As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

buying a cable modem (solved)

RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I need to get a new cable modem. Should I just get the cheapest one I can find or is there one in particular I should get? I'd like to spend around $50 or less if possible.

RUNN1NGMAN on

• Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Don't get a zoom, the motorola sb5101 is the standard at the moment. Out of curiosity is there a reason you're not renting?

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Don't get a zoom, the motorola sb5101 is the standard at the moment. Out of curiosity is there a reason you're not renting?

I got a free one from my cable company four years ago that is dying. I don't really know why I'm not renting--I guess it's cheaper in the long run to buy one, although we're talking about $3/month, so it's not like that matters. I just hate dealing with Comcast, and the less things I have to call them about the better.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If you rent one you can replace it for free at any time for any reason. You can just take it into the center and say it died and they'll swap it no questions asked.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    If you rent one you can replace it for free at any time for any reason. You can just take it into the center and say it died and they'll swap it no questions asked.

It's cheaper to buy it. Depending on what your cable company charges per month for a rental, purchasing a modem outright is cheaper in the long run and will pay for itself within a year. My cable company will guarantee a modem purchased from them for a year so it's win-win.

OP: The Motorola SB5101 will take care of you. You'll want to pay $50 or less for it so shop around.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've always used Toshiba modems and I've had no problems. I had a rental one from Cox, and then I bought my own maybe 5 years ago. Rock solid.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Just ordered the Motorola one off Amazon. Thanks for the help.

RUNN1NGMAN on