Tam on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    redfenix wrote: »
    hey artists

is this a good deal at all

http://www.woot.com/
    the URL and that product description should probably deter you...

oh right, woot is that one deal website. nevermind. the description is still mega lame, and that thing doesn't look too hot. nothing beats wacom.

hey artists

AWESOME

realtmnt2-440x314.jpg
    realtmnt1-440x352.jpg

[edit] My psych textbook just told me that I've likely seen 18,000 murders on television in my life. That would mean three murders a day since I was born. Plus, they aren't even implying movies or video games. I watch a lot of TV, but I don't know about that statement. Perhaps it's true, perhaps it's a little bit of exaggeration?

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That's a pretty mutated turtle.

The exciting world of mo-cap.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZqoh2aUW7g

PROX on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    srsizzy wrote: »
    redfenix wrote: »
    hey artists
    is it leo or raph!? >.<

it's pretty rad either way.

r-jasper on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    r-jasper wrote: »
    srsizzy wrote: »
    hey artists
    is it leo or raph!? >.<

it's pretty rad either way.
    It's Leo from the original red-headband comics (I guess in the originals they all had the same headbands).

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jesus, I don't know if anybody here listens to Boards of Canada...but I was just in the neighborhood for some new musics, and downloaded (iTunes! Paid for!) Skyliner and Dayvan Cowboy, two songs I hadn't heard from them...and HOLY crap, they are excellent. I am quite pleased.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    PROX wrote: »
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

BANANA MOUTHS, AAAAH!

srsizzy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I looked it up. Verrry INTERESTING. Boards of Canada I mean.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Yeah, they're not for everybody. I once played some for two of my guy friends, and they told me I "listen to weird music" ...hahah :P I listen to a lot of stuff though.

Well, Boards of Canada can be kinda weird...but I really like them anyway.

MMMMMmmm.........mmmMMMusic!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Yeah, they're not for everybody. I once played some for two of my guy friends, and they told me I "listen to weird music" ...hahah :P I listen to a lot of stuff though.

Well, Boards of Canada can be kinda weird...but I really like them anyway.

MMMMMmmm.........mmmMMMusic!

This is the same gaff I get about Aphex Twin.

Tam on
  • Options
    Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I get that about every single thing I listen to. I so grew up in the wrong neighborhood.

Nineteen Hundred on
    There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey, congrats to squidbunny on the daily deviation! :)

Flay on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've been painting since I finished work on friday night til now, midnight sunday. That's a pretty good effort!

(I'm so lonely.)

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    animation mentor is so fucking awesome.
    holy shit

i'm just finishing week 2, we had to go sketch people in motion, take the best one and pose it with stu the little pre-rigged character dude they give us
    So I posted my sketches and my stu, and immediately got TONS of feedback from instructors (not even my own, just other instructors) peer helpers, people in my class
    it's fucking awesome. I took the crits, tweaked it up a bit and I already feel I've improved
    man this place is radical

radtastical
    and my prof spent 12 years at dreamworks followed by a stint at nelvana, he's so awesome.

beavotron on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    is it an actual class or an INTERNET CLASS

because that sounds fantastic

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    hahahaha, nice avatar, 1900. :P

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    www.animationmentor.com it's an internet class where you get mentored in animation by people who currently work for big companies.

beavotron on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That sounds amazing Beavo... I'm actually getting very interested with how good you're making it sound.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    www.animationmentor.com it's an internet class where you get mentored in animation by people who currently work for big companies.

The student showcase is all kinds of awesome.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Tam wrote: »

The student showcase is amaaaaaaazing!

Oh man, looking at that stuff makes me want to animate so bad.

I want to learn everything!!! Why can't school just be free?? FOR ME?? I'd be all Illustrator/Animator/Modeler extraordinaire!!

Seriously, I mean...I wanted to do animation initially, and I'm still fascinated by it. I think if I learn how to animate at some point in my life, AND can model...(while still keeping up with the drawn/painted arts)......oh man, I would be super-intensely happy.

Everybody would hire me! At once!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Tam wrote: »

The student showcase is amaaaaaaazing!

Oh man, looking at that stuff makes me want to animate so bad.

I want to learn everything!!! Why can't school just be free?? FOR ME?? I'd be all Illustrator/Animator/Modeler extraordinaire!!

Seriously, I mean...I wanted to do animation initially, and I'm still fascinated by it. I think if I learn how to animate at some point in my life, AND can model...(while still keeping up with the drawn/painted arts)......oh man, I would be super-intensely happy.

Everybody would hire me! At once!

I have this dream as well. I want to learn both 2D and 3D animation. However in reality, being strong in the triforce of concept artist/modeler/ texture artist is a much more realistic goal and actually gets you hired right away. Animation is an entirely different mindset and would take years to develop to professional levels.

edit: beavotron in your animation course, do you model your own character? or do they give you a basic character and rig to animate?

PROX on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    they focus just on animation. they give you pre-rigged models in maya to use.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, I noticed that. Those videos were still pretty awesome. You'd think these people were in it for writing, not just animation.

The whole thing seems really awesome to me, and I'd like to be able to do it, but if I really want to become a director, then I think I have to settle for other people doing it for me.

srsizzy on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I used to be really into CG animation when this school started - I remember reading all about it on CGTalk. I've kept up with it since then and if I were to go into animation again this would be one of my top choices.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    yeah it's pre-rigged models
    i decided on animation because i think it compliments myself and my style better than modeling and texturing.

i have a very "animation friendly" style, people have been telling me this for years
    and so far with what little I've done, I fucking love it.

I'll keep you all updated with how everything goes down

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I would like to see some samples. Are you learning 2D animation as well beavo?

My countenance is so frightening that I can just go as myself for Halloween!

PROX on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Can somebody please tell me how to stop being so amazingly angry when I can't draw something correctly?

Because that would be great. I mean, I can get livid if I've tried to do something 15 times and it's still not working.

I'm pretty fucking pissed right now, actually. I've never, in my entire fucking life, figured out how to make a character look like the same character if I have to draw them more than once. That doesn't make any fucking sense, now does it? I mean, I can draw pretty well, I can make objects LOOK like objects, people look like people...even portraits! So why the fuck can't I do this? Why the fuck can't I ever do this, ever ever? Am I an idiot? What the fuck am I doing wrong? I mean, I can ALWAYS see that it's wrong, it's always wrongwrongwrong, but I can't ever fix it properly, and if I do, it's by pure-fucking-chance. And by then the entire paper has so many fucking erasure marks on it it's pretty fucking pointless anyway.

AGRHGAHRGHAGRHGAHGRHAGRHAGHRGAHJWgrwt74qr3976p59q8ywefiwuhGFUCKFUCKFUCKfuckfuckFUCKFukufkCUFjfckucfhkcfuysegfkufgyasdfskugydgkuy

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    jesus christ. I mean, my anger is spilling into another post. It can't be contained

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    okay well that felt good to get out somehow...I think I just need something sweet.

and non-PMS, cause woah

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    okay, chocolate. Feeling better. I'm fucking skipping the face for now. (I'm doing the 5-point turnaround, it is quite woah hard)...I think I'm just going to do the body for now.

Off I go ~

NightDragon on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    All I know is frustrated art is never that good....at least for me anyway. I'm better off tossing it and trying something completely different.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    When you figure that out, Jen, tell me the secret.

Nineteen Hundred on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    okay, chocolate. Feeling better. I'm fucking skipping the face for now. (I'm doing the 5-point turnaround, it is quite woah hard)...I think I'm just going to do the body for now.

Off I go ~

I also have this problem. If this is your maquette character, draw from the maquette. Otherwise, simplify the geometry to the key points: eyes, brow, cheeks, nose, mouth, jawline. Give those features building block like shapes. Do an under drawing with the basic shapes, dont complete one at a time. Do underlying for all poses first, using building blocks. if the block look the same, do a rough pass over each. keep doing passes, using each stage to correct incontinuity.

PROX on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have a tendency to throw things across the room. I lost about $20 worth of silver doing that.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I never really got the whole throwing things when you're angry. I figured, it's just gonna make me angrier later on.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm more of a manic pacer. Also, for some reason, I get really hungry. I'd probably be really fat if I kept food around.

Nineteen Hundred on
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Great Scott!! I'd forgotten how complicated wings can be to draw. It feels like its been years since I've drawn a pair. I feel out of practice.

Edit: Oh, yeah. Speaking of forgetting things. My roommates tinkered with my scanner, and its settings the other day. It should be operating much better now. I plan on testing it out, later tonight, with some drawings that never scanned before. If all goes well I'll be able to post the shit I've been working on in the past months without fear of super shitty quality.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I never really got the whole throwing things when you're angry. I figured, it's just gonna make me angrier later on.

If I ever have to throw something, I make sure it either (a) lands in a soft spot, or (b) won't damage anything it hits, or itself. I'm sure everything would be a LOT more effective, mood-wise, if I didn't pay attention to these rules. However, I'd probably be a thousand dollars poorer.

The thing I never understood was how in middle school (and hah, high school even) the "thing to do when angry" for guys seemed to be throwing their cellphone (and breaking it), or punching a solid object (and breaking their hand).

Like, really? Even if you're super-angry, you think that's a good idea? Then they'd just get new cellphones.

Swear to god, if I was one of their parents...fuck no am I buying you a new cellphone after you threw your old one into a wall.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Swear to god, if I was one of their parents...fuck no am I buying you a new cellphone after you threw your old one into a wall.

If he were my son i'd make the fucker rebuild it to working condition and then maybe he'd learn not to be a total asshat.
    I've never gotten into the whole throwing shit/punching walls thing either, I'm just really fucking nasty to everyone around me.........which isn't a good thing either, but I'm aware of it, so I do my best to keep away from people for a little while until I get my shit back together.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, when I'm that angry - like, livid - I try to avoid people as much as possible until I can calm down.

and god I hate it when I'm asked, "Jen, are you okay?" and I tell them no, and to please leave me alone, I'm angry, and then they persistently ask me what's wrong over and over and I'm all "I DON'T WANNA TALK ABOUT IT OMG" and they're all "geez I was just ASKING and being NICE" and I'm all "wtf, stfu n00b" and then I pretty much set them on fire with a torch.

NightDragon on
This discussion has been closed.