As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old thread. Lock me!

freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jonesand his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
The old thread hit 100 pages. Continue here~!

Fallout 3 is now on Steam! This also means everybody can get the manual for absolutely free. It's pretty neat, I'd advise checking it out to plan out your first character.

The Fallout Thread!

What is a Fallout, you ask? Only the best turn-based post-apocalyptic RPG released in the 1990s!

Fallout 1 follows the exploits of the Vault Dweller as he journeys through the wastes in search of a water chip for his Vault. Without it, everyone in the Vault will surely die. On the way, he encounters radscorpions, deathclaws, gigantic rats, hideously mutated mutants, ghouls, super mutants and, arguably the most horrible of all, the dreaded Iguana on a Stick. Hint: It's not made out of Iguana.

Fallout 2 begins 80 years after the end of the original Fallout, and a direct descendant of the original Vault Dweller heads out into the wastes to save his village once again.

"But how do I get this wonderful game?" you ask.

Fallout is now on GameTap. First month is 99 cents, though you can't mod it. It's probably patched up to 1.1 (I haven't checked) but you're going to be missing some great mods and bug fixes. Fallout 2 has also been released, and Fallout Tactics is listed as "Coming Soon."

Also, Good Old Games is in beta right now, and gives you full access to the original Fallout 1&2 game files. GOG is now OPEN to EVERYBODY! GO GET FALLOUT!

You might be able to get it through Goozex, though you'd have to either start trading for realz or pump some money into the system and hope you pick up a decent copy. If you already have a goozex account, you know how it works, and if you don't you probably won't bother. It's an option, though.

Help! My Fallouts are Broken!

Even though a lot of us might not like the NMA guys, they know their Fallout mods and their patches fix bugs and things that should have been in the game in the first place.

To get your copy of Fallout 1 up to date, install these files in this order. Mixing them up might hurt your game.
  1. Fallout Children Patch (for GOG users / 1.2 European version)
  2. Fallout 1.2 Patch (optional if you have GOG, I think)
  3. Fallout 1.3.4 Patch
  4. Fallout Resolution Patch
  5. Fallout companion patch
  6. Fallout engine tweaks

Note that some people have reported problems getting the engine tweaks and resolution mods working correctly. Disabling one or both of these may increase performance and/or resolve issues. Installing the children patch may alleviate the issues with the engine tweaks mod. Also, renaming the old DirectDraw.dll (to DirectDraw.bak or something) after installing the high res mod can reduce chugging.

Here's all of the mods in a single, easy pack: Fallout Patches Download

Fallout 2 list:
  1. Children Patch (1.2/GOG versions)
  2. Unofficial Patch w/Installer
  3. Resolution Patch
  4. Fallout 2 Restoration Project (with installer)

There are a couple of intricacies to Fallout's interface that might not be immediately obvious.

First, you can right-click on your "weapon" button to change modes. The one with a little target on it means you are now in "called shot" mode. You can aim for specific body parts, and if you knock them hard enough it'll cripple the enemy. Aim for the eyes, and their PE goes down as well as their chance of hitting you. The arms, they'll drop their weapons. Legs, they can't move as fast (like, one or two tiles per turn). If you make a critical shot to the groin, they'll fall over and lie prone for a turn, giving you a 95% hit chance on the entire body (except maybe eyes, depending on your skill). If you nail them in the head, human enemies will get knocked unconscious, but creatures (such as radscorpions) just get mad. Burst mode, available on some weapon models, means you fire a bunch of ammo at once. Use it at close range and it will decimate enemies. Longer range means more bullets will miss and it's not as effective. Also, your NPCs can and will do this while you're close and kill you or your friends, so be wary of giving NPCs SMGs. Third mode is reload, pretty self-explanatory.

The buttons that control turn-based combat are on the right side of the interface. "Turn" ends your turn, and "CMBT" ends combat. Pretty simple, right? You can speed this up by using hotkeys, spacebar for Turn and Enter for combat.

There are a couple of different cursor modes you can cycle through by right-clicking. The red hexagon moves your character to that location. In combat, the number inside the red shape is how many AP you spend moving there. The crosshair is to attack enemies, and the number is your hit chance %. The arrow lets you interact with things and people, and if you click on something and hold the button and then move your mouse, you get additional options. The Pip-Boy icon lets you use skills, like Steal or Repair. The bag lets you use an inventory item on or with the selected item. I think there's an eye icon to examine the person or thing. There might be one or two more that are self-explanatory. In Fallout 2, there's a hand icon when you're next to an NPC to push them out of the way. Additionally, if you get stuck by a non-moving member of your party in Fallout 1, try talking to them about changing tactics and then change the follow distance to close and move around a little.

After you get an NPC, you're going to want to manage their inventory, changing weapons and giving them ammo. This is easy in Fallout 2, but not in Fallout 1. To put stuff in, just barter with them, but to take stuff out you have to steal it. Don't worry about your steal skill, they won't catch you no matter how bad you are at it and there's no other way to get equipment out. You can also plant stuff on them from this screen, but it's not as good as barter because I don't think they take weight into consideration when you barter things to them. Some of these problems might be addressed by the Fallout companion mod, but I haven't used it so I can't comment.

There are two little red buttons on your interface. One of them opens the Skilldex, where you can use your various skills like sneak, first aid, doctor, etc., and the other one is less obvious. This switches between your active hands. There are two places in your inventory where you can equip items, your left and your right hand. Put a weapon in one and a tool or something harmless in the other, and when someone asks you to holster your weapon (in town, for example), just hit that little red button and nobody's angry anymore. What's useful about this feature is that you can use it in battle without using AP, so if you want to use a sniper rifle for long range and a shotgun for close range, just put them in different hands and switch back and forth as needed.

Every action in battle per turn takes a certain number of Action Points (referenced above). Moving, firing, accessing your inventory, only so much can be done per turn, and this is determined by your AP. Certain perks and traits can change the amount used, but the number you start with is determined by your AGI. The number of action points remaining in your turn is denoted by the green lights above your weapon button. Ten lights, ten AP left. Note that it is possible to go over 10 AP, the lights just won't decrease until you're under 10.

If you find yourself stuck somewhere and everything is closed, it's dark and you just need time to pass, hit Z. It'll bring up your alarm clock and you can rest for however long you want.

That's all I can think of. If anybody has any more questions I'll answer them and put them in here for future reference. Hope it helps.

Fallout 3 info provided by SkutSkut.
SkutSkut wrote: »
What's a Fallout you say? Well it's only the rootinist tootinist gosh darn greatest RPG series ever made.

What would happen if the cold war turned hot, and the future of the 50s were what really happened? That's fallout, just add a ton of dark humor and sex.

The first fallout, as wiki tells us, is a computer role-playing game produced by Tim Cain, developed by Black Isle Studios (though before the studio was named "Black Isle") and published by Interplay in 1997.

It follows the story of a guy named Ephram, Ephram weren't his real name of course, his real name was Jim. Real name was Jim, but we called him Ephram, isn't that crazy? Ol' Ephram was pretty stupid, so we got tired of his ass bumblin about, and sent him to fix our water since that's about all he was good fer. So we send ol' Ephram out into the waste to get a water chip to fix our perpetual water machine. That crazy ol' Ephram wondered the waste fer dern near 2 years 'fore he ever did fin'it.

Not a'fir he done went and got all kinds of strange outside diseases, includin crabs, radiation poisonin, stupiditis and a mean sunburn. Well we thank'd 'im and kicked his ol arse out cause frankly we were tired of his stupid and his smell.

Now he wondered about and somehow started his own village. This starts fallout 2 a couple of generations into the village. Wiki tells us- Fallout 2 is a critically-acclaimed computer role-playing game published by Interplay in 1998. The second game takes place in 2241, 80 years after the first Fallout.

So we got his ancestors, and they're tired o bein all smelly n dirty in the waste. The pick a direct descendant of ole Ephram fer journeyin out fer a GECK, which is a fancy lunch box with the power t'make cities or some such nonsense. This guy's name's Pooter, cause like ole Ephram he's about as dumb an' all he does is poot. Stupidity can only be tolerated fer so long it seems, since ole Pooter was sent on this journey a'fer takin some silly ass test is a dirty ole temple.

Ole Pooter weren't too smart, so he bumbled about the waste lookin around fer this GECK thing, and met a buncha people an people like thangs a'fore even knowin where he was goin. Eventually he fins the ol' vault but a buncha nasty critters is livin in it. He eventually gets em to hand over the GECK.

Now, afore he could get back to his tribe, he done ran into trouble. This ole soldiers livin on an oil rig done stole his tribe. Now, ol' Pooter weren't too smart, but he didn't take too kindly to his kin folk bein stolen, so he managed to get out there and cause all kinds of trouble afore rescuein his tribe.

Now, Fallout 3 NOTHING to do with this as it's set in the future! On the other side of the US no less!

Once again our pal Wiki tells us- Fallout 3 is an action role-playing game, currently under development by Bethesda Softworks. It will be the third major game in the Fallout series, which has also spawned the spin-offs Fallout Tactics and Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. It will take place in the year 2277, 36 years after the setting of Fallout 2.

Shock! Story on the main page!

"Vault 101 – Jewel of the Wastes. For 200 years, Vault 101 has faithfully served the surviving residents of Washington DC and its environs, now known as the Capital Wasteland. Though the global atomic war of 2077 left the US all but destroyed, the residents of Vault 101 enjoy a life free from the constant stress of the outside world. Giant Insects, Raiders, Slavers, and yes, even Super Mutants are all no match for superior Vault-Tec engineering. Yet one fateful morning, you awake to find that your father has defied the Overseer and left the comfort and security afforded by Vault 101 for reasons unknown. Leaving the only home you’ve ever known, you emerge from the Vault into the harsh Wasteland sun to search for your father, and the truth."

Fallout 3 is currently coming out on 360, PS3, PC on Tuesday, October 28th.

So, any bitchin collectors stuff coming? You bet!

The S.P.E.C.I.A.L. edition comes with the following, though the bobble head has been changed, and also pre-orders from Gamestop include a soundtrack disc and cover art poster, which will be shown below as well.

Also, if you don't want to throw your money at gamestop, walmart.com has the SE and normal edition listed.

New bobblehead modle, less likely to break is the reasoning for changing it.
bobblehead.gif
fallout3ce2.jpg

The poster, sans 360 tag of course
fallout3xbox3601.jpg

Tiny pic of the disc, looks like a vinyl record
506273_bonus.jpg

So what's this bad boy look like?

why this, this is what it looks like.

fallout-3-2.jpg

Some other SSes

Mutant Shootin
C is for Charisma
Conceptual Imagery
Dirty ole ruins
A Ghoulish encounter
latest scan

How much is all this gonna cost?

The PC version will be $49.99 the PC while the 360 and PS3 version will be $59.99 and the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. edition will be an extra $20, but wait, Amazon.com has another edition that comes with a big ole clock lookin like a pip boy. Which you can find here though I do need a new clock I don't think it's worth it.

So, waiting til Fall until it's out, I might even buy it twice if I have a comp to run it as I've pre-ordered the 360 CE.

And thanks to figgy, the site link for the official site

here

E3 Goodies-

New Trailer!

Combat demonstration!
Man we need to put this in the OP or something. Level scaling, from what they have said works like this:

Zone A is lvl 5-8. Meaning if you go there at lvl 3, everything will be lvl 5. You go there at lvl 6, everything will be lvl 6. Go there at lvl 10, everything will be lvl 8.

Zone B might be lvl 10-13 and Zone C might be 14-17, etc, etc.

G4 thinger!

Yay!

Interviews!

Inventory demonstration and more!

Official Trailer!

Link to the PA Fallout 3 comics!

Link!

freakish light on

• StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    From the previous thread:
    If I order both this and littlebigplanet from EBworld, would it save me money on shipping?

I preordered Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3 from Gamestop at the same time and if I didn't choose in-store pickup for FC2, it would have been two separate shipping charges. I'd bet EB is the same.

Stasis on
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I really hope that this is morrowind with guns

Randall_Flagg on
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    wait! no

Daggerfall with guns

Randall_Flagg on
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MAN EVERYONE KNOWS THIS GAME IS JUST GOING TO BE MARIO GALAXY SET IN A POST-NUCLEAR AMERICA

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Question: Bethesda said they want the DLC to be like the Knights of the Nine for Oblivion. Having not played Oblivion how does this work in terms of when you can access it? Do you have to start a new game or can you install it and then go from any of your saves? Or is it a seperate game?

I've spent the majority of my vacation glued to my wife's laptop obsessing over F3 news and peeking at streams. This has got to be the worst wait for a game I've ever experienced. I'm going to be totally useless once I get back to work just thinking about this game and then once it comes out I will be useless at work just wanting to go back home to play it.

Even if this wasn't a Fallout game I think it's awesome. It's getting me excited for an open-ended RPG and FPS, two genres I generally avoid.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    InitialDK wrote: »
    Question: Bethesda said they want the DLC to be like the Knights of the Nine for Oblivion. Having not played Oblivion how does this work in terms of when you can access it? Do you have to start a new game or can you install it and then go from any of your saves? Or is it a seperate game?

It all could work in your current saved game after you enable it. Whatever the DLC is will appear somewhere in the current world map.

I imagine it will be similar in FO3.

Clevinger on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    IIRC, The vast majority of obliv mods were just plugins that you could load into an existing save [ altho removing them from an existing save is another matter ]

Since they are using an amped up Oblivion engine i suspect the same plug and play functionality will be in F3

Buttcleft on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Knights of the Nine was, if I remember correctly as it's been a while since I played it, simply just an extra large questline. There was a preacher spouting the end of days in one of the towns and you talk to him to start the questline. Once the add-on was added on, you got a little pop-up when you started a game, one pop-up per character that was documented in your quest log.

I imagine that's what they're trying to do, given the nature of oblivion and your ability to go where you want when you want kind of deal, you could start the KotN questline at level 1 or level 12 or level 100. Doesn't matter.

Mustachio Jones on
  • arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    If this were Daggerfall with guns that would be awesome.

Wait no......Zork with guns.

Fuck it dude.

Pong with guns

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I can guarantee that on my first playthrough through the game, if I can't find an equal cowboy hat, the sheriff of Megaton is getting fragged and looted.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited October 2008
    I hope you can do an everyone dies play through after the main plot is over but im' not sure

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »

Fuck it dude.

Pong with guns

Doom with guns.

wait...

Mei Hikari on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I hope you can do an everyone dies play through after the main plot is over but im' not sure

Why wait until the plot is over? Omnicidal Manic play through, here I come!

LockeCole on
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am so very excited for this game, I mean it's what finally broke me into buying an Xbox. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get much schoolwork done when this does release since I'm sure I'll play it non-stop.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
    edited October 2008
    LockeCole wrote: »

because in the videos ive' seen ive' spotted 3 "such and such NPC has fainted" prompts already

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    whenever i get around to this game im going to go for a monosyllabic beast who grunts at everyone he comes across and then beats them to death with whatever blunt object happens to be on hand. thats how we get down.

Ah_Pook on
    edited October 2008
    LockeCole wrote: »

Do their quest trees for the lewts, then murder them and feast upon their glistening entrails.

Buttcleft on
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Like Fallout 1, the game ends when the plot's over. Though I guess you can try near the end.

Clevinger on
  • PoxPox Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Clevinger wrote: »

Like Fallout 1, the game ends when the plot's over. Though I guess you can try near the end.

Bullshit. Where did you find this? You could keep playing in Fallout 2 and you could keep playing in Oblivion.

Pox on
    sig.gif
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Fuck it dude.

Pong with guns

I'm imagining something where you have your vault door behind you, a super sledge in your hands and endless streams of poor radiation victims trying to escape the hell that is the wasteland.

Man. Now I kind of want to play that.

HappylilElf on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    daggerfall with guns? holy shit awesome.

Deaderinred on
    edited October 2008
    But then all I would do is join the Brotherhood and spend eternity doing nothing but broken quests until I could modify weapons.

I'm in.

HappylilElf on
    edited October 2008
    Pox wrote: »
    Clevinger wrote: »

Bullshit. Where did you find this? You could keep playing in Fallout 2 and you could keep playing in Oblivion.

Heh, I remember doing that only for the fallout 2 hint book. That thing would have been useful at the beginning of the god damned game

Buttcleft on
    edited October 2008
    Ok heres something that suddenly has been bugging me. Next to the AP bar there is this little meter thing labeled "CND". Does anyone know what this is for?

manaleak34 on
    edited October 2008
    I think maybe the condition of your current weapon?

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I Still play Morrowind. I have a shack full of nothing but super-expensive unique magical artifacts.

glithert on
    edited October 2008
    Yeah I think your right on weapon condition. Same stuff shows up on Pipboy also.

manaleak34 on
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    glithert wrote: »

I Still play Morrowind. I have a shack full of nothing but super-expensive unique magical artifacts.

I had one for a while, until I completely ruined my favorite building in the game. Had so many fancy weapons accumulated in the split-level shop next door to the Balmora pawnbroker that an Overflow Loot Bag spawned in an unsightly location and everything I dropped in that building automatically went in the bag instead of where I put it:( Eventually I made the mistake of picking up the 1000 pound hammer I stole from the museum, and when I realized I couldn't put it back down, I uninstalled the game and didn't play for about six months.

I REALLY hope they have Morrowind's system for putting objects down, or a better way of moving them around. Once you bump into your carefully arranged shelf full of knives in Oblivion, you might as well just give up.

Hevach on
    edited October 2008
    Yeah. I'm still pissed I lost my Redoran Outpost thingy in Morrowind when I upgraded to my new PC.

I had enough high end armor and weapons to start my own revolution and over 100 (114 iirc) Golden Saints (114 iirc) not to mention enough septims to actually put them all to use.

If only I could have outfitted my soldiers.

HappylilElf on
  • Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have a question. When you die, will it still have the Screen of your Corpse, and have Ron Pearlman in the background telling you that "you have died...." then explain what happens to your quest? or will that be missing.

Masked_Mullet on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    He does? I always click past the You Are Dead screen, trying to reload my game.

freakish light on
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i am so torn

I can get the Xbox version and love it to hell, most likely have no problems with graphics and shit, even get the best visuals possible on the game. But no mods!

I know my little Macbook Pro's Windows install can run this, but how well? And MODS!

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    He does? I always click past the You Are Dead screen, trying to reload my game.

Yeah, there was different endings each time. For fallout one he would usually explain that after your death they would send out more chosen ones...until the vault eventually died. or something like that.

Masked_Mullet on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    i am so torn

I can get the Xbox version and love it to hell, most likely have no problems with graphics and shit, even get the best visuals possible on the game. But no mods!

I know my little Macbook Pro's Windows install can run this, but how well? And MODS!
    The thing is the pc/mac version will still be good later when you eventually get a better computer so its always a win win to get it over the 360 one.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    But arcanum already had guns...and is twice the game oblivion could ever be, bugs and all

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Pretty much Fallout set on the East Coast to the tune of Oblivion with guns.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Actually, forget about Fallout 3 they should make Arcanum 2 instead.

vhzod on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    But arcanum already had guns...and is twice the game oblivion could ever be, bugs and all

Next you're going to say Fallout had guns. And Doom. And Quake.

How many lies must you spread to further your old-games-had-guns agenda?

freakish light on
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Spoit wrote: »

Next you're going to say Fallout had guns. And Doom. And Quake.

How many lies must you spread to further your old-games-had-guns agenda?

Pong had guns.

Hevach on
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can't wait!

Crayon on