As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hello, I'd like to play a little [chat]

• Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If there was internets, would you volunteer to help colonize the moon?

That is a trap.

I would need cable internet or better. I'm not wading through 56k.

James on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You absolutely do need a science degree to understand why sharks are awesome assassins, otherwise how can you possibly appreciate it on as many levels as I do?

Please, go on.

Because science forgot to protect their faggy little noses. I would give a shark such a punch right on the nose. What does science have to say about that, huh huh?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You absolutely do need a science degree to understand why sharks are awesome assassins, otherwise how can you possibly appreciate it on as many levels as I do?
    Personally I find that hunting and killing sharks in your own free time can be just as beneficial as a science degree as far as coming to respect their deadliness goes.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've never really listened to stereolab.
    I say this just to see if that vein throbs in your forehead

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I honestly haven't heard any Stereolab. I've been meaning to, though. Mostly 'cause cel keeps going on about them :P

However my opinion is that they, like other bands, are just bands, and also the great variety of music makes it difficult to declare any one band the greatest.

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    THE BEATLES ARE FAR SUPERIOR.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Personally I find that hunting and killing sharks in your own free time can be just as beneficial as a science degree as far as coming to respect their deadliness goes.

But the only way to really appreciate a shark is to actually be a shark, and it's quite hard to type posts on the Internet with these fins.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I love nature documentaries. You get to let all your baser instincts to watch things get their shit fucked up out.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    I watched Planet Earth, and that slow motion scene with the high speed camera where the shark snatches the seal while jumping out of the water. That's all the shark related info a man needs to make an educated opinion.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also Otters are awesome - when crocodiles come for them they all form up in a phalanx and fight it 300 style.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    THE BEATLES ARE FAR SUPERIOR.

THE BEATLES SUCK
    AT BEING NON-AWESOME
    AT SUCKING
    ON OPPOSITE DAY
    <3

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Okay otters are indeed awesome.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I've never really listened to stereolab.
    I say this just to see if that vein throbs in your forehead
    I don't even get mad about it, I really just feel sorry for you. I've accepted that some people don't love Stereolab, just like I've accepted that some people lead loveless, cold, empty, unsatisfying lives.

• Options
    edited October 2008
    Our first aid kit here actually reads "FIRST AID KID."

Odd.

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    James wrote: »
    I honestly haven't heard any Stereolab. I've been meaning to, though. Mostly 'cause cel keeps going on about them :P

However my opinion is that they, like other bands, are just bands, and also the great variety of music makes it difficult to declare any one band the greatest.
    Oh, I can easily declare Stereolab the Greatest. There is a wide range of things that go into this. They are simply the One. There is no band greater. Period.

Getting into them isn't the easiest -- it either happens in one song, or else you have to grow into a little bit. I was a convert after about two minutes of one song, but then again I have very specific ideas about what makes great music, and they achieved all of my ideas in 120s, then just followed up and expanded upon them for the duration of the rest of the (first) album that I got by them.

That shit was literally life-changing, no exaggeration.

• Options
    edited October 2008
    I've never even heard of Stereolab. Are they any good?

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I mean are you kidding? Am I the only one listening to this right now?

Second time I've seen them live now, second time I've been deeply, deeply inspired.

• Options
    edited October 2008

Second time I've seen them live now, second time I've been deeply, deeply inspired.

No, I went to look them up on Youtube when you said them. MY LIFE IS COMPLETELY CHANGED OMG OMG
    they seem alright

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Senjutsu is a huge Stereolab fan, for the record, so it's not just me being a freak about it.

They're hard to recommend across the internet. They have a million and one youtube videos, but it's really hard to decide what single youtube video best sells the Greatest Band Ever. I really can't seriously recommend an entry point without recommending an entire album, because unless you give them one album length's of attention, at the very least, you're selling them short.

• Options
    edited October 2008

No, I went to look them up on Youtube when you said them. MY LIFE IS COMPLETELY CHANGED OMG OMG
    they seem alright
    Takes more than a single video and takes better sound quality.

The song that sold me was part of an EP, actually, the first song, that I had purchased. Then the EP just built off of that song, culminating in absolutely mind-blowing shit. If you just watch a youtube video, it's going to be pretty mundane.

• Options
    edited October 2008
    Senjutsu is a huge Stereolab fan, for the record, so it's not just me being a freak about it.

They're hard to recommend across the internet. They have a million and one youtube videos, but it's really hard to decide what single youtube video best sells the Greatest Band Ever. I really can't seriously recommend an entry point without recommending an entire album, because unless you give them one album length's of attention, at the very least, you're selling them short.

Then short is how I will sell them.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Then short is how I will sell them.
    I mean, if you are determined to hate yourself, I can't stop you.

They snuck up on me a little, too. I bought an album off some kind of cosmic intuition that a band called "Stereolab" would be a band that I liked. I had never heard shit by them, and I brought this purchased album home and put it in the CD player ... damn ... life-changing.

If there are people who don't like Stereolab, fine, there's a good portion of the population I simply don't like, either. True genius is rarely embraced in its own time.

• Options
    edited October 2008
    The problem with Stereolab being the greatest band is that Every Time I Die is.

look at these god damn lyrics and enjoy brilliant prose.

stand outs include. home is where you hang yourself. the logic of crocodiles. emergency broadcast syndrome, shallow water blackout, i've been gone a long time, ebolaroma, floater...

ah hell forget it.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sunday mornings are boring.

EDIT: However, I shall take advantage on the Sundayness of this day and not feel guilty when I have the sausage sandwich I will be having in about 10 minutes.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Ummm ... look at Stereolab write philosophical quandaries into electro-pop tunes:
    Stereolab wrote:
    When two people have a project
    they begin a competition
    In which there will be a winner and a loser
    State of dominance over one or the other

This dominance is integral to
    all human's ways and actions
    The necessity to keep at disposition
    An object or being desired by another

Knowing through training that he wants to keep it
    Learning everyday, he will have to dominate

Our brain makes us act
    behave and react
    A pulsion that drives us to stay alive

Need to satisfy our fundamental needs
    The nervous system enables that drive

Through consumerism, escape and struggle
    As well as inhibition

All these mechanisms that preserve balance
    Biological well being

Seems that until now we have used our brain
    Just to dominate, just to dominate

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Sunday mornings are boring.

That's why I sleep in until midday.

Well, not really. I actually try to wake up at six every morning.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You guys are wiggity-wiggity whack, Color Me Badd is the best band ever.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Ummm ... look at Stereolab write philosophical quandaries into electro-pop tunes:
    Stereolab wrote:
    When two people have a project
    they begin a competition
    In which there will be a winner and a loser
    State of dominance over one or the other

This dominance is integral to
    all human's ways and actions
    The necessity to keep at disposition
    An object or being desired by another

Knowing through training that he wants to keep it
    Learning everyday, he will have to dominate

Our brain makes us act
    behave and react
    A pulsion that drives us to stay alive

Need to satisfy our fundamental needs
    The nervous system enables that drive

Through consumerism, escape and struggle
    As well as inhibition

All these mechanisms that preserve balance
    Biological well being

Seems that until now we have used our brain
    Just to dominate, just to dominate

Every Time I Die is a very funny band to watch evolve. They've gone from heart broken angst to deabauched revelry to disillusionment with the scene.
    Neuron flash in fifty watts pinpointing to the streetlight limbo.
    Told me it was chemistry why I behave like this.
    Why I move in misdirected impulse and speak in scrambled clusters of white
    Noise.
    Traction is not a term of endearment.
    Death is an experiment best conducted face down.
    Vertigo may not include spinning, but it ought to.
    I am languid in the puddle, face full of concrete cellophane.
    Don't say a single word unless you speak with a drowning tongue.
    I am not listening. I am not focusing.
    My eyes have sunk and set and I am invincible.
    I'm water proof. someone said that heaven is just coincidental collision of
    Electrons.
    This is not the time for touching me.
    I am a conduit changing colors, frantic humming televisions,
    Conducting city spasms, shorting voltage like a fuse.
    The elevating vibrations of hysteria, amplified by the armor of the tarn.
    Flashing lights paint veins across the sky.
    And everyone along the roadside just wants to see a saint.
    The serenity of sirens, the allure of the femme fatale.
    Her defibrillator hands can't stop me now.
    I feel quite all right.

Note: I listened to one Stereolab song it was quite good.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    there will also be black pudding in this sandwich of amazingness...and hp sauce...nom om om om.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I think I can dig Stereolab. Not the best but fun so far.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    I went to the Youtubes to find bits of Stereolab in order to dislike it and then demean celery, for that is the way of the internet. "How homosexual of you" I would've said.

They're pretty non-hatable, though.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have yet to see a scarey movie that scared me. Video games get me though. I involuntarily twitched a lot of times during Bioshock (fucking spider splicers). And the last time I played through System Shock 2? That fucking Robot warehouse made me jump numerous times even though I know exactly which ones are going to bust out and come after me.

But for movies? Meh. Like Silent Hill for example (ending spoilers)
    I think I'm the only one that at the end of Silent Hill was cheering on the ghost of the child as she killed the cultists and raped their leader with barbed-wire tentacles. I walked out of the theater smiling. My friends who dragged me to it? Slightly sicked while I tried to explain why I was smiling.

'Cause like, seriously? Fuck freaky cult people who kill a child out of religous paranoina. With Barbed wire. In tentacle form.

I've decided to try and conquer my video game fear though. At some point though I've decided to force myself to buy Dead Space and play it with no light sources other than my moniter. I'm not even sure why I think this is a good idea since I'm probably going to ruin a number of perfectly good pairs of boxers.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I have yet to see a scarey movie that scared me. Video games get me though. I involuntarily twitched a lot of times during Bioshock (fucking spider splicers). And the last time I played through System Shock 2? That fucking Robot warehouse made me jump numerous times even though I know exactly which ones are going to bust out and come after me.

I think I'm the only one that at the end of Silent Hill was cheering on the ghost of the child as she killed the cultists and raped their leader with barbed-wire tentacles. I walked out of the theater smiling. My friends who dragged me to it? Slightly sicked while I tried to explain why I was smiling.

'Cause like, seriously? Fuck freaky cult people who kill a child out of religous paranoina. With Barbed wire. In tentacle form.

I've decided to try and conquer my video game fear though. At some point though I've decided to force myself to buy Dead Space and play it with no light sources other than my moniter. I'm not even sure why I think this is a good idea since I'm probably going to ruin a number of perfectly good pairs of boxers.

I'm with you one the Dead Space thing.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    cel, name me an album, and I will purchase it in the coming weeks.

What album is a good entry point?

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I got past the huge zombie horde attack thing near the beginning of RE4, and have not played since.

I can only play Half Life 2 in bits and pieces.

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    James wrote: »

I got past the huge zombie horde attack thing near the beginning of RE4, and have not played since.

I can only play Half Life 2 in bits and pieces.

I can do RE4. Something about being a badass makes the entire ordeal less scary. Same with Doom 3. . .while not a badass there wasn't a lot that could absolutely fuck me up other than being in the god damn dark.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Those of you who don't appreciate Stereolab are being pretty dumb.
    Stereolab wrote:
    Though this world's essentially an absurd place to be living in
    It doesn't call for total withdrawal

I've been told it's a fact of life
    Men have to kill one another
    Well I say there are still things worth fighting for

La Resistance!

Though this world's essentially an absurd place to be living in
    It doesn't call for (bubble withdrawal)

It said human existence is pointless
    As acts of rebellious solidarity
    Can bring sense in this world

La Resistance!

Do you think those lyrics would go along with a beat and a melody that demand booty shaking? If you answered "no" you would be wrong.

Sami on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh hey and you folks will also enjoy Portishead and Zero 7

if you like this stereolab business.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh hey and you folks will also enjoy Portishead and Zero 7

if you like this stereolab business.
    I like both Portishead and Zero 7, perhaps I should look into this Stereolab nonsense.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
This discussion has been closed.