As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

COSMOS FANTASTICA: Marvel Cosmic B.S. Thread

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, it was this:

a397.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thought so. Also, that cover artist has Finch's Syndrome. Severe lack of man feet.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That's Mike Deodato Jr., actually. He's now turned his style into a darker one, lots of shadows like what he's done on Dark Avengers and Secret Avengers. Basically everything he's done since 2004.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Woah, really? That is a serious change in style! And as much as he has been over used on anything with "Avengers" on it, i far prefer his more recent stuff. It's more distinct.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The first I ever heard of Deathcry was in the Starlord A:Conquest mini. Should've known they didn't just make her up for that. It sounds like she's always acted like a psychotic idiot.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Alright,

I picked up all of Annihilation, A: Conquest 1, and Guardians of the Galaxy 1 from the TFAW nick/dent sales.

Next month I'll grab A: Conquest 2, GotG 2-4, and the Realm of Kings hardcover.

I am all in on this, it's one of the last things from the Big 2 that I've wanted to jump aboard, with the final one essentially being Thor.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You sir are in for some good reading!

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just received my copy of Annihilation Classic, which has a bunch of origin stories of characters from Annihilation, like Rocket Raccoon, Quasar, Nova etc. It's pretty good. I'm also going to pick up the Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos collection, and then I'm going to delve into the recent Marvel cosmic material, starting with Annihilation.

dclee on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    if you don't have infinity gauntlet, get infinity gauntlet

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I used to have the TPB of it but I'm planning on picking up the Marvel premiere hardcover version of it sometime soon too. Also, the Marvel: The End HC comes out in October and I'll probably pick that up too. Love me some Thanos :mrgreen:

dclee on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dammit I don't think I can stand trade-waiting anymore for Thanos Imperative after reading all the Realm of Kings stuff. I won't have access to comics by December but the last issue of TI is November so I either get the issues now or wait till the hardcover comes out. Argh.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Are any of the cosmic-based Marvel Masterworks collections worth picking up? Captain Marvel, Silver Surfer, and Warlock have all received the Masterworks treatment though I'm not sure how good these older stories are.

dclee on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Cool, I've actually been planning on picking up some more Marvel Premiere Classic hardcovers after buying Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos a few weeks back. I'll add a couple to the list which I haven't read yet but are cosmic stories.

http://www.amazon.com/Avengers-Contest-Marvel-Premiere-Classic/dp/0785145060/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283048848&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Fantastic-Four-Galactus-Marv-Wolfman/dp/0785137343/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283049014&sr=1-1

dclee on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Contest is neat and the Galactus one is the first appearance of Terrax the Tamer, which is radical, but of all the ones linked, the Hercules one is the best by a wide margin

Hercules as a space drunk fighting space monsters

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thanos Imperative #4 was pretty much the exact way to tell a cosmic story. Lots of fun, and some nice wit from Silver Surfer (someone make a MOTW thread)

Also

Thanos cannot die because Death has rejected him. He just got served with one nasty breakup hyuck hycuk.

And he killed Drax.

And Demon Captain Marvel completely kicked Nova's ass, and then blew up his ship to try and kill the big guns.

And I don't know, but I kind of have a feeling Nova was infected with a Cthullu thing, we just won't see it until #5 or 6. Just a feeling.

I really think by the end of the event it will be as good as Doomwar, which is really saying something.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Thanos Imperative #4 was pretty much the exact way to tell a cosmic story. Lots of fun, and some nice wit from Silver Surfer (someone make a MOTW thread)

Also

Thanos cannot die because Death has rejected him. He just got served with one nasty breakup hyuck hycuk.

And he killed Drax.

And Demon Captain Marvel completely kicked Nova's ass, and then blew up his ship to try and kill the big guns.

And I don't know, but I kind of have a feeling Nova was infected with a Cthullu thing, we just won't see it until #5 or 6. Just a feeling.

I really think by the end of the event it will be as good as Doomwar, which is really saying something.

Meh! Deah has done this before, and took him back. She's a pretty fickle girl, but deep down, she wants the Thanos.

Matthew on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Matthew wrote: »

Also

And he killed Drax.

Meh! Deah has done this before, and took him back. She's a pretty fickle girl, but deep down, she wants the Thanos.

No way, Death loves Deadpool

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So glad to see
    Drax dead

Weaver on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Weaver wrote: »
    So glad to see
    Drax dead

Ehhh....

I won't miss his hideous costume. lets leave it at that.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    So glad to see
    Drax dead

Ehhh....

I won't miss his hideous costume. lets leave it at that.

The leathers were cool, the skullcap not so much.

Solar on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    To be fair, with a costume like that i'm impressed Star Lord didn't shoot him in the head on sight.
    He won't stay dead though. THEY NEVER DO.

Karl on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The fight between the Revengers and Nova & co. was great. Cosmic Avengers, kicking ass. Before this is over, someone will totally punch out Cthulhu. I still find it amazing that I can see Nova amongst the likes of Silver Surfer and Gladiator, and not think of him as out of his league.

The book's been great so far, although I still have yet to see anything that equals Annihilation for creating a sense of combat on a massive scale. I guess with Annihilation it was less about holding the line - the Cancerverse is being held at the Fault region, while the Annihilation Wave essentially won the war and was rampaging throughout the entire universe before it was finally stopped. TI just about captured that feeling with the conflict between the Abstracts, but I wish we could see more of the battle on a wider front. Here's hoping for a What If or Tales of TI book after the main series is done.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yak I imagine the battle scene at the fault will be revisited.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Micronauts type story called Enigma Force

Ties into the Incredible Hulks: Dark Son thingamabob.

Bug is in it because he was a Micronaut or something Marvel won in a lawsuit (?), so I wonder if this gives more of an idea of what we'll see with cosmic marvel.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    And in the home stretch, Thanos Imperative #5
    Thanos pulls a Cyborg Superman, offering to serve Mar-vel if he will kill him permanently

This could be a feint, but it ties into him wanting to die again because he's so tired of living.

And Nova is heading over to the cancerverse to help out Star Lord, although I do get the feeling Rich might die at the end of this series, to mark a real end to this chapter of Cosmic Marvel.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanos pulls a Cyborg Superman, offering to serve Mar-vel if he will kill him permanently

This could be a feint, but it ties into him wanting to die again because he's so tired of living.

And Nova is heading over to the cancerverse to help out Star Lord, although I do get the feeling Rich might die at the end of this series, to mark a real end to this chapter of Cosmic Marvel.

That would (TI#6 Potential Spoilers)
    match some online speculation that's come out post NYCC - apparently, a fan saw some pages from TI#6, and one of them has tribute statues of Nova/Starlord. I'm thinking they both get stuck in the Cancerverse.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It would be fitting if it happens (though equally so if it doesn't) yet sad, I honestly care about those characters. I was hoping that there would be more Cosmic stuff after this series but it looks more and more like there won't be.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

That would (TI#6 Potential Spoilers)
    match some online speculation that's come out post NYCC - apparently, a fan saw some pages from TI#6, and one of them has tribute statues of Nova/Starlord. I'm thinking they both get stuck in the Cancerverse.

nooooooooo

You don't do that and then put the books "on hiatus."

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Welp, Thanos Imperative comes to an end tomorrow. #6 preview:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=6891&disp=table

Pretty eager to see how Star-Lord and the gang manage to pull this one off.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Golden Yak wrote: »

I am pretty excited for this. So many of the characters are minor ones and we know that it has all come down to this point, anyone could bite it and anything could happen. More pumped for this than for any of the other mainstream Marvel events that have happened since ever.

Solar on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's cool. Thanos has this handled.

august on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Seems to me they might be putting down nova; all kinds of allusions to it. :(

Gaddez on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I really can see it happening, to be honest. Hope it won't, but it certainly might.

Solar on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I will be the saddest person if they kill Richard.

The saddest.

Karl on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Going off of that preview my guess is
    Bloody Phylla is back again, given all the talk about Thanatos being the last whisper, and the fact the instrument is a sword and she's the only character who's been both gothed up and waving a sword around lately.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    1289406988.jpg

I'm sure this shall provide years worth of stories as much as Peter revealing his identity to the world, oh wait.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Going off of that preview my guess is
    Bloody Phylla is back again, given all the talk about Thanatos being the last whisper, and the fact the instrument is a sword and she's the only character who's been both gothed up and waving a sword around lately.

I always prefer to see a character redeemed and done well rather than die horribly.
    And Phylla died pretty horribly, all right. Though since the Guardians haven't really mentioned her, I'd be surprised if it's that. Even Moondragon has had more to say about hating Thanos than missing Phylla. If we have to have a Captain Marvel powered by Death show up to save the day, I say let's have the original.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is it just me or . . .
    did anyone else notice that Death was crying when Thanos was begging her to talk to him?

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You're 100% correct, Witch Hunter. I give you Cosmo paws up.
    I guess she wants him to live to both continue to send people her way as well as because it's what he needs to do.

And Cosmo has heard all the break up lines before, seems like someone's a hound dog....

TexiKen on