I don't like their new effort at all.

Rage Against the Machine: Testify- I dunno why I like this song over all the other RAtM songs. Maybe it's because it's one of the better riffs Tom Morello's come up with. Maybe it's because I actually agree with laRocha's lyrics. Who knows.

the Smashing Pumpkins: Bodies- A lot of people are going to disagree with me when I say this, but I think the Pumpkins are at their best when they're distorted and Billy's pissed off. Their slow stuff is great, yeah, but the feeling and the atmosphere of this song isn't commonplace.

Soundgarden: 4th of July- Yeah Cornell likes writing about the end of the world but at least he does it poetically. I know I talked about atmosphere for Bodies, but this song really truly has an atmosphere and a feeling about it that tops pretty much anything I've heard. "Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile, beneath another shovel load."

Sorry if it was poorly written- kinda tired but I wanted to answer this now.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Pinkerton as a whole is one of my favorite albums ever but this song is the most poignant and best of the whole disc.
    God I love Pinkerton.

I was so close to throwing El Scorcho or Falling for You on my list.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    System of a Down: Question- Any naysayer against SOAD should be forced to listen to this song first and then tell me they're not a good band. The song is technically impressive, has one of the best choruses I've ever heard, and really has some phenominal lyrics.

the Smashing Pumpkins: Bodies- A lot of people are going to disagree with me when I say this, but I think the Pumpkins are at their best when they're distorted and Billy's pissed off. Their slow stuff is great, yeah, but the feeling and the atmosphere of this song isn't commonplace.

Question! is pretty much the only song on Mesmerize that I like all of. Some of the other songs I'll like the chorus but not the verses or vice versa, but this is really a great song. I feel like they kind of peaked with Chop Suey! though.

As for The Smashing Pumpkins, there's an appropriate level of rage for them. Bodies is a great song. Tales of a Scorched Earth, on the other hand, is completely infantile garbage and easily the worst song on the otherwise beautiful MCatIS.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I think my favorite Pumpkins song is Said Sadly. Probably because Nina Gordon is singing. And like I said earlier I love her voice.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Beck - Broken Drum (Boards of Canada remix)
    Beck is his best when he's cold and introspective. The original was like listening to a guy step outside of himself as he watches a broken friendship/relationship slip away. The Boards of Canada bring another level of coldness - an almost trip hop feel to it which makes it great to drive to whilst its raining and 3am.

I removed any other Beck songs from this list because he easily fill up half of it. Memorable mentions include his collab with Air Vagabond, Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometimes, Debra, Nicotine and Gravy, and everything off Odelay

Pixies - Where Is My Mind?
    The perfect ending to a awesome film. I think everytime I hear it, it makes me stop and listen and love it. I cant think of many songs that still do this after so long.

Belle & Sebastian - Im a Cuckoo (Avalanches Remix)
    I really dont like B&S but this totally reinvents the song. Its just so goddamn fucking cheery I cant diss it. If ever Im in a bad mood I just listen to it a few times and it gets me in a good mood

Less than Jake - Ask the Magic 8 Ball
    When life fucks up and you wanna get all self deprecating. Also see The Brightest Bulb Has Burned Out/Screws Fall Out. Sometimes something hard and fast helps. LTJ are about the only ska/punk that I listen to these days even though Im fully aware they're not really ska or even punk but I enjoy em for whatever it is they are. Whiney bastards when I want to whine.

DJ Shadow - Stem/Long Stem
    The best music creates the best imagery, sometimes without any lyrics at all. This feels like the score to an 80's futuristic noir film. Just so you guys realise - any list without mention of DJ Shadow is clearly incomplete.

Wolf Parade - I'll Believe in Anything
    Its been mentioned before, and anyone who loves this song does it, but its the best drunken anthem. Or driving anthem.

The Roots - Long Time
    I dont know why this song works, but it does and it does it well.

Blackalicious - Green Light Now Begin
    Blazing Arrow is such a fucking amazingly good album and this is my favourite off of it. Gets your ass into gear and not sitting around in apathy.

weezer - El Scorcho
    Another great song to yell drunk. Also has stupid ex-gf connotations because the night we met we sung the whole thing drunk. Stupid ex girlfriend.

The Shins - Those To Come
    Another great song that just evokes so much imagery for me. I can listen to this over and over again.

aquabat on