As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] PAX & Labor Day Weekend

• Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Skinnay wrote: »
    oh so you're just a fair weather forum goer then huh!? ^_^

No. Not at all. Just got really busy after PAX 08. Really busy! Anyway I'll have to start developing the PAX 09 forum badges now :)

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    well, for the rest of us, PAX fever lasts year 'round!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »

Apologies for not being as hard-core as your goodself then. But hey, 10 month planning is still something to shout about.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    does anybody else equate pax and labor day weekend to chocolate and peanut butter? except, with pax being much more awesome solo than chocolate, but still...

i equate pax on labor day weekend to a snickers bar .. . where pax is the chocolate and gooey caramel and labor day is the rest of it. . . .. *drool* . . . if you'll excuse me i need to go eat a snickers now

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    does anybody else equate pax and labor day weekend to chocolate and peanut butter? except, with pax being much more awesome solo than chocolate, but still...

i equate pax on labor day weekend to a snickers bar .. . where pax is the chocolate and gooey caramel and labor day is the rest of it. . . .. *drool* . . . if you'll excuse me i need to go eat a snickers now

I don't think he'll be very happy about that

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SkinnaySkinnay Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    kropotkin wrote: »

Apologies for not being as hard-core as your goodself then. But hey, 10 month planning is still something to shout about.

pshh i won't even be able to go to pax 09 and i'm still here! lol

Skinnay on
    I'm Awesome!!!
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

dude, you'd give labor day the nougat? never! pax gets the nougat, the chocolate, the caramel, and the peanuts! labor days gets the awesome wrapper!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Labor Day Weekend is the air inside the wrapper. You open up the deliciousness of pax, and get a whiff of Holy Shit day off monday, too! and just get all tingly

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    skwisgaar Skwigelfskwisgaar Skwigelf Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As somebody who is in High School, how is this going to conflict with the starting date for the Seattle/Shoreline School Systems? Last year I had less than a week to prepare for school after the con ended, now this new schedule is really making me nervous.

Any thoughts from Khoo or other people that have authority over this issue?

skwisgaar Skwigelf on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    "Let me be the first to tell you you look like shit".
    DJFenderStradt.png
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hooray! A date for PAX '09! I can already start to feel the PAX joy swelling up inside me.

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    As somebody who is in High School, how is this going to conflict with the starting date for the Seattle/Shoreline School Systems? Last year I had less than a week to prepare for school after the con ended, now this new schedule is really making me nervous.

People are coming from across the world, and you're worried that you only have a week to prepare for a school in the same area as PAX?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Couldn't you just spend the week before PAX preparing as well? I'm not familiar with your school system up there, but if it's like mine was we'd just show up. Hardly any preparation necessary.

redhalo on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm kind of curious about how one needs to prepare for high school. Altering sleep pattern? Reading all your textbooks in advance? IIRC, most high school districts that aren't on a year-round system tend to start school in the week following Labor Day, so my guess is you will have the same timeframe this year as you did last year. Really though... how do you prepare?

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    i remember a day we picked up a schedule and books before school, and then you show up first day. that's about it.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    well, you probably go out with your parents and get some new clothes, school supplies, and your books. beyond that, like has been mentioned, adjusting your sleep schedule may be a factor, but compared to college preparations, getting ready for high school is a day or two, at best.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    GeneralsGenerals Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I recently checked the PAX annoucement on top (It flew over my head when I constantly read the PA forums).

So is Penny Arcade Expo going to be held every year on a labour day weekend from now on? Kinda sucks when there's another anime convention in the same region held on the same weekend. (My local con got moved to June for 09)

Generals on
    jsn: and there was some dude(note that: DUDE) dressed up as Mai from KOF
    Jeff: I see
    jsn: and I was like "I wonder how he goes to the washroom, does he just like...brush his loincloth to the side or what?"
    jsn: friend was like "DUDE he's BEHIND YOU"
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    unfortunately PAX will always interfere with something somebody somewhere wants to do, no matter what time of the year it's held.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Obviously, cloning ourselves is the only answer.

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Generals wrote: »
    I recently checked the PAX annoucement on top (It flew over my head when I constantly read the PA forums).

So is Penny Arcade Expo going to be held every year on a labour day weekend from now on? Kinda sucks when there's another anime convention in the same region held on the same weekend. (My local con got moved to June for 09)
    Which anime convention is that?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Aki-con or something like that? I think it's down in Oregon. There are always tons of con's going on in or around Seattle, though.

MeeOk on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ah. Yes, I stand corrected. I keep getting Kumori-con and Aki-con mixed up. Whoops.

MeeOk on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    sluggy freelance guy is always at dragoncon. which means I'll never meet him. which I suppose is good, because of what his fans do.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    BigRed wrote: »

D*Con hosts pretty much any sort of geek culture beyond gaming, such as Sci-Fi and Fantasy, and is on the exact other side of the country. The move of PAX to Labor Day may splash their pool, but it's not going to completely wreck them.

Also, four day conventions are awesome.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    redhalo wrote: »

Couldn't you just spend the week before PAX preparing as well? I'm not familiar with your school system up there, but if it's like mine was we'd just show up. Hardly any preparation necessary.

I guess I worded that wrong. I am worried that the PAX dates and the dates for school will overlap. This year class started on September 3rd. Next year's PAX might be cutting a bit close.

skwisgaar Skwigelf on
    DJFenderStradt.png
  • Options
    GeneralsGenerals Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I guess I worded that wrong. I am worried that the PAX dates and the dates for school will overlap. This year class started on September 3rd. Next year's PAX might be cutting a bit close.

I had University starting right after Labour Day and had no issues with it. The stuff/academics coming out from uni pretty much makes high school look like kindergarten, unless of course your school is some very special school. And to add to that, summer school for me ended two weeks before PAX and I had two essays that were due the following week.

Either way, no big deal.

Generals on
    jsn: and there was some dude(note that: DUDE) dressed up as Mai from KOF
    Jeff: I see
    jsn: and I was like "I wonder how he goes to the washroom, does he just like...brush his loincloth to the side or what?"
    jsn: friend was like "DUDE he's BEHIND YOU"
  • Options
    edited December 2008

if you need anyone to talk to your mom to explain to her why it's important to miss the first days of class, let me know. i'm good with moms! :lol:

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That would be cool. Even though my mom can be pretty lenient, I don't know how she would react to me missing school for a con.

Even though it's the BEST con...ever...

skwisgaar Skwigelf on
    DJFenderStradt.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008

if you need anyone to talk to your mom to explain to her why it's important to miss the first days of class, let me know. i'm good with moms! :lol:

i don't know if he wants anyone sleeping with his mom! haha :winky:

Skinnay on
    I'm Awesome!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    COCK-BLOCK_GREEN-SMALL_1.jpg

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    haha he's still in high school! is he even supposed to know about sex yet anyways? he'll probably just think you're wrestling... go for it!!! haha

Skinnay on
    I'm Awesome!!!
  • Options
    spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dang, I was looking forward to it not being on Labor Day weekend so I could go to DragonCon.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    STAY AWAY FROM MY MOM!

skwisgaar Skwigelf on
    DJFenderStradt.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Skinnay wrote: »
    haha he's still in high school! is he even supposed to know about sex yet anyways? he'll probably just think you're wrestling... go for it!!! haha

somebody was apparently home schooled........

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    STAY AWAY FROM MY MOM!

ok, but no guarantees she'll stay away from me. not sure if you've heard, but apparently i rank pretty high on the sexyometer. :winky:

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    also... if you're anything like what you cosplayed as last year... you're a bad ass and chicks dig badasses lol

Skinnay on
    I'm Awesome!!!
  • Options
    spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, I just bought my flight.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    spydey wrote: »
    Well, I just bought my flight.

awesome. beer time!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    as my great great grandpa once said.... "it's noon somewhere!" haha

Skinnay on
    I'm Awesome!!!
  • Options
    Ezekiel Zelias ChaosEzekiel Zelias Chaos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My grandpa just drank himself from 14 all the way to 75.. I can't believe he's still alive..

Anyway..
    Speaking of PAX fever.. I just realized that I can go this year! This is news to me, as before there was something stupid going on.. this date change has made 2009 worth while.

Ezekiel Zelias Chaos on
    heh heh heh
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
This discussion has been closed.