As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comic-y Thing - New Characters, Page 6.

124»

• Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hmm, alright; legs bad. What would help? Perhaps if I lowered the crotch a little, then shortened and thinned out the legs? I liked the old centaur look as well, but the problem is that Ab's itty-bitty legs just don't show up very well ... Maybe I could half-centaur him? Giving him longer, more defined front legs while still keeping a back-up pair (a bit like the Stranger from the latest Oddworld game).

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Okay, fiddled around with Ab a bit more. Tried to find a compromise between the emote-ability of bipedal legs and the novelty of tiny centuar legs.

AbLegs1.jpgAbLegs2.jpgAbLegs3.jpg

Also, got the new page of the comic done. I have now redone this single page FOUR TIMES. To reflect on how far I've come, I've also included the very first rendition of this page, made in Hammer, shot in the Source engine, and with characters drawn on afterwords.

New:
    New-Page-7.png
    Oh-god-why Old:
    Page1-Right-Sized.png

DE?AD on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Honestly, his tiny centaur legs were the best for me. Made him look like a single hulking mass, whereas those look like giant noodles dangling from his underside.

The bipedal thing I don't have an issue with, because that plot point where Ab tears his legs off is too fucking cool to complain about. But you'd probably be better off keeping his centaur version as-is.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    All right then, it looks like iddy-biddy legs stay, though I do think I'll be adding a little more definition to them.
    Rust wrote:
    The bipedal thing I don't have an issue with, because that plot point where Ab tears his legs off is too fucking cool to complain about.

Heh, thanks. The whole scene is meant to be a bizarre play on the action movie standard in which the female lead needs to rip her dress in order to run away.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I actually kind of like the older pages where they're all see through.

But both look really nice.

I definately like Ab's original legs - the tiny centaur ones. They make his body look way stronger and provide good contrast.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yea, im with Rust on the leg isssue

but the new page...is awesome. :D

DeeLock on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hmm, I kind of like those long bipedal ones, maybe if they were shorter. Either way doesn't matter as much to me. Oh, and that old version actually looks really awesome. I'm not entirely sure why you changed. The characters are more expressive, it's easier to tell what's what, the backgrounds are sharper, and the see-through is really cool looking. Also, the sword looks more like a sword. In the 3d stuff the expressions are really lost.

One thing is (and this is hard to explain) is the purple guy in the old one, his fingers went to the edge of his hand and made a cool hand-looking thing. With the 3d stuff, the fingers look more like immovable little knobs that couldn't do much. Also, the contrast is really high, with really dark shadows, and bright everything else.

I don't mean to be a downer on your positivity. Maybe if there was a way to mix some of those better elements of the old one with the new one. That's just what I've thought of so far. Also, sorry if I'm not making a lot of sense.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I very much like the new page. And don't care which leg set you use, I think they both look fine.

I'm glad you put more detail into everything though, that makes it look really good, in comparison to the originals.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Ugh, well, it looks like there won't be any updates to this thread for at least a week or so: my computer decided to die on me. Luckily, the hard drive seems to be fine so none of the models were lost.

I actually kind of like the older pages where they're all see through.
    srsizzy wrote:
    ...and the see-through is really cool looking

Orignally I dropped this because of how Blender handles transparent objects. Now that I do the characters on their own layers and put them together in Illustrator, however, I may be able to add this effect back in fairly easily. I'll look into it once my computer's back up.
    srsizzy wrote:
    Oh, and that old version actually looks really awesome. I'm not entirely sure why you changed. The characters are more expressive, it's easier to tell what's what, the backgrounds are sharper, and the see-through is really cool looking. Also, the sword looks more like a sword. In the 3d stuff the expressions are really lost.

One thing is (and this is hard to explain) is the purple guy in the old one, his fingers went to the edge of his hand and made a cool hand-looking thing. With the 3d stuff, the fingers look more like immovable little knobs that couldn't do much. Also, the contrast is really high, with really dark shadows, and bright everything else.

Well, I changed for a few reasons: The first is that I didn't want to deal with the legalities of using the Source engine for the backgrounds.
    My reason for doing the characters in 3D is much simpler - I have absolutely no ability to draw perspective. Seriously, it's just sad.

As for the expressions being lost in the 3D version... I'm not sure what I can do about that, partially because I don't really see it. Maybe if I added those little eyebrow lines to the models?

The contrast is out of wack in Saln's barterpost, but that's largely because I messed up the lighting - the store is meant to be a lot darker than it is. I'll have to go back and re-render the whole scene to fix it.
    srsizzy wrote:
    I don't mean to be a downer on your positivity. Maybe if there was a way to mix some of those better elements of the old one with the new one. That's just what I've thought of so far.

No problem, I come here for actual opinions, not ego-strokes. I'm going to see what I can do. Or, at least, I'll see what I can do once my computer is fixed.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Well, after a long period of absence, I'm back with some news and an update. During my prolonged hiatus, I've been working on better understanding textures, lighting, etc. I'm now going back and redoing the first seven pages with my newly gained knowledge.

Here's the redone first page, same script, different art:
    1-1.png

Thoughts? Is it an improvement? Is it worse than before?

In other news, the website is up. You may now find the comic by clicking on the little www icon below my post.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    EdmanEdman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Glad to see your stuff finally up on a site! I look forward to perusing it. :D

Edman on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ah, soft shadows at last :) Glad to see your skills develop.

Keep us informed and good luck!

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Thanks.

The soft shadows are actually due to me trying to speed up render times: Before hand I'd been using Ambient Occlusion to handle light bounce and such, but it took far, far too long. So I spent a day fiddling around until I found a simple, quick solution: Hemi lights. Now I'll usually put a Hemi light in the scene and set it to 0.75 to .075 energy to get a reasonable-looking refraction effect.

Also, I did try brining back the semi-transparency in the old comics, but I decided against it because it made the page way to busy looking. The effect just wasn't worth the confusion it caused.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    While my computer was broken, I did a little "Doodling" on the surrogate machine, and I got an idea for a sort of prequel/creation myth story for the RedMask comic. I whipped up some character designs for the thing, and heres what I came up with:

Nebsis: Heroine. Shaman's daughter, tribal girl, horribly untalented mage.
    Nebsis.jpg

Arrick: Toughened, street-smart companion and bodyguard. Ex-soldier, currently unemployed, very good at what he does.
    Arrick.jpg

Neur: Main Villain. Evil, conniving bastard with a rather disturbing interpretation of "unity." Taught by Nebsis' father, former doctor, talented mage.
    Neur.jpg

I'm trying to get a sort-of strange, dream-like quality out of the lighting/shading, as the story is set a very long time ago in the RedMask universe. I.E. before the four elements existed, just after the creation of reality.

Oh, also, that's clothing on them, if that's not clear. Nebsis is nearly naked, Neur is covered in a white robe-y thing.

Thoughts?

DE?AD on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Those new models are great. They look much more refined than your earlier characters.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Thanks. I actually learned quite a bit during by forced hiatus. Plus, it helps that I wasn't trying for "amorphous blob" this time.
    The handiest bit about those new models is that they are, in fact, all the exact same mesh - I discovered Key Frames. So now I have a base model with, essentially, a small character creator built right in, saving me a good deal of time.

DE?AD on