As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Firefox 3.1 Beta Thread: Now with Beta 2!

• Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So... I've noticed this seems to switch tabs in the order of last viewed, instead of in the order they're arranged in the tab bar. Any ideas on how to get it to just move from left to right along the bar?

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, is anyone else getting crashes every time they try to log into a vBulletin forum with the new javascript engine?

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There's a pref for this (should default to the way you and everyone else wants, but they guy in charge is being a complete dick about it):

browser.ctrlTab.mostRecentlyUsed

you can also change the number of recently used before it switches to tabbar order using

browser.ctrlTab.recentlyUsedLimit

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    There's a pref for this (should default to the way you and everyone else wants, but they guy in charge is being a complete dick about it):

you can also change the number of recently used before it switches to tabbar order using

Yeah, I remember it used to be an option before, but I couldn't find it. Searching for "tabs" didn't throw that up, understandably. Thanks!

EDIT: Hmm, that seems to have disabled the new tab switcher previews (just toggled the mostRecentlyUsed value to false.) Oh well.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dodosdodos Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is there a setting in the about:config that will turn off going to the last used tab and instead go to the next tab on the tab bar? Also, can I turn the tab preview thing off?

dodos on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Are you talking about what tab gets selected when you close the current tab? I know that Tab Mix Plus lets you fully control that behavior.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    No, what tab gets selected when I press Ctrl+Tab. I'd rather it be the next sequential tab rather than the last used tab. Also would like to disable the new ctrl+tab preview pane.

dodos on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

To be fair, "most recently used" is a much better way to handle application switching, i.e. with alt-tab. Can't say which I prefer in FF, as I never use the shortcut.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

To be fair, "most recently used" is a much better way to handle application switching, i.e. with alt-tab. Can't say which I prefer in FF, as I never use the shortcut.

Yeah really, it's not "being a dick" to insist that the default setting matches the behavior of windows, which actually the majority of users probably expect. And the only setting that supports the use case of swapping between two different tabs.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    im not getting firefox 3 until they fix flash so that i wont have to upgrade it to 10 just to get flash video sites to work (using firefox 2 with flash 9 still... its the only stable setup i have found for adult swim and south park, etc)

might be a dumb excuse for me, but its what works and dosnt work my work and laptop, my vista pc i am not so sure

Barcardi on
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »

Yeah really, it's not "being a dick" to insist that the default setting matches the behavior of windows, which actually the majority of users probably expect. And the only setting that supports the use case of swapping between two different tabs.
    I would agree with you except for all the complaints saying this is not their expected order or even the best order. The taskbar is just a different beast, and while visually matching its design is a nice touch, I don't think matching all its behavior is the best thing ever.

That said, I don't use the functionality either, so I really don't care which way it goes. I just remember reading more than a few blogs/forums posts from angry users when it landed originally, and I remember Dao refusing to really consider anything else except for advanced hidden prefs (hence, he seemed a bit dickish to me). It looks and works different in the nightly builds now, and will probably still change some more.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I don't see why it should be a hidden pref.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I would agree with you except for all the complaints saying this is not their expected order or even the best order. The taskbar is just a different beast, and while visually matching its design is a nice touch, I don't think matching all its behavior is the best thing ever.

That said, I don't use the functionality either, so I really don't care which way it goes. I just remember reading more than a few blogs/forums posts from angry users when it landed originally, and I remember Dao refusing to really consider anything else except for advanced hidden prefs (hence, he seemed a bit dickish to me). It looks and works different in the nightly builds now, and will probably still change some more.

The reason you are getting a bunch of blog posts bitching about it is cognitive lock-in. It's that people prefer a bad interface over a good one because they've been using it a lot.

There are plenty of sound reasons to like the new interface better.

Also, the Ctrl+Tab behavior is configurable in Tab Mix Plus under Events->Tab Features.

RandomEngy on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This isn't necessarily about 3.1, just some thoughts in general about using MRU for Ctrl+Tab and Alt+Tab.

For me, at least, I prefer Ctrl+Tab to switch through the order of the tab bar and Alt+Tab to switch by MRU, mostly because I can see the tab bar and I like the thought of being able to have some familiarity with the order in which I'm switching.

Alt+Tab doesn't worry me too much, since I either autohide my taskbar or I'm using a WM where there isn't a taskbar equivalent.

I'm not sure if that really makes all that much sense. Basically, when I Ctrl+Tab, I Ctrl+Tab automatically according to what I see in the tab bar or what I expect to see in the tab bar (going by my past tab-related actions). I treat Alt+Tab differently because I don't see the taskbar.

Also, this applies to Ctrl+W as well as Ctrl+Tab. It gets slightly confusing when I close a tab and whoops, I'm at the other end of the tab bar.

I could probably get used to MRU, but this is probably where resistance to change comes in. Or laziness. Both, in fact.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'd guess most people select tabs by clicking on them. For these people, having Ctrl-Tab just select the next tab means they have no easy way to toggle between two tabs, like they can in Windows with Alt-Tab.

Selecting defaults is about catering to the common case and conforming to UI conventions.

RandomEngy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    That certainly makes sense. My thing is that I almost always use keyboard shortcuts. The best solution is to just have an MRU/non-MRU option in the options dialogue, like Opera has, and have MRU as the default.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have a Firefox 3 question: Is there a way to change the websites listed under the drop-down address bar (the one where you type the addresses) so it lists the ones I recently visited? It keeps the same sites listed, even if I don't visit them in a while, when I would prefer it lists the most recently visited sites instead. Any way to configure this?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Since this is the only active Firefox thread... is there any extension that, when searching for a term, will highlight the term while also dimming the rest of the page? OSX Safari has this feature, and it's really useful.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I think XUL/Migemo lets you do this.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Cyvros wrote: »
    I think XUL/Migemo lets you do this.

score! thank you.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    No problem.

By the way, a good place to search for some of the Firefox extensions out there is Lifehacker. I found that extension last year over there (never used it, but somehow managed to remember it was there).

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    oh word, lifehacker has saved me many a headache

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I really want to either clear my address bar or update it with more current sites. I'm tired of it displaying places I haven't visited in weeks.

• Options
    edited December 2008
    clear history? i don't keep a history at all.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I keep it for a day. Do you guys find stability in using the beta? I don't think I could live without my addons...and the Nightly Test Build addon scares me a bit.

dodos on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    dodos wrote: »
    I keep it for a day. Do you guys find stability in using the beta? I don't think I could live without my addons...and the Nightly Test Build addon scares me a bit.

Why does it scare you?

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    dodos wrote: »

I've uninstalled Firefox 3 entirely, and have been using the beta since it was out. That Nightly Tester Tools addon hasn't broken anything, but Google Gears was incompatible the last time I tried to force compatibility (it kept crashing Firefox on startup, but this was ages ago). All my other addons work fine.

I haven't had any major stability issues: the only time I can consistently get the browser to crash is when I try to open multiple JPEGs in different tabs (downloading wallpapers from Interfacelift).

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well I mean I just have general instability - like I can't scroll down when I try to customize toolbar.

Maybe it's an addon that has to deal with the toolbar, but I don't know.

dodos on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ayulin wrote: »
    I haven't had any major stability issues: the only time I can consistently get the browser to crash is when I try to open multiple JPEGs in different tabs (downloading wallpapers from Interfacelift).

I get this too, it's annoying as hell. It's the only major issue I've had, though.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Beta 2 is out now; I haven't tried it, since I'm uploading stuff to YouTube in another tab, but I'll update the OP with links and features.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm using it - they've taken out the entire tab switching thing entirely, which I'm appreciative for. Clearing history is different (and much more useful) now too. Also, pr0n mode!

dodos on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hmm. Ubiquity seems to have borked itself up during the move from Beta 1 to Beta 2; all my commands are gone, except for command-list, command-editor, and help.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Firefox team just RickRoll'd the Beta 2 Release Notes. :D

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Should I give the beta a try? Is it stable enough without any random crashes or anything?

• Options
    edited December 2008
    Seems to be pretty stable to me. Your biggest issue will be extension incompatibility.

Also, gContextMenu.imageURL is now gContextMenu.mediaURL. Rehost Image now works with beta 2, yay.

They've turned on the Tracemonkey JIT for javascript on webpages, but it still looks like it's off by default for chrome javascript.

RandomEngy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    What's gContextMenu.mediaURL?

Man I love that I can play with a browser.

dodos on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Just some API my extension interacts with.

RandomEngy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Seems to be pretty stable to me. Your biggest issue will be extension incompatibility.

That ain't good. What extensions are currently incompatible with it?

• Options
    edited December 2008
    So long as you've installed Nightly Tester Tools and set it up to ignore compatibility checks, most extensions and themes should work fine.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm not sure if this is Firefox related, but my text cursor is popping up in webpages. Instead of pushing down on the arrow key to move the scroll bar down, it just moves the text cursor word by word. It's pretty annoying, so if anyone knows how to switch it back, please tell me.

Edit: Nevermind, found the solution on google. I really need to use it more often. :/