Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Moment of the Week October 16 2008

13»

Posts

  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Because otherwise you wouldn't get to see Booster Gold rip the face of a gorilla.

    Or maybe I should say a Gore-illa.

    Bloods End on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    I just don't understand why Starro has Grundy, Chemo, and Grodd. He said that the weaker the mind the easier to control, but Grodd has a super powerful mind.

    I just sort of handwaved it away by assuming that the gorilla was another of the many gorilla characters to exist in the DCU; Monsieur Mallah, the Gorilla Boss of Gotham, one of the Primate Patrol, or the Mod Gorilla Boss. Or maybe just a regular gorilla that Booster thought was a supervillain gorilla.

    He'll be getting a letter from PETA about that later.

    Munch on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User
    edited October 2008
    Man, the reveal at the end of Legions of 3 Worlds was great
    I love that Sodom Yat has the hair cut he has at the end of the original prophecy, nice bit of detail there.

    kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    Ha ha Keith read Countdown.
    Alright, serious reply. I think a character's death has more impact when it happens in a book where the character's been appearing for a while. It gives readers a chance to care about them, and what happens to them. If Dubbilex had been popping up in Superman stories for the past year or so, his death would bother me less. As is, it feels like they pulled him from limbo just to kill him, making him less of a character to be mourned, and more of a plot point to be absorbed and eventually forgotten.

    If someone wanted to kill Robotman, I'd hope it would be in an ongoing Doom Patrol book, where Cliff Steele is a recurring character, and not in a random fifth week event. If Starfire died, it would probably resonate best in a Titans book, rather than say, Green Lantern. I'll give Robinson points for killing Dubbilex in a Jimmy Olsen book though, so at least he's dying in the right franchise.

    I understand I'm probably an abnormality among comic fans though. I hold way too much of the mythology sacred, probably too much so for my own good, so I take umbrage at things a lot of things other readers don't balk at. I view killing a character as removing a piece of that mythology, forcing later writers to either never use the character, effectively removing them forever, or to cheapen the character by resurrecting them. Both aren't options I like.

    Personally, I was a fan of Joe Quesada's Dead Means Dead edict. I may not have completely agreed with the strictness of it, since I think a shitty death should be able to be undone, but I liked his rationale. He felt that, by forcing writers to accept and acknowledge that a character would be dead forever if they wrote their death, it would make writers really stop and think about what they were taking off the table. Hopefully forcing them to write stories that didn't hinge on cheap dramatic shortcuts like killing B-listers, or writing character deaths that were really worthy of being a character's final send off.

    Like I said though, I'm just sort of weird in that way.

    i'm in absolute agreement with you. i wish DC had a Dead Means Dead policy. Instead they've gone the reverse route and I hate almost everything about DC these days.

    Rans on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Man, the reveal at the end of Legions of 3 Worlds was great
    I love that Sodom Yat has the hair cut he has at the end of the original prophecy, nice bit of detail there.
    haircut and the uniform is the same too. the last "Guardian of the Universe" works too because he likely still has ION within him and Kyle's Ion series was subtitled "Guardian of the Universe"

    if the GLs keep having an important role in L3W i may have to buy it

    Rans on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anti-moment of the week, Punisher Max
    It was a cop-out, which is annoying. But I probably shouldn't complain about it, because if he had really killed the little girl, and not then killed himself and ended the series, I probably wouldn't bother reading anymore.

    Although, this does give room for some potential character exploration if Frank acknowledges that it still could have happened. We'll see!

    Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Anti-moment of the week, Punisher Max
    It was a cop-out, which is annoying. But I probably shouldn't complain about it, because if he had really killed the little girl, and not then killed himself and ended the series, I probably wouldn't bother reading anymore.

    Although, this does give room for some potential character exploration if Frank acknowledges that it still could have happened. We'll see!
    Her showing him the bullet was a little weird too, though I guess you could explain it as subconsciously he knew he didn't kill her or something.

    It was a little meh, but that last page did make me want to read the next issue. Always down with watching Frank dish out some righteous vengeance.

    fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    fray wrote: »
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Anti-moment of the week, Punisher Max
    It was a cop-out, which is annoying. But I probably shouldn't complain about it, because if he had really killed the little girl, and not then killed himself and ended the series, I probably wouldn't bother reading anymore.

    Although, this does give room for some potential character exploration if Frank acknowledges that it still could have happened. We'll see!
    Her showing him the bullet was a little weird too, though I guess you could explain it as subconsciously he knew he didn't kill her or something.

    It was a little meh, but that last page did make me want to read the next issue. Always down with watching Frank dish out some righteous vengeance.
    Yeah, it didn't put me off the book, it was just annoying. Which is exactly why I didn't want them to bring this up. Because if they don't pull the whole "JUST KIDDING! FOOLED YOU!" then they'd have to have him kill a kid and then keep being the Punisher. And that's stupid. He'd eat a bullet.

    So don't get me wrong, I'm glad that was the outcome, and I'm glad it's resolved (it seems) so quickly, but it was a dumb thing to throw in when you're only doing one arc.

    Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Whoah, when did Onomatopoeia show up, besides in some early GA issues? I fucking love that guy.

    Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Whoah, when did Onomatopoeia show up, besides in some early GA issues? I fucking love that guy.

    He hasn't yet. He's gonna be in Batman: Cacophony, the 3 issue miniseries by Kevin Smith that starts next month.

    Garlic Bread on
13»
Sign In or Register to comment.