As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

(Dark, Mighty, New) Avengers Assemble! Long Live the Dark Reign

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    Well, in context, he wanted the reader to doubt everyone and feel that anyone could be a Skrull, even the baby.

I already felt that. Personally, I think it was more a matter of wanting to end every issue on a cliffhanger.

Misleading people is okay, but I don't think the sole purpose of a scene should be to jerk your audience around.

Robos A Go Go on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    it's been presented both ways

Not exactly: originally, her powers were described as 'hexes' that were created by her mutant power, i.e. her mutant power was to innately be able to cast spells that alter the probability of something occurring. The only change is that for some time they claimed that her power accessed "dark magic" or whatever, until Dr. Strange said there was no such thing.

Her power is basically the intuitive ability to use certain magics, whereas others have to learn how to do so.

"Chaos magic."

Which is funny because there is such a thing as "Chaos magic" IRL. Assuming you believe in such things.

Crimsondude on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I'm reading the extended "Director's commentary" of Secret Invasion #7 over at Wizard and Bendis mentions that the little scene between Fury and Osbourne will pay off in issue 8. Has Osbourne ever fought Fury? I think that'd be a hell of a fight.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think he meant their exchange. Maybe the government will try and imprison Fury, since Osborn said "So do you." in response to Fury's "You belong in jail."

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Could be setting up an ongoing conflict between the Thunderbolts and Fury's crew.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2008
    That's also a possibility, good idea.

Faynor on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    http://www.wizarduniverse.com/102508si7commentary.html

Damn Wizard for making me visit their site.

Crimsondude on
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2008
    It's nice to see Spider-Man fighting stuff in these giant spreads instead of just swinging around.

holy crap, there is a thor movie picture on the left

Dareth Ram on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    it's been presented both ways

Not exactly: originally, her powers were described as 'hexes' that were created by her mutant power, i.e. her mutant power was to innately be able to cast spells that alter the probability of something occurring. The only change is that for some time they claimed that her power accessed "dark magic" or whatever, until Dr. Strange said there was no such thing.

Her power is basically the intuitive ability to use certain magics, whereas others have to learn how to do so.

"Chaos magic."

Which is funny because there is such a thing as "Chaos magic" IRL. Assuming you believe in such things.

Um, what?

(btw, I edited my original post to refer to chaos magic, just to clarify for casual readers)

mattharvest on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I like this:
    BENDIS: I know I hit this beat earlier in the series, but if there's a bow and arrow and there's Hawkeye and there's a shot that needs to be taken, it's got to happen. It's a hell of a shot. It's not the kill shot. If it was me, that'd be it. I'd be done. I'd say, "I'm out!" and I'd walk away crying. But she is a pious, driven woman with power. So, she's still in this.

So those of you complaining last week that the Queen went down to easy, shut up.

Sharp101 on
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2008
    i still think the Queen is the kind of character that could die here and it wouldn't matter. She's just a face for the Invasion, and not an Ultron villain that needs twenty pages dedicated to her fall. killing her doesn't actually mean much in the face of the Skrull's fanaticism.

Dareth Ram on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »

I like this:
    BENDIS: I know I hit this beat earlier in the series, but if there's a bow and arrow and there's Hawkeye and there's a shot that needs to be taken, it's got to happen. It's a hell of a shot. It's not the kill shot. If it was me, that'd be it. I'd be done. I'd say, "I'm out!" and I'd walk away crying. But she is a pious, driven woman with power. So, she's still in this.

So those of you complaining last week that the Queen went down to easy, shut up.

You shut up.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
    edited October 2008
    Can the queen shapeshift, or is she locked as Jessica? I'm having a brain freeze.

Faynor on
  • Kusanagi02Kusanagi02 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can the queen shapeshift, or is she locked as Jessica? I'm having a brain freeze.

She's locked as Jessica just like the other sleeper Skrulls.

I can't wait for the Initiative issue this week just to see some more Skrull Kill Krew action plus that Thor Girl and Ultra Girl fight might be good.

Kusanagi02 on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »

I like this:

I think it's weird to now say that wasn't a kill shot... it was certainly made to look like one. Like, I could understand if next issue there is a *gasp she's not dead* moment, but to just mention it in an interview? Weird.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Kusanagi02 wrote: »

She's locked as Jessica just like the other sleeper Skrulls.

I can't wait for the Initiative issue this week just to see some more Skrull Kill Krew action plus that Thor Girl and Ultra Girl fight might be good.

I don't think that's true. I thought they were just locked to a particular shape for as long as they wanted to remain undetectable. If they want to start changing shape they can, but they also become detectable again.

I'm not sure if they changed and then went back to their sleeper shape they would become undetectable once more. There have been instances of sleeper skrulls being shown to change shape in private before they were discovered, so I guess they must be able to do this (eg, Jarvis demonstrating how to freak out the Sentry at a meeting, Pym-skrull sending secret messages in Skrull form in Initiative).

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • PaperFootballPaperFootball Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    In the House of M flashback issue Veranke changed back slighty while she was tossing skrull cookies in a SHIELD bathroom stall

PaperFootball on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, but her only forms are Skrull or Spider-Woman. No others.

Sharp101 on
    edited October 2008
    Doesn't mean she's not capable of it, just that she hasn't been shown to make the change.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I thought it was that every skrull can change shapes regardless whether or not they are also sleeper agents or super skrulls. Only, to remain undetectable, infiltrators need to remain in one form. Veranke only ever changes into Spider-Woman form, even now that she's been exposed, because she only has Spider-Woman powers, presumably.

TeaSpoon on
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, that was pretty much my impression too. If they aren't concerned about getting caught (eg, they've just revealed themselves or they are in private) they seem to be free to take whatever shape they want.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    yeah the "don't change" thing just refers to the fact that they need to copy the person they are replacing on a molecular level to stay undetectable.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well it was too good to last...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18587

But I'm still amazed Marvel managed to keep this on schedule for so long.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Meh, two weeks is nothing. I can wait a lot longer if I need to.

TeaSpoon on
    edited October 2008
    considering it was 8 issues, 2 of which were double sized, the last issue being delayed 2 weeks isn't really a big deal.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also, some of the tie-ins were delayed, so it might be they don't want SI to end after the main book.

Fencingsax on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    On one hand, better they delay it than insert another, shittier artist to do half the book in the traditional Marvel way.

On the other hand, nnnngnggggggggggg ISSUE 8 MUST HAVE IT AND FIND OUT HOW IT ENDS.

desc on
    edited October 2008
    what? how is that the traditional Marvel way?

Civil War suffered massive delays specifically because they refused to have anyone but McNiven finish it

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    If I remember rightly House of M was all one artist as well. World War Hulk had big delays, but still one artist.

Bogart on
    edited October 2008
    what? how is that the traditional Marvel way?

Civil War suffered massive delays specifically because they refused to have anyone but McNiven finish it

My impression of almost every marvel title I've read in the past year or so has been "I liked the artist last issue ... and now it's this guy." Or, "I liked the artist in the first 95% of the story, but the last 5 pages of my Ultimate Iron Man tpb have suddenly horrible, horrible art." I appreciate that keeping up on continuous deadlines is tough, and at least they sometimes try to switch artists scene by scene so there's some logic, but they do it all the time.

I know artists and writers move around, but the penciller bait and switch feels like it's affected almost every title I'm reading at some point or another.

I guess the other option is to keep pushing titles releases back, which is equally frustrating.

desc on
    edited October 2008
    What Marvel titles have you been reading where this 'bait and switch' has occured? In big events, which is what we're talking about here, Marvel have not, in recent years, switched partway through to a different guy.

Bogart on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    the only book that has really suffered artists switches that i can think of is Iron Fist.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited October 2008
    Well, I am thinking general titles, not specifically the flagship of the crossover event of the hour. In general titles, there are plenty of examples. X-titles, Cable, Ultimate Iron Man, etc.

Honestly, the only other marvel crossovers I've read in the last decade were civil war and some of house of M, so maybe I'm making a bad comparison between generic titles and high profile crossovers, where they are more strict about this.

desc on
    edited October 2008
    I haven't read Ultimate Iron Man, but I don't think anything in your list other than X-Factor has had a change in artist mid-story (and even then I'm not sure it happened mid-story). There have been changes in the art team after an arc here and there, but so what? That's not bait and switch, that's a change in team at natural break in the comic story and common across the industry.

Specific examples of a story getting a different artist before it's finished, please?

Bogart on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bogart wrote: »
    I haven't read Ultimate Iron Man, but I don't think anything in your list other than X-Factor has had a change in artist mid-story (and even then I'm not sure it happened mid-story). There have been changes in the art team after an arc here and there, but so what? That's not bait and switch, that's a change in team at natural break in the comic story and common across the industry.

Specific examples of a story getting a different artist before it's finished, please?
    Uncanny 500 had Land in it at points.

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2008
    That was supposed to be an introduction to both new regular artists, each one tackling a different aspect of the story. I know it ended up looking like a mishmash, but I don't think it was down to Land pinch-hitting.

Bogart on
    edited October 2008
    yeah Uncanny 500 was always supposed to be both Land and Dodson, since they were the 2 new regular artists on the book.

They didnt do it in Cable either, the majority of the issues have all been by Olivetti, the only exception was the one issue all about Cyclops, and the artistic shift made sense in that case (and even in that issue, Olivetti drew the one scene in the future) and then the King Size Special, but those Specials always have a different artist.

David Aja on Iron Fist is the only one thats been like that.

Even the terrible art in X-Factor is not due to fill-ins or anything like that, we all knew Stroman was coming on the book.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    desc wrote: »
    Or, "I liked the artist in the first 95% of the story, but the last 5 pages of my Ultimate Iron Man tpb have suddenly horrible, horrible art."

Well, Andy Kubert was the one doing art on UIM, and both he and his brother, after crossing over to DC, have caused massive delays and artist changes on pretty much every book they've been assigned.

So I'd assign a larger share of the blame to Kubert than Marvel on that one.

Munch on
    edited October 2008
    Bogart wrote: »
    That was supposed to be an introduction to both new regular artists, each one tackling a different aspect of the story. I know it ended up looking like a mishmash, but I don't think it was down to Land pinch-hitting.
    Well yeah, but Land is terrible, so I could see how he sees it that way. Of course, I myself associate that attitude much more with DC, what with that series and all.

Fencingsax on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey, so Mike Deodato did a thing.

Munch on
This discussion has been closed.