As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokémon (Tournament OVER) - Chen Wins! Also TRU Shaymin giveaway Feb. now-14th

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Are not these emerald style move tutors for battle points? I think they are.

Also some of the moves are awesometastic.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You can purchase the moves as many times as you want, and you don't use Battle Points you use the Red, Blue, Green and Yellow shards that you dig up from the Underground.
    Is that an improvement from BP? Depends on how easy it is to dig up hundreds of shards. It'll be annoying i'm sure.

But there are some really cool moves from those Tutors. Earth Power and Vacuum Wave are my favorites.
    There are also some pokemon that get new moves while leveling up in Platinum, like Scizor with Bullet Punch and Bibarel and Steelix with Curse.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Steelix just got a lot better as a physical wall. It's slow already, cutting Speed for Curse isn't going to hurt it one bit.

I'm just happy I got my pre-order all paid for. Now I just have to open Mystery Gift on my copy of Pearl and I'll be able to get two Shaymin.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Whoa Steelix gets Curse now?

Huh, maybe he's worth looking into now.

I mean, he's got two double weaknesses which sucks, but fighting and ground attacks are usually physical.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Cutting its speed is actually pretty useful thanks to STAB Gyro Ball.

and Ground/Steel doesn't have any x4 weaknesses Speed. just some normal weaknesses to Water, Fire, Fighting and Ground.
    and 8 resistances, 1 x4 resistance and 2 immunities.

I'm definitely making one.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh he's Ground/Steel? I thought he was Rock/Steel.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ooh, Ground/Steel. No Poison, no Electric... pity his Sp.Def is so lame.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I know it's a doublepost but...

...Where are all you guys?

Kay2 on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Apparently, not here. But if you want to battle, I can help.

RockinX on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Come to think of it, I've only played Pokekmon Blue and Red (I was Blue, my brother was Red). It was good shit, but I can't find Pearl and Diamond used anywhere.

I'm starting fresh with Platinum next month. :D

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Platinum will be awesome. Diamond and Pearl are around, but they're usually not much cheaper used than they are new.

Also, if you get them used, they'll have a savegame and tons of Pokémon on there and you'll probably be tempted to try and keep some of them, etc. etc.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Don't worry about getting new. All of us here are more than happy to hook you up with particular Pokemon if you have your heart set on one. I, for instance, already have my team of my favs picked out for Platinum.

I wonder how effective the GTS would be for trading Pokemon over. It should work, right?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    No, I don't think so. In order for that to work you'll want 2 DS's for instant transfers, but if you have 2 then why bother with GTS?
    Anything you put up there will probably get snagged before you can reach it.

The few of us that post here often are trustworthy, just ask someone to do those trades with you when you need it.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I would be up for trades to give you stuff.

Or battles.

My main point with preowned, is that you'll maybe save $5, and might have a cart full of dirty hacks.

Pokémon games resell at pretty much the original price. Actually, tons of Nintendo stuff does. GC games only started getting cheap in the last month or two.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    After 2 Sand Attacks, 3 Swords Dances, 20 False Swipes, 20 Spores, 7 Ultra Balls, 58 Timer Balls, and a few turns of switching out and using Potions and Ethers, Mewtwo finally Struggles himself to death.

Fucking bastard.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lawl. Which game was this in? Maybe I should settle down and plough through some Leaf Green today.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Kay wrote: »
    Lawl. Which game was this in? Maybe I should settle down and plough through some Leaf Green today.
    Fire Red. Parasect tries so hard! Damn shame about that speed stat, though.

Wild MEWTWO uses SAFEGUARD!
    Parasect uses SPORE!
    Wild MEWTWO is protected by SAFEGUARD!

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

And I really thought 100 Timer Balls was overdoing it.

EDIT:

Timid #150 Mewtwo: 1-2 / 16-18 / 23-24 / 14 / 20-21 / 15

Hm... Shitty HP but decent defenses... middle of the road Spatk and Speed... Tempting...

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Restart. With a 15 Speed IV, Mewtwo can't outspeed max +Spd Darkrai. You'll need at least 22 Spd.

Also, why not throw Master Balls?

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Already used my Master Ball on some shitty Pokemon.

Let's see, 22+ IV and a Timid nature... A whopping 1.25% chance to encounter such a creature!

Looks like I'll be putting you off for another day, Mewtwo.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well, a method to speed up the proces is to start the battle with a Pokémon (doesn't matter who) to check its Speed. Mewtwo's Speed with a positive nature at lvl 70 with 22+ Spd IV is 222. So use something with 221 Speed and every time Mewtwo doesn't outspeed you, restart and save the time chucking 100 Timer Balls.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    brilliant.jpg

Brilliant!

I'm pretty sure I read about that somewhere previously, but thanks for the reminder.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't suppose anyone's got a careful ditto I could borrow?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Why do people call it the Unknown Dungeon anyway? I'm pretty sure it's always been Cerulean Cave in the games themselves.
    I'd oblige, but I have no wi-fi access at the moment.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I have 3 Careful Dittos apparently. You can have one.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    HAPPY SHAYMIN DAY

art_shaymin.PNG

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    All right, I can't get on right now Chen, but will you be around tonight to do a trade?

And preferably an IV check on the three of 'em so I can get the second best out of them.
    Why do people call it the Unknown Dungeon anyway? I'm pretty sure it's always been Cerulean Cave in the games themselves.

It was definitely called Unknown Dungeon in RBY. If not in-game than in the official player's guide.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It felt more awkward being the only one at Toys R Us downloading Shaymin than if there had been a bunch of little kids around. But whatever, got my little Grass sheep that will be kept in a box forever.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    All right, I can't get on right now Chen, but will you be around tonight to do a trade?

And preferably an IV check on the three of 'em so I can get the second best out of them.

It was definitely called Unknown Dungeon in RBY. If not in-game than in the official player's guide.
    I'm 99% sure that if you open the Town Map while you are in the cave, it will be marked on the map and will be labeled as "Cerulean Cave." It won't appear on the map at all otherwise.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Why am I tempted to make something that has Doublekick as an option? It's just really not that good, is it?

Kay2 on
  • Options
    AggrilAggril Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Toys R Us had a few people there, both for the Shaymin event and apparently to snap up some Wii Fit boards they got in. So I had no issue getting my Shaymin event card (though I did have to delete my old Manaphy Wonder Card to get it, oh well.). Now to get one that has a Modest or Timid nature, and something higher than a 10 in Speed and Special Attack (so far, nothing).

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The time for when I post the new OP is coming. Expect a full reboot of the OP! (although I'll probably use a bit of the stuff that's been on the OP for a while)

RockinX on
  • Options
    AggrilAggril Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Modest #492 Shaymin: 23 / 10 - 13 / 14 - 15 / 22 - 23 / 18 - 19 / 12 - 13

That's good enough for me- right nature, IVs above ten, and is a legend I'll likely never use outside of its silly Sky Formey thing in Platinum. Go go sheep bush Pokemon!

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I got my Shaymins today. The store seemed so empty, it was kinda depressing.

Should I be going for Modest on this as well Rockin? Let me know.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah. Modest will be fine.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Right. I am starting up the breeding again. The one I did at the weekend was easy, I'll do some more this week. Any suggestions on what'd round out my stable? I don't seem to have many that stand out and go 'PICK ME I'M AWESOME!' apart from the usual crew.

Also, I have a problem. Trying to come up with a name for my pair of newest ones. Though one of them's really old, and most of you have faced her anyhow.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If you don't tell us the characteristics or species of your Pokés we can't help you.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It was more a complaint than a request for help, to be honest. But as you asked so nicely...
    What, what? Did you think I'd give you a full IV/EV spread, movelist and species on Pokémon I may use against you guys? :o
    :winky:

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Speaking seriously, I wouldn't ask that which is in spoiler tag.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    S'just a Nidoking to go with my Nidoqueen.

I was thinking of calling them Elvis and Priscilla (previously The Queen, as I couldn't think of anything), but they're currently 'King Elvis' and 'Queen Pris', because I can't fit any more in there. :E

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Maybe The Keen and The Quing?

RockinX on