As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

360 Directly To Headphones

ThrustinJThrustinJ Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
I'm going away for a long weekend to a hospital (medical study, not sickness) and I'm going to locked in a room for 4 days. I have a tv in the room but there's no inputs accept coaxial.

So I planned on taking a computer monitor with me to hook my 360 up to. Now I just need audio.

What's the best way to hook up a 360 to audio without a receiver? I'd like play it with small speakers so I could control volume to headphones.

Any ideas?

ThrustinJ on

• JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You are in luck!

The VGA cable outputs sound in RCA Left/Right. So, all you need is a 1/8" Female -> Stereo RCA Female and you're set. All of $3 at RadioShack.

EDIT: The cable actually comes with a 1/8" Male -> Stereo RCA Female; so a 1/8" Male/Male coupler would work too.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • ThrustinJThrustinJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh duh. I wasn't even thinking about RCA adapters.

Thanks!

ThrustinJ on
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ThrustinJ wrote: »
    Oh duh. I wasn't even thinking about RCA adapters.

Thanks!

No prob!

Good luck!

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If possible, you either want to route the sound through some sort of receiver box first or use headphones with built-in volume control, since the 360 only outputs at one volume. And it's loud.

[edit] Should have read the whole OP. Yeah, your best bet is 360 -> adapter -> stereo speakers -> headphone.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    However most games do have their own volume control. I was playing GoW today with that exact setup and it worked fine.

Hedwirez on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    If possible, you either want to route the sound through some sort of receiver box first or use headphones with built-in volume control, since the 360 only outputs at one volume. And it's loud.

[edit] Should have read the whole OP. Yeah, your best bet is 360 -> adapter -> stereo speakers -> headphone.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2732095&cp=&sr=1&kw=headphone+amplifier&origkw=headphone+amplifier&parentPage=search

FreddyD on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If you want something a little more fancy I have these:

http://www.trittontechnologies.com/products/TRIGA600.htm

and they're great.

They come with their own small 5.1 decoder box (needs to be plugged in) so you can have surround for your 360 in a headset; plus it has a mic you can use for Live. I'll be honest though sometimes it's a pain to hear the live chat through the music (live chat comes through center channel so you can modify it somewhat.) but with most of the scrubs out there it's not a big deal if you can't hear them. But you can modify the volume level of all the channels and bass.

The only two real complaints I have about them are 1) they're kind of heavy on your head for long gaming sessions. They're comfortable, don't get me wrong, but after a few hours you just need to take them off to relieve a bit of pressure the top puts on your head. 2) if the sound coming through the headphones is really quiet you can hear little beeps and squeaks now and then. They're really low tone and not painful or distracting 99.9% of the time because you'll usually have the volume so loud you'll never even hear it. I think it's just a side effect of the whole setup.

Anyway, just a thought. I picked mine up off ebay for $90.00 awhile back, but the ones I see listed there are a bit more pricey. If you go to pricegrabber and put in ax360 you can find a couple places for under $100.00

EDIT: Alternately: http://www.google.com/products?q=tritton+ax360&btnG=Search+Products&hl=en&show=dd

The actual model number is TRI-GA600 though it says AX360 on the headset.

Also I should point out it comes with a orange/green/black/pink adapter to use for a PC 5.1 setup and it can take in a single coaxal and optical digital input so you can use it with other devices (plug your receiver into it and use it for ps3/ps2/dvd's etc. It can be used for anything really and it comes with virtually any cable you could need.

Incidentally you can use the orange/green/black connector on the decoder box to pass through to your pc speakers if you have a setup like mine where my 360 is next to my gaming pc. It lets me get surround sound through either the headset, my speaker setup or both.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited October 2008
    I think the adapters and computer speakers will work fine. They have their own volume. I'll probably only bring the right speaker since I plan on using headphones all the time.

ThrustinJ on
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Awesome. Been looking for discussion on headphones directly to 360 for awhile.

I currently have a pair of 5.1 headphones from Zalman. I don't have any other surround sound options available to me at the moment. I've always wanted to connect these to my 360, but there's just no way to directly connect them.

The Dude: Do those headphones you listed work well in 5.1 on your 360 as well as your PC? If so, I'll switch brands in a heartbeat. While my headphones are great, they are a couple years old.

I suppose I could just look for a box like that one that comes with those headphones and connect it to my set. I'll have to go have another look, playing through Dead Space without surround sound was difficult. That game uses sound in a way that I've never seen before. 5.1 is a must for anyone looking for the full experience when playing Dead Space.

I'm just generally tired of missing out on surround sound on my console.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    it works fine with my pc and 360 (I can't tell which one you're asking for focus on); I bought it for my 360 in mind. It works with anything that is either optical digital, coaxal digital (one of each input) and orange/green/black 5.1 (pc's).

My soundcard is the orange/green/black 5.1 (soundblaster). It's an older card (the laptop one actually, but my desktop is the same) so it doesn't have digital out; but there's no reason it wouldn't work that way too.

The adapter for the headset for the PC actually doesn't use the 5.1 decoder box. It just plugs right into the orange/green/black and into the PC, so just like any non dolby-digital 5.1 soundcard the soundcard will do the decoding and send it to the headset as if it were speakers.

If you had digital output on your soundcard you could just do it that way too and not disconnect the headset from the decoder box.

EDIT: I should point out that the decoder box does have the orange/green/black outputs (that apparently also work as inputs since I can hear my pc through my headphones this way), so you don't have to bypass the decoder when using the pc, you just can.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited October 2008
    Just to update, I went to RadioShack and bought two things: Stereo RCA(male) to 1/4 Stereo (female) cable and a set of RCA Couplers (two in a package). You also need a 1/4 (male) to 3.5 (female) adapter, but I had that already.

Xbox RCA output -> RCA couplers -> Stereo RCA / 1/4" adapter cable -> 1/4"/3.5mm adapter -> Headphones

The sound works perfectly straight to headphones. The volume in Call of Duty Beta was perfect...not too loud, not too soft. I won't even need to take computer speakers with me to tweak the sound volume.

Luckily, RadioShack has a great return policy, so I'll probably take this all back when I'm done next week. Or maybe not...it's such a good solution.

ThrustinJ on