As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old thread. Lock me!

• ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GameStop called me and said they were doing a midnight release.

Sadly, I don't think I'll be taking them up on that.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    TetraNitroCubane,

I agree with you. We've already had this holy war though. Fact of the matter is, some people simply don't care what trash gets installed on their machines.

Can anyone confirm that the Steam version is lacking the DRM, or is Bethesda making Valve stick it in there like EA does, despite the Steam activation already being in place?

It kind of irks me, because if I buy the console version, all I am saying to PC manufacturers is "Don't make PC games, they don't sell"...but if I buy the PC version, I am supporting these draconian DRM schemes that basically treat paying customers like criminals.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    It's a "fluid-running" SecureROM that just checks the disk. It runs live off the CD/DVD it doesn't install anything on your hard-disk.

Doesn't really apply to me though - I pre-ordered from Steam.

What, really? I've never heard of this before. What other games have used this?

It's kind of a downer for me, since my drives are noisy as hell. Can you really not install it?

The game will install to your HD, I think they're saying that SecuROM won't if I'm understanding it right.

The CD-Check only ever really happens at the start when you're loading the game, so it shouldn't be an issue once the game's started. Ignoring that, I say ten-to-one there's a no-CD crack within two weeks of release, probably a lot sooner. I doubt you'd have to put up with noisy CD-Drives for long. :)

Oh, er, durh. Of course. How silly of me :(

Doesn't sounds like it's anything to be in an uproar about.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    TetraNitroCubane,

I agree with you. We've already had this holy war though. Fact of the matter is, some people simply don't care what trash gets installed on their machines.

It's cool man, I'm cool. It gets me riled up, but I just had to work it out of my system, that's all.

Because we all know, DRM will be the last thing on all our minds once we crack open that first bottle of Nuka-Cola.
    It's a "fluid-running" SecureROM that just checks the disk. It runs live off the CD/DVD it doesn't install anything on your hard-disk.

It's kind of a downer for me, since my drives are noisy as hell. Can you really not install it?

The game will install to your HD, I think they're saying that SecuROM won't if I'm understanding it right.

The CD-Check only ever really happens at the start when you're loading the game, so it shouldn't be an issue once the game's started. Ignoring that, I say ten-to-one there's a no-CD crack within two weeks of release, probably a lot sooner. I doubt you'd have to put up with noisy CD-Drives for long. :)

Yeah, wow. If this is the way SecuROM is going to work, I have been sorely misinformed about the way it operates. That doesn't sound like anything beyond the disk-checking protections of yesteryear.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Whoa great looks like I am cracking this one too

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    TetraNitroCubane,

It's cool man, I'm cool. It gets me riled up, but I just had to work it out of my system, that's all.

Because we all know, DRM will be the last thing on all our minds once we crack open that first bottle of Nuka-Cola.

Yeah, wow. If this is the way SecuROM is going to work, I have been sorely misinformed about the way it operates. That doesn't sound like anything beyond the disk-checking protections of yesteryear.

Except now it will be a lot harder to trick it. I say - 2 days.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    edited October 2008

That's NOT the way SecurROM usually works, and that's why I am still not convinced Bethesda isn't feeding us a line of BS. If it was a simple CD check, why do you need SecurROM at all? It's obviously more than a simple CD check, as that post implies. It still did the SecurROM checks for programs it has blacklisted, as the guys post clearly shows it failing to install because he had Daemon Tools running.

Now, I run Daemon Tools, for very legitimate reasons (I keep many of my MSDN DVD's like Visual Studio as ISO's on a portal HDD, because it's easier than carrying around my big CD wallet), but FO3 won't install if I have it running. Oh sure, I can just exit it for a second, install FO3 and move on with my life...but is it going to check every time I run the game? That would be obnoxious.

No, SecurROM does a lot more than simple CD checks. And even in Bethesda's case it is, by checking blacklisted software on install (and I assume on every run).

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Doesn't daemon tools have emulation for securom or whatever, i can't remember its been ages since i had it installed.

Canada_jezus on
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    And you'd better believe that some folks (legitimate customers, no less!) notice SecuROM. Like, when it blacklists legitimate, microsoft made programs? Tells you which applications you can and can't run? Or when it crashes explorer whenever you try to right-click?

I ran into that with Kane's Wrath. Now that I know it wasn't an isolated incident I think I'm done with SecuROM. If Fallout 3 has it on Steam I guess I'm not buying. Oh well... I suppose Red Alert 3 will have it, too, but that's a separate matter.

Is there a comprehensive list of games and what DRM they use (and what features they use of each scheme).

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The perks are almost universally badass. It's gonna be tough choosing between them.

Cabezone on
    edited October 2008
    Doesn't daemon tools have emulation for securom or whatever, i can't remember its been ages since i had it installed.

It does, but that doesn't change it from being a completely legitimate and useful tool to have installed. I imagine SecurROM blocks Alcohol 120% too, which does basically the same thing.

Again, it's treating paying customers like criminals thing.

GnomeTank on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Not to derail the DRM discussion, but question on these "Super Mutants". How big are they? Anyone have a screen shot. The Supermutant in the PA comic is picking up a car in one of it's claws with ease, wondering if that's an exaggeration, and if so, how big of one?

DrunkMc on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

That's NOT the way SecurROM usually works, and that's why I am still not convinced Bethesda isn't feeding us a line of BS. If it was a simple CD check, why do you need SecurROM at all? It's obviously more than a simple CD check, as that post implies. It still did the SecurROM checks for programs it has blacklisted, as the guys post clearly shows it failing to install because he had Daemon Tools running.

Now, I run Daemon Tools, for very legitimate reasons (I keep many of my MSDN DVD's like Visual Studio as ISO's on a portal HDD, because it's easier than carrying around my big CD wallet), but FO3 won't install if I have it running. Oh sure, I can just exit it for a second, install FO3 and move on with my life...but is it going to check every time I run the game? That would be obnoxious.

No, SecurROM does a lot more than simple CD checks. And even in Bethesda's case it is, by checking blacklisted software on install (and I assume on every run).

You know, I have to close Pidgin every time I run a game, just because I don't want the system resources to be in use. It's sooooo inconvenient. I can completely sympathize that right clicking on the daemontools icon and selecting "exit" is simply too much to ask.

Which is to say... seriously? I actually want PC gaming to survive, and I understand that they have to explore their options to make their industry as profitable as possible. Piracy has reached ridiculous levels.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

You know, I have to close Pidgin every time I run a game, just because I don't want the system resources to be in use. It's sooooo inconvenient. I can completely sympathize that right clicking on the daemontools icon and selecting "exit" is simply too much to ask.

Which is to say... seriously? I actually want PC gaming to survive, and I understand that they have to explore their options to make their industry as profitable as possible. Piracy has reached ridiculous levels.
    Except for the fact its virtually guarenteed the game will be pirated the day of its release (tomorrow) and the pirates won't have to deal with securom, its only the legitimate customers who get fucked over.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited October 2008

That's not the point and you know it. The fact that an installer for a video game is telling me what I can, and can't run, on my machine, is the point. The convenience of it is completely irrelevant in this case. Last I checked, Bethesda, nor SecurROM, nor EA, nor anyone else, paid for my computer, why should they have any right to deny me access to a piece of software I purchased, based on what I run on my PC?

GnomeTank on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Not to derail the DRM discussion, but question on these "Super Mutants". How big are they? Anyone have a screen shot. The Supermutant in the PA comic is picking up a car in one of it's claws with ease, wondering if that's an exaggeration, and if so, how big of one?

It's really big. There was a side-by-side size comparison image in the last thread, and they were about 20 feet tall.

freakish light on
  • Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's been mentioned numerous times in other threads, but if anything, SecureROM only encourages piracy more then it prevents it.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I ended up buying it on Steam because I don't have to pay tax

Someone tell me if the box is nice :(

Lemming on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I found the size thing.

024-025.jpg

freakish light on
    edited October 2008
    Can you motherfuckers take the DRM discussion to a thread for it?

Cabezone on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cabezone wrote: »
    You're right, discussing the DRM that the game uses has no place at all in a thread about the game...wait a minute o_O

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited October 2008

If it didn't apply directly to this game, and basically expose Bethesda as flat lying to us, then yes, I would. Unfortunately, it's completely relevant now, as Bethesda has admitted to using SecurROM on FO3, something they claimed wouldn't be happening. Sorry if that bothers you, but it's relevant to this game and people should know about it.

GnomeTank on
  • Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Unfortunately their whining is kind of on topic.

Zombie Nirvana on
    edited October 2008

If it didn't apply directly to this game, and basically expose Bethesda as flat lying to us, then yes, I would. Unfortunately, it's completely relevant now, as Bethesda has admitted to using SecurROM on FO3, something they claimed wouldn't be happening. Sorry if that bothers you, but it's relevant to this game and people should know about it.

I have zero problem with talking specifically about THIS games DRM. You guys are blathering about DRM in general. All that is needed is a mention in the main page about DRM.

Cabezone on
    edited October 2008

I have zero problem with talking specifically about THIS games DRM. You guys are blathering about DRM in general. All that is needed is a mention in the main page about DRM.

If by "blathering" you mean educating someone on what SecurROM is and why it's bad, then yes, I was blathering. I am just tired of people acting like SecurROM is fluffy bunny land and perfectly okay as a form of copy protection. It's not, and people need to know why. That fits in to the context of this game, that is using at least part of SecurROM. Considering we don't know what other parts it's using, I think the conversation is completely relevant to this game. Unless you have some inside information and can tell us exactly which parts of SecurROM FO3 is, and isn't, using. If so, please enlighten us.

GnomeTank on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Super mutant...behemoth?

W...what?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Super mutant...behemoth?

W...what?

Yeah, I saw that too.

Oh, he is definitely getting VATSed...all over the place, if at all possible.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

That's not the point and you know it. The fact that an installer for a video game is telling me what I can, and can't run, on my machine, is the point. The convenience of it is completely irrelevant in this case. Last I checked, Bethesda, nor SecurROM, nor EA, nor anyone else, paid for my computer, why should they have any right to deny me access to a piece of software I purchased, based on what I run on my PC?

Look, Bethesda have already said it's a simple CD-Check, and others have already pointed out that nothing gets installed. On top of that, we don't know anything. It might prevent you from running Daemon tools at the same time, it might not.

I HATE having to be the one defending here, but let's save the chewing out until after the game's released and we've got some actual facts on this.

subedii on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Marikir wrote: »
    Super mutant...behemoth?

W...what?

Yeah, I saw that too.

You'd need a sniper rifle just to get within range of his dick. His head is a target reserved for gunslinging avian.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited October 2008

Look, Bethesda have already said it's a simple CD-Check, and others have already pointed out that nothing gets installed. On top of that, we don't know anything. It might prevent you from running Daemon tools at the same time, it might not.

I HATE having to be the one defending here, but let's save the chewing out until after the game's released and we've got some actual facts on this.

I guess my point is this:

First Bethesda claimed they wouldn't be using this type of DRM, it would be a "simple CD-Check". Now on their own forums, a moderator has refuted that, saying "No no, it's SecurROM, but it's still just a CD-Check". So, if they were untruthful about not using SecurROM at all, what's to say they aren't being untruthful about how much of it they are using?

In any case, I think what needed to be said has been said. No one is going to be swayed either way at this point. Either you are okay with this kind of stuff, or you simply aren't. It's obvious what camp many of us are in.

Now how about them Super Mutant Behemoths?

GnomeTank on
    edited October 2008
    Super mutant...behemoth?

W...what?

Yeah, I saw that too.

You'd need a sniper rifle just to get within range of his dick. His head is a target reserved for gunslinging avian.

Gonna have to lure him close to a building and leap attack, Reign of Fire style.

Cabezone on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nuclear catapult... to the eyes

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Super mutant...behemoth?

W...what?

Yeah, I saw that too.

While not quite that severe, the first fight with one of them is fucking terrifying

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • BoredomBoredom Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

First Bethesda claimed they wouldn't be using this type of DRM, it would be a "simple CD-Check". Now on their own forums, a moderator has refuted that, saying "No no, it's SecurROM, but it's still just a CD-Check". So, if they were untruthful about not using SecurROM at all, what's to say they aren't being untruthful about how much of it they are using?

In any case, I think what needed to be said has been said. No one is going to be swayed either way at this point. Either you are okay with this kind of stuff, or you simply aren't. It's obvious what camp many of us are in.

I'm not sure about this but I think they emphasized that it's "fluid" Securom. I think it could mean it doesn't install anything and just does its checks at runtime.

Boredom on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I don't see how SecuROM is incompatible with that being a CD-Check. SecuROM's been around for a long time, and often has been employed simply as a CD check. Features get enabled or disabled, implementations get changed depending on what the devs and publishers decide to do with it. I don't see how they were "untruthful" about using SecuROM, they never said anything about which DRM implementation they'd be using, just that they'd be using one that only does a CD-Check and doesn't do anything else.

Ultimately, if it doesn't install, and it doesn't do anything other than check the CD, then I don't really have any issue with it.

I heard they're big. And possibly stupid.

subedii on
    edited October 2008
    TheFid2 wrote: »
    Super mutant...behemoth?

W...what?

Yeah, I saw that too.

While not quite that severe, the first fight with one of them is fucking terrifying

I'm kinda curious about this whole "Large Enemies" thing that seems to be going on. Resistance 2, Fallout 3, Gears of War, that one Earth Patrol game or something; all of them seem to have these Building Size Enemies. I know it didn't start because of Shadow of the Colossus, but they do seem more prevalent than before.

Marikir on
  • Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh just use a sling and a rock. No nuclear powered laser catapults required.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
    edited October 2008
    Oh just use a sling and a rock.

My name isn't David, screw that.

Marikir on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So according to my gamestop, this is in stock today, they're breaking street date.

KiTA on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    TheFid2 wrote: »
    Super mutant...behemoth?

W...what?

Yeah, I saw that too.

I'm kinda curious about this whole "Large Enemies" thing that seems to be going on. Resistance 2, Fallout 3, Gears of War, that one Earth Patrol game or something; all of them seem to have these Building Size Enemies. I know it didn't start because of Shadow of the Colossus, but they do seem more prevalent than before.

Meh, Asheron's Call did it first.

KiTA on