Options

I'm being [Chat]woman for Halloween

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PROX wrote: »
    this was my 25th interview.

Calmness comes with experience. And its great for us entertainment types because usually the interviewers are pretty chill. Talk shop, and about what you are capable of.

Holy crap! That's alotta interviews!

And yeah, this industry seems pretty awesome as far as the "laid-back aspect". Screw you, suit-and-tie in a cubicle!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Screw you, suit-and-tie in a cubicle!

:(

Edit: If by the end of the year, I'm not out of this cubicle I'll be very depressed.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm always pretty calm at interviews
    I am initially kinda nervous, then I relax as soon as I get a feel for the person (takes about 2 minutes for that usually)
    I'm really comfortable in most social settings, probably because I am self confident to a fault.

I look at it this way. Even though it's a formal interview for a professional position, the person interviewing you is still a person, so you should talk to them as such, not like a robot. I'm always honest, I don't try to embellish any of my assets or work experience, because fact of the matter is, they can usually see right through that shit and if you get the job and have embellished a lot, they'll know right away, and you'll instantly start losing rapport with your superiors from the get go.

I'm usually really candid, not necessarily a good approach for some more rigid professional positions, but seemingly works well for video games/design companies which tend to be less "professional" than say a marketing firm.
    If you've made it to the interview as an artist, they like your work, now they're looking for what sort of person you are and whether you'll fit in with their team. Be upbeat, charismatic and open without being too over the top and you'll nail it :)

beavotron on
  • Options
    GnarkillGnarkill Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Edit: If by the end of the year, I'm not out of this cubicle I'll be very depressed.

Do what I did, say fuck this and go to sea! Now I get to travel the world for free :)

Of course that wouldn't be the best career move in terms of getting a job in the art industry. But it does make for lots of good material to paint/sketch/photograph.

Gnarkill on
    My Flickr moran85
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited October 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a comic book artist named Dave Ross?

I held a lengthy discussion with him sometime last week but can't seem to find any of his work.

He did a bunch of work on X-Calibur back in the day. He's not as huge a name as some of the guys like Jim Lee or Alex Ross but he's a well established comic artist. Recently he did some work on an independent book called Contract that a friend of mine put out. He did a few pages for the first over-sized issue. I met him once in Toronto. Really nice guy.

Grifter on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gnarkill wrote: »

Do what I did, say fuck this and go to sea! Now I get to travel the world for free :)

How did you do this?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited October 2008
    Gnarkill wrote: »

How did you do this?

Join the Navy

Or you can spend some time getting your sailing/boating credentials and then get hired onto a sea faring vessel.

The guy that I used to sail with continued his time on the water and is now a mate on a boat that's on its way to South Africa soon. I'm kind of envious since that's something that I'd have probably enjoyed doing but I opted to sit in air conditioning and play with computers all day instead.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I've actually considered joining the Peace Corp. after graduation, if I don't have a job. I reeeeally want to travel, and I also would love to volunteer around the world, so.......sounds like a perfect fit!

Too bad they don't have one-year programs, though. That would probably be ideal for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of travel, I think I have a warped view of Europe, in terms of size. I mean, with the United States, the country itself is pretty large, and it seems ridiculous to me that you could get from one side of a country to another in under 4 days of driving.

So, how big ARE the countries in Europe? Comparatively, I mean? I've seen maps and all but I'm unsure if they've got that map-skewing problem where Alaska looks like it's half the size of the US. (though most of Europe seems to be generally along the same latitudes as the US, so I guess the skewing wouldn't really matter, as it would be equal to whatever skewing was goin' on with the States.)

It's just that I know, generally, how long it would take to travel from one point to another here...I just seem to apply the same amount of time to countries that are undoubtedly "thinner" than the States.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've actually considered joining the Peace Corp. after graduation, if I don't have a job. I reeeeally want to travel, and I also would love to volunteer around the world, so.......sounds like a perfect fit!

Too bad they don't have one-year programs, though. That would probably be ideal for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of travel, I think I have a warped view of Europe, in terms of size. I mean, with the United States, the country itself is pretty large, and it seems ridiculous to me that you could get from one side of a country to another in under 4 days of driving.

So, how big ARE the countries in Europe? Comparatively, I mean? I've seen maps and all but I'm unsure if they've got that map-skewing problem where Alaska looks like it's half the size of the US. (though most of Europe seems to be generally along the same latitudes as the US, so I guess the skewing wouldn't really matter, as it would be equal to whatever skewing was goin' on with the States.)

It's just that I know, generally, how long it would take to travel from one point to another here...I just seem to apply the same amount of time to countries that are undoubtedly "thinner" than the States.

map distance is not really a good judge of how long it would take to drive through a place, there's lots to keep in mind when determining how long a drive would take, with europe, the alps is a big one, also the coastline is rather ragged.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Ah right, I don't know why I didn't consider topographical stuffs.

Still, though...I think I need like an overlay to really understand how large, exactly, countries are. I feel like a dummy (but hey! It's not like anybody ever teaches you this in American school, right??)...but lke, an overlay of Italy over the US would be something that would immediately convey to me exactly what size countries are.

I should just buy a globe!

I mean, it looks like (excluding Norway, Finland, Sweden) al of Europe could fit in the United States, roughly. See, in my head, each country in Europe is like half the size of the States. It's just a very weird concept to me, the US being huge, Canada being more huge, and then all the little countries in Europe.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Also, to drive/bus, at least in Poland, will take you pretty much twice as long to drive a certain distance as it would in North America.

For size, Poland is about 1/3 the size of Ontario.

bombardier on
  • Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Toaster, have you seen the french movie 99 francs? It's about advertising and is really good.

no_toast on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ah right, I don't know why I didn't consider topographical stuffs.

Still, though...I think I need like an overlay to really understand how large, exactly, countries are. I feel like a dummy (but hey! It's not like anybody ever teaches you this in American school, right??)...but lke, an overlay of Italy over the US would be something that would immediately convey to me exactly what size countries are.

I should just buy a globe!

I mean, it looks like (excluding Norway, Finland, Sweden) al of Europe could fit in the United States, roughly. See, in my head, each country in Europe is like half the size of the States. It's just a very weird concept to me, the US being huge, Canada being more huge, and then all the little countries in Europe.

You frequently see the reverse phenomenon with Europeans who comes to the US and have a much smaller conception of how big the North American landmass really is. I believe the saying goes something like Americans think 100 years is old, Europeans think 100 miles is far.

I don't have an overlay ready or anything but one factoid I've heard was that the distance between L.A. and New York is about the same as London to Moscow.

In terms of size of individual European countries, well, a medium sized European country about the same as medium sized State. Germany is 137,847 sq mi compared to Montana at 147,165 sq mi for example.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    At least in Finland we have to learn every capital in Europe and I think it's quite similar to Americans learning the States' names. Btw, I was so surprised how big Kazakhstan is. I think it's among the 10 biggest countries in the world. And what do people know about the country, Borat?!

no_toast on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Scosglen wrote: »
    You frequently see the reverse phenomenon with Europeans who comes to the US and have a much smaller conception of how big the North American landmass really is. I believe the saying goes something like Americans think 100 years is old, Europeans think 100 miles is far.

I don't have an overlay ready or anything but one factoid I've heard was that the distance between L.A. and New York is about the same as London to Moscow.

In terms of size of individual European countries, well, a medium sized European country about the same as medium sized State. Germany is 137,847 sq mi compared to Montana at 147,165 sq mi for example.

Holy CRAP! SO much new information for me here. My mind is in a turmoil! :P hahaha....wow, that's all very eye-opening, thank you.

Also....

I just got my absentee ballot in the mail!

I ARE VOTING FOR PREZEEDENT!!! XD Exciting!

I've heard that interest among the "younger generation" for this election is near a record high, as far as election years go. It really does seem to be true, though, being amongst my peers....a surprising amount of political interest.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Have you chaps heard of this "Obama" character?

Tam on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    We had exchange students from Switzerland stay with us back when I was in high school. My hometown is sort of in the middle between the Rockies and Edmonton with a 2 hour drive in either direction so we were all pretty used to making those trips on a regular basis. 2 hours in a car is an eternity to someone from Switzerland.

DMAC on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Koshian wrote: »
    is AC having secret satans this year?

Good question, I would like to be in it this year.

Tam on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Guys my contract is up in 2 weeks should I
    A) Immediately go job searching and work on my portfolio by sitting in my apartment going nuts.
    B) Take a little bit of time off and spend a little bit of money to take some classes ala carte at Academy of Art or wherever.
    C) Take a lot of time off and spend a lot of money to go to an atelier/online AnimationMentor type thing because the last few pages has made me jealous.

Right now I feel like I'm falling behind of where I need to be in terms of developing skill level, and I need to get it up now, lest I get trapped in this sort of low technical end/casual space region of video games forever. I really need to get more focused on getting one skill up to snuff rather than having a lot of skills at a "pretty good but not great" level like I've got right now. :?

EDIT: Have I asked this before? All of a sudden I'm getting deja vu.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just got my absentee ballot in the mail!

I ARE VOTING FOR PREZEEDENT!!! XD Exciting!

I've heard that interest among the "younger generation" for this election is near a record high, as far as election years go. It really does seem to be true, though, being amongst my peers....a surprising amount of political interest.
    Yeah me too. I decided that I'm not sure if I really need to vote for president. My state is blue either way...damn electoral colleges. I'll probably do it anyways.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm lol'ing at the cliched American preoccupation with size.

Don't worry about the size of the bloody continents, just get out there and travel!!! :P

Grenn on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm lol'ing at the cliched English preoccupation with the word 'bloody'.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Grenn wrote: »

Don't worry about the size of the bloody continents, just get out there and travel!!! :P

Your generalizations about Americans are about as fair as me saying that your attitude is to be expected from someone living in an adorable little island Kingdom. :rotate:

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    AMERICANS DRIVE LIKE THIS

BUT EUROPEANS DRIVE LIKE THIS

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Come to Australia if you want to see land mass, miles and miles and miles of sweet fuck all.

Mustang on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Scosglen wrote: »

Your generalizations about Americans are about as appropriate as me saying that your attitude is to be expected from someone living in an adorable little island Kingdom. :rotate:

I can't help my generalisations, I'm from a tiny, sheltered island and don't know any better! :lol:

(Just to make it clear, I was making a joke of the generally understood stereotype, not meaning to generalise myself - no offense meant!)

But the point of my throwaway attempt at humour stands, and that is merely to encourage people to travel and see other parts of the world. :)

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I refuse.

Geography sucks.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Worry? About their size?

Hah!

I plan on traveling my lady butt right off throughout my life. Fuck it. I'm going anywhere and everywhere, including (especially) the entire other side of the world. Cambodia/Thailand SO FUCKING COOL, Japants, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand........IndiaEgyptKenyaItalySpainFranceNetherlandsGreeceBrazilChileGhanaIreland etcetcetc......and Easter Island! And the Galapagos. Etc.

I was genuinely just curious, mostly for "how many countries could I fit into a single trip" as, obviously, travel time is a huge factor in this.

I think 1.5-2 weeks would be ideal for each trip I take (not sure I can take much more time than that (and afford more time and traveling), though HELL I would love to. If given a choice, I'd probably stay in each country for three weeks, give or take a few days, depending on sites to see). I'm not sure how much $$ I'll be making though (or how much time off I'll be able to take) but goddamn I fucking want to travel SOOOOOO BADLYYYYY

Guys my contract is up in 2 weeks should I
    A) Immediately go job searching and work on my portfolio by sitting in my apartment going nuts.
    B) Take a little bit of time off and spend a little bit of money to take some classes ala carte at Academy of Art or wherever.
    C) Take a lot of time off and spend a lot of money to go to an atelier/online AnimationMentor type thing because the last few pages has made me jealous.

Option B! Option B!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Me and my other half are planning on doing cambodia and vietnam for our honymoon.....I can do without the wedding BS, but awesome honeymoons are awesome.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I've been a double-posting asshole lately, huh?

ANYWHO!

I've got a general JOB-question: cost of living is higher in, say, California than it is in, say, Georgia. If you were working for a company in Georgia, and they wanted to transfer you to one of their studios in California, doing the exact same work, would it be taboo to ask for a pay raise, because living costs are much higher? Or do you just have to struggle through?

Also

Salary negotiations: I'm assuming you just take what you get offered for internships. I'm pretty sure if I'm even offered a non-paying internship (with no other internship offers), I'll fucking take it, whether or not I can negotiate some payment. But is it a HORRIBLE idea to negotiate (even for $5 and hour) for internships? I know once you're an established professional, salary negotiation is just something you do...but for the uber-n00b, how humble is too humble? Or is there no limit?

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    AMERICANS DRIVE LIKE THIS

BUT FRENCH/ITALIAN PEOPLE DRIVE LIKE THIS

Corrected.

no_toast on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I think it depends on how replaceable you are. I reckon it's sh*t on a stick how a company thinks they can just up and move you like that though. "Hey guess what, I've had a great business idea, I'm going to uproot you from your friends and family on a whim and there isn't a god damn thing you can do about it.....pretty good idea eh?" Err.....I guess........yeah fuck it, i'd ask for more money, after all who the fuck do they think they are?![/i]

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    Me and my other half are planning on doing cambodia and vietnam for our honymoon.....I can do without the wedding BS, but awesome honeymoons are awesome.

Holy crap. I hope you're both going to check out the ruins. THE FUCKING RUINS. Oh my god. They are so cool.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOO

EEEEEEEEEEEEEET

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Ankor Wat is the main reason I want to go.....that and also cause I get to say "Ahhm going to da 'Nam."

Mustang on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Koshian wrote: »
    is AC having secret satans this year?

Sure is, skip.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    Ankor Wat is the main reason I want to go.....that and also cause I get to say "Ahhm going to da 'Nam."

Fuck yes Angkor Wat.

Also check out Ta Phrom (it's one of the temples in the "temple complex" at Angkor Wat):

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Ta%20Phrom&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

I learned about Angkor Wat after Ta Phrom, and they're amazingly cool-looking. We actually studied Angkor Wat in one of my classes recently! I want to go even more now. :P

NightDragon on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anger what?

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    @ND
    First question: No, it wouldn't be taboo. Cost of living (not to mention the cost/agony of moving) are significant factors that should effect salary and it would be a bad idea to ignore that factor, on both the employee and employer's account.

Second question: you might be able to negotiate something, but it really depends on the policy of the employer and how much they like you over other candidates. If you go to Pixar to get an internship and ask I'm sure they'd probably politely toss you on your ear since they've got the whole world knocking on their door, but if it's some smaller company they might be more flexible, if you demonstrate to them definitively that you're worth paying (at which point they should just hire you for a real job if they like you so much).

Also, there might be legal issues surrounding the amount an intern can/can not be paid as well (I'm not an expert on the subject), which an employer may or may not feel like going through the policy red tape to convert the position from unpaid to paid status.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey, how is everyone's symbology? I'm being peer pressured into getting a tattoo when I go to South Africa, so I'm trying to find something understated to permanently scar my body with. I'm looking for symbols of healing (preferably of the emotional kind, but I'm flexible), but Google keeps giving me a bunch of Reiki bullshit.

Nineteen Hundred on
    There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Shave your head and get a pair of angry eyes tattooed on the back of it.

That shit'd never get old.

Angel_of_Bacon on
This discussion has been closed.