As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Workin' for the Weekend: The Profession Thread

• Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    DharmaBum wrote: »
    TheEmerged wrote: »
    My money says they've increased the drop rate on daily-oriented random drops. I've had the same thing happen with Sunfury Attack Plans too.

Well I just did the Fishing quest to get past 225 fishing on a DK on the Beta. 4 catches and I was ready to return to Nat. I didn't catch a random number of fish per location, the very first fish I caught also had the needed fish with it.

I did the quest last night as well and got all the fish I needed on 4 catches. Wasn't expecting that.

Alternatively -- leveling fishing is goddamned boring. I really want the baby crocs though...

Well then stop leveling it, just check the daily every day and then do it when it is the Orgrimmar/Stormwind one. That is the only one that will give the baby croc.

yea but I'm also an achievement whore, not to mention I'm sick and tired of buying buff food for raids.

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Re: fishing dailies

I thought something was up when I was doing the felblood fillet quest last night. First cast I get it (normally its about 20 casts), and I get it as an addition to the random trash fish that came up.

Nobody on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    I find myself in perpetual need of Jade ink, personally. Most of the minors I discover seem to need that one.

Last night I learned the one that adds to the radius of Aspect of the Pack. I don't know if I'll even bother making any of those. I know people are hard up for minors, but I don't know if I'll put that on my hunter for the mere cost of the materials to make it.

Oh god, I with you. Last night my research gave me the "Glyph of Possessed Strength" Increases the damage done by your pet when using Eyes of the Beast by 50%.

I've never leveled a hunter past 30 so I'm not sure how useful it actually is. Possibly decent as an opening strategy since my Ghost Saber (aptly named 'cthru') has a stealth ability.

I greatly appreciate any Hunters here that can let me know the frequency at which you use EotB?

Decoy on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just when you forget what the hell the skill does.

At least, that's how often I used it.

Bigity on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Every minor glyph I've discovered has been bad. Well, the druids were happy about the hour-long Thorns one.

I paid 35g for Glyph of Kilrogg on the AH, but have yet to cough up 75g for the extra charge on water shield for my shaman. :oops:

riz on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Bigity wrote: »

Nice, so there's 3 of my minors that are flat useless now. EotB, Death Knight one, and a Priest Shadowfied glyph that I can't make yet.

The SF glyph doesn't look bad, its just a matter of why did I have to learn it within the first week while others are (were) banking off Penguins and Battle Shouts.

If it wasn't for being the only Water Walking Glyph maker on my server, I'd be screwed.

Edit for riz: 75 fucking gold.....yikes.....I'd just take "Glyph of Water Mastery" (passive mana regen boost for WS) and wait it out. I sell those at 20ish, or less depending on availability.

Decoy on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    riz wrote: »
    Every minor glyph I've discovered has been bad. Well, the druids were happy about the hour-long Thorns one.

I paid 35g for Glyph of Kilrogg on the AH, but have yet to cough up 75g for the extra charge on water shield for my shaman. :oops:

There's a guy on Arygos selling the glyph of water form (50% higher speed) for 120g.

Nobody on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Decoy wrote: »

Nice, so there's 3 of my minors that are flat useless now. EotB, Death Knight one, and a Priest Shadowfied glyph that I can't make yet.

The SF glyph doesn't look bad, its just a matter of why did I have to learn it within the first week while others are (were) banking off Penguins and Battle Shouts.

If it wasn't for being the only Water Walking Glyph maker on my server, I'd be screwed.

Edit for riz: 75 fucking gold.....yikes.....I'd just take "Glyph of Water Mastery" (passive mana regen boost for WS) and wait it out. I sell those at 20ish, or less depending on availability.

No no, it's a minor glyph. A useful minor glyph! Amazing, I know. But yeah I really don't like to support price gouging so I'll wait a week or whatever.

And on the first day of the patch people had SoComm and Windfury glyphs up for 100+. It was silly. They're no more rare than the other glyphs of that tier.

riz on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My money says they've increased the drop rate on daily-oriented random drops. I've had the same thing happen with Sunfury Attack Plans too.

Well I just did the Fishing quest to get past 225 fishing on a DK on the Beta. 4 catches and I was ready to return to Nat. I didn't catch a random number of fish per location, the very first fish I caught also had the needed fish with it.

O_o
    The horror story I could tell about doing that quest on my main character... I suddenly feel the need to do this on my primary alt (who hit 225 Fishing the other night).

In other news, I'd heard that this was going to be the result of the spellpower change but it still saddens me. Just shy of 15 hours played, nearly two weeks of playtime at the time doing nothing but ogre slaughter, and it's literally the same result from an easier-to-get and cheaper-to-make enchant. At least the "one third of +healing" change gave me a 5 spelldamage advantage.
    I only leveled one character past 225 fishing since that quest was so bad for me. Well, that and the knowledge that fishing skill up rates become retardedly low past about 200. And having to carry a stack of bait around. And because it's not fun.

forty on
  • Options
    TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    RE: Rune of Thorns. I must hate you now (that's the druid minor I most want) ;)

RE: Fishing. Something is *definitely* up. *Both* of my characters got the croc on the first try last night, and when I took my druid to do the first leg of the Nat Pagle fish he got it on the first cast.

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fishing quests are bugged. You always get it first try currently plus you catch another fish with the quest one. If the extra fish is a rare that requires a loot confirmation and you autoloot....it will bug out and not let you loot the rare.

Had that happen to me when I fished up Old Crafty. I couldn't loot him but I still go the achievement.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    RE: Rune of Thorns. I must hate you now (that's the druid minor I most want) ;)

RE: Fishing. Something is *definitely* up. *Both* of my characters got the croc on the first try last night, and when I took my druid to do the first leg of the Nat Pagle fish he got it on the first cast.

It's a known bug. It doesn't seem limited to fishing either, since I've had a much better drop rate for nether residue since the patch (when mining, usually not on the first strike, but on every strike after).

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Decoy wrote: »

No no, it's a minor glyph. A useful minor glyph! Amazing, I know. But yeah I really don't like to support price gouging so I'll wait a week or whatever.

And on the first day of the patch people had SoComm and Windfury glyphs up for 100+. It was silly. They're no more rare than the other glyphs of that tier.

Yeah, I know about minor, I just thought it you were mana starved, WM could work as well. Pending you had a major slot open of course.

RE: Rarity of glyphs directly relating to the price. Due to the pigeon holed/situational nature of glyphs, I would think most potential Major Glyph buyers are asking these questions:

What spells/talents do I used the most?
    What glyphs best benefit those spells/talents?
    What would best benefit my char in general?

You would think scribes would recognize those glyphs and price accordingly. Sadly this isn't the case as most people are wanting to move their product NOW at seemingly any cost just to see ANY return on their investment.

Short term, people who are serious about the profession will stick with it and wait for the market to right itself. Long term, hopefully those who leveled inscription only because its the "new" thing will eventually die out and and take their insane undercutting practices with them. :)

Decoy on
  • Options
    LineNoizLineNoiz Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I'm about to hit 350 tailoring on my spriest. Should I bother with a specialty, and if so, is Shadoweave still tits?

LineNoiz on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Frozen shadowweave is just regular spell power now, so it's not as great I guess. So probably not worth farming up the mats at this point really.

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Shadoweave is no longer +Frost/Shadow, it's now just +spell power at a nerfed value. It's pretty much even with tier 4 now, although perhaps still a little better for affliction warlocks/shadow priests. You should be able to replace it in a few levels in Northrend, so I wouldn't bother with the cost/trouble of making it now. I'd say just take a specialty, use that for double transmutes, and sell off the transmuted cloth.

forty on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Or use a little foresight; has anything been released about the upcomming specialty specific recipes in the expansion?

wowdb.com is blocked here at work, but that's probably worth perusing.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    LineNoiz wrote: »
    So I'm about to hit 350 tailoring on my spriest. Should I bother with a specialty, and if so, is Shadoweave still tits?

Yes, you should bother with a specialty. What I'm hearing from the beta is that the new ubercloths are still tied to the TBC specialties (you make 2 per cooldown in your specialty). Don't worry about advancing tailoring much further though, there are new recipes starting at 350.

If I had it to do over again, I'd be Primal Mooncloth. Heck, I started out PM spec anyway to stock up on bags then switched to FSW. I haven't checked out the WotLK suits yet though.

TheEmerged on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Or use a little foresight; has anything been released about the upcomming specialty specific recipes in the expansion?

If Shadoweave is the obvious choice for shadow priests now, I wouldn't expect that to change in Wrath.

forty on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    forty wrote: »

If Shadoweave is the obvious choice for shadow priests now, I wouldn't expect that to change in Wrath.

Agreed, but without having researched it (especially with the new generic spellpower change) I'd recommend looking into it before blindly following self-admittedly uninformed advice.

My priest and warlock will likely remain shadow, my mage spellcloth and my hunter mooncloth, but I do intend to look into what we're getting before WLK comes out, just in case.

Forar on
  • Options
    LineNoizLineNoiz Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

That's mostly what I was wondering - if any info has been released about the new craftables in wotlk. I suppose I will peruse wowdb then.

I would think Mooncloth would be good for big ass bags, but then I seem to half remember hearing something about new 20-slot craftable bags in wotlk that use regular cloth... I guess I'll have to look that up too.

Anyway, thanks for the link!

LineNoiz on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Info about the new tailoring items = WoWHead is sometimes a build behind but should get you in the ballpark.

The pattern so far seems to be...
    Ebonweave (Shadoweave) = hit, damage, intellect, stamina.
    Moonshround (Primal Mooncloth) = damage, intellect, stamina, spirit.
    Spellweave (Spellcloth) = haste, damage, intellect, stamina.

So yeah, I'm probably going to end up switching back to Primal Mooncloth, maybe Spellcloth instead. Shadoweave doesn't give my frost mage much.

TheEmerged on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    There's a WLK specific wowhead which would probably be better (unless they've just consolidated the info at this point, again, I can't check from work), but I found that (at least since the last time I checked) wowdb seemed to be a bit more up to date on the WLK stuff.

If wowhead has taken the lead again, however, I'll be very happy. They're very similar, which is great, but I'm just more familiar/comfortable with wowhead after using it for a good two years now.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The link is to the wotlk-specific wowhead, Forar. Give me *some* credit :P

TheEmerged on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Did I ever mention how awesome I think Glyph of Kilrogg is?

(It's still pretty much worthless, but it's awesome!)

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The link is to the wotlk-specific wowhead, Forar. Give me *some* credit :P

Did you alter it? I hovered over and didn't see the wotlk addendum in the link.

Either way, a clear sign I need more coffee. My pardons, good sir.

Edit: and if what I'm seeing in your post remains true, it looks like I may be swapping my priest over from Shadowcloth to Mooncloth, assuming it makes for good Holy & Shadow gear. Twice as fast on the bags too, assuming the new XX (22? Bigger?) bags are there again.

Forar on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I wouldn't ever use mooncloth. The complete loss of stamina is way too much of a blow, regardless of the other stats. I'll probably use exclusively shadow, since by all accounts the rest of wrath is filled to the brim with haste gear, so some exclusively hit will be nice.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'd recommend looking into it before blindly following self-admittedly uninformed advice.
    Well that's no way to live your life.

forty on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I wouldn't ever use mooncloth. The complete loss of stamina is way too much of a blow, regardless of the other stats. I'll probably use exclusively shadow, since by all accounts the rest of wrath is filled to the brim with haste gear, so some exclusively hit will be nice.

Moonshroud and Ebonweave both have nearly the same stamina according to that WoWhead link of TheEmerged, only the Spellweave has no stamina.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I suppose they must have changed it in wrath. Pretty sure mooncloth in BC is the only one of the three with no stamina.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I suppose they must have changed it in wrath. Pretty sure mooncloth in BC is the only one of the three with no stamina.

According to WoWhead, both Spellfire and Primal Mooncloth. I am geussing that Frozen Shadoweave had it for the benefit of Warlocks.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'd recommend looking into it before blindly following self-admittedly uninformed advice.
    Well that's no way to live your life.[Citation Needed]

>.>

<.<

Forar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

According to WoWhead, both Spellfire and Primal Mooncloth. I am geussing that Frozen Shadoweave had it for the benefit of Warlocks.
    Welp, color me dumb then. Oh well, I just find hp to be far too important to any clothie class to give up. I don't have any raid experience though, so it could easily be quite a different scenario there.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, when it comes to priests, I believe they (of all the casters) get the most out of Spirit, though I'm not sure how that varries from spec to spec, so perhaps giving up some stamina (and making up for it with stamina / hp enchants) might be worthwhile, but you'd probably need someone who had a priest Main to get better info from.

Of course, if you're on a pvp server then perhaps it's not worth the risk, but as a pve server player, I don't find keeping myself alive all that difficult while solo'ing or in instances, so it's not that big a deal.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well that's no way to live your life.[Citation Needed]

>.>

<.<
    Lighten up on the srs bsns.
    Homer: There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Homer way!
    Bart: Isn't that the wrong way?
    Homer: Yeah, but faster!

forty on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

If it's not a Wall Of Text Attrocity, it's rarely srs bsns from me.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Those eyes looked pretty srs to me.

forty on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

It's actually "the Max Power way", not "the Homer way".

Simpsons quotes are srsbsns.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    reVerse wrote: »

It's actually "the Max Power way", not "the Homer way".

Simpsons quotes are srsbsns.
    SHIT

It's not my fault syndicated Simpsons episodes haven't played during the hours when I'm actually at home for years!

forty on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The part I editted Forar was making clearer that my character is a frost mage, where the original quest was from a shadow priest. The link is to the wotlk.wowhead.com site.

What might be causing part of the confusion here Cilla is that the TBC mooncloth set lacks stamina, but the WotLK mooncloth set (Moonshroud) has it.

TheEmerged on