As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DBZ Fighting Games - BT2 Out Now

• Options
    AlecAlec Louisville, KYRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I just want to say that I picked this up on a whim, as I haven't played a DBZ since Budokai 1.

It is easily the most fun I've had with the Wii controller so far, and it makes me love DBZ way more than I ever did when I was actually watching the series in Japanese.

Alec on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Alec wrote:
    I just want to say that I picked this up on a whim, as I haven't played a DBZ since Budokai 1.

It is easily the most fun I've had with the Wii controller so far, and it makes me love DBZ way more than I ever did when I was actually watching the series in Japanese.

I've contemplated getting thise for the Wii(that is, after I get a Wii), and I can imagine myself actually getting really into it and yelling out the moves as I do them.

So sad. And immensley funny.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    AlecAlec Louisville, KYRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Docshifty wrote:
    Alec wrote:

I've contemplated getting thise for the Wii(that is, after I get a Wii), and I can imagine myself actually getting really into it and yelling out the moves as I do them.

So sad. And immensley funny.

It seriously is fun. It's the game that has gotten the most play time so far (other than Zelda), and I've got 10 Wii games.

Alec on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've played it much more than Zelda, oddly enough. Which is funny becaust I don't even technically own Tenkaichi 2.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've played it much more than Zelda, oddly enough. Which is funny becaust I don't even technically own Tenkaichi 2.

Yep, I've played DBZ more as well...though I DO own it. :P

The main thing I like so far is how the wii controls are use. Once it clicks, it just feels so right. I haven't gotten to that point with Zelda yet.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Heir wrote:

The main thing I like so far is how the wii controls are use. Once it clicks, it just feels so right. I haven't gotten to that point with Zelda yet.

Cool, I'm not the only weirdo. I played this way more than Zelda too.

I think the thing I love about it, is all the little touches that reminds me of DBZ.
    Like I was in the Cell Saga, and had to fight Cell using Tien. Not having bothered to use him before, I wonder if he has that triangle attack from the anime, since he did use it agaisnt cell. Lo and Behold, he does. It not only looks perfect, but it also takes away his life each time he does it, just like in the anime.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So is there any magic way to win beam battles or the other thing that uses the "analog jerk off battle"? I'm having trouble having fun when I constantly lose beam battles to frieza's random henchman #3 as Goku or Vegeta.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kaosu ReidoKaosu Reido Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Fiatil wrote:
    So is there any magic way to win beam battles or the other thing that uses the "analog jerk off battle"? I'm having trouble having fun when I constantly lose beam battles to frieza's random henchman #3 as Goku or Vegeta.

Roll the bitches really fast before the battle even starts. You'll have momentum at that point, which should help you keep up. It should be REALLY obvious when a Beam Battle's gonna begin, but it's not as simple for Hand-To-Hand, unless Rushes are involved.

Kaosu Reido on
    KAOSU REIDO - The Bullet Of Justice Caps Evil's Ass

dygenguardsig2asp0.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    The melee clashes are harder to see coming, but I personally find them a bit easier to win.

Note that you can also put more energy into the blast clashes by hitting Z (I think. Thats Wii version, obviously), but if you use up all your energy, you'll end up dazed after the clash ends.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, I've started anticipating beam battles, so realizing it's happening isn't really the problem anymore, it's just I believe it is physically impossible to rotate the analog stick fast enough to win any of them.

Oh and yeah, I have been holding down Z during beam battles, to no avail.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The melee clashes are harder to see coming, but I personally find them a bit easier to win.

Note that you can also put more energy into the blast clashes by hitting Z (I think. Thats Wii version, obviously), but if you use up all your energy, you'll end up dazed after the clash ends.

BADLY DAZED, like ten seconds or more. Sometimes I purposely lose a beam duel that my friend has thrown everything into, use a charge up to max move, and give them hell.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    Kaosu ReidoKaosu Reido Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Fiatil wrote:
    Yeah, I've started anticipating beam battles, so realizing it's happening isn't really the problem anymore, it's just I believe it is physically impossible to rotate the analog stick fast enough to win any of them.

Well, one, holding Z doesn't help much. Tapping Z is all that's needed to start pumping energy in. Also, I don't think doing that makes it easier to win; I think it makes the result do more damage IF you win.

Could be wrong, though.

Kaosu Reido on
    KAOSU REIDO - The Bullet Of Justice Caps Evil's Ass

dygenguardsig2asp0.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kyougu wrote:
    Heir wrote:

Cool, I'm not the only weirdo. I played this way more than Zelda too.

I think the thing I love about it, is all the little touches that reminds me of DBZ.
    Like I was in the Cell Saga, and had to fight Cell using Tien. Not having bothered to use him before, I wonder if he has that triangle attack from the anime, since he did use it agaisnt cell. Lo and Behold, he does. It not only looks perfect, but it also takes away his life each time he does it, just like in the anime.

Yeah, the little touches are really nice. I was over at a friends house and noticed he had some of the DBZ manga (in korean, no less). So I flip through it. It happens to be Frieza versus Goku. Frieza threw a bunch of rocks at Goku, who gets distracted dodging them, allowing Frieza to apear behind him, trap Goku in an energy ball and blast him into the ground. This is like, verbatim one of the special attacks 4th form Frieza has in this game. To see them stay so true to the series really made me happy. I don't own the game, played it at a friends house though. I know it's waiting for me under the tree too.

On a slightly related note, good god the manga moves SO much faster than the TV show. When Frieza kills picolo and krillin it takes 1 page for piccolo and then 1 page for krillin. It happened so fast I almost missed it. After that in like two panels Goku goes from uncharged to super saiyan. I was quite suprised.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Anyway, I wasn't getting into very many beam battles against the CPU at all. I guess it happened every now and then, but it was not common. Rather than challenging his beams, just block or dodge and then attack. If he's the one responding to your beams, don't use them quite as often.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, it doesn't happen entirely too often. It just makes me feel much less awesome when I know "oh shit, I'm a beam battle, I should just give up."

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Anyway, I wasn't getting into very many beam battles against the CPU at all. I guess it happened every now and then, but it was not common. Rather than challenging his beams, just block or dodge and then attack. If he's the one responding to your beams, don't use them quite as often.

I've noticed a couple of the cpu characters will spam their beams. Particularly Krillin and his Kamehameha.

He doesn't even bother to charge it too, which makes it a tad harder to dodge it.

And I too enjoy the touches. I made sure that SSJ2 Gohan used his ultimate blast to finish off cell, and SSJ Goku used his one handed Kamehameha to finish off Frieza.

Edit: And I don't care if I don't know what they're saying half the time, the Japanese dubs are leaps and bounds better than that crap that Funimation spewed out.

At least the first and second season VA's were passable, but those new guys completely destroyed it.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Fiatil wrote:

Well, one, holding Z doesn't help much. Tapping Z is all that's needed to start pumping energy in. Also, I don't think doing that makes it easier to win; I think it makes the result do more damage IF you win.

Could be wrong, though.

It does. Two things you need to know about beam duels; stronger beams have the advantage. An ultimate beam will require less rotation to win than a fully charged Blast 2, a fully charged blast 2 is better than an uncharged one. I do not know if it also goes on the base damage of the beam, but it might. I do know that if you pour in energy right as the tug of war part starts, it will move the beam significantly. At least it seems to.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    is there any way to go back and watch the custcenes? I love those, and would like to show my friends them.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    is there any way to go back and watch the
    custcenes? I love those, and would like to show my friends them.

You mean the story cut scenes, right? Not the dragon rush ones?
    Cause I found the story cut scenes to be pretty lame.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Speaking of cutscenes (the ones with the action in it, like in the series), I was sad they didn't show the cool meta-Cooler scene where Goku and Vegeta rush through thousands of Coolers to destroy the core. Instead they just end it and say "With one last bout of energy, they destroy the Neko? Star! The end."

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I got this for xmas and its easily getting more playtime than any of my other wii titles..i love the wii remote controls however i may soon be forced to switch to a GC controller because of how ridiculously close the wii controls make you sit to the tv..for no bloody reason..it makes me want to kick a kitten :evil:
    EDIT: and i was just playing with a friend..and did a spirit bomb..which hit a ledge he was under, making me scream in fury that i missed..until it went to the cutscene of the eart going boom and completely warped the battlefield AND hitting him... <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I got this for xmas and its easily getting more playtime than any of my other wii titles..i love the wii remote controls however i may soon be forced to switch to a GC controller because of how ridiculously close the wii controls make you sit to the tv..for no bloody reason..it makes me want to kick a kitten :evil:
    EDIT: and i was just playing with a friend..and did a spirit bomb..which hit a ledge he was under, making me scream in fury that i missed..until it went to the cutscene of the eart going boom and completely warped the battlefield AND hitting him... <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Wait till you get till the cell saga. I think from there, to the buu saga, they really give you ton's of bad ass characters and attacks.

SSJ2 Teen Gohan is a personal fave.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I love this game on the Wii, but God DAMNIT I can't dodge as good as I could in BT. Any pointers on how to dodge people in this game?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I love this game on the Wii, but God DAMNIT I can't dodge as good as I could in BT. Any pointers on how to dodge people in this game?

i also suck at dodging..my strategy so far is to pound them into the ground so ferociously i dont need to dodge :oops:
    and i'm still very early in the game..but nothing matches the satisfaction of unlocking giant ape vegeta then entering the world martial arts championship and cell games and pounding every other fighter into the ground with impunity as no other fighters i've unlocked yet can stand up to him :D

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Dashui wrote:
    Speaking of cutscenes (the ones with the action in it, like in the series), I was sad they didn't show the cool meta-Cooler scene where Goku and Vegeta rush through thousands of Coolers to destroy the core. Instead they just end it and say "With one last bout of energy, they destroy the Neko? Star! The end."
    I was sad they didn't show the thousand Coolers when they finally finished off the first one. Now it's just "Two Coolers!", rather than the solid wall of them before they're captured.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    so ok...I have a Wii now thanks to the happening of Christmas. I love it and I love the innovation. My ps3 is kinda not getting any attention due to the Wii being the win. Now, I got Trauma Center and Zelda which are both amazing. I wanna get BT2, but I have one small problem with DBZ...I hate the show to no end. I love anime but can't stand the show whatsoever. However, I've watched my friends play the budokai games 1, 2 and 3. 3 was very fun to watch and I gained alot of interest in the games from that one. However, I heard they were very shallow (nothing more than a few punches and kicks + special attacks...nowhere close to, say, VF4: Evo). I am tempted to get Tenkaichi 2, but I would be very sad if it was shallow and made me lose interest at the end of day 1. Given that it uses the wii controls exclusively and very agressively makes me happy and piqued my interest.

Could someone tell me a very honest answer as to its depth? is it deep solely because it being harder due strictly to the fact you need to use the wiimote? is it shallow at all? Is it more than a few punches and kicks? And...here's a big one, are any of the characters unique in their fighting abilities or are they (for the most part) skin swaps? I remember hearing from my friends that while Budokai 3 was really fun, none of the characters were unique in how they played. Basically I am hoping it will keep me busy single player for a while (until I get a second controller) and won't get stale very shortly after the excitement of the wii controls wears off.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    so ok...I have a Wii now thanks to the happening of Christmas. I love it and I love the innovation. My ps3 is kinda not getting any attention due to the Wii being the win. Now, I got Trauma Center and Zelda which are both amazing. I wanna get BT2, but I have one small problem with DBZ...I hate the show to no end. I love anime but can't stand the show whatsoever. However, I've watched my friends play the budokai games 1, 2 and 3. 3 was very fun to watch and I gained alot of interest in the games from that one. However, I heard they were very shallow (nothing more than a few punches and kicks + special attacks...nowhere close to, say, VF4: Evo). I am tempted to get Tenkaichi 2, but I would be very sad if it was shallow and made me lose interest at the end of day 1. Given that it uses the wii controls exclusively and very agressively makes me happy and piqued my interest.

Could someone tell me a very honest answer as to its depth? is it deep solely because it being harder due strictly to the fact you need to use the wiimote? is it shallow at all? Is it more than a few punches and kicks? And...here's a big one, are any of the characters unique in their fighting abilities or are they (for the most part) skin swaps? I remember hearing from my friends that while Budokai 3 was really fun, none of the characters were unique in how they played. Basically I am hoping it will keep me busy single player for a while (until I get a second controller) and won't get stale very shortly after the excitement of the wii controls wears off.

Its a bit hard for me to reply to this, because honestly, I don't play tons of fighting games, so comparisons are hard. That said, I love this game. The characters are all similar, yes, but in the same vein, not. Different blast moves for every character and transformation. Different characters have different healths, speeds, max power durations, etc. To me, the characters are close enough that you can figure out how to fight with one you've never used pretty quickly, though strategies can vary alot(I might just melee-spam in max power with Omega Shenron, while I might try to get max power as Frieza 100% so I can use his ultimate blast. I might use a good amount of blast 2 attacks with gohan, while meleeing inbetween, while I'd probably melee more with say piccolo, using a blast two inbetween combo's.

It seems important to the single-player. You play as a bunch of different characters in it, so if every character was heavily different, every battle would be re-learning how to play, and would take you even longer than it already takes, which is a very long time.

Anyways, I'm a bit sad. I got BT2 for the Wii on christmas. I wanted it, and I asked for it. The thing is, I already beat it on the ps2(brother had it rented out, he works at hollywood video). Also, I only have one controller. So, I havn't even opened it, because I don't have much to do with it. After I get through the five or so other games I need to play the hell out of, I'm sure I'll play through on the Wii(lvl 8 playthrough on level 3, perhaps).

I love this game though, best fighting game I think I've ever played. Wii controls can be a little wierd sometimes, compared with the responsiveness of the PS2 ones(I cannot get a dragon rush to work, either, which sucks). By the way, to validate what I've said, my friends have the wii version as well, so I've played that extensively.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    i just hit turles and omg did they ramp up the difficulty, i havent had any trouble with any fights up to this point..and i think i've managed to get turles into his first bar of yellow ONCE, he just stands back and blasts me with his beam 2 barrage whatever, even if i teleport dodge the first one the rest of it tracks and knocks me down, and by the time i get up, he's charged enough to have another one coming at me :cry:
    edit: also, what do the beam 1's like Gokus kaio ken do? it just makes him red and funny little icons appear under his health as far as i can tell ?

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This game has brought back my fucking Mario Party palm. Goddamn it, Nintendo!

Atheraal on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    i just hit turles and omg did they ramp up the difficulty, i havent had any trouble with any fights up to this point..and i think i've managed to get turles into his first bar of yellow ONCE, he just stands back and blasts me with his beam 2 barrage whatever, even if i teleport dodge the first one the rest of it tracks and knocks me down, and by the time i get up, he's charged enough to have another one coming at me :cry:
    edit: also, what do the beam 1's like Gokus kaio ken do? it just makes him red and funny little icons appear under his health as far as i can tell ?

If you're somewhat far away when he does his barrage, dragon dash to the side and they'll all miss you. If he's right in your face, your best bet is to equip Perfect Stance which reduces all damage taken while blocking to zero.

And the Kaio-ken is like when you go max power, it ups your stats, damage, speed, all that jaz.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    SyphilisaurusSyphilisaurus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Docshifty wrote:

If you're somewhat far away when he does his barrage, dragon dash to the side and they'll all miss you. If he's right in your face, your best bet is to equip Perfect Stance which reduces all damage taken while blocking to zero.

And the Kaio-ken is like when you go max power, it ups your stats, damage, speed, all that jaz.
    This is how bad I don't understand defense:
    How do you teleport dodge correctly?
    and
    How do you do a perfect stance and block beam attacks?

Syphilisaurus on
    adsigcopy4kn.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Docshifty wrote:

This is how bad I don't understand defense:
    How do you teleport dodge correctly?
    and
    How do you do a perfect stance and block beam attacks?

To teleport dodge, you have to press block+direction just before the attack hits you. As far as beam attacks go, you can teleport block, dash to the side, or block and take some damage.

Perfect Stance is a z item the reduces all damage taken while blocking to zero. Note that rush attacks still hit you.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    You can also "power block" Not sure if that is the correct term or not. But you assume a slightly different blocking stance and take less damage than a normal block, it drains Ki over time though.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    SyphilisaurusSyphilisaurus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    And to power block, that's just power-up (Z) plus dodge?

Syphilisaurus on
    adsigcopy4kn.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006

Oh man. I totally forgot to say how to power-block. Now I feel really dumb.

I think it's actually block + B to power block. Atleast, that is how it is on mecha-frieza.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Inquisitor wrote:

I think it's actually block + B to power block. Atleast, that is how it is on mecha-frieza.

I'm assuming its power up+block. That'd make the most sense. But it seems like it'd work to adding your ki bar to blast battles in that if you use it all, you'll be dazed afterwards. But I don't know for sure. Still, safe than sorry, eh?

And I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating. Fuck playing Hercule.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Docshifty wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:

I'm assuming its power up+block. That'd make the most sense. But it seems like it'd work to adding your ki bar to blast battles in that if you use it all, you'll be dazed afterwards. But I don't know for sure. Still, safe than sorry, eh?

I know for a FACT that is is B+block for mecha-frieza, and not power-up+block. Trust me, I just did it 5 seconds ago. Frieza gaurds himself really close and lets his tail thrash around, and your ki goes down.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Docshifty wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:

I know for a FACT that is is B+block for mecha-frieza, and not power-up+block. Trust me, I just did it 5 seconds ago. Frieza gaurds himself really close and lets his tail thrash around, and your ki goes down.

Have you depleted your entire ki bar while doing that, though? If that happens you may end up dazed, just like throwing your entire ki bar into a blast battle.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Docshifty wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:

Yeah, it's block and B. It's the only block that will stop rushes, and I had to keep doing it when I was fighting the comp, since they would just spam their rush move over and over again.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    It is Block + B.

If it does deplete your ki, it isn't that fast from what I've seen.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png