As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How to not get scammed on craigslist

JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm selling a few particular large electronic items on Craigslist. And I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to avoid getting scammed, I've heard of people using fake money and so on and am a bit paranoid.

steam_sig.png
JWashke on

• EcstasyEcstasy Registered User new member
    edited October 2008
    I've never had any problems.

Just don't sell to people who are clearly idiots.

Example:

Good day to you.
    Did you still have this for sale on craigslist and let me know if you accept paypal as payment mehod as well,
    pls let me know now
    Thanks

Yes I still have it although many people have taken an interest in it so I do not know for how much longer ... and yes I can take paypal

Hello there....i have made the payment of $180 to your paypal account and i will like to know if you have been contacted my paypal....please do ship the item out via usps post office to the address confirmed by paypal through the payment made.
    Please do get back to me asap.
    Thanks alot
    Lois

First of all, I was asking $100.
    Second, I never told her I would sell to her.
    Third, I never gave her my paypal address.

I had another guy wanting me to ship to his only son in Africa.

Just don't ship, deal with people locally. Generally I've found people to kind. If the money does end up being fake, you know what they look like so you can turn them in. Chances are they'll drive there, so you'll have their license plate # as well.

Ecstasy on
  • grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fake cash, I don't know how you can avoid that. Otherwise, always insist on cash. No check, no money orders, nothing that isn't cash. I've never heard of anyone getting dealt counterfeit money, though I'm sure it happens. Try to have someone else around at the time, a friend or someone. I've never sold anything for more than $100, and it wasn't electronics.

Also, under no circumstances whatsoever should you accept any mailed payments from a potential buyer out of the city. That's a classic scam.

EDIT: Never thought to use paypal, but that works too.

grungebox on
    Quail is just hipster chicken
  • JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Alright thanks guys, I thought I remember a post here about someone using fake money. But yeah I was planning on meeting locally and only taking cash. Paypal would be fine, except with meeting locally and not shipping the item, it seems like they could say they never recieved it and paypal would refund them since I wouldn't be able to provide a tracking number.

Haha, Ectasy the whole ship to Africa thing. When I first sold stuff on ebay years ago I got scammed with the whole traveling abroad thing.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cash rules everything around me

C.R.E.A.M

Dolla dolla bills ya'll

That's about all you need to know to deal on Craigslist.

Sir Carcass on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If you're worried about getting fake cash ask them to meet you at a Starbucks or something where they have the pens to check for counterfeit bills. Though as someone posted in another thread make sure to check more than one.

Quid on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    JWashke wrote: »
    Alright thanks guys, I thought I remember a post here about someone using fake money. But yeah I was planning on meeting locally and only taking cash. Paypal would be fine, except with meeting locally and not shipping the item, it seems like they could say they never recieved it and paypal would refund them since I wouldn't be able to provide a tracking number.

Haha, Ectasy the whole ship to Africa thing. When I first sold stuff on ebay years ago I got scammed with the whole traveling abroad thing.

The guy who was scammed with fake money did it in a place with cameras and the police were able to apprehend the suspect.

DeShadowC on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think you can get those counterfeit detecting pens at an officemax or office depot. I was considering getting one as I also want to sell some things on craigslist.

They can only tell if the money was printed on wood-based paper vs fiber-based paper. If you get a fake, it'll likely be printed on wood-based paper, unless you hang out with bigtime drug smugglers or terrorists.

Djeet on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Djeet wrote: »
    I think you can get those counterfeit detecting pens at an officemax or office depot. I was considering getting one as I also want to sell some things on craigslist.

They can only tell if the money was printed on wood-based paper vs fiber-based paper. If you get a fake, it'll likely be printed on wood-based paper, unless you hang out with bigtime drug smugglers or terrorists.
    ...who probably don't need to go to craigslist for their electronics needs. If you're worried about the cash, I'd just buy a pen. It sounds like you're doing it right otherwise.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, if you're really worried, you can get one of those pens from Staples that tests the paper. If they have counterfeit money using real paper, you got to wonder why they are wasting time scamming stereos off people one Craigslist.

Also, check out the Bureau of Engraving and Printing's website that details security features in the new bills. Even if someone is able to print money that looks real, it most likely won't have the watermarks and security strips that are now embedded in currency.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    When the price point gets so high people don't want to have cash on them (say the electronics are worth 1k+) what is the safest way to collect money? Money order? Cashier's check?

Sharp10r on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Paypal.

I've sold a fair amount of stuff on craigslist, from furniture to a huge rear projection HDTV. I've just had the person come pick it up. They hand you the wad, you count it. If you're suspicious, "lose count" on the last few bills and start over. Fake bills typically stand out; the good counterfeiters aren't scamming craigslisters.

Don't set things up via email -- respond to a legit email with "call me at [number] and we'll hash it out." Most people are looking for a deal, and most scammers stand out like sore thumbs. Don't respond to an email that just mentions "the item" or "i saw your post is it still available?" Look for specifics, like they're in the area or they work around you and can pick it up after work, etc.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sharp10r wrote: »
    When the price point gets so high people don't want to have cash on them (say the electronics are worth 1k+) what is the safest way to collect money? Money order? Cashier's check?

You can always meet at their bank and either get a cashiers check on the spot, or just cash their check at their bank.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    if you do it via Paypal, make sure to withdraw the money ASAP.... most fraud involving Paypal happens when the seller decides to report your transaction as fraudulent (or the account was hacked)... in this case, Paypal automatically takes your cash until you prove the transaction was legit

and with an in-person meeting, you have no way of proving that

if you withdraw the money ASAP, Paypal and the scammer are SOL...

illig on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    illig wrote: »
    if you do it via Paypal, make sure to withdraw the money ASAP.... most fraud involving Paypal happens when the seller decides to report your transaction as fraudulent (or the account was hacked)... in this case, Paypal automatically takes your cash until you prove the transaction was legit

Seems to me that Paypal could still debit your account, leaving you with a negative balance.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    illig wrote: »

Seems to me that Paypal could still debit your account, leaving you with a negative balance.

they can't take money you don't have in your account

it'll basically mean that your account is no longer usable (i.e. if you use it again, they will take your cash), but for several hundred $$ i'd be willing to do so

illig on
  • locomotivemanlocomotiveman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It seems to me that if you were to have them pay via usps money order they would have to commit some form of mail fraud to fake one.

locomotiveman on
    aquabat wrote:
    I actually worked at work on Saturday. Also I went out on a date with a real life girl.

Can you like, permanently break the forums?
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I''d avoid cashiers checks unless you see the bank official sign it (only cashiers checks I've ever purchased required a bank official to sign it, the manager I believe). Also I'd avoid money orders altogether, not least since craiglist says the following under their "how not to get scammed" advice.

"FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later."

Djeet on
  • Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Make it easy on your self. If you're selling something with specs, put them up. A picture is always good as well to show condition. People asking too many questions are ususally a hastle in the end.

CASH CASH CASH. If your paranoid, you could meet somewhere more public if you don't want strangers coming to your house.

When I sold my old computer for $300 on craigslist I got 3-5 emails that were barely english that may or may not have been legit. After a week or so I got a couple or emails I could actually understand and got the deal done.

Gilbert0 on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    people won't usually get counterfeit cash

it's pretty hard to fake money for the average joe. as soon as you touch it/ hold it up to the light you can usually tell if it's real

Raneados on