Radical femi[chat]

• Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Motivate me to get out and run.
    Your dwelling is on fire!

It's a swarm of angry bees that set it on fire!

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    I am the worst Overlord ever.
    Sp....Spawn more....?

Oh, no, I have no trouble completing quests and stuff. I haven't died once yet. I'm just really bad at being evil. When I was still figuring out the controls, I accidentally kicked a villager and made myself feel bad.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fidelity! Apparently!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

There's a lynch mob commin' to get you

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »

You're... You... You're just swell.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Hurm, apparently I need to do something with my 401k soon 'cause I quit my job.

I've got no fucking clue what to do with it.
    Roll it over into a Roth IRA.

Okay!

And um, erm...how would I do this?
    Talk to a financial advisor. Warren Buffet said in an op-ed to buy stocks now, so I'd suggest a mutual fund. Then, just leave it there for 40 years, then retire.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »

This is why I bought a DDR mat.

Don't make me laugh.

Want to see who can have the best mile time in three weeks?

My personal best last year was 7:10. I think you're probably already a lot more fit than I am so might just be asking for a spanking here.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Talk to a financial advisor. Warren Buffet said in an op-ed to buy stocks now, so I'd suggest a mutual fund. Then, just leave it there for 40 years, then retire.

I am terrified of the stock market and know jack all when it comes to economics.

So uh, I'll probably just trust you on this?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Don't make me laugh.

Yeah well his DDRing ass is going to get in better shape than your pathetic do nothing ass.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

It's funny because Elks is black. (At least I think he is, no?)

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

It's funny because Elks is black. (At least I think he is, no?)
    Also living in Tennessee.

Bama on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFlQNtL8F9s

Man I must be slow on the uptake but this video is awesome!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    gundam470 wrote: »

Don't make me laugh.

Want to see who can have the best mile time in three weeks?

My personal best last year was 7:10. I think you're probably already a lot more fit than I am so might just be asking for a spanking here.

I can do 3 in 17ish, but haven't done a solo mile in a while.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh fun now I get to navigate stupid websites to figure out how to roll crap over.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was happy when I could do two in 15:40 you freak.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I am terrified of the stock market and know jack all when it comes to economics.

You're in your twenties, so what you're looking for is a small-cap fund of some sort. You want something high-risk, high-growth.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You're in your twenties, so what you're looking for is a small-cap fund of some sort. You want something high-risk, high-growth.

Okay.

Does it matter what company I roll it over into? Right now my stuff is with Fidelity. And I can only seem to find options on their site to roll it over into a Fidelity IRA.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    gundam470 wrote: »
    I was happy when I could do two in 15:40 you freak.

Yeah 3 in 17 is pretty damn good, less then 6 minutes per mile. Best I ever got in a solo time in highschool was like 6:50 and that was really pushing my flabby ass.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Okay.

Does it matter what company I roll it over into? Right now my stuff is with Fidelity. And I can only seem to find options on their site to roll it over into a Fidelity IRA.
    Call them. You should be able to roll it over into one of their IRA funds as a Roth.

I think my Roth is through them.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Okay.

Leave it with Fidelity. I have Fidelity for my 401k and I find their customer service very helpful. Just call them up, they can walk you through it.

And by the way, my 401k investments are broken down as follows:

40% - S&P index fund
    20% - High-growth small-cap fund
    20% - Foreign index fund
    20% - Federal bond fund

I personally think that's a good way to do it.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Also, this is three times in a row now that my debit card has been declined.

What the hell. Guess I'll have to call bank of america too.

*sigh* I really just want to be working on my papers right now too.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Feral wrote: »

Okay.

Leave it with Fidelity. I have Fidelity for my 401k and I find their customer service very helpful. Just call them up, they can walk you through it.

40% - S&P index fund
    20% - Foreign index fund
    20% - Federal bond fund

Feral is an academic elitist who only cares about what happens on Wall Street, but I am a straight-talker who cares more about what happens on Main Street.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Okay.

40% - S&P index fund
    20% - Foreign index fund
    20% - Federal bond fund

Fuck that. That's a great way to do it when you're 50. When you're 25, you want it all in high-growth small-cap funds. Historically, they have never been outperformed over any twenty-year period (i.e. once you have less than twenty years until retirement, you start pulling out from them).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    IreneDMcCain is back again

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fuck that. That's a great way to do it when you're 50. When you're 25, you want it all in high-growth small-cap funds. Historically, they have never been outperformed over any twenty-year period (i.e. once you have less than twenty years until retirement, you start pulling out from them).

Good point. My financial goals aren't typical for a 30-year-old.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited October 2008

Sorry that I'm so retarded about this stuff, but, is that what I tell them when I want it? "Roll my stuff over into a roth IRA with full of small cap high-growth funds? Thanks?"

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

potw_mormons1.jpg

Are you going to heaven when you die?

Sami on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    IreneDMcCain is back again

Here's what we're gonna do to fix the economy: First we're gonna give you all some money...

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Sorry that I'm so retarded about this stuff, but, is that what I tell them when I want it? "Roll my stuff over into a roth IRA with full of small cap high-growth funds? Thanks?"
    Talk to them, tell them you don't know much about this stuff, and they should help walk you through it. I'm just telling you that what you're going to want is something high-risk, because at this point in your life, if you lose it all, it's not a big deal (and is very unlikely to happen, anyhow), but if you hit a home run, it's fucking huge because of the way compound interest works.

Edit: and I'm not trying to make you feel stupid, Inquisitor. I geek out about this stuff, and I realize not everyone does. I'm sure if I ever started talking about how to play bass, you'd spank me.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Basically, yeah. Ask them what their small capital high-growth fund is, and they'll tell you, "Oh, that's our XYZ fund" and then you say you want to roll your 401k over into an IRA made up 100% of that fund.

Feral on

• Options
    edited October 2008

Feral, there's nothing wrong with being risk-averse.

Hell I didn't used to spec in +crit talents because I didn't think that talent points were worth spending on something that wasn't a sure thing. +20% to Fort? Now that's specing you can count on!

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Frederick Chopin was obsessed with ladybugs

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Don't make me laugh.

Yeah well his DDRing ass is going to get in better shape than your pathetic do nothing ass.

:P

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Not 100% though. Hedge it with 80/20 smallcap/large cap. (Or swap large caps out with something stable, like municipal bonds.)

I'd also consider plopping your money into index funds if you trust the market over money managers. Then you won't have to worry about those extra fees and turnover charges eating away at your returns.

Edit: Thanatos makes a good point about betting the house on small caps at your age. It's true - it's a good thing to ramp up the risk at this age because you don't have that much too lose, and you have much more time to make up any losses. But not everyone can deal with that ping-ponging return graph, so if you're a little more risk-adverse, go 80%/20%. If you want to keep it simple, Fidelity has many different types of fund-of-funds (basically a mutual fund that invests in a range of other mutual funds, based on your risk profile and age) you can ask your local advisor about.)

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Hell I didn't used to spec in +crit talents because I didn't think that talent points were worth spending on something that wasn't a sure thing. +20% to Fort? Now that's specing you can count on!

... I just don't know what to say.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

There is, in fact, something wrong with being risk-averse when you're in your twenties for a retirement fund that you're not going to touch until you're in your mid-sixties. It's basically throwing money away.

Risk is good. When I say that historically, high-risk small-cap funds have never been outperformed over a twenty-year period, I'm not joking. Investing in anything else in that particular situation is a mistake.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Talk to them, tell them you don't know much about this stuff, and they should help walk you through it. I'm just telling you that what you're going to want is something high-risk, because at this point in your life, if you lose it all, it's not a big deal (and is very unlikely to happen, anyhow), but if you hit a home run, it's fucking huge because of the way compound interest works.

Edit: and I'm not trying to make you feel stupid, Inquisitor. I geek out about this stuff, and I realize not everyone does. I'm sure if I ever started talking about how to play bass, you'd spank me.

Oh, don't worry, you're not making me feel dumb. Just my lack of knowledge in general. Thank you a ton, both you and feral for your advice.

I just wowed my father by talking to him about my 401k plans now. :lol:

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    And yeah, my 401k is like..$500. I can throw it to the wind!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Not 100% though. Hedge it with 80/20 smallcap/large cap. (Or swap large caps out with something stable, like municipal bonds.)

I'd also consider plopping your money into index funds if you trust the market over money managers. Then you won't have to worry about those extra fees and turnover charges eating away at your returns.
    No, you just have to worry about the expenses for buying and selling stocks to keep all the percentages right.

And there's no reason for an 80/20 split with large-cap stocks on something that you're not going to be able to touch until you're in your mid-sixties. While there is no such thing as a sure thing, it's about as close to a sure thing as you can get.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Irene, how do you get that sig from MGC.net?

EDIT: NM.

Nova_C on
This discussion has been closed.