Options

I'm being [Chat]woman for Halloween

• Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If I were AoB for example, I would draw a humorous sketch with a raging ND and a pile of ash and bone outside her door :p

Nothing really gets me pissed off much, but there is nothing worse than someone that is trying to be nice but comes off being nosy if they keep persisting, people need to learn how to lay off sometimes.

Veritas on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I never really got the whole throwing things when you're angry. I figured, it's just gonna make me angrier later on.

I usually throw my work, mostly when I wreck it beyond repair.

I've never really punched a wall, or thrown anything other than tools/metal work.

I threw a hammer at a guy I used to work with, but I wasn't really aiming for him, mostly in front of him.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey thats funny, I just punched the wall an hour ago. But I didn't throw anything. That would just be stupid.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    www.animationmentor.com it's an internet class where you get mentored in animation by people who currently work for big companies.

That is some very strong student portfolios, arguably some of the best i've ever seen. Not a lot of 2D animation though, that's my only complaint. I guess it's because that's all I really have any major interest in.

But yeah, that school is pretty snazzy. I might even try my hand at it after I graduate.

EDIT: Is that right? Full tuition under $18,000? Can someone confirm/correct this for me?

Godfather on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can somebody please tell me how to stop being so amazingly angry when I can't draw something correctly?

Because that would be great. I mean, I can get livid if I've tried to do something 15 times and it's still not working.

I'm pretty fucking pissed right now, actually. I've never, in my entire fucking life, figured out how to make a character look like the same character if I have to draw them more than once. That doesn't make any fucking sense, now does it? I mean, I can draw pretty well, I can make objects LOOK like objects, people look like people...even portraits! So why the fuck can't I do this? Why the fuck can't I ever do this, ever ever? Am I an idiot? What the fuck am I doing wrong? I mean, I can ALWAYS see that it's wrong, it's always wrongwrongwrong, but I can't ever fix it properly, and if I do, it's by pure-fucking-chance. And by then the entire paper has so many fucking erasure marks on it it's pretty fucking pointless anyway.

AGRHGAHRGHAGRHGAHGRHAGRHAGHRGAHJWgrwt74qr3976p59q8ywefiwuhGFUCKFUCKFUCKfuckfuckFUCKFukufkCUFjfckucfhkcfuysegfkufgyasdfskugydgkuy

You have to be my psychic sibling or some shit.

It's all "Oh man, I got this right! What a great character. OK. One more time...wait...what are...no...NO FUCK FUCK GODDAMN IT HAND THOSE ARE NOT THE RIGHT PROPORTIONS. FUCK YOU HAND!"

Like that guy I posted in the doodle thread- I like his face, but fuck if I can draw him again.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah that's my biggest fear regarding animation.

Drawing the same person over and over again, making sure they look exactly the same. It can be absolutely maddening at times.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, is there such a thing as chronic nausea? Every night for the past week or so I just start feeling sick. And when I try to sleep, if I'm on my back, everything starts spinning like I'm drunk and if I don't open my eyes and ground myself I'd probably throw up. Starting to get kind of annoying.

Nineteen Hundred on
    There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Inner ear infection? Or those clay related chemicals....?

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    20080928.png

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh man. I've never read that comic before.

...it...it's excellent.

XD

Another added to the Comics folder, woo!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hey MT - I'm not sure if you're up to writing a lot when you read this, but somebody over in H/A is wondering about how to get into advertising...I just immediately thought of you, and thought you'd give 'em some good advice!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=72199

NightDragon on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I never really got the whole throwing things when you're angry. I figured, it's just gonna make me angrier later on.

If I ever have to throw something, I make sure it either (a) lands in a soft spot, or (b) won't damage anything it hits, or itself. I'm sure everything would be a LOT more effective, mood-wise, if I didn't pay attention to these rules. However, I'd probably be a thousand dollars poorer.

The thing I never understood was how in middle school (and hah, high school even) the "thing to do when angry" for guys seemed to be throwing their cellphone (and breaking it), or punching a solid object (and breaking their hand).

Like, really? Even if you're super-angry, you think that's a good idea? Then they'd just get new cellphones.

Swear to god, if I was one of their parents...fuck no am I buying you a new cellphone after you threw your old one into a wall.
    my girlfriend broke up with my on saturday night (after lying to me for weeks, bla, bla) and when i woke up the next morning i thought i'd broken my foot. it was all swollen and i couldn't put any weight on it... the night before i had kciked a tree...probably not the best idea. but i was angry and had been drinking.

i can walk on it now though :P

r-jasper on
  • Options
    GnarkillGnarkill Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've only thrown something once. It was my computer chair and it put a nice big hole in the dry wall. Which is why I'll never do that again.

Gnarkill on
    My Flickr moran85
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    AGRHGAHRGHAGRHGAHGRHAGRHAGHRGAHJWgrwt74qr3976p59q8ywefiwuhGFUCKFUCKFUCKfuckfuckFUCKFukufkCUFjfckucfhkcfuysegfkufgyasdfskugydgkuy

Well, this is an intellectual rationalization so It might not help much next time you meltdown, but maybe it will help a little. The thing that I try to keep in mind when I am EPIC FAILING something, is that if whatever I'm doing is really difficult, then that means I'm learning the most. Your brain is working really hard to figure out strategies for success and rewiring itself to become better at what you're attempting.

Also, it so happens that doing a turnaround is prettymuch the best practice I can think of for getting a likeness of a character in multiple drawings, so you're already doing the right thing. It seems to me like the key is having a strong understanding for 3D space and being able to imagine how a specific thing (like a face) will look no matter how it's contorted or angled, which will give you your likeness. Drawing turnarounds and such helps with this.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well when you think about it there are only two real reasons why you might not be able to make a character look like itself again.

You either don't possess the dexterity necessary, or you don't understand what exactly makes the character look like itself.

I wouldn't say it is something I can do particularly well, but I am definitely developing a better understanding of what makes someone look the way they do everyday.

As far as not getting angry about being unable to do something, one thing that may help is trying to really step out of yourself for a moment and analyze what each of your attempts have in common, because chances are that's the problem. So just make a real effort to avoid doing that thing. I have had this happen a few times when trying to draw a face or a hand or a leg or something. I will draw it, then get frustrated and wipe it out. When I redraw it sometimes it looks exactly the same. So I wipe it out again. If it looks the same the third time I draw it I have to really sit and analyze what habit is forcing me to do that, because chances are it isn't a good one.

Basically when you run into a wall like that you are on the verge of a breakthrough in your own progression as an artist. Being frustrated by it is almost satisfying in its own way.

Remember, if it were easy everybody would be doing it. Those frustrations separate the men from the boys and make you into a real artist.

rts on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Basically when you run into a wall like that you are on the verge of a breakthrough in your own progression as an artist. Being frustrated by it is almost satisfying in its own way.

A couple of points from me on this:

1. When you notice your own mistakes, and take the time to figure out what makes them a mistake, it means you are improving. Knowing when something is wrong = halfway towards making it right.

There are countless artists who cannot self-critique their work in this way, so be thankful.

2. There's a saying that every artist has 100 shit pieces of work in them (or something like this), so if something comes out looking not quite as good as you'd hoped, know that you are getting your not-so-good work done and out of the way. Your better work lies ahead.

3. (This applies more to graphic design that straight up illustration/concepting work) -- Being a good designer means being a good problem solver. Rather than be frustrated with how something looks, take the time to approach it from a different angle, a fresh perspective, and solve the problem. Gaining experience in solving your own problems, will strengthen your ability to solve your clients' and will put you in good stead if you plan on earning money from your art.

Grenn on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    www.animationmentor.com it's an internet class where you get mentored in animation by people who currently work for big companies.

That is some very strong student portfolios, arguably some of the best i've ever seen. Not a lot of 2D animation though, that's my only complaint. I guess it's because that's all I really have any major interest in.

But yeah, that school is pretty snazzy. I might even try my hand at it after I graduate.

EDIT: Is that right? Full tuition under $18,000? Can someone confirm/correct this for me?

hey duder
    you can actually do the whole program in 2D if you want, and people have. The bottom line is, pixar doesn't give a shit what software you know, they have their own software that they spend 2 months training you on
    they have hired 2D animators for 3D features who have no experience in 3D. This school teaches the fundamentals of animation and that's it. it just happens to use 3D software so that it can provide people with pre-rigged industry standard characters to work with, so more of your time can be focused on the fundamentals, but if you request to do the full program in 2D you're allowed.

and yeah that's full tuition for the 18 month program, you get a certificate when it's all done as well.

the best part is the networking for sure
    my prof showed the people in his firm my work and i swooned a little
    i've been there for a month and my name's already getting out there because of it.
    also bobby beck messaged me and i swooned over that too.

i swoon a lot at this school

beavotron on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Veritas wrote: »
    If I were AoB for example, I would draw a humorous sketch with a raging ND and a pile of ash and bone outside her door :p

Nothing really gets me pissed off much, but there is nothing worse than someone that is trying to be nice but comes off being nosy if they keep persisting, people need to learn how to lay off sometimes.

Well, actually my first inclination is to pull a Jules Winnfield and tell her to just chill the fuck out.

Be cool!

It's gonna be okay.

Be like a little Fonzie over there. And what's Fonzie like? Cool, correcto-mundo.

But seriously you guys throw shit in little baby tantrums still, what the hell? I mean I'm still embarrassed from kicking a chair in anger back in 7th friggin' grade; it didn't make me feel better, it made me feel like a conspicuous idiot. Chill the fuck out!
    Growing up in a household where my parents made a habit of acting like spoiled children and throwing hissy-fits about fucking nothing has left me with a special sort of disdain for people going off like that, which just delays and distracts from solving the damn problem that's pissing you off so much.

Yeah, 10 straight years of constant fighting is a real awesome idea guys, way better than talking like civilized human beings. :x

EDIT: time for a dumb personality test of the day:
    http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

I got:

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

hey duder
    you can actually do the whole program in 2D if you want, and people have. The bottom line is, pixar doesn't give a shit what software you know, they have their own software that they spend 2 months training you on
    they have hired 2D animators for 3D features who have no experience in 3D. This school teaches the fundamentals of animation and that's it. it just happens to use 3D software so that it can provide people with pre-rigged industry standard characters to work with, so more of your time can be focused on the fundamentals, but if you request to do the full program in 2D you're allowed.

and yeah that's full tuition for the 18 month program, you get a certificate when it's all done as well.

i've been there for a month and my name's already getting out there because of it.

Yeah this sounds like something that I could really get into after I (hopefully) graduate MTM. Don't get me wrong, MTM is great and all, but a measily three years is not enough to fully grasp the concept of what animation truly is. 3D animation is something that is a very strong aspect to have right now, but i'm only interested in animation to do this one solo project on the side, and it has to be done in traditional animation.

I wonder if they have the option of teaching you in both, spread out evenly? I mean, if things go right I will be one of the lucky few students who are not in debt when they get out of school, and I wouldn't mind going in debt if it's under 18K. So yeah, some very strong stuff, and i'd be confident in saying that the animation there is stronger than the graduates' work at MTM.

Also i'd really like to gush about how gorgeous Toronto in general is, but I think it would just about collapse the thread. We're talking pages here of how and why this city is something out of an urban fantasy. You guys really don't know how good you have it up here.

EDIT: Also Beav you should check out this website called House of Cool:

http://www.houseofcoolstudios.com/

He's one of the former students at MTM, but he's known as one of the Great Four; students so talented and dedicated that the school still keeps their work pinned up to the walls in order to motivate everyone. His work seems to be the ideal standard that the school wants to churn out, even though his portfolio was way stronger than the average graduate.

EDIT 2: Also just in case you're interested, i've been having problems at MTM, so the school is by no means perfect. It's mainly been with the student body in my class. If you'd like to discuss it, shoot me a PM.

Godfather on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Huh

I never get really angry when I can't draw something right and erase a hole in my paper

I just get sort of mopey and play videogames and try to convince myself that it's okay to be not very good at what I constructed my college career around.

ND : You should just do what I do when it comes to making consistent characters: Bullshit on it and make them all excessively simple so there's no way they could be confused

Fugitive on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

hey duder

Yeah this sounds like something that I could really get into after I (hopefully) graduate MTM. Don't get me wrong, MTM is great and all, but a measily three years is not enough to fully grasp the concept of what animation truly is. 3D animation is something that is a very strong aspect to have right now, but i'm only interested in animation to do this one solo project on the side, and it has to be done in traditional animation.

I wonder if they have the option of teaching you in both, spread out evenly? I mean, if things go right I will be one of the lucky few students who are not in debt when they get out of school, and I wouldn't mind going in debt if it's under 18K. So yeah, some very strong stuff, and i'd be confident in saying that the animation there is stronger than the graduates' work at MTM.

Also i'd really like to gush about how gorgeous Toronto in general is, but I think it would just about collapse the thread. We're talking pages here of how and why this city is something out of an urban fantasy. You guys really don't know how good you have it up here.

EDIT: Also Beav you should check out this website called House of Cool:

http://www.houseofcoolstudios.com/

He's one of the former students at MTM, but he's known as one of the Great Four; students so talented and dedicated that the school still keeps their work pinned up to the walls in order to motivate everyone. His work seems to be the ideal standard that the school wants to churn out, even though his portfolio was way stronger than the average graduate.

EDIT 2: Also just in case you're interested, i've been having problems at MTM, so the school is by no means perfect. It's mainly been with the student body in my class. If you'd like to discuss it, shoot me a PM.

house of cool was just recently bought up by the company my prof works for now in toronto
    they are good friends of his, he showed us all their work before
    and then told me that he showed them my work and i blushed like fucking crazy

ugh don't let other students get you down
    message me on aim or something duder. (beavotron) or msn

edit: my prof works for these guys: http://www.redrover.net/

beavotron on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So what's art school like guys?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Beavo is too cool to answer my aim messages.

So I got a job interview at this place that makes life size models for museum exhibits/dioramas. They also do taxidermy.
    Totally not going to get the job.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just got back from a job interview at Disney Interactive. They seemed to like what I am capable of.

PROX on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    PROX wrote: »
    I just got back from a job interview at Disney Interactive. They seemed to like what I am capable of.

I hope you have better luck with the job search than I have!

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    PROX wrote: »

Go go prox! :D
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Beavo is too cool to answer my aim messages.

So I got a job interview at this place that makes life size models for museum exhibits/dioramas. They also do taxidermy.
    Totally not going to get the job.

hahaha...that would be pretty cool, but good luck anyway!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I think my schedule will conflict with theirs. Worth a shot though. Always good to burn bridges.

Gosh I get horrible anxiety before interviews...

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    I think my schedule will conflict with theirs. Worth a shot though. Always good to burn bridges.

Gosh I get horrible anxiety before interviews...

I always find a meal and a nap work great before things like that to reduce nervousness and whatnot. Good luck mate.

Shiboe on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    How do you nap when you're nervous though? I can barely sleep the night before an interview...

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Chloroform works best.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Isn't everybody just a little bit nervous before an interview? I mean, I've only technically had one "serious" interview in my life...and I can pretty much guarantee you I'm going to be nervous as hell once I actually sit down and have my portfolio looked over.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Right out of college, I got a call from a fancy-shmancy ad agency. I went with my crappy portfolio and went on and on about how much I loved advertising... the lady goes. "Advertising? It's for a tech support spot!" Second most embarrassing interview of my life.

The first most embarassing involves a plastic grocery bag that I brought with me that kept flapping in the AC.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Worst one I ever had was a panel of eight people for a tech role in a sterile office next to the airport, I was like "Fuck this, even if you prentious wankers offered me the job there's no fucking way id take it." Eight fucking people......fuck off.

Mustang on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Isn't everybody just a little bit nervous before an interview? I mean, I've only technically had one "serious" interview in my life...and I can pretty much guarantee you I'm going to be nervous as hell once I actually sit down and have my portfolio looked over.
    this was my 25th interview.

Calmness comes with experience. And its great for us entertainment types because usually the interviewers are pretty chill. Talk shop, and about what you are capable of.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I hand each interviewer a fifty dollar bill prior to the commencement of the interview and then I look them in the eye and say "If this goes well, there's plenty more where that came from...but if it goes poorly, well, I have friends, y'know?"

I find that this gives you the upper hand during the interview process.

Mustang on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    How do you nap when you're nervous though? I can barely sleep the night before an interview...

Well, my trick is, never getting a good nights sleep, thus always being willing and eager for a midday siesta. But that's not for everyone so... Maybe interview as early in the morning as possible, so you're fresh out of bed/shower, and of course, if you're a guy, there's always... flogging the trouser snake.

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Does anyone know of a comic book artist named Dave Ross?

I held a lengthy discussion with him sometime last week but can't seem to find any of his work.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Mustang on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    That's the man! Thanks so much!

He's a pretty nice dude.

Godfather on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Really, you couldn't find any info on David Ross?

You search "Dave Ross comic artist" and you get a little biography right there in the first link

He's no Alex Ross but he isn't exactly obscure

Fugitive on
This discussion has been closed.