As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The American Presidency: Obama does not believe in prevent defense

• Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I can't believe how red that map is. That was '04? Luckily Obama's a hell of a lot more popular than Kerry.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    plufim wrote: »
    She warned voters about Democratic plans to raise taxes "on America's hard-working families and our small businesses and a lot of folks just like Joe the Plumber and Ed the Dairyman out there."
    Why does she lie? Why does the fucking idiot lie?

Because people are stupid and will believe anything if it's repeated often enough?

Yeah :(

Even if Obama used his money bin (ducktales, woo) to fund an add campaign that layed out in simple terms why his proposed tax system is better for small buisness, and had it play every ad break on every major channel, it wouldn't change many minds. A lot of people who believe this seem to be those who'll not believe what obama says anyway. He could point out over and over sarah is lying, and it just would not matter for a lot of people.

On the other hand, if Obama uses his money bin to tell everyone that McCain will tax their health benefits, he does pretty well on the taxes issue.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Except Bush won Iowa last time.
    2004countymap-final.gif

That was a long 4 years ago.

Ack. That map makes me feel... ill.

Keep in mind, though, that all that red represents places where nobody fucking lives.

Seriously.

In fact, in states that are majority red by land area, you can generally spot the metro areas because those are the blue counties. Only like one or two major metro areas are red on that map. Depends where you draw the cuttoff, of course...Phoenix would probably be the largest (and only truly "major" one), and a few others over a million (Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City).

EDIT: Oops...looking at the cartogram, it appears Tampa was solid red as well, and that's a pretty big one too.
    I can't believe how red that map is. That was '04? Luckily Obama's a hell of a lot more popular than Kerry.

The counties probably won't change as much as you'd like to think, it's mostly going to be higher turnout in the counties that are already blue (and closer margins in the rest).

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Ghandi 2 wrote: »
    How do you think the country would have responded if Barack and Michelle had five kids, and the oldest, at 17, was pregnant and unmarried? He wouldn't have made it past the first state primary. But it's a Republican, and it's good old small-town values. How do you think the country would react if Barack and Michelle were members of the Illinois Independance Party advocating for secession from the Union? How do you think the country would have reacted if Jeremiah Wright, when starting out as a Reverend, had driven a woman out of town by raising her neighbors against her by claiming she was a witch?

There is absolutely a double-fucking-standard in this country when it comes to Republicans, so don't get all huffy when some of the more angry members of the public boil it all down to "Fuck Republicans."
    Calm the fuck down, I wasn't being huffy, I just wanted to know specifically what he was talking about.

You're the one who's making false comparisons now, Palin would not have gotten past the primary either, and I don't think McCain-Palin would have either. I would have voted for Romney, and I bet a lot of other people would have too, it was a close race for a while. There is no evidence for the second point except for that video from 2006, which was not a ringing endorsement of them at all. I haven't even heard of that last one.

While you guys I'm sure were laughing at the Daily Show clip of O'Reilly on Bristol vs O'Reilly on Jamie Spears, there are sometimes different circumstances that cause people to make different judgements! I will agree that there was a massive flip-flop on the experience issue.
    OLD :P

No evidence for the second point? Todd Palin was a confirmed member.

And I am calm. I'm just sick of you coming in here everytime we get irritated by something else the GOP has done and saying "You're all 'Rarr! Fuck Republicans!'"

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Here's that map in population cartogram form (by county).

countycartredbluelarge.png

A lot of that red territory is practically empty.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »

Keep in mind, though, that all that red represents places where nobody fucking lives.

Seriously.

In fact, in states that are majority red by land area, you can generally spot the metro areas because those are the blue counties. Only like one or two major metro areas are red on that map. Depends where you draw the cuttoff, of course...Phoenix would probably be the largest (and only truly "major" one), and a couple others over a million (Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City).

This is really interesting to me. I think it's fair to say that tons of city-dwellers are democrats(or vote democrat), and people in the boonies vote republican. Is this an American anomaly, or do most democratic countries have such a harsh city/rural dichotomy?

edit: Pants, that is the trippiest map I've ever seen. Makes more sense in terms of how the election worked out, though.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PantsB wrote: »

God DAMN it, why can't anyone make normal fucking maps anymore?! :x

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Ghandi 2 wrote: »
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    While there isn't good reason to think Sarah was strongly connected to the AIP, Todd was a member for the better part of a decade.
    ABC News wrote:
    [Director of Alaska Division of Elections Gail] Fenumiai says that Palin's husband Todd was a member of the AIP from October 1995 through July 2002, except for a few months in 2000. He is currently undeclared.
    I wasn't aware of that, those crazy Alaskans.

But it's a good thing Todd isn't vice presidennt. ;-)

You know, in the guilt by assossiation column, I'm more than willing to go after spouses. I know my wife sure as hell wields an influence on my world view.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Seriously.

In fact, in states that are majority red by land area, you can generally spot the metro areas because those are the blue counties. Only like one or two major metro areas are red on that map. Depends where you draw the cuttoff, of course...Phoenix would probably be the largest (and only truly "major" one), and a couple others over a million (Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City).

This is really interesting to me. I think it's fair to say that tons of city-dwellers are democrats(or vote democrat), and people in the boonies vote republican. Is this an American anomaly, or do most democratic countries have such a harsh city/rural dichotomy?

I doubt it's uniquely American.

Also keep in mind that by "city-dwellers vote Democrat" you're only talking about maybe 60% in most cases (and 60% Republican in the boonies).

mcdermott on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Seriously.

Also keep in mind that by "city-dwellers vote Democrat" you're only talking about maybe 60% in most cases (and 60% Republican in the boonies).

Same split applies in Australia. Rural areas tend to lean right, suburban areas left.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

It's a shame that we don't vote by square mile but rather actual people.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Seriously.

In fact, in states that are majority red by land area, you can generally spot the metro areas because those are the blue counties. Only like one or two major metro areas are red on that map. Depends where you draw the cuttoff, of course...Phoenix would probably be the largest (and only truly "major" one), and a few others over a million (Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City).

EDIT: Oops...looking at the cartogram, it appears Tampa was solid red as well, and that's a pretty big one too.
    Uh, Houston and DFW say, "Hi."

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Seriously.

Yeah, I was trying to make that sound less like total generalization. It just seems like an archaic difference. I would have imagined that the country was so interdependent by now that people would not be quite so localized in their voting patterns.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Well I think we should. There, I said it.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, I was trying to make that sound less like total generalization. It just seems like an archaic difference. I would have imagined that the country was so interdependent by now that people would not be quite so localized in their voting patterns.
    People tend to live and associate with those who are like themselves. I think there have been books on how people with similar political views tending to live near each other.

Couscous on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

That's a terrible idea.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I see a pissed off parrot.

I mean, it's a seriously pissed off parrot.

Or maybe a butterfly.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That would make a good RPG map with the blue being land and the red being sea.

Couscous on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Sigh. That's what I expected.

It always bothers me that unions are often all painted with the "evil, anti-buisness" brush. Unions have done some incredibly important things for workers rights world wide. The political right always hates them though (especially here in australia), despite the fact that the majority of workers are employees, not employers.

Uhhh, i think you hit on the main points of why the right hate unions.

1. They advantage workers. This means they disadvantage businesses.

2. Therefor the republicans hate it.

P.S.

I always like

"You are now enjoying 'the weekend', brought to you by Unions"

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I see a pissed off parrot.

I mean, it's a seriously pissed off parrot.

Or maybe a butterfly.

Jesus CHRIST, now I see a parrot.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2008
    I love how freakishly big Manhattan is to everything else. It is so awesome.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This seems sensible. Indeed, as Sept. 11 did not result in a much-feared (by intellectuals) wave of popular Islamophobia or xenophobia

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    seasleepy wrote: »

Seriously.

Uh, Houston and DFW say, "Hi."

Damn. My bad. My pitiful knowledge of Texas geography says "hi."

I figured that blue dot over in the east (on the coast) was at least some part of Houston (and at least on that one I wasn't too far off), but I just totally forgot about Dallas.

In fairness, Texas is only technically part of the US anyway. :P

mcdermott on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Goumindong wrote: »

It always bothers me that unions are often all painted with the "evil, anti-buisness" brush. Unions have done some incredibly important things for workers rights world wide. The political right always hates them though (especially here in australia), despite the fact that the majority of workers are employees, not employers.

P.S.

I always like

Oh I understand why they hate it. I just can't work out why so many employees buy into the argument.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

That's a terrible idea.

Just think about it. Didn't feudalism rock? Someone who owns a 400-acre ranch is obviously more qualified to make decisions than someone in a one-room apartment, right?

Couscous wrote:
    People tend to live and associate with those who are like themselves. I think there have been books on how people with similar political views tending to live near each other.

That makes sense. It's nifty. I think it's great that Obama has broad appeal, and is actually trying to reach out to everyone. Yesterday I saw some of his campaign ads, and I live in Maryland, which is usually pretty safely democratic.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »

I tend to see the stupid greatly magnified when in greater numbers...i think thats why back home In Olympia, i was more conservative, i just liked pissing off the hippies...now Im at a very VERY Conservative University, In fact, dare i say, the most conservative University in the Country? And for some reason I just cant help but wear my Obama button as much as possible. I mean thats not THE reason why I'm going for Obama, but it sure encourages me

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh I understand why they hate it. I just can't work out why so many employees buy into the argument.

Unions do have downsides, and they can cause a lot of problems. The thing is that they're also the last barrier between assholes and screwing workers over.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

P.S.

I always like

Pubs see the people in the union as supporting laziness. They see the union as allowing lazy workers to continue and get the good benefits for doing nothing. They also see it as supporting silly pay schemes where you get paid more for how long you have worked somewhere as opposed to how much you know and how good of a worker you are. It isn't because "they advantage workers"

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man what? The actual cities of Dallas and Houston are all sorts of Democrat. They're just such massive counties as well.

Quid on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    syndalis wrote: »
    I love how freakishly big Manhattan is to everything else. It is so awesome.

I love how you can actually see the outline of Cook County bulging forth.

moniker on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Unions do have downsides, and they can cause a lot of problems. The thing is that they're also the last barrier between assholes and screwing workers over.

The trouble is in finding the happy medium between asshole union reps and asshole management. I'd say the trades are largely alright since at least they bother teaching their people shit so you know the labour actually is skilled. We have a 'community' built in Texas with unskilled immigrant labour and the one outside Chicago that's dominated by unions. They're cheap enough down south to use better materials, but the oversight costs more whereas here we spend more hourly (and so use cheaper siding et. al.) but can basically just hand out permit sets and take a nap.

moniker on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Another day in the COLORADO REPORT!!

So a few new things:
    1. In Boulder county we registered about 4k people in September the down side is around ~1k more registrations were deemed incomplete. So mail has been sent out to these people to tell them how to correct what ever problems they had. The campaign has been spending a lot of time calling these people telling them about the problems and how to fix them. I hope this doesn't fuck us :'(
    2. The campaign seems to be rather on top of preventing voter suppression at the polls. We have lots of poll watchers and lawyers so hopefully we can have a lawyer at every polling location.
    3. I am going to be a deputy canvass director/ canvass captain for my area. w00ts.
    4. Early vote starts tomorrow hopefully we will get a TON of people out to the polls to show the youth vote is going to show up and show they are voting for Obama.

Other randomness:
    -I got a verbal warning from the police for canvassing the CU dorms because some prick called the cops and told them we were "entering rooms unasked" which constitutes breaking and entering. They took down my info so I'm kind of afraid to go canvass the dorms again for fear of actually getting arrested/ticketed. Anyone know if they keep 'verbal warning' information somewhere in case something like that happened again.
    -My photos of Michelle and Barack are going to be used on Le Monde's website (a French newspaper with a circulation of about 370k). I will post a link when they are up which should be around Tuesday. Photos are here if anyone cares: http://flickr.com/jeff25rs

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »

P.S.

I always like

Pubs see the people in the union as supporting laziness. They see the union as allowing lazy workers to continue and get the good benefits for doing nothing. They also see it as supporting silly pay schemes where you get paid more for how long you have worked somewhere as opposed to how much you know and how good of a worker you are. It isn't because "they advantage workers"
    Unions have a good and bad side. I work at a unionized company, and it's not really necessary because it's not physical labor, it's damn-near white collar. The union doesn't really do anything except allow us to call them in if we think we're bout to be disciplined, in which case they don't help at all.

When we went union, it actually made things worse. Less vacation, stricter rules on clocking in and clocking out, and less freedom with our schedules. You see, I work for a huge company and the company already had very good benefits and fair policies.

The one person in our store who likes the union? A lady who likes to sit on her ass, do nothing, and be rude to customers, and any time a manager asks her to do anything that might not be in her job description, she cries union.

I know that's not the way it always is, and they ARE necessary in a situation where people are working way too much overtime for physical labor, but unions CAN be a total pain in the ass.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This seems sensible. Indeed, as Sept. 11 did not result in a much-feared (by intellectuals) wave of popular Islamophobia or xenophobia
    Ugh.

And then there's this bit:
    Now, the Pew poll I cited earlier also showed Barack Obama holding a 50 percent to 40 percent lead over John McCain in the race for the White House. You might think this data point poses a challenge to my encomium to the good sense of the American people.
    olol Obama supporters are nonsensical.

And then he holds up Joe the Plumber too as a "star in our vulgar democratic circus". Jesus Christ, does the McCain campaign actually think people are interested in what this guy thinks? o_O (Apparently yes.)
    Quid wrote: »
    Man what? The actual cities of Dallas and Houston are all sorts of Democrat. They're just such massive counties as well.
    Well, sort of. I was mostly just responding to the part about the largest "red" metro area being Phoenix though. ;)

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I tend to see the stupid greatly magnified when in greater numbers...i think thats why back home In Olympia, i was more conservative, i just liked pissing off the hippies...now Im at a very VERY Conservative University, In fact, dare i say, the most conservative University in the Country? And for some reason I just cant help but wear my Obama button as much as possible. I mean thats not THE reason why I'm going for Obama, but it sure encourages me

If you were actually at the most conservative university and you wore an Obama button you'd be dead.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Other randomness:
    -I got a verbal warning from the police for canvassing the CU dorms because some prick called the cops and told them we were "entering rooms unasked" which constitutes breaking and entering. They took down my info so I'm kind of afraid to go canvass the dorms again for fear of actually getting arrested/ticketed. Anyone know if they keep 'verbal warning' information somewhere in case something like that happened again.

As long as you aren't entering rooms unasked (I'll assume the guy was lying) you should be fine. I'm pretty sure B&E isn't a "ticketing" offense, so any actual charge of it should get you a public defender. And I'm pretty sure the prosecution would have a hard time meeting their burden when the entirety of their evidence is "this college guy totally says he did it."

mcdermott on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Other randomness:

As long as you aren't entering rooms unasked (I'll assume the guy was lying) you should be fine. I'm pretty sure B&E isn't a "ticketing" offense, so any actual charge of it should get you a public defender. And I'm pretty sure the prosecution would have a hard time meeting their burden when the entirety of their evidence is "this college guy totally says he did it."

Yea but thats the sort of shit I don't really need to be worrying or dealing with when trying to help run this campaign. Also I think they could still charge me with trespassing because we aren't technically allowed in the dorms.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2008
    Other randomness:

Yea but thats the sort of shit I don't really need to be worrying or dealing with when trying to help run this campaign. Also I think they could still charge me with trespassing because we aren't technically allowed in the dorms.
    Thats your issue.

Don't go into the dorms themselves; spend a few hours middle of the day in the quads or the breezeways; you will catch tons more people, even if only for a few seconds.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What would the most conservative university be, anyway? I would say Patrick Henry but I'm not well versed on politically-skewed colleges.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    That would make a good RPG map with the blue being land and the red being sea.

Geologically unlikely.

God, we are such geeks.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
This discussion has been closed.