As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Comic Thread October 10, 2008

• Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Theidar wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    The only thing I didn't like about the plasmid system is how balanced the decision ended up being to either harvest or save, so it didn't have any sort of effect on the gameplay.

Yeah, that kinda ruined the whole point of the choice for me too, once I realized I'd make up most of the difference every third sister I saved.

I just spared them because I am a nice guy. How could any of you bring yourselves to murder those cute little girls?! Heartless monsters.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    When you have this many posts it takes a bit
    But I've made some decisions about what I want to do with my life
    And foruming will not fit into those plans

Me Too! on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nuzak wrote: »
    Games aren't necessarily about choices.

It's pretty easy to max out everything in say, God of War or Ninja Gaiden, and they're still really fun.

but the choice there isn't to do with what to level up (as much) it more "what should i choose to use to fight this dude"

But there is no choice because you can eventually have all of your weapons and magic available to you.

I'm going to reiterate here that this is incorrect. The first time I beat NGS, I definitely didn't have everything maxed out. The first time I beat God Of War, I completed my spell upgrades in the second phase (out of three) of the final boss fight, and I still had one of my spells not fully upgraded. In other words, all throughout the game I was rationing out my orbs and prioritizing what I wanted to upgrade.
    yeah now that i think about it i wish you could only carry a few weapons in bioshock like plasmids were limited

you'd have to approach every situation more tactically

One thing I liked about Halo was the only carry 2 weapons at a time thing, made you think for a second when you came across a new weapon whether or not to pick it up.

Yeah, see, that's a case where giving the player LESS power makes the game better. Player power has a sweet spot. If the player is puny and useless, the game sucks because you can't win. If the player is almighty, the game sucks because you can't lose (unless you do it on purpose or something). The correct place for player power is where the player has what he needs in order to win, but only if he uses his resources just right.
    If the game is going to make me choose between "kill with sword" and "kill with magic" and offer absolutely no deviation as to the final outcome, then it's stupid. If both actions are going to lead to the exact same conclusion, then why limit me from doing both?

No, that's not stupid. In fact, pretty much every strategy game is based on this exact concept. Look at Final Fantasy Tactics. I can kill with swords or spells or arrows or whatever. But I have to invest time and training in getting my characters leveled up appropriately and I have to choose the right combination of characters and abilities.

Look at Starcraft. Just as Terrans, I can blow up a base with fighter jets, tanks, infantry, bigass battle cruisers, or even nuclear weaponry. But the entire basis of the game's strategic element is choosing how I want to do it.

Defender on
  • Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    the cheat wrote: »
    The only thing I didn't like about the plasmid system is how balanced the decision ended up being to either harvest or save, so it didn't have any sort of effect on the gameplay.

Yeah, that kinda ruined the whole point of the choice for me too, once I realized I'd make up most of the difference every third sister I saved.

I just spared them because I am a nice guy. How could any of you bring yourselves to murder those cute little girls?! Heartless monsters.

I always saved them to, but it irritated me that you don't actually lose anything signficant when you save them, it lessened the impact of making a sacrifice to do the right thing.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    In God Of War, you can max out the lightning magic and the blades of chaos and never ever have to upgrade anything else.

Games where two upgrades give you the "resources" needed to kick all ass are strange and unbalanced and I have no idea where I'm going with this.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »
    haha what

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Defender wrote: »
    Nuzak wrote: »
    Games aren't necessarily about choices.

It's pretty easy to max out everything in say, God of War or Ninja Gaiden, and they're still really fun.

but the choice there isn't to do with what to level up (as much) it more "what should i choose to use to fight this dude"

But there is no choice because you can eventually have all of your weapons and magic available to you.

I'm going to reiterate here that this is incorrect. The first time I beat NGS, I definitely didn't have everything maxed out. The first time I beat God Of War, I completed my spell upgrades in the second phase (out of three) of the final boss fight, and I still had one of my spells not fully upgraded. In other words, all throughout the game I was rationing out my orbs and prioritizing what I wanted to upgrade.
    yeah now that i think about it i wish you could only carry a few weapons in bioshock like plasmids were limited

you'd have to approach every situation more tactically

One thing I liked about Halo was the only carry 2 weapons at a time thing, made you think for a second when you came across a new weapon whether or not to pick it up.

Yeah, see, that's a case where giving the player LESS power makes the game better. Player power has a sweet spot. If the player is puny and useless, the game sucks because you can't win. If the player is almighty, the game sucks because you can't lose (unless you do it on purpose or something). The correct place for player power is where the player has what he needs in order to win, but only if he uses his resources just right.
    If the game is going to make me choose between "kill with sword" and "kill with magic" and offer absolutely no deviation as to the final outcome, then it's stupid. If both actions are going to lead to the exact same conclusion, then why limit me from doing both?

No, that's not stupid. In fact, pretty much every strategy game is based on this exact concept. Look at Final Fantasy Tactics. I can kill with swords or spells or arrows or whatever. But I have to invest time and training in getting my characters leveled up appropriately and I have to choose the right combination of characters and abilities.

Look at Starcraft. Just as Terrans, I can blow up a base with fighter jets, tanks, infantry, bigass battle cruisers, or even nuclear weaponry. But the entire basis of the game's strategic element is choosing how I want to do it.

FFT is a great example because you could in theory learn every ability, but not easily and you can't use all of them at once and the class you pick(which you can also change) affects how good you are with different abilities.

Theidar on
    Facebook
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    haha what

I know...I saw that and I was just like "THE MAN WITH THE PLAN!"

I don't know why Wiggin writes things like that. It's just begging for someone to be like "Oh come on, you can probably post on the forums with one hand while you're banging the supermodels after winning the Indy 500."

Defender on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    haha what

Basically fuck all y'all
    Also, foruming time is going to be almost nonexistent for a while
    So

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    In God Of War, you can max out the lightning magic and the blades of chaos and never ever have to upgrade anything else.

Games where two upgrades give you the "resources" needed to kick all ass are strange and unbalanced and I have no idea where I'm going with this.

I didn't go quite that route. My choice was to get my weapons as my primary thing, since I felt that the lightning spell was basically a "get out of jail free" card. In theory, I should be using my main weapons better and avoiding getting into trouble in the first place.

The first time through, I powered up Blades of Chaos and Poseidon's Rage as my primaries, although I pressed Poseidon earlier than I should have. However, toward the end, I found some really good uses for the Blade of Artemis, so that needed to be treated as a main weapon. Also, Army Of Hades was tremendously helpful in phase two of the last battle. I pretty much ignored the Gorgon and Zeus powers.

Defender on
  • Options
    Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    wiggin so crazy

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    haha what

Basically fuck all y'all
    So

So start posting "so" instead of complete sentences in the hopes that imitating TFS will help you to share his fate. Minus the dick-chopping.

Wiggin, seriously, you are acting in a way that reflects poorly on you. I'm not calling you names here. I'm not making fun of you. I'm just saying that this kind of thing reflects poorly.

Defender on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I didn't go quite that route. My choice was to get my weapons as my primary thing, since I felt that the lightning spell was basically a "get out of jail free" card. In theory, I should be using my main weapons better and avoiding getting into trouble in the first place.

The first time through, I powered up Blades of Chaos and Poseidon's Rage as my primaries, although I pressed Poseidon earlier than I should have. However, toward the end, I found some really good uses for the Blade of Artemis, so that needed to be treated as a main weapon. Also, Army Of Hades was tremendously helpful in phase two of the last battle. I pretty much ignored the Gorgon and Zeus powers.

I personally found Hades' magic to be boring, and found myself primarily using Zeuz, Poseidon and Blades of Chaos

I mean, the Blade of Artemis was fun, and I would pull it out just to be all "big ass sword smash", but I never really found a purpose or use when I had the blades of chaos.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    haha what

Basically fuck all y'all
    So

So start posting "so" instead of complete sentences in the hopes that imitating TFS will help you to share his fate. Minus the dick-chopping.

Wiggin, seriously, you are acting in a way that reflects poorly on you. I'm not calling you names here. I'm not making fun of you. I'm just saying that this kind of thing reflects poorly.

Yes I am imitating Teefs
    Teefs is exactly the person I want to be
    I know what you're trying to say, Defender, but that's part of why I'm leaving, is the "Wiggin is imitating/wants to be (forumer)" shit
    I don't even really understand how that works, but whatever

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    See, when you start posting in a style that most people identify with another poster, it brings up the possibility that you are trying to be more like them so that you will be accepted, perpetuated by your past adoration of Pony!

hth

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I personally found Hades' magic to be boring, and found myself primarily using Zeuz, Poseidon and Blades of Chaos

I mean, the Blade of Artemis was fun, and I would pull it out just to be all "big ass sword smash", but I never really found a purpose or use when I had the blades of chaos.

Oh, shit, well...here's what I found.

1) Army Of Hades in the second-to-last fight. If you use Rage Of The Gods with the Chaos Blades maxed out, you get unlimited magic power while it's running. You can cast Hades twice in this time, and it only takes a second to do, so basically it's free damage and lots of it if you have it powered up. The fact that the spell keeps working even when you move on to do other things is the selling point. It's also pretty useful in the room near the end of the game with all the conveyor belts and fire-harpies.

2) The Blade of Artemis has a lift swing, I think it's guard + triangle. It does a shitload of damage and can lift several enemies in the air in one shot, effectively removing them from combat. Satyrs are pretty much helpless against it, plus you can do it while they're in the air to get a free second hit and throw them away from yourself. You can also use a heavier swing (I think guard + circle) to inflict some really heavy damage, plus you can then camp them and hit with another lifter when they try to get up. In phase two of the last boss battle, the lift move is really, really useful because it removes enemies from combat for a long time, which is better than killing them. It's better because new ones won't come out while the old ones are still alive, which means that you are actually slowing down the influx of enemies by stunning them without killing them, ultimately making it much harder for them to overwhlem you and your family.

Defender on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    B&W was a good game until you realized you had to fucking micromanage your stupid villagers

you could get the monkey to do it. he was really much better at it.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    haha what

Basically fuck all y'all
    So

Yes I am imitating Teefs
    I know what you're trying to say, Defender, but that's part of why I'm leaving, is the "Wiggin is imitating/wants to be (forumer)" shit

Wiggin, I did not say that you want to be TFS. I merely said that you're posting things that reflect poorly on you and that you have, perhaps inadvertently, copied a distinctive stylistic trait of TFS. All I'm saying is that attacking the populace in general with "fuck all y'all" and then announcing that you have plans for you life and being here doesn't fit in makes you look petty and bitter, and makes people inclined to suggest that your life plans are pitiful and to make fun of you.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I don't really mind aging in games, but I prefer it as a way to put a boundary on open-ended games. You've got to do stuff while you're young, because after a while you're going to get old and adventuring is going to get too tough, and you'll retire. Making age directly proportional to power level is just completely backwards. Why is my guy a weakling when he's in his physical prime and a musclebound powerhouse when he turns 65?

I suppose it makes more sense for magic users, but even so. It's pretty unintuitive.

maxing out the strength stats gets you to about 32

which is pretty much physical prime

Tube on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'll also point out that the best fighters I've ever seen are all 60+ years old.

Might not work like that for raw strength, but it can work that way for a whole lot of abilities.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

so just fucking leave

you think anyone will care

I can help you out with leaving if you want

Tube on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I'll care :'(

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

so just fucking leave

you think anyone will care

I can help you out with leaving if you want

I've got it under control, thanks for your concern

Me Too! on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    haha what

Basically fuck all y'all
    So

Yes I am imitating Teefs

Wiggin, I did not say that you want to be TFS. I merely said that you're posting things that reflect poorly on you and that you have, perhaps inadvertently, copied a distinctive stylistic trait of TFS. All I'm saying is that attacking the populace in general with "fuck all y'all" and then announcing that you have plans for you life and being here doesn't fit in makes you look petty and bitter, and makes people inclined to suggest that your life plans are pitiful and to make fun of you.

I think his life plans include having his penis turned into a vagina.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I sometimes look at Wiggin and wonder, "how did he come to be such a horrible poster?", then I lose interest and go back to be completely awesome.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    And you should talk, fuckstick

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I sometimes look at Wiggin and wonder, "how did he come to be such a horrible poster?", then I lose interest and go back to be completely awesome.

By the way, if any of the moderators are wondering, this post was about Fable 2.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    No, Wiggin, see, that's what burden does now

Every so often he comes in and remarks about how awesome he is and then leaves and we all just ignore him.

Basically what I am saying is:

Shut up, Burden, shut up, Wiggin.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The new comic thread didn't deserve this shit.

sarukun on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    haha what

Basically fuck all y'all
    So

Yes I am imitating Teefs

I think his life plans include having his penis turned into a vagina.

I found myself being a little too much like Teefs on occasion. It was kind of disturbing really, and I'm glad that people gave me shit for it.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited October 2008
    sarukun wrote: »
    The new comic thread didn't deserve this shit.

The last three posts were by me, Wiggin, and Swordfights. Even I feel bad for it.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Maybe some MS Paint Adventures will make me feel better.

sarukun on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    who's going to talk about the comic instead of wiggin's abortion of a life? it's everybody in the thread, that's who!

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, the comic was pretty great.

Theidar on
    Facebook
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I maintain that since I refused to read anything about Fable II prelaunch other than release date, I will enjoy it immensely

Just like I did with Fable I.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am waiting for Monday's comic

this one is already passé

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am still looking forward to Fable 2.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You're not really imitating Teefs until you try to win arguments by ending all your posts with "okay thanks goodbye" or

L

A

T

E

R

S

Butler on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    also making 4chan references while claiming you never visit it

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also referring to forumers as 'forum poster x'

Moriveth on
This discussion has been closed.