Options

Hack and Slash... Played out and boring?

2»

• Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    castle crashers, man.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eqQmCbuvTjs

castle crashers.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BQ_zRJ2S-lc&mode=related&search=

:lol:

This is one of the many games that makes me want to get a 360.

This had better come out for the PS2 or GC or I'll cry.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    SnowconeSnowcone Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    If you consider Dynasty/Samurai Warriors hack 'n slash then heck no. Koei has managed to put out slight revisions of the same game for years now and everytime one comes out I feel compelled to spend way too much time building up every single damn character in the game as high as possible. It's a sickness I tell you.

Snowcone on
  • Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    mindless hacking and slashing (or slashing and hacking), when done in digestible intervals, is always fun.

etoychest on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    castle crashers, man.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eqQmCbuvTjs

castle crashers.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BQ_zRJ2S-lc&mode=related&search=

This is one of the many games that makes me want to get a 360.
    GAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Gauntlet Legends gave my roommates in college and me something to bond with. My girlfriend plays Samurai Warriors 2 with me as a way to vent.

So for me, no...the genre is alive and it is kicking.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    LightReaperLightReaper Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I will always enjoy Hack and Slash games, ALWAYS.

LightReaper on
  • Options
    SodaSoda Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The two big name superhero hack and slashes coming out soon both look good.

Soda on
  • Options
    matt7718matt7718 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Has combat in hack & slashes ever been that involving? I thought the appeal was in trying to create your ideal character through equipment & skills. Combat is just to let you see whether or not your character build was doing well or not (oh and to hopefully watch your character cut down hordes of enemies effortlessly).

Agreed. The idea of a hack n slash is to make your charcter so awesome that combat is relatively easy.

I know that if combat gets difficult, i just find a character build that makes it awesome. I dont care how I kill, I just want to kill.

matt7718 on
    mattsig.jpg
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I played Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2 and Champions of Norrath with friends and had a blast. Good fun killing stuff. And Two Towers GBA was a bunch of fun too. Multiplayer was hard as hell though.

And oh yeah, X-Men Legends with 4 players was great. The drop-in, drop-out multiplayer came in handy.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Iz-GOodIz-GOod Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Isn't Castle Crashers more of a beat-em-up?

Also, Hellgate London is surely going to be a hack and slash hit. I just hope my comp will be able to take it.

Iz-GOod on
    Spizler wrote:
    Also, those green squares can go to hell, along with the tiny purple triangles that like to spawn right next to me while I'm trying to evade a horde of those pink splitters.
    TekkenUserBarIz-GOod.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    What a lot of people don't realize is that there is an essential schism between people who enjoy games like Diablo, and to some extent MMOs, and people who don't. I fall into the latter category, but I used to be guy who played Disgaea and FFT for 100 hours and built up characters to the highest possible level.

There's something enjoyable about the act of building, progressing, or developing, even if it's easy or repetitive. I can't really quantify it beyond that. I know that I'm hella burnt out on it, and it provides only minimal enjoyment and must be accompanied by actual depth of gameplay mechanics; depth of character development isn't enough for me anymore. I would say I'm in the minority though, judging by the success of games like Diablo 2 and WoW and pretty much every MMO or RPG or combination thereof.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    At least with Diablo 2 it didn't feel like grinding for the sake of grinding, the leveling up was just a side effect of my getting to X dungeon/boss.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    At least with Diablo 2 it didn't feel like grinding for the sake of grinding, the leveling up was just a side effect of my getting to X dungeon/boss.

What about killing Mephisto for the zillionth time for an item.

"Drop. Drop. BLUES! BLUES! FUCK THIS GAME! Just...one...more.."

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited October 2006

What about killing Mephisto for the zillionth time for an item.

"Drop. Drop. BLUES! BLUES! FUCK THIS GAME! Just...one...more.."

Cowzz 001
    Cowzz 002
    Cowzz 003
    Cowzz 153

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I feel like I'm the only person here who doesn't play Diablo 2 to get item drops. I love making unothodox or interesting characters in hardcore mode and seeing how far I can get with them. If I grab a uniqe item, well that's cool but I enjoy the experience of playing the game rather than getting rewarded for playing it. for instance, one day I was hanging around the chat rooms for an hour trying to find people who wanted to trade for my uber-uniqe items and such that I had found, had been given to me over the last few months and had no use for. After two hours of trying to trade I thought 'fuck this', made a game called 'FREE UNIQES' and started throwing uniqe items everywhere while the scavengers hoarded them up. Then I did it twice more with my other two mules.

After I got that load off my back I felt a lot better, got back to playing my mellmancer and started bonking bad guys on the head with a massive sword that could cast firewalls. Good times. I think I got to at least act 5 with that guy before trying a new build.

Urge to play D2..... rising.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    TrichomeTrichome Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Zy-El

diablo 2 1.09b or d mod.

"-Characters can level up to level 10,000 - yes, level ten thousand"

"-No experience penalty for dying on any difficulty"

"-Skill level maximums have been increased from 20 to 100"

"-Belts, gloves, boots, charms, rings and amulets are now socket-able
    -Thrown weapons are socket-able
    -Charms are socket-able
    -Added four new charm types - tall, quad, hex, narrow
    -Charms can have runewords
    -Some runewords include gems and jewels"

Infinite sharable and personal stash space...

the list goes on and on and i think i'll be playing this game for the rest of my life.

More Zy-El Mod Details

Trichome on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I really depends on the game and what they do to improve on the formula to me. If they just add more weapons/classes/quests/etc then I find it to get a bit dull and repetitive. However, I really enjoyed the Bard's Tale on the PS2 simply because it had great voice acting, a good sense of humor, and the ability to summon helpers by song was very well done. So, I guess they can still be fun to me, it just takes the right approach.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Figures this thread rises to the top just after I make a TQ game on. Shame on you. Shame. >.>

I think that much of the genre's appeal is that it is so simple. I enjoy single-player a great deal, but only for like two hours at the end of a week. After that it gets tedious, but before that it's all kinds of therapeutic. Multiplayer is a little better, for some reason.

I've heard really good things about the Two Towers GBA game. If I had more friends with GBAs, I'd probably go out and get it. In the meantime I should probably locate a copy of D2 and expansion. I didn't get anywhere near enough playtime out of that game the first time around. Fond memories of D1 on Playstation though.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Damn it. Now I'm gonna have to install Diablo or the sequel.

The only game I'm really waiting for next year is Hellgate: London.

Two of the major features I look for in a hack n' slash are randomly generated areas and randomly placed monsters (with random drops). That's sadly lacking in most PC based hack n' slash games.

Doronron on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    varland wrote:
    Houk wrote:
    Kami wrote:
    Houk wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    Kami wrote:
    This thread is hilarious, simply because I just got done re-installing Diablo II/expansion, and playing over Battle.net for a few hours.

I've done it year after year, and it's always pretty fulfilling, and always highly nostalgic.
    Diablo II came out like around the time the PS2 did, how can you have nostalgia for a current gen game? o_O
    The same way people get nostalgic about the Dreamcast.
    I remember playing Diablo 2 in high school. I've since graduated from college and gotten a real job. It more than qualifies for nostalgia certification.

Exactly. It reminds me of a more simple time in my life.

Hell, I even remember writing the day I beat Diablo inside of my closet doorframe, with permanent marker, so if I ever moved out of that house (which I did), that one achievement would stay with it, enshrined in that room. <3
    I was actually playing D2 when 9/11 happened. Came out of a map into the chatroom and saw everyone going crazy about who-knows-what, turn on the tv and see the towers burning. Not a cool memory.
    But you were saving the world from Satan, a few towers falling is nothing in comparison.

Heh. My flatmate was playing Counterstrike when it happened, so we didnt pay any attention to people yelling about terrorists attacking.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I dont know about the rest of you but all my dicks are cumming for Hellgate London.. (when ever the fuck its coming out.)

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    At the moment, I'm thinking about reinstalling Fate, but my firewall and security hate the way it sets itself up. Really don't want to turn all that shit off just to play a Diablo clone.

On the other hand, I've played far too much Diablo to actually sit down and enjoy running the same set of quests over and over, despite the random maps.

Also played too much of Darkstone.

Hmm...

Doronron on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's creepy when you think of something you were about to post only to find that you already did on the first page.

STOP PLAYING WITH MY MIND!

Any GC games I should look out for in this genre? Any coming for Wii in the future?

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I got sick of this genre after the first Diablo. I hated D2 like SIN, and it hasn't really been able to grab me since. I tried Titan Quest, but it just feels so pointless in the longrun.

I don't really mind the genre per se, as it's basically just a natural evolution of Gauntlet, but it has been real depressing in recent years to see new screenshots of a great looking top-down RPG and then having your hopes for the next Baldur's Gate/Arcanum/etc. crushed when the words hack 'n' slash appear.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    varland wrote:
    Houk wrote:
    Kami wrote:
    Houk wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    Kami wrote:
    This thread is hilarious, simply because I just got done re-installing Diablo II/expansion, and playing over Battle.net for a few hours.

I've done it year after year, and it's always pretty fulfilling, and always highly nostalgic.
    Diablo II came out like around the time the PS2 did, how can you have nostalgia for a current gen game? o_O
    I remember playing Diablo 2 in high school. I've since graduated from college and gotten a real job. It more than qualifies for nostalgia certification.

Hell, I even remember writing the day I beat Diablo inside of my closet doorframe, with permanent marker, so if I ever moved out of that house (which I did), that one achievement would stay with it, enshrined in that room. <3
    I was actually playing D2 when 9/11 happened. Came out of a map into the chatroom and saw everyone going crazy about who-knows-what, turn on the tv and see the towers burning. Not a cool memory.
    But you were saving the world from Satan, a few towers falling is nothing in comparison.

Heh. My flatmate was playing Counterstrike when it happened, so we didnt pay any attention to people yelling about terrorists attacking.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Silpheed wrote:
    varland wrote:
    Houk wrote:
    Kami wrote:
    Houk wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    Kami wrote:

Am I evil for laughing at that?

Couscous on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I really fucking enjoyed Diablo 2 and I jump at anything that resembles it. Right now I really love the game FATE. Its basically Diablo 1 in 3D. But it is fucking awesome. Maybe a little to random at times but I love killing things and getting neat items from their corpses and then killing more to get better stuff.

Another good for on the go is Lord of the Rings: Rotk for GBA. That one is awesome because its Diablo 2 with LotR flavor in bite sized form.

I also liked Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes but its not that random with the items.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    FOR FUCKS SAKE!

All the "Next gen" consoles are released, thus making them CURRENT GEN.

PS2 is fucking LAST gen.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Endomatic wrote:
    FOR FUCKS SAKE!

All the "Next gen" consoles are released, thus making them CURRENT GEN.

PS2 is fucking LAST gen.

Eh, not to me. PS2 is still current-gen in my book.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Is it just the crazy store I happened to be in the other day, or is that Diablo 2+Expansion special combo still $40?

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Darlan wrote:
    Is it just the crazy store I happened to be in the other day, or is that Diablo 2+Expansion special combo still $40?

Unfortunately, it still is.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Darlan wrote:

I'll definitely give it a try when it's down to twenty..well, if it goes down to twenty.

Darlan on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I dislike threads where a person reveals a personal opinon then uses it to justify the death of an entire genre. You are bored. Great.
    Wow is basically an elongated diablo 2. Argue all you want, its true. It's why most of us signed up to the game. Hey, I can log on, fight for a few hours, get a nice weapon, level once or twice, get some talent points....
    Hey I can start the game, fight for a few hours, kill a boss, get some nice rares, maybe a uniques, up my skills....
    But wait, don't you kill diablo lots of times to get lots of items?
    Molten core.
    7 million subscribers.
    Hack n slash is going strong.
    If they ever make a diablo 3, it will sell like hotcakes.
    Hellgate: London will prolly do the same.
    This genre will never die, there will always be those people not heavily into games who want to tool around with some killin and lootin in their few hours after work because they have little else to do.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Darlan wrote:
    Darlan wrote:

I'll definitely give it a try when it's down to twenty..well, if it goes down to twenty.

It's easily worth $40, IMO.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Darlan wrote:
    Darlan wrote:

It's easily worth $40, IMO.
    You're probably right, but I just know that with a game this old the price will drop right after I buy it and that period in which I may get the difference back has past. Well, maybe not "know" so much as "don't want to risk."

Darlan on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    it's not worth that much anymore. don't do it.

I love hack and slash games. I like being able to go semi-mindless, especially because if they are done really well I end up regretting how little attention I am paying within a few minutes of any given point.

In a way this might be my favorite genre. Maybe only second to srpg

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    TalousTalous Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I used to think I prefered the click-click-click system of Diablo II better... but now without question, I've decided I like the whole NWN automated attack thing.

Talous on
    Glampgrotz - Black Orc - Ulthuan TSM
    SS13 Rules Post
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Does Crystal Chronicles count as hack and slash? If so, it is probably the only one I like. Something about the controls made it seem less boring than the others I have played.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    At the moment, I've got the Infinite Dungeons module for Neverwinter Nights and Fate installed ony my hard drive.

Thinking about pulling Fate off the computer, though. Every time I start it up, I end up sitting on it for eight hour sessions. It's ludicrously easy to clear a dungeon level, but if you die, you're garaunteed to take at least an hour or so to get back exactly where you were when you died -- provided you didn't choose the option to respawn at your point of death for the cost of XP and Fame. That's a fucking insidious game mechanic. Especially when you consider the game is just grinding for grinding's sake -- you don't even get a story line to enjoy in the process.

Infinite Dungeons, though, is a hell of a lot of fun for the $6 I paid. Great way to just toy around with DnD builds while looking at fairly interesting Dungeons (as compared to Fate).

Doronron on