As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4e Discussion] Character Builder now available for open beta on D&D Insider!

1575859606163»

• Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That'll definitely give you guys a bit of leeway. The fighter also gets some close burst powers, which will help out also. I'm not as sure about the other classes.

From what I hear, controllers are the least necessary of the four main archetypes.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What are your thoughts on a Kobold fighter? lol Fun as hell to roleplay, no?

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I've been tempted to make either a Kobold or Goblin warlord for play in my home group. The thought of barking orders in a squeaky voice and leading people into battle who are 2x-3x my size is appealing.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've been tempted to make either a Kobold or Goblin warlord for play in my home group. The thought of barking orders in a squeaky voice and leading people into battle who are 2x-3x my size is appealing.

Before I settled on swordmage, I was going to write up a kobold inspiring warlord reflavored as a terrifying warlord. Whips worked well with him both mechanically and flavorfully.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Haha god.. that's rich. I might have to steal that idea from you guys eventually. I'd go out of my way to accentuate the kobold's tininess and meekness. I imagine them as the shaky, skittish, self-centered chihuahuas of the d&d world.

TheBog on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TheBog wrote: »
    Haha god.. that's rich. I might have to steal that idea from you guys eventually. I'd go out of my way to accentuate the kobold's tininess and meekness. I imagine them as the shaky, skittish, self-centered chihuahuas of the d&d world.

And one day, he will be King, okay?

http://www.welcometothedoghouse.net/pics/30_chihuahua_painting.jpg

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    oversized is pretty cheesy

especially when a bugbear rogue throws fan blades

Maticore on
  • Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TheBog wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on a Kobold fighter? lol Fun as hell to roleplay, no?

Kobolds are pretty powerful now. Their "shifty" racial ability allows them to shift as a minor action. It's one the most useful racial abilities.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Yeah, but I was taking that into account. It still sounds like the Star Pact effect scores even on a miss. So at the cost of 3 HP every turn until I actually hit with the power, the enemy has a -2 to AC.
    Check the indentation, it only happens on a hit.

Do any encounter powers have strong effects on a miss?

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    From what I hear, controllers are the least necessary of the four main archetypes.

I don't know about least necessary because a strong horde of minions can fuck a wizardless party up pretty hardcore, but it's the easiest lack to compensate for on the DM side of things. Just throw fewer, bigger monsters at a wizardless team and things will remain almost at parity.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    Yeah, but I was taking that into account. It still sounds like the Star Pact effect scores even on a miss. So at the cost of 3 HP every turn until I actually hit with the power, the enemy has a -2 to AC.

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of goblins, whose power is keyed off of being missed. Unless there was a clarification later, it looks like Kobolds are capable of shifting as a minor action.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    YesNoMu wrote: »

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of goblins, whose power is keyed off of being missed. Unless there was a clarification later, it looks like Kobolds are capable of shifting as a minor action.

You're getting two discussions crossed. :lol:

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yikes, sorry folks. I need less beer. Possibly more.

I'm inching closer and closer to either my kobold or my goblin warlord. I'm leaning toward Goblin for the CHA bonus.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    New thread as Thanatos demanded. I'll try to keep the OP updated when new stuff comes out or I find interesting things on my journeys through the salt mines of hades (AKA the Wizards boards).

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
This discussion has been closed.