As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND - Use the new thread

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GH:WT doesn't look horrible, it's just full of the same kind of annoying crap GH3 had.

So my Quest for Hardening came to an abrupt halt last night when my girlfriend (on vocals) and I, who had just started mastering the third-tier songs, tried a random setlist and got BYOB. I now want to go bludgeon every member of System of a Down with a tire iron.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    GH:WT doesn't look horrible, it's just full of the same kind of annoying crap GH3 had.

So my Quest for Hardening came to an abrupt halt last night when my girlfriend (on vocals) and I, who had just started mastering the third-tier songs, tried a random setlist and got BYOB. I now want to go bludgeon every member of System of a Down with a tire iron.

lol that song rules, though :) Let me guess, it was the super fast strums, yes? I'm having trouble with those, as well. Sometimes. I don't quite understand how the game registers fast up/down strumming, because I'll be nailing like 4 notes with only two strums. Plus it's deceptive, I've done far slower strumming than seems to be needed, and nailed it, then fast strumming is like "miss... miss... missmiss... missmissmiss...miss..."

Want a good song to play on hard? Learn to Fly. That will teach you, if nothing else will. Plus it's a great song to listen to over and over. I learned by playing the intro to The Trees at about 60-70% for about an hour. That got me used to moving my fingers.

What songs were you doing well in up til BYOB?

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    With a bit of practice I can five-star nearly every first and second-tier song (except Hello There, there's something about all the frantic strumming while changing notes that breaks my brain), and I'm doing decently on most of the third tier.

Right now my biggest problem comes with dense clusters of notes where I have to play both green and orange without even the shortest break to move over. Seeing all that coming down the tube causes me to either lock up or flail wildly in hopes that I hit a few notes. Like the end solo of Feel the Pain. I can ace the rest of the song, but when I get to the last solo I damn near fail out.

I know, I know, I've played medium for too long. I guess I just need some practice on speedy yet predictable chords with both green and orange to get my finger speed up.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    In that case, just practice the bass intro of Panic Attack on hard, or even expert. That will get you moving. :)

Fawst on
  • Options
    toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Monkeydrye wrote: »
    So, this weekend we had a 12 hour RB2 birthday marathon! Complete with lasers and fog machine.

Question though...for the PS3. It seemed to us that with all the instruments hooked up that our instruments were less responsive. I kept missing notes and our drummer said he regularly lost his combo and had a hard time making the hit for the Rock Endings. But after everyone left I didn't have that problem, and he didn't have it when he went home.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

We had a RB2 fiesta here as well and we noticed that our timings were a little off when playing with everyone. Only myself and my wife (mostly vocals) didn't notice a big issue. Our guitarist and bassist had the most problem. The funny thing is that when the drums weren't plugged in they seemed to play a little better. Also, the vocal bug didn't happen until the next day...it made me very happy!

toolbert on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh man, I just beat Chop Suey with a 90% on sight read. I'm impressed with myself. I thought I'd fail miserably. The first section of fast stuff I totally whooped ass on, but the 2nd time around I thought too much and didn't do so well :(

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    After a day driving around listening to XM Radio with my girlfriend, she has suggested, and I have approved the following additions to Rock Band.

Anything off "Sixteen Stone" or "Razorblade Suitcase" by Bush - with the exception of "Swallowed"

"Never Again" by Kelly Clarkson. Seriously, I didn't want to agree with her, but this song would be fucking FUN on ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. Listen to that awesome drum beat at the beginning.

"Too Much", "What Would You Say" or "Drive In Drive Out" by Dave Matthews Band

"Run Around" or "Hook" by Blues Traveller

"Banditos" by The Refreshments

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »
    "Banditos" by The Refreshments

I've suggested this before and it would be goddamn great.

Also, Two Princes by the Spin Doctors. Say what you will, but fuck it sounds so fun to play.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    After a day driving around listening to XM Radio with my girlfriend, she has suggested, and I have approved the following additions to Rock Band.

"Never Again" by Kelly Clarkson. Seriously, I didn't want to agree with her, but this song would be fucking FUN on ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. Listen to that awesome drum beat at the beginning.

NO! Dear god please nothing to do with the worst television show ever created please.
    "Too Much", "What Would You Say" or "Drive In Drive Out" by Dave Matthews Band

"Run Around" or "Hook" by Blues Traveler

Better! Although Blues Traveler has many other songs that would be better suited over their two biggest radio hits. Those would still be fine though.

Schide on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    For the Wii, is there a system within the game to move songs from the SD card and back so that you can play them without any tedious memory transfers?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Schide wrote: »

NO! Dear god please nothing to do with the worst television show ever created please.

Seconded. I pretty much boycott anything that has anything to do with that piece of crud waste of television space insult to music.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Kelly Clarkson was on Everybody Loves Raymond?

And it certainly sounds like it would be interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPKUdoBKVqc

Shouldn't be so adverse to things that would be outright fun to play. The only times I really bitch about music in here is when people talk about songs or bands that would translate horribly to RB.

Plus, for her genre, Kelly Clarkson tends to turn out some quality pop music.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Normally I'd agree with you but American Idol is where I draw the line. Also the italics. This is not a link.

Schide on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I would gladly pay two bucks to subject my friends and neighbors to me screaming "SINCE YOU BEEN GOOOOOOOOOOONE!"

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Up on the RB website, all of my characters are showing up, but only one is actually in my band (Juggling Geese). How do I add other members? I mean, the other characters have played with the band plenty of times.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Everyone will want a harmonica peripheral for Blues Traveler.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Normally I'd agree with you but American Idol is where I draw the line. Also the italics. This is not a link.

Where is the line drawn? Just at pop?

Would Daughtry be acceptable?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    For the Wii, is there a system within the game to move songs from the SD card and back so that you can play them without any tedious memory transfers?
    IGN.com wrote:
    As with any Wii game, there's also the problem with storage, and it's one Rock Band will need to deal with as well, since the new SD card tech isn't implemented yet (oh Nintendo).

Songs will be pulled from your internal memory on Wii, and additional songs can be purchased in the Rock Band store and saved to your SD card if more space is needed, but you'll need to have any songs you want to play during that play session on your internal Wii memory. So on one hand you've got an extremely ambitious DLC offering from MTV Games -- a huge win for Wii fans -- and on the other you've got Wii's technical limitations (at least for the time being), which ensure that you'll be cleaning your fridge out constantly if you want to keep updating your list of available DLC.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Avoiding/disliking Kelly Clarkson just because she was on American Idol is retarded. She is an amazing singer whether or not you like her music or how she became famous...

midgetspy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

No, just anything that came out of American Idol.

I don't know what that is.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

No, just anything that came out of American Idol.

I don't know what that is.

Daughtry is a band fronted by Chris Daughtry, who came out of American Idol.

But it's a rock group, not a pop group.

He didn't win American Idol, but that's how he became famous.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    midgetspy wrote: »
    Avoiding/disliking Kelly Clarkson just because she was on American Idol is retarded. She is an amazing singer whether or not you like her music or how she became famous...

Durrrr, then I best be gettin muh brain checked at the brain checkin place cuz I must be mentally challenged!

Besides, I've had the misfortune to hear her sing. She ain't no great shakes.

Schide on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Up on the RB website, all of my characters are showing up, but only one is actually in my band (Juggling Geese). How do I add other members? I mean, the other characters have played with the band plenty of times.

You have to actually make them members of the band itself and not just stand-ins. Select each character and then add them in the Roster tab (you can leave them in their stand-in positions). Then play a song or do something online that forces a connection to Rock Band Central.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Schide: This is Daughtry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C_oHwLcivY

EDIT: What a horrible screencap for that embedded video!

EDIT AGAIN: You have to click on the link, doesn't seem to work embedded.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Yeah, I saw the pointless Kelly Clarkson reference on Family Guy and it was every bit as unfunny as the rest of the 47 billion unfunny pop culture references on that show.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Some Kelly Clarkson would probably be pretty fun on Rock Band

Won't be needing this man card anymore......

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

You have to actually make them members of the band itself and not just stand-ins. Select each character and then add them in the Roster tab (you can leave them in their stand-in positions). Then play a song or do something online that forces a connection to Rock Band Central.

Thank you santa. Extra milk and cookies this year!

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I wouldn't really mind Kelly Clarkson but hot damn that song is terrible.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    midgetspy wrote: »

Durrrr, then I best be gettin muh brain checked at the brain checkin place cuz I must be mentally challenged!

Besides, I've had the misfortune to hear her sing. She ain't no great shakes.

I saw her at live Earth and thought she was pretty awesome. I was expecting total ass and that "Because of You" single, and she came out and did 4 really heavy songs. Evanescence-esque. She really impressed me. And she's cute.

Sorry I brought up Kelly Clarkson, but very glad that at least some people found it to be a good pick. I can now go outside without fear that everyone will be making fun of me.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think it's funny that two songs I was looking most forward to on GHWT (Dammit and Kickstart My Heart) are on RB within weeks of release. If "Beat It" becomes available, I'll REALLY regret getting GHWT.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Any reports on GHWT drums with RB2? I need new drums, I hate the thunk-thunk from my RB1s, and I'm leaning towards GHWT because I'm an easy slut for the plastic cymbals. I'd just like to hear how well they work with RB2.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    JoahW wrote: »

I wouldn't really mind Kelly Clarkson but hot damn that song is terrible.

Meh, I find it catchy. I linked it in the hopes he might recognize it, seems to be their most played song.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    Any reports on GHWT drums with RB2? I need new drums, I hate the thunk-thunk from my RB1s, and I'm leaning towards GHWT because I'm an easy slut for the plastic cymbals. I'd just like to hear how well they work with RB2.

If you can find GHWT drums that aren't defective, consider yourself lucky. My green pad on my drums wouldn't register, but everything else seemed ok with RB2. They're almost silent, even when you pound them.

Also: There are cymbal expansions for the RB2 drums.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    MorganMorgan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Erandus wrote: »
    I'm a fucking terrible singer. I tried last night, again. Holy shit, I'm bad. I don't think there's any amount of practice or technique that can salvage my scratchy croak noises.

OMG that was you? I thought you were ruffling up the cat... :winky:

Morgan on
    Erandus is a douchebag
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'll toss out a "dear God, NO!" to saying "anything" off of the two Bush albums. There are some that would be good from Sixteen Stone, to be sure, but the only listenable song off of Razorblade Suitcase is Greedy Fly. And I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be much fun. I could be wrong (and probably am), but blah...

Alternatively, I offer for your consideration: The Moody Blues.

I'm Just A Singer (In A Rock & Roll Band)
    Ride My See-Saw

I can't think of other songs by them that would fit the format, but those two would be a lot of fun. Good bass line in Just A Singer.

Fawst on
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Accualt wrote: »

They technically "work" with each other, but on certain songs it will be awkward.

For playing GHWT with Rock Band drums, songs like Everlong with 16th note hi-hats (Rolls on Red in RB but Rolls on yellow in GHWT) your sticking would be off because you'd be playing with the hat to the left of the snare instead of to the right like it's supposed to be.

For playing RB with GHWT drums, songs with tom rolls (which are extremely common) and the like will be played partially on the cymbals, which would be really weird to play. Imagine a Rush song that has a RRYYBBGG tom roll. On GHWT drums, you'd be playing the first two on the snare, the second two on the yellow cymbal, the third two on the middle tom, and the last two on the blue cymbal. There's also the issue of songs like everlong as well. Your hi-hat and snare will be reversed.

Note that I haven't actually tried either configuration, so YMMV.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Morgan wrote: »
    I'm a fucking terrible singer. I tried last night, again. Holy shit, I'm bad. I don't think there's any amount of practice or technique that can salvage my scratchy croak noises.

I was. By singing.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Rock Band presents American Idol?

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Morgan wrote: »

I was. By singing.

I think cat was a euphemism... It might not have been you.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm confused. :(

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]