Options

Radical femi[chat]

• Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You know what I miss?

Studio Ghibli. They need to make more movies.

Sami on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You guys should be reading John Hodgman's blog http://areasofmyexpertise.blogspot.com/

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Okay, that's done.

Now to figure out why the hell no one is accepting my debit card anymore.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Muwahaha, I just Godwinned a thread.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Sami wrote: »
    You know what I miss?

Studio Ghibli. They need to make more movies.

Maybe there's some you missed on their back log that you can entertain yourself with?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Ghibli#Films_.28Theatrical_.26_TV.2C_excluding_Ghibli_Museum_releases.29

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Talk to a financial advisor. Warren Buffet said in an op-ed to buy stocks now, so I'd suggest a mutual fund. Then, just leave it there for 40 years, then retire.
    I am terrified of the stock market and know jack all when it comes to economics.

So uh, I'll probably just trust you on this?
    You're in your twenties, so what you're looking for is a small-cap fund of some sort. You want something high-risk, high-growth.
    Not 100% though. Hedge it with 80/20 smallcap/large cap. (Or swap large caps out with something stable, like municipal bonds.)

I'd also consider plopping your money into index funds if you trust the market over money managers. Then you won't have to worry about those extra fees and turnover charges eating away at your returns.
    No, you just have to worry about the expenses for buying and selling stocks to keep all the percentages right.

And there's no reason for an 80/20 split with large-cap stocks on something that you're not going to be able to touch until you're in your mid-sixties. While there is no such thing as a sure thing, it's about as close to a sure thing as you can get.

Sure, see my edit for more clarification. I'm used to advising young people who went o_O when I suggested going balls-to-the-wall high-risk at their age, so 80/20 was always a good compromise to get them to at least start investing for the future. And yes, buying-and-selling expenses are always a consideration if you wanted to rebalance your porfolio every year, but that's not something you necessarily have to do.

Anyways, yes, if you can stomach the risk, Inq, small cap is the way to go. Make sure the advisor explains the fees involved, because a front-end loaded fee is your best bet if you're investing long term.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So this is actually a kinda sad story, but I couldn't help but laugh a little bit at the sheer irony of the headline "Math mistake sees hundreds of teachers laid off."

Nocturne on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ghibli has a DS game coming out, yeah?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    that's some quality blogging right there

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh god that Vin Diesel video is awesome.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nocturne wrote: »
    So this is actually a kinda sad story, but I couldn't help but laugh a little bit at the sheer irony of the headline "Math mistake sees hundreds of teachers laid off."

Holy crap, I thought it was gonna be like "Oops we miscalculated our costs and so fired a lot of people we didn't have to, here are your jobs back." Instead it's like the complete opposite in the worst way possible.

D:D:D:

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hm, CNN reporting that the recent drop in oil prices will cause massive layoffs at places like Exxon.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    So I took an IQ test today. Wonder how that'll turn out.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Has anyone seen that 'Sons of Anarchy' series? Is it any good?

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Res wrote: »

You failed

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »

You failed

No, he got a 71, which is passing!

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You got a seven.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    All of my friends got to go to a concert and I didn't.

Waaaaaah.

Also, I totally failed a maths test today.

Booooo.

Tav on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Chose Carnival of Souls (original version) instead. Candace Hilligoss looks a lot like Uma Thurman.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The last time I took an IQ test was in the 1st grade.

I'm kinda curious to take an accurate one (I'm skeptical of pretty much all online ones) for comparison, and partially because I don't remember exactly what I got back then.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is Feral on

I must speak to him

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I'm kinda curious to take an accurate one (I'm skeptical of pretty much all online ones) for comparison, and partially because I don't remember exactly what I got back then.

No such thing as an accurate IQ test. All are rather subjective.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    AC/DC tickets sold out in an hour this morning. A teacher in my school gave his class extra homework because he missed out on a ticket because he had class with them.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So guys, this Saturday I'm (hopefully) going to an Obama rally, and next Saturday I'm going to a Metallica concert.

Awesome couple of weekends going on here.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    Is Feral on

I must speak to him

His answer will be "Yes, and lube"

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Does that mean that there is also no such thing as an inaccurate IQ test?

mrflippy on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Burn after reading was pretty insane. I liked it. Heeehehehe.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    *18 minutes later*

Tav on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    My dad is sending me texts. I find this very awkward.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Wow.

I really don't know how I'd respond if either one of my parents sent me a text.

I'd probably ask them why they're nagging my brother to help them with their phone.

The Raging Platypus on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    And there's no reason for an 80/20 split with large-cap stocks on something that you're not going to be able to touch until you're in your mid-sixties. While there is no such thing as a sure thing, it's about as close to a sure thing as you can get.

Is there some sort of option in the US to pull cash out of a 401k without penalty to buy a home or anything like that? Because if that's the case, there are plenty of good reasons (ok, one) to not be 100% high risk with the retirement fund.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    mrflippy wrote: »

Does that mean that there is also no such thing as an inaccurate IQ test?

If all IQ tests are inaccurate as a result of being subjective, then the statement 'there is also no such thing as an inaccurate test' is incorrect. You can't have both, the conditions are mutually exclusive. :P

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Wow.

I'd probably ask them why they're nagging my brother to help them with their phone.

It took me 45 minutes to help my dad set up a hotmail account and he forgot the password the next day :(

Tav on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    an_alt wrote: »

Is there some sort of option in the US to pull cash out of a 401k without penalty to buy a home or anything like that? Because if that's the case, there are plenty of good reasons (ok, one) to not be 100% high risk with the retirement fund.

That option does exist for Roth IRA's. I don't remember the specifics (it's been awhile since I was working in the industry), but I believe you can pull out up to 10k towards a 1st home purchase.

There's certain criteria that has to be met before you can do that though. I'll have to look it up later when I have the time.

The Raging Platypus on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    hello misters and missesses

MikeMan on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Medopine wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    It's like being in high school again in here.

Novaaaaaa make my tank cycle faster

Also I am pretty sure I going to transfer my 68 rogue and 70 priest to IceCrown

Ask your LFS if they stock Biospira. It is literally the bacteria you need. However, because of this, it needs to be refrigerated and has a short expiry time, so check the package before you buy it.

And that makes me happy. :) I'm glad you're enjoying the new guild enough that you want to bring your mains over.

There are a few people I know on my old server but I have no desire to raid on any kind of regular basis and they're mostly in a raiding guild.

Mostly I want cool people to talk to and group with while levelling up. Gotta get that rogue to 70!

Medopine on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008

Wow.

I'm glad my parents can text now. Instead of Dad calling me every five minutes during the Michigan football game, he can just text me instead.

Medopine on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

Wow.

I'm glad my parents can text now. Instead of Dad calling me every five minutes during the Michigan football game, he can just text me instead.

your fam's from michigan?

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »
    hello misters and missesses

Ahoy! It's the cock gobbler! How goes?

Passerbye on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mike, my man!

Haphazard on
This discussion has been closed.