As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Passchendaele (NSF56K? Historians)

CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Social Entropy++
passchendaeleposterb.jpg

So a little Canadian movie came out this Friday which chronicles the love between Paul Gross and how awesome he is, set upon the backdrop of the Canadian army's struggle to control the town of Passchendaele against Imperial German troops during WWI.

This movie has been severely hyped in Canada (at least in the west) for some time. Mostly because Canada gets little more than a footnote mention in World War movies, but also because WWI usually treated as the redheaded stepchild of the great wars, being viewed as "...a great stepping stone for the franchise, while the sequel really fleshed out the German characters while boasting an even greater special effects budget."

While it's true that WWII sports an excellent cast of characters and wam bam CGI, it truly lacks the heart of it's predecessor. Pampered soldiers tourist-ing around the panoramic European countryside have nothing on the shit that WWI vets had to go through. Mainly:

passchendaele-2.jpg
Trenches

Too tired and cold to dig your own trench? Stick around long enough and luckily the enemy artillery will do it for you!

295094_3.JPG
Foot Rot

If the Germans didn't get to you first, your body's shitty immune system would. Brought on by spending weeks at a time knee deep in mud and water, your body would eventually say "eff your toes", get itself infected and turn gain greene.

passchendaele-1.jpg
Mustard Gas

Sick of the quick and painless manner of obliterating their enemies with canon fire, the Germans turned to instead burning their insides slowly with this highly toxic gas. Pictured above is the enemy, maybe, I don't know! Everything is so god damned brown!

soldiersDM_468x320.jpg
Unfortunately most of the cast did not reprise their roles in WWII, which vouched instead for fresh young faces and an even more preposterous enemy.

However, this movie is not about those things. It's about this handsome fucker

e02103974a89aa74df6cdc02acdfjpeg.jpg

and how he single highhandedly won the Canadians the Third battle of Ypres by staring down the Germans and making them cry, obviously now seeing the error of their ways.

WARNING! A bunch of opinions and stuff:

I have to say I was looking forward to this movie for some time due to the points above, hoping to see two hours worth of hardcore trench action. What we got however was an actors love letter to himself and maybe 10 minutes worth of an actual history lesson.

The movie basically takes pages from the "How not to make a Historically Accurate War Movie, by Micheal Bay" and then writes it's own chapters in the back. Paul Gross (Writer, Producer, Director, Star) did what everyone was warning him not to do and turned this thing into 2 hours of the most boring and unauthentic romance story ever put to screen, far worse than that Micheal Bay take on Dubbya Dubbya Two.

But that is not it's main problem (inane dialogue being a close second). The problem is Paul Gross desperately wants to tell an authentic Canadian War tale, however seemingly suffers from Chuck Norris syndrome and doesn't want to come across as pansy Canadian Storm Trooper who can be brought down by such trivial things as bullets and mortar rounds. Unlike most war movies there is absolutely no sense of danger, as he spends most of the time playing Superman and deflecting explosions with his chest (I think he gets hit at least 5 times, escaping only with sexy looking scars). Even as his squad gets mowed he still manages to give a smug wink and tell a tasteless joke about "losing your head" on the battlefield. No lie. Near the end he even compares himself to Jesus in one of the most stupidly manipulative scenes this side of Saving Private Ryan. For a movie named after one of the bloodiest struggles for our army during WWI, I was surprised to find that Passchendaele only get's a brief mention near the end: A doctor/general/guy simply stating, "by the way, we took Passchendaele (fist pump)".

The film does have it's moments, mostly when he or his love interest aren't on screen. The best lines come from a French Canadian dude who doesn't appear until the last 20 minutes, but I'm pretty sure he had to wrestle Paul Gross for those as he probably didn't want any actors taking all the attention away from him. Plus I guess when there is actual war going down that's cool too, although it certainly doesn't save the movie.

BUT ANYWAY!

TL;DR - Stupid war movie ruined by Canada's insistence on not making something that isn't complete fucking bore. Paul Gross is the next Jesus.

Sad thing is that this movie will probably be given a bunch of awards simply for the fact that it's the only "big budget" Canadian movie to come out this year, added to the fact that it panders to our patriotism of WWI. The good part is that they will be Canadian awards and we all know that those don't mean shit.

So my fellow Canadians, have you all done your patriotic duty to go watch whatever our local talent puts to screen and shed a tear for our fallen soldiers/boredom?

Cristoval on

• Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i've been seeing the previews for this on tv and i thought it looked like bullshit.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fascinating battle and period, reading a brilliant book on it now.

The Germans had machine guns set up in rows of five and had no man on them. The vibration of the gun firing made it turn and they put bolts on either side so it was contained in an arc of fire. Just overlap these arcs and have one guy with five pieces of rope attached to the belt feed and firing catches and they just mowed us down.

Really horrifying.

Also reading about this one time when the British employed a creeping barrage assault (which is why we were mostly walking across no mans land, because the barrage had to be timed to walking speed) and it just lands on the Brits and wipes em out except for like ten guys. And they get to the German trench and clear out a 300ft long section, hand to hand combat with two guys acting as 'bombers' though this basically means grenadiers. Killed about 200 German troops on their own because it was essentially a long narrow corridor once you get inside the trench.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Canada......

Military?

Khavall on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    is that a the canadian version of a bad-ass soldier

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Needs more Gallipoli.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited October 2008
    Needs more maple syrup.

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    VorusVorus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    is that a the canadian version of a bad-ass soldier

They have a word for us

They call us Stormtroopers

Vorus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bogey wrote: »
    Needs more maple syrup.

Maybe if they had more maple syrup at Gallipoli, it would've gone better?

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm wary of writer/director/lead actors in general unless they've really got something going for them.

Paul Gross, though? Pffft fuck him.

Killjoy on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    it's just not the same if he's not dressed like a Mountie

Usagi on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sturmtrooper?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Damn, I was hoping it wasn't going to be all the lovey dovey super hero crap that the trailer made it out to be. I was excited when I didn't know a lot about it other than a Canadian WW1 movie. Just go watch All Quiet again instead?!

bombardier on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    it really is a tribute to Erich Remarque's writing ability that he was able to make a novel about trench warfare exciting

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wait, I thought the ANZACs took Passchendale, the Canadians took Vimy Ridge?

... hmmm, wiki tells me that is not quite accurate. Carry on.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    God fuck mustard gas

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    it really is a tribute to Erich Remarque's writing ability that he was able to make a novel about trench warfare exciting

Post or Pre tank?

There need to be more movies about WWI. Everything I learned about it I learned in middle school

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If you guys want a WWI experience that doesn't suck, I recommend playing this flash-based browser game. It's hella addictive and fun.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Who the fuck is paul gross anyways

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm hoping that at least the best thing to come of this mess would be a more capable director taking on a WWI movie. As The_Scarab pointed out, there are a ton of awesome stories to come out of the setting and it's a shame that it always gets overshadowed by it's younger brother.

Edit: Paul Gross is a Canadian Actor/Director/Dude guy who is most prominently known for his character Benton Frase in the Canadian television show "Due South". I never watched it, but apparently it was pretty alright. He also sort of looks like Joaquin Pheonix without the lip scar, but is not as awesome.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Guy who tried and failed to be Orson Welles.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    dude, history channel has been playing band of brothers all afternoon, and continuing tomorrow afternoon too. Even though i have the dvds, i'm still watching the crap out of it, because it is the bestest

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    New Zealand made a WW1 movie about Chunuk Bair (Gallipoli) about how we can fight and die and then not get reinforced because the British officers didn't actually believe we could successfully take a hill and so didn't feel like marching into a support position and then lose the hill within 6 hours when they finally do turn up.

It's supposedly not bad, but a little low-budget and dated. I should watch it one day.

Fishman on
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Guy who tried and failed to be Orson Welles.

I really like him, actually. He was the lead in Slings and Arrows, one of my favorite TV shows, and he does a brilliant job. I'm a little sorry to hear that he fucks this up so badly. I had a lot of faith.

I have yet to see this movie, and doubt I will until I can see it in the states.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The only movie I've ever seen about New Zealand was Whale Rider.
    It was a pretty good movie if I remember correctly.

Rinder on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    J3p wrote: »
    God fuck mustard gas

Having been exposed to CS gas before, I kind of have an idea, and well, shit man.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    lostwords wrote: »
    dude, history channel has been playing band of brothers all afternoon, and continuing tomorrow afternoon too. Even though i have the dvds, i'm still watching the crap out of it, because it is the bestest

We own the DVDs and I had to stop Leanna because she has a paper to work on.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fuck. I hope those opinions on the OP are exagerrated. I was looking forward to this.

The actual battle was one of those 300 type tactics vs overwhelming odds battles and showed off how SUPER TOUGH we Canadians are because no Americans could hold it because they were made of lesser stuff.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    edited October 2008
    Interesting fact: Something like a whole % point of New Zealand's population died at Passchendale in a single day.

Which is kinda impressive, when you consider that it was something like a six week journey by ship to get to fucknowhere, Belgium from the far side of the world.

Fishman on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Rinder wrote: »

New Zealanders are some weird bastards. The Maori are cool, but god damn kiwis can't be straight forward for shit.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Fuck. I hope those opinions on the OP are exaggerated. I was looking forward to this.

Okay, maybe just a wee bit exaggerated. But the movie is truly less about the battle for Passchendaele and moreso the love that dare not speak it's name between a shell shocked soldier and a German nurse. If you want to see some cool WWI warfare just walk in during the last 15 minutes, because that's about all you are going to be getting.

Frick, it's been a while since I've seen All Quite on The Western Front (made us watch it in school), should probably do that up again sometime...

Cristoval on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

uuuugh

good movie maybe, being forced to watch it around seven times in a compulsory english class - not good at all.

Fishman: Wikipedia says 3,596 new zealanders killed in the whole battle, and another site says our population was about a quarter of what it is today (4 million), so that's about .35%.

Being patriotic about WW1 seems so stupid to me, it was a perfect example of people who had barely anything to do with the causes of a war fighting it. WW2 makes sense to me, the nazis did some pretty nasty shit and hitler was blatantly expansionist and needed to be stopped, but WW1 was just stupid. Only good thing that came out of it for us was the New Zealand military refusing to serve under English officers.

Maori battalion in WW2 (especially monte cassino), that is some impressive shit though. Taking any ground, especially ruins from Fallschirmjaeger (parachute) units that fought in stalingrad while fighting up a mountain... fuck that.

L|ama on
  • Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A Maori battallion sounds pretty fierce. I wouldn't want to face something like that.
    Learn something new about WW2 everyday.

Rinder on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Cassino was a goddamn tragedy.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    L|ama wrote: »

uuuugh

good movie maybe, being forced to watch it around seven times in a compulsory english class - not good at all.

Fishman: Wikipedia says 3,596 new zealanders killed in the whole battle, and another site says our population was about a quarter of what it is today (4 million), so that's about .35%.

Being patriotic about WW1 seems so stupid to me, it was a perfect example of people who had barely anything to do with the causes of a war fighting it. WW2 makes sense to me, the nazis did some pretty nasty shit and hitler was blatantly expansionist and needed to be stopped, but WW1 was just stupid. Only good thing that came out of it for us was the New Zealand military refusing to serve under English officers.

Maori battalion in WW2 (especially monte cassino), that is some impressive shit though. Taking any ground, especially ruins from Fallschirmjaeger (parachute) units that fought in stalingrad while fighting up a mountain... fuck that.
    My grandfather was at Monte Cassino. He was one of the few men in his platoon to walk away from it alive and intact.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Yeah, I always thought that stat was a bit dodgy. 2700 of those deaths occured in one day, but I've never been able to locate an accurate population stat for WW1 ever. I haven't been able to verify it, but I think it's based on a count of Pakeha, so didn't count the dirty grass-skirt dark skinned pagans the british colonials had spent the last 60 years stealing land from. Retrospective population counts tend to have a better estimation of those, but I doubt there's an accurate total anywhere.

Fishman on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »

The worst thing is that the bombing made things even worse militarily.

Maori Battalion, crazy motherfuckers. Sort of similar to the tuskegee airmen, the maori battalion were partly trying to prove that they could fight just as well as whiteys. From the wiki: 3,500 joined the 28th Maori Battalion. Of those, 655 died, and 1,949 were wounded or taken prisoner. 75% casualty rate, that is ridiculous.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The poles had a fucking bear to carry artillery shells for them at cassino, that is so badass.

Not to mention the Gurkhas.

L|ama on
  • Options
    KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008

Maori Battalion, crazy motherfuckers. Sort of similar to the tuskegee airmen, the maori battalion were partly trying to prove that they could fight just as well as whiteys. From the wiki: 3,500 joined the 28th Maori Battalion. Of those, 655 died, and 1,949 were wounded or taken prisoner. 75% casualty rate, that is ridiculous.

Seriously. No self-respecting white battallion would stand for that.

Killjoy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Killjoy wrote: »

Seriously. No self-respecting white battallion would stand for that.

Gallipoli, 1916.

Wellington Regiment summits Chunuk Bair with 760 men.

One day later, they come down. 711 are casualties. That doesn't even count the poor bastards who didn't make it to the top in the first place.

They fired their rifles until the wood of the rifle stocks was too hot to touch. Then they'd pick up the rifles of the guys who were dying next to them until that got too hot to touch. When the Turks got up to the trenches the fighting continued with the bayonet.

WW1 is fucked up.

Fishman on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man when I was going to school we barely learned about Canadian history.

Well wait. We learned about the founding of Canada, the Red River Rebellion (I went to Batosche!), and later our roles in World War 1 & 2. The only other encounter I'd heard about was Vimy Ridge; I hadn't heard about Passchendaele until I heard about this movie.

Meissnerd on