As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Music thread wherein we talk about bands from the ill-defined [Indie] genre

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'll admit that's the first time in a long time that I've been able to sit through an entire Animal Collective song. I will look into this.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Daily Routine was my immediate favorite, but I also love Summertime Clothes, Bluish, and My Girls. Really, the only low point of the album for me is Guy's Eyes, but I feel that might grow on me as well. Generally speaking, the album is fantastic from start to finish.

I agree. What would you give it out of 10?

If I had to pretend to be Pitchfork? I dunno, maybe 9.3, but it's still a bit early for me to make a judgment call like that. I'm just having fun listening to it over and over again.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Monoxide wrote: »
    God damn the new Animal Collective is good. I was listening to it while strolling around Manhattan, it made me so happy.

It is also the squishiest album ever.

okay, seriously, this album is amazing

I usually reserve my joy about what I think are incredible albums until I've given them an absurd amount of listens, but this is just too fucking good

listen to this shit: http://hypem.com/track/715555

not only Animal Collective's poppiest and most accessible album, but probably their best too

This is a really really good album, but I'm not convinced it's their best. Feels, Sung Tongs, and Strawberry Jam all just jumped out and grabbed me more than this album does. I do think it's better than their first 3 records, although that's much different music that what they've been releasing since 2004 so it's hard to compare. I have a feeling this album will grow on me though.

Food on
  • Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Daily Routine was my immediate favorite, but I also love Summertime Clothes, Bluish, and My Girls. Really, the only low point of the album for me is Guy's Eyes, but I feel that might grow on me as well. Generally speaking, the album is fantastic from start to finish.

If I had to pretend to be Pitchfork? I dunno, maybe 9.3, but it's still a bit early for me to make a judgment call like that. I'm just having fun listening to it over and over again.

This is a game that I play with my friends sometimes. Some of us have been really quite off, either because my friend (Wincing the Night Away) or the magazine (At Mount Zoomer)made a mistake.

Me, I would give it a 9.5, because I think it is a little better than Person Pitch.

Mithrandir86 on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009

This is a game that I play with my friends sometimes. Some of us have been really quite off, either because my friend (Wincing the Night Away) or the magazine (At Mount Zoomer)made a mistake.

Me, I would give it a 9.5, because I think it is a little better than Person Pitch.

They liked it a little better than the both of you

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/148230-animal-collective-merriweather-post-pavilion

148230.merriweatherpostpavillion.jpg
    Rating: 9.6

Monoxide on
    edited January 2009
    Monoxide wrote: »

They liked it a little better than the both of you

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/148230-animal-collective-merriweather-post-pavilion

148230.merriweatherpostpavillion.jpg
    Rating: 9.6

Yeah, I just saw that a little while ago. Pretty impressive. I'm glad that Mark and I are on the same page.

Mithrandir86 on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I do not understand Animal Collective.

I do, however, understand Fiery Furnaces.

Is something wrong with me?

Burtletoy on
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I do not understand Animal Collective.

I do, however, understand Fiery Furnaces.

Is something wrong with me?

I understand them both and dislike equally.

metaghost on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    does Gogol Bordello count as Indie

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd count them as such, Zombie.

And as good as MPP is, you can't deny the shittiness of that cover art.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
    edited January 2009
    If I don't think MPP is good can I like the album cover? (I don't)

Edit: However, if you find a bigger version and look at it on your monitor, it totally moves, so I guess I do like the cover.

Edit2: See?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001JRY1L2/ref=dp_image_text_0?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music

Burtletoy on
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, but hasn't that been around the internet for ages?

it's just an optical illusion. big whoop. (pronouncing the wh fully--w-hoop)

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I really wish they went with something less garish for the artwork, although I guess it kinda matches the psychedelic nature of the music.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kealoha wrote: »

I bought Super Taranta! yesterday and listened to it like 4 times in a row. Tribal Connection is my favorite song, and Wonderlust King is somewhere up on the top.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited January 2009

If you look at all the AC cover art, it's pretty bad.
    200px-Spirit_They%27re_Gone_Spirit%2C_They%27re_Vanished.JPG200px-Dansemanatee.png200px-Hollinndagain.jpg200px-Animal_Collective_-_Campfire_Songs_%282003%29.JPG200px-Herecomestheindian.jpg200px-Sungtongs.jpg200px-Feels_Cover.jpg200px-Strawberry_jam_high_res_cover.jpg200px-Animal_collective_merriweather.jpg

Mithrandir86 on
    edited January 2009
    The only thing the album needs is more screaming. Avey Tare destroying his vocal cords was the best part of For Reverend Green. How much more awesome would Also Frightened be if the climax ("are you also frighteeeeeeeened?") had Tare screaming on backup vocals?

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • NaromNarom Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For all the power metal fans out there, try checking out Collusion.

Narom on
    <cursive>Narom</cursive>
    edited January 2009

If you look at all the AC cover art, it's pretty bad.
    200px-Spirit_They%27re_Gone_Spirit%2C_They%27re_Vanished.JPG200px-Dansemanatee.png200px-Hollinndagain.jpg200px-Animal_Collective_-_Campfire_Songs_%282003%29.JPG200px-Herecomestheindian.jpg200px-Sungtongs.jpg200px-Feels_Cover.jpg200px-Strawberry_jam_high_res_cover.jpg200px-Animal_collective_merriweather.jpg

Eh, Here Comes the Indian and Feels have pretty cool art in my book. Also, the cover to the reissue of their first 2 albums:

95_55.jpg

Food on
    edited January 2009
    Anyone wanna recommend bands similar to At the Drive-In to me? I need more screamy music that doesn't suck (i.e. nothing that could be described as "screamo")

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
    edited January 2009
    Doesn't At The Drive-In suck though?

I'm confused.

Burtletoy on
  • Ant Man BeeAnt Man Bee Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone wanna recommend bands similar to At the Drive-In to me? I need more screamy music that doesn't suck (i.e. nothing that could be described as "screamo")
    Try cap'n jazz.

Ant Man Bee on
    edited January 2009

I'm confused.

Um, no?

ATD-I was one of the most badass bands ever.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you can get over the Japanese, Number Girl did a somewhat more streamlined take on the dub-influenced post-punk of ATDI.

ZEGEN VS UNDERCOVER

Takes like 20 seconds to get to the music.
    But good rock music, good screaming, not emo.

metaghost on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was let down by so many of the big releases this year in various ways, that I didn't feel I had spent enough time with most of them to do a top ten of 2008 list. So, these last few days I've gone back and revisited a bunch of them (along with some others I just got around to).

I loved TV on the Radio's Dear Science, but kind of forgot about it real quick. Was glad to pick that back up again for a couple more listens yesterday. Kyp Malone's stuff still bugs me. His material is really inconsistent compared to the other two songwriters, and I had a lot of trouble with his stuff on Return to Cookie Mountain as well.

I never made it through The Hold Steady's Stay Positive because around the halfway point I just got sick of the fact that none of it was really lining up, and that the songs were really bland or felt like they had nothing to do with eachother. Separation Sunday is one of my favorite albums because of the story telling, and I really missed that on Boys and Girls in America, which felt to me like a crude, boisterous album of really light drunken rock anthems.

Well, I went back and listened to Stay Positive multiple times last night, and it's pretty great. It's still not Separation Sunday, and 'Navy Sheets' drives me insane because it has so little to do with the rest of the album, but everything else is great. Album's kind of back-loaded, though.

Now I'm on Deerhunter. I loved the pop songs on Cryptograms, and loved the Florescent Grey EP, but Microcastles was just boring. It has a lot of great songs, but it doesn't flow very well, and their song structures are all so simple and the vocals so light and subdued here that many of the songs become forgettable. I wish these guys could make some consistently good albums, because I know they have it in them. The Atlas Sound album had the same problem; the first half was INCREDIBLE, and then it just meandered and flickered out for the entire second half. Listening to Weird Era Cont. right now, and it's better than Microcastles, so I'll have to see how it plays out.

HadjiQuest on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey indie dudes

Anyone been to a Raveonettes show? They worth seeing?

deadonthestreet on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Who has heard of Simplify Media?

It's an iPhone/iPod Touch app and pretty much the best thing ever. You install it on your PC or Mac, and on your iPhone, and then you can stream your iTunes library to your iPhone over Edge, 3G or Wifi. iPhone is only 8gb but your iTunes library is 80gb? No problem! You can also share between multiple computers, and it scrobbles to your last.fm profile.

But the really awesome part is that you can add up to 30 friends and stream from their libraries as well, as long as their computers are on. And it's in the app store, so it's legal and Apple approved.

If anyone has it (and you should, it's only $3.99 in the app store), we should do a username exchange. I figure everyone in this thread has similar taste, so it may be a good way to discover some new music. My username is elevature, let me know if you add me.

Don't let me down, indie thread!

elevature on
    edited January 2009
    elevature wrote: »

It's an iPhone/iPod Touch app and pretty much the best thing ever. You install it on your PC or Mac, and on your iPhone, and then you can stream your iTunes library to your iPhone over Edge, 3G or Wifi. iPhone is only 8gb but your iTunes library is 80gb? No problem! You can also share between multiple computers, and it scrobbles to your last.fm profile.

But the really awesome part is that you can add up to 30 friends and stream from their libraries as well, as long as their computers are on. And it's in the app store, so it's legal and Apple approved.

If anyone has it (and you should, it's only $3.99 in the app store), we should do a username exchange. I figure everyone in this thread has similar taste, so it may be a good way to discover some new music. My username is elevature, let me know if you add me.

That does sound really cool. There are a few problems though. In some places, the iPhone doesn't come with that much bandwidth/month. Rogers in Canada, for example, only gives you about 8 GB. Second, the iPhone is limited by its battery life. And streaming music will probably cut down that battery from its usual 16 (?) hours to less than 6. And since the iPhone is also your phone, I don't know if a lot of people are going to want risk letting it go dead just to stream music on the bus.

Lastly, I don't have an iPhone. :P

Mithrandir86 on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

That does sound really cool. There are a few problems though. In some places, the iPhone doesn't come with that much bandwidth/month. Rogers in Canada, for example, only gives you about 8 GB. Second, the iPhone is limited by its battery life. And streaming music will probably cut down that battery from its usual 16 (?) hours to less than 6. And since the iPhone is also your phone, I don't know if a lot of people are going to want risk letting it go dead just to stream music on the bus.

yeah, I have an iPod Touch. And this will be great at school or work where I have free wifi. But like I said, you can stream it onto your computer as well, the other libraries show up in iTunes like you're on a network. The download to your computer is free, it's just the iPhone/touch app that costs money.

elevature on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

I'm confused.

What?

No. What's it like being so wrong?

If you're looking for stuff like ATDI, try Glassjaw, Thrice and Thursday. And if you're looking for good screaming music (and there is good screaming music) try Saetia, Circle Takes The Square and Funeral Diner. Although I have no doubts the wankery in this this here thread will probably look down on those recommendations.

Tav on
    edited January 2009

yeah, I have an iPod Touch. And this will be great at school or work where I have free wifi. But like I said, you can stream it onto your computer as well, the other libraries show up in iTunes like you're on a network. The download to your computer is free, it's just the iPhone/touch app that costs money.

Orb lets you stream your library on the G1 for free. Most likely also works on iPhone. I think it should stream videos as well, but I don't/won't be trying that.

Burtletoy on
  • GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just going to rep some sweet new zealand beats

it's Bang!Bang!Eche!, who are from christchurch and are pretty much awesome, classified as 'dance punk' it's pretty much rock with an electro keyboard tinge, I just saw them for the second time at big day out and they were super rad, you can download their ep for free from their myspace, and here is my favourite song from them (although I haven't actually watched the video so i'm not sure about it's quality, so just d/l the ep)
    Time Mismanagement

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Voxtrot is good. Both the album and the artist.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
    edited January 2009
    Voxtrot is indeed good. Do they have a full lenght out now? I might need to check that out, sitting here listening to Just Can't Wait Any Longer and Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives gives me high hopes...unless all the songs are just remastered for a full lenght, then I'll just sit here being disappointed.

Burtletoy on
  • MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

BLACK EYES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn-ME7ajsrc

Seriously. Black Eyes.

Even if every song of theirs is about rape. Surprisingly they broke up.

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Also, Sleater-Kinney.

The best part is that even if you don't think they scream enough, you'll still love them because they're awesome.

More I listen to new Oasis, the more I kind of like it. It's like a combination of "Standing on the Shoulders of Giants" and "Be Here Now," which I've always thought were their two most underrated and misunderstood albums. Also, I feel like a teenager listening to them again.

Bell Orchestre is touring again. New album, pl0x?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh hey I forgot to report in the Raveonettes are pretty good live and probably worth seeing, if for Aly, Walk with Me alone, which jumps to a completely other level live.

deadonthestreet on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Voxtrot is indeed good. Do they have a full lenght out now? I might need to check that out, sitting here listening to Just Can't Wait Any Longer and Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives gives me high hopes...unless all the songs are just remastered for a full lenght, then I'll just sit here being disappointed.

No, it's all new stuff. They seemed to try and expand their sound, incorporating more instruments.

In other news, new Andrew Bird album (Noble Beast) is Good+. I think I want to see him now.

Lux on
    edited January 2009
    So I'm relistening to Merriweather Post Pavillion, and I think it is finally starting to click. The reason I've never liked Animal Collective before now is that I've never listened to it with headphones before.

Why did no one tell me this simple instruction?

Jerks.

Burtletoy on
  • animaleanimale Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bloc Party, Animal Collective, and Cat Power shows are all sold out in my area. This makes me such a sad panda. ;_;

animale on
    edited January 2009
    The Animal Collective show in New York sold out in 10 minutes. My brother got a 2 tickets! Neither of which was for me! :x

Food on