Options

ROUND TWO: FIGHT H: RESULTS

• Options
    Adaemus1sfAdaemus1sf Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    What? I am declaring the information you make up about him as wrong. I.e. the "Ambrose Chase can be killed with bullets".

While, yes, that is true because he is not superhumanly durable or anything, it is not true, as most of the people arguing against Chase tend to believe, that his weakness to bullets extends to all situations.

Unless he is in a science-fiction movie, he is not going to get shot.

[spoiler:bb85e91cba]He's not even really dead anyway, probably.[/spoiler:bb85e91cba]

And the Science-fiction defense isn't just interesting, it's true. Planet Fiction worked according to sci-fi rules. The black guy dies, shit happens that shouldn't be physically possible (whatever crossed over in the rocket broke several laws of physics without any difficulty)

Unless you can somehow transport Ambrose to a fictional reality (within the fictional reality the fight takes place in normally), you are most probably and pretty much definitely not going to kill Ambrose Chase by shooting him with bullets. In fact, that action will probably only result in Ambrose filling you up with several thousand bullets more, using bullet-time.

And Ambrose, in the comic, can change the direction of gravitational pull, slow down or speed up time, warp space-time itself, chang the course of bullets (Christ he does it in the picture in the OP).

So there are probably a bunch of ways he could come up with in which he wouldn't die from falling into the Grand Canyon.
    I can open the book in front of me and see Ambrose hit with bullets, and then he disappears. What you want me to do is ignore this comic, which is a full one-half of all his appearances, as wrong. I am going to go along with you enough to say that if he knows the bullets are coming, he can stop them, since also in that issue he says he has to see what he wants to affect. I simply want you to admit that if he were somehow hit by a force equivalent to or stronger than a bullet (like, say, falling a mile to the ground, or being hit by the Hulk), this would hurt or possibly kill him, since we see no evidence that he is extremely durable. Not whether or not he would be hit, just that if hit, it would hurt him. That was the point I was trying to make, not the bullets kill him thing.

Adaemus1sf on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    And Ambrose, in the comic, can change the direction of gravitational pull, slow down or speed up time, warp space-time itself, chang the course of bullets (Christ he does it in the picture in the OP).

So there are probably a bunch of ways he could come up with in which he wouldn't die from falling into the Grand Canyon.

What if the winds that push him into the Canyon also push him down with greater force than gravity alone would so that, if gravity is reversed, he continues to be pushed downwards nonethless?

That would mean that Bigby knew everything about Chase's powers, which is improbable since nobody knows everything about Chase's powers.

He probably knows well enough to stay out of the range of Chase's powers and, when he sees Chase floating out of the Grand Canyon, sending the winds to push him down to the bottom is kind of an obvious move.

Well yes. But it's not even certain that the Grand Canyone will even come up into play. This is just one tiny outcome which might be possible but no-one knows for sure! And stuff.

There're mountains and the Baxter Building too, or Bigby could just gust him high into the air and then gust him back down at extreme speeds regardless of where they are.

Chase can still probably beat the Hulk, though, and maybe Cable.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm just gonna do a rundown here.

Cable can beat Bigby:
    - Shooting him so much he can't recover before the end of the match.
    - Tossing into space.
    - Distracting him with his infonet thing to pull off the above or some other trick, like taking his sword and using it on him.

Cable can beat Chase:
    - Shooting or infoneting him by surprise.
    - Using his force fields to push him into/off something, or toss him into space (he can dodge bullets, but an entire wall is something else).

Chase can beat Bigby:
    - Shooting him so much he can't recover in time (might be tough, his guns aren't as big or powerful as Cables).
    - Using his physics control to mess Bigby up internally.

Chase can beat Cable:
    - Using his physics to mess Cable up internally.
    - If Cable ports, his field is down for 3 minutes, during which he can be shot.

Bigby can beat Cable:
    - Assuming the sword can cut force fields, he can slice up Cable.
    - Eating Cable if his field goes down.

Bigby can beat Chase:
    - Using winds to knock him into/off something, or out of the arena.
    - Taking him by surprise.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    What? I am declaring the information you make up about him as wrong. I.e. the "Ambrose Chase can be killed with bullets".

While, yes, that is true because he is not superhumanly durable or anything, it is not true, as most of the people arguing against Chase tend to believe, that his weakness to bullets extends to all situations.

Unless he is in a science-fiction movie, he is not going to get shot.

[spoiler:b375c0f7f8]He's not even really dead anyway, probably.[/spoiler:b375c0f7f8]

And the Science-fiction defense isn't just interesting, it's true. Planet Fiction worked according to sci-fi rules. The black guy dies, shit happens that shouldn't be physically possible (whatever crossed over in the rocket broke several laws of physics without any difficulty)

Unless you can somehow transport Ambrose to a fictional reality (within the fictional reality the fight takes place in normally), you are most probably and pretty much definitely not going to kill Ambrose Chase by shooting him with bullets. In fact, that action will probably only result in Ambrose filling you up with several thousand bullets more, using bullet-time.

I can open the book in front of me and see Ambrose hit with bullets, and then he disappears. What you want me to do is ignore this comic, which is a full one-half of all his appearances, as wrong. I am going to go along with you enough to say that if he knows the bullets are coming, he can stop them, since also in that issue he says he has to see what he wants to affect. I simply want you to admit that if he were somehow hit by a force equivalent to or stronger than a bullet (like, say, falling a mile to the ground, or being hit by the Hulk), this would hurt or possibly kill him, since we see no evidence that he is extremely durable. Not whether or not he would be hit, just that if hit, it would hurt him. That was the point I was trying to make, not the bullets kill him thing.

God, don't make me post the picture again.

I am not telling you to ignore the comic. I am telling you to look at it. It's pretty useless to try to kill Ambrose Chase with bullets, because of his field. The reason he got hit by bullets was because his field was off, which was the case because of the specific reality he was in. I am not saying he CAN'T in THEORY be killed by bullets, I am saying he almost definitely WON'T be killed by bullets because this fight does not take place in Planet Fiction. The same would probably go for throwing him off a cliff, seeing as he can already run up walls and has been observed changing the directions bullets are traveling.

So there are probably about a million ways for him to not hit the ground. Which is what you choose to ignore.

Or maybe everybody is just the victim of miscommunication. Let's keep it at that.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

What if the winds that push him into the Canyon also push him down with greater force than gravity alone would so that, if gravity is reversed, he continues to be pushed downwards nonethless?

That would mean that Bigby knew everything about Chase's powers, which is improbable since nobody knows everything about Chase's powers.

He probably knows well enough to stay out of the range of Chase's powers and, when he sees Chase floating out of the Grand Canyon, sending the winds to push him down to the bottom is kind of an obvious move.

Well yes. But it's not even certain that the Grand Canyone will even come up into play. This is just one tiny outcome which might be possible but no-one knows for sure! And stuff.

There're mountains and the Baxter Building too, or Bigby could just gust him high into the air and then gust him back down at extreme speeds regardless of where they are.

Chase can still probably beat the Hulk, though, and maybe Cable.

No, actually, Chase probably couldn't really beat the Hulk. Slow him down, yes, but probably not defeat, and certainly not kill.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    so could hulk just grab him?

i mean would it just be like him seeing the hulk's ultra-strong hand plunging toward him in slow motion for like an hour until it finally grabs and crushes the life out of him no matter how many bullets he pours at the hide of the green monster?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    That's fine. I don't care about bullets, since I agree with you that he's unlikely to be hit by them (though, again, I point out that he says that he affects things he's looking at in a flashback in the issue, so at least in theory he could be hit by bullets if he didn't know they were coming). I just wanted to establish that he's not likely to survive a hit a normal person couldn't survive, provided it hits him.
    Moving on to another fun argument, I'm thinking of outvoting the Hulk, since there's lots of ways for him to be removed by Bigby or Cable, and he'd have a pretty hard time hurting any of the combatants if Cable and Bigby want to stay at range and Ambrose uses his physics disortions.

Adaemus1sf on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Servo wrote:
    so could hulk just grab him?

i mean would it just be like him seeing the hulk's ultra-strong hand plunging toward him in slow motion for like an hour until it finally grabs and crushes the life out of him no matter how many bullets he pours at the hide of the green monster?

Unless he uses his control over time to move out of the way, yes.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    That's fine. I don't care about bullets, since I agree with you that he's unlikely to be hit by them (though, again, I point out that he says that he affects things he's looking at in a flashback in the issue, so at least in theory he could be hit by bullets if he didn't know they were coming). I just wanted to establish that he's not likely to survive a hit a normal person couldn't survive, provided it hits him.
    Moving on to another fun argument, I'm thinking of outvoting the Hulk, since there's lots of ways for him to be removed by Bigby or Cable, and he'd have a pretty hard time hurting any of the combatants if Cable and Bigby want to stay at range and Ambrose uses his physics disortions.

but that gives him second at worst, since there's really no way for them to hurt hulk from a range either

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Servo wrote:
    Adaemus1sf wrote:

but that gives him second at worst, since there's really no way for them to hurt hulk from a range either
    Either Cable or Bigby can send him out of the arena, Cable with a forcefield, Bigby with the wind. Cable can incapacitate him with the infonet trick. If Bigby gets close, and I don't see why he would, he could use the vorpal sword a lot. Only Ambrose really has no way to remove Hulk.

Adaemus1sf on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    I'm just gonna do a rundown here.

Cable can beat Bigby:
    - Shooting him so much he can't recover before the end of the match.
    - Tossing into space.
    - Distracting him with his infonet thing to pull off the above or some other trick, like taking his sword and using it on him.

Cable can beat Chase:
    - Shooting or infoneting him by surprise.
    - Using his force fields to push him into/off something, or toss him into space (he can dodge bullets, but an entire wall is something else).

Chase can beat Bigby:
    - Shooting him so much he can't recover in time (might be tough, his guns aren't as big or powerful as Cables).
    - Using his physics control to mess Bigby up internally.

Chase can beat Cable:
    - Using his physics to mess Cable up internally.
    - If Cable ports, his field is down for 3 minutes, during which he can be shot.

Bigby can beat Cable:
    - Assuming the sword can cut force fields, he can slice up Cable.
    - Eating Cable if his field goes down.

Bigby can beat Chase:
    - Using winds to knock him into/off something, or out of the arena.
    - Taking him by surprise.

I think the question becomes: Could the three of them work together to defeat Hulk?

No, they don't have a reason to trust each other, but they are all very smart guys, and would know that teamwork is probably appropriate here. Of course, they'll all try to double cross one another, because none of them are especially boy scout-like.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I only see two ways for Hulk to lose: Cable tosses him out of the arena (I don't think hurricane winds would budge him), or Bigby/whoever has the sword manages to slice him down the middle.

Scooter on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    I only see two ways for Hulk to lose: Cable tosses him out of the arena (I don't think hurricane winds would budge him), or Bigby/whoever has the sword manages to slice him down the middle.

To be fair with the winds, I would think it'd need to be the first one that catches him off guard that would get him. Anything after that I'd imagine he'd be ready to hunker down and dig in for.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Really most of the things the other guys could "realistically" do to Hulk would just serve to piss him off more.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Scooter wrote:

I see absolutely no reason why Bigby couldn't blow Hulk out of the arena area by simply waiting till Hulk is off the ground making a super-jump and then assisting him into orbit with a well-timed huff and puff.

And no, despite being uber-awesometastically strong, Hulk has zero leverage once his feet leave the ground.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    True, though for what it means, I don't think I've seen him jump since Planet Hulk started.

Scooter on
  • Options
    The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Ambrose Chase got his skin penetrated by bullets. This is a fact. The idea that it happened because of Planet Fiction, based on the ramblings of a crazed mad scientist, is a theory. Dude got shot and killed by bullets, and it's irrelevant how unlikely that is to happen in other circumstances. It's possible and that's what is relevant. That means that when Cable hits him with his InfoNet thingy and spazzes his brain, he's not going to be thinking about redirecting bullets, which Cable will then shoot into him. A selective physics distortion field is exactly that, selective. That's dependent on Chase directing his will, which does not negate the fact that he's human and susceptible to distraction.

The same thing applies to Cable. I give the match to Hulk and Bigby because their ability to survive situations, in general, are fundamental to their existence and not dependent on conscious thought. Hulk doesn't have to think about being strong or deflecting bullets and Bigby doesn't have to think about finding and tracking his opponents. It's going to be much harder to distract them from their objective through things like pain, which is ultimately what any fight comes down to - ability to focus your relevant skills on your enemies' weaknesses. If you CAN'T be distracted, you've got an immediate and nearly unbeatable advantage over someone who can be.

Alright, I'm off to buy comics, carry on.

The Cow on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    The bullets hit him because he turned off his field so the Drummer could get good readings, presumably this course of action was a result of him being in a sci-fi movie.

There's no drummer around, and therefore no reason at all to turn off his field, which fucks up datastreams like the kind Cable uses to fuck with people's heads.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I thought the field was always off, until he turned it on to do specific stuff? That's how the visual cues in the comics look. If he has it turned on all the time, what does it do? Is it auto-set to "slow down time around me"? Or some other effect?

Adaemus1sf on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I think he just kind of switches it on when he's in danger. Or some shit.

I don't know. Everybody has a fighting chance here, really, except for Hulk who will probably just plow through everybody.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I still think that if Cable could catch Hulk off guard he could use a force field to toss him into space and out of the arena. Thats about the only way I can think of for any of the competitors to take him down. Chase can't hurt him and as much as I like Bigby, without the Vorpal sword he does not have what it takes physically to bring him down.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Marathon wrote:
    I still think that if Cable could catch Hulk off guard he could use a force field to toss him into space and out of the arena. Thats about the only way I can think of for any of the competitors to take him down. Chase can't hurt him and as much as I like Bigby, without the Vorpal sword he does not have what it takes physically to bring him down.
    Bigby can produce amazingly powerful winds which could certainly push Hulk around, though Hulk would probably have to be airborne (not much of a problem, since he jumps to get around quickly) for it to carry him out of the ring.

Adaemus1sf on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Couldn't Hulk break the force field? How fast would the field move too?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Even if he broke the field, once it had given him momentum he'd be out of there. He's got no way of stopping himself midair.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Apparently in the most recent issue of Cable and Deadpool the forcefield contained a nuclear explosion, so Hulk would have to work himself up to break the field, I think.

Adaemus1sf on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Apparently in the most recent issue of Cable and Deadpool the forcefield contained a nuclear explosion, so Hulk would have to work himself up to break the field, I think.

Just so you know, Hulk strongest there is.

Also: Cable can't use infonet to fuck with anyone's heads, considering Ambrose's field could likely(from what it did to drummer's field) stop it from working.

And not a single person in this fight could take out ambrose with his shield up. Which he'll have up all the time because

a. No reason not to interrupt drummer/cable fields.

b. It's a fight. The entire thing is a dangerous situation, so he'll have his guard up.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    I, like any child, am aware of that, but it is not commonly accepted, I think, that Hulk's punches have more force than an atomic explosion until he has worked up some anger and thus strength.

Adaemus1sf on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Also: Cable can't use infonet to fuck with anyone's heads, considering Ambrose's field could likely(from what it did to drummer's field) stop it from working.

And not a single person in this fight could take out ambrose with his shield up. Which he'll have up all the time because

b. It's a fight. The entire thing is a dangerous situation, so he'll have his guard up.

If Ambrose can't resist the force of a Superman shove that he knows is coming when his shield is up, then how can he stop a full force wind that catches him off guard?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Wait, battle world is NOT Earth right? In which case there is no fucking infonet is there? Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

Once again I must say that blowing Bigby into space is simply not an option. The guy controls wind ferchrissakes.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

If Ambrose can't resist the force of a Superman shove that he knows is coming when his shield is up, then how can he stop a full force wind that catches him off guard?

Because being shoved by Superman is a bit different from having someone blow on you really hard.

Being shoved by Superman is at least a hundred times worse than that. Especially a pissed-off Superman.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

That was superman moving at near lightspeed.

Also it wasn't canon seeing as how superman couldn't fly or breathe in space in it, and it was an elseworlds.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Because being shoved by Superman is a bit different from having someone blow on you really hard.

Being shoved by Superman is at least a hundred times worse than that. Especially a pissed-off Superman.

I don't know. I think being shoved by Superman would be somewhat less powerful than getting hit by the winds of an F5 hurricane.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

I don't know. I think being shoved by Superman would be somewhat less powerful than getting hit by the winds of an F5 hurricane.

Nope, you'd be wrong there. Getting shoved by Superman is several times worse than that.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

That was superman moving at near lightspeed.

Also it wasn't canon seeing as how superman couldn't fly or breathe in space in it, and it was an elseworlds.
    Wait, so, of the two appearances Chase has made in comics, one doesn't count because it was an elseworlds and the other doesn't count because he was in fiction world and thus reality was preventing him from being as awesome as he should?

Adaemus1sf on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    It doesn't matter which is harder. If he can't resist one, then why would he be able to resist the other?

And Terra Occulta was written by Warren Ellis, so I'm going to consider it an accurate representation of Chase's powers.

Superman suffocated because of the things that were done to disable him.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    It doesn't matter which is harder. If he can't resist one, then why would he be able to resist the other?

Are you serious?

A guy gets hit by a truck and dies. According to your logic, when he gets hit by a babycart at a leisurly pace, he should die, too.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Wait, battle world is NOT Earth right? In which case there is no fucking infonet is there? Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

Once again I must say that blowing Bigby into space is simply not an option. The guy controls wind ferchrissakes.
    I agree that the infonet shouldn't be there, but I think the response is "If th characters don't get to use their powers, why are they even in the contest?" So we bend the rules to make it a fight.

Adaemus1sf on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I still don't think Chase would win, I mean, the guy got shot to death.

[spoiler:5c42247163] <3<3 Spex, just kidding[/spoiler:5c42247163]

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    argno.jpg

DO NOT JOKE ABOUT THAT

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Are you serious?

A guy gets hit by a truck and dies. According to your logic, when he gets hit by a babycart at a leisurly pace, he should die, too.

More like, a guy gets hit by a truck compared to a guy gets hit by a rocket. These are both, after all, lethal forces.

If Superman is a little stronger than a wind, does it really make a difference? Ambrose wasn't this close to resisting Superman. Slightly less force shouldn't make a difference.

And these are supernaturally strong winds. He's the son of the god of Wind.

robosagogo on