My First [chat]

• Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    James wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to ask for a definition on that one.

No complaining about jailings/bannings/locked threads in threads; if you have an issue, talk to the mod who did it.

It's standard procedure now, but there is a first for everything :P

Huh... there are lots of rules that could have been potentially named after Quid. Honestly that's not one I would have thought of.

I don't remember why Quid was jailed, but it was over something stupid, and there was much bitching and unrest in [chat], leading to Quid's Law.

Is there any chance he wasn't drunk at the time? Because it's "Quid's Law." I don't understand how it omits the metaphysical certitude that one must be drunk for it to be invoked.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm gonna have to ask for a definition on that one.

No complaining about jailings/bannings/locked threads in threads; if you have an issue, talk to the mod who did it.

It's standard procedure now, but there is a first for everything :P

Huh... there are lots of rules that could have been potentially named after Quid. Honestly that's not one I would have thought of.

It is old history. He made a thread, or he started some rabble rabble about a decision or something

He did something big that got mod attention, and the rule was made, and he probably got a major infraction.
    Elki wrote: »
    I'd have thought by now that we'd have had more threads closed then that... bizarre.

That means I've already gone through 5 years of comics. PA has been around for a while.

I know, it's so weird to think about it. Time goes too fast... Too much life to cram into only 60 or so years.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Like the 'nice guys finish last' excuse?

They go hand in hand, yeah.

In that case I think I've come across ladder theory before in the guise of drunken freshmen. Buncha twats.

University students, what do you expect?*

* Not all university students fit this mold, obviously.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    jes is ajes is a __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    It is unfair to refuse to let a band move on creatively.

Load, Reload and Garage Inc weren't really moving on creatively... more like trying to make a quick buck with radio friendly soft rock. AJFA and the black album represents the band moving on creatively.

I am one of those fans who only likes metallica's first three albums, everything else i could live without, except maybe a few snippets from ajfa and the black album.

jes is a on
    1154928402_iBankai-1-1-1.jpg
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Man I got a haircut and I look awesome.

Itchy though.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Itchy though.

Prove how awesome you look by showing off your new haircut in stunning pictures.

jes is a on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

As horrible as this is, I think it's inhumane but to feel completel remorse and pity for the father. However stupid he was or is, he still lost his son. And in such a terrible terrible way.

I hope to god he learns his lesson, and that others in turn, maybe learn something, so that other little boys can be spared. But I still feel absolutely terrible for the father.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just as U2 re-embraced their essential U2-ness post-Pop, this album is Metallica becoming Metallica again — specifically, the epic, speed-obsessed version from the band's template-setting trilogy of mid-Eighties albums: Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning and, especially, the progged-out ...And Justice for All. That much is clear from the 90-second mark of Death Magnetic's first track, "That Was Just Your Life," where the band unleashes a barrage of James Hetfield's dutta-duh-duhnt riffing and Lars Ulrich's octuple-time double-bass-and-snare smashing. That long-vanished sound, as essential to Metallica as variations on the "Start Me Up" riff are to the Stones, is all over the album —you wonder how these fortysomething dudes are going to handle playing it live night after night. (Enter chiropractor.)
    Full Review

Ehn, good enough review that I'm willing to give the album a listen.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

That's so terrible it's hilarious. :lol: I'm going to hell now aren't I.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Itchy though.

I got a haircut and I don't look awesome. Fuck you.

I'm hoping my fringe grows at a rate of about a half inch a day to make me look like less of a tard when I go back to school.

Tav on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I think I might be retarded. Seriously. I honestly think I have some kind of mental retardation or something that's gone undiagnosed. I do this thing where I often replace random words with vaguely similar words. Like just a minute ago someone was saying something about a "sofa" and I kept hearing "mattress," and I was confused for like twenty minutes becaues the word "mattress" did not make sense in the context, and I didn't realize my mistake until someone physically gestured to the sofa. I mean I know people get confused sometimes but I seriously feel like I do this with an abnormal frequency.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    jes is a wrote: »

Itchy though.

Prove how awesome you look by showing off your new haircut in stunning pictures.

I intend to. Once I find my camera and card reader.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nothing works into that. Stupid works into that.
    So something works into that.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Res wrote: »
    I think I might be retarded. Seriously. I honestly think I have some kind of mental retardation or something that's gone undiagnosed. I do this thing where I often replace random words with vaguely similar words. Like just a minute ago someone was saying something about a "sofa" and I kept hearing "mattress," and I was confused for like twenty minutes becaues the word "mattress" did not make sense in the context, and I didn't realize my mistake until someone physically gestured to the sofa. I mean I know people get confused sometimes but I seriously feel like I do this with an abnormal frequency.

No, that sounds normal to me. I do that, anyway.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Just as U2 re-embraced their essential U2-ness post-Pop, this album is Metallica becoming Metallica again — specifically, the epic, speed-obsessed version from the band's template-setting trilogy of mid-Eighties albums: Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning and, especially, the progged-out ...And Justice for All. That much is clear from the 90-second mark of Death Magnetic's first track, "That Was Just Your Life," where the band unleashes a barrage of James Hetfield's dutta-duh-duhnt riffing and Lars Ulrich's octuple-time double-bass-and-snare smashing. That long-vanished sound, as essential to Metallica as variations on the "Start Me Up" riff are to the Stones, is all over the album —you wonder how these fortysomething dudes are going to handle playing it live night after night. (Enter chiropractor.)
    Full Review

You hadn't heard it before? o_O

Tav on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Do you blame anyone for the boy's death?
    Yes, both 66%
    Yes, the father 18%
    No 7%
    It's too soon to say 4%
    Yes, the gun instructor 5%

/sigh

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It is unfair to refuse to let a band move on creatively.

Load, Reload and Garage Inc weren't really moving on creatively... more like trying to make a quick buck with radio friendly soft rock. AJFA and the black album represents the band moving on creatively.

I wasn't referring to those albums specifically, and it's true that Metallica has produced some grade-A shit, but there are people who claim they haven't produced anything good since AJFA and immediately dismiss Death Magnetic.

I'm not a big Metallica fan (the metal I listen to is stuff like Motorhead, Death, Iced Earth), but I've enjoyed what I've heard of their latest album.

James on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Could just be a problem with the synapses, rather than an actual mutation. If it really bothers you you should check with a neurologist.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Also, what's ladder theory?

Distilled liquid stupid.

Wiki

o_O I've never known anyone to do that, be they friend or lover. And how do friends with benefits work into that? Or long time friends becoming lovers? So bizarre.

It's an excuse idiots use to justify their failure.

Basically. Ladder theory is a satirical way of explaining why girls supposedly don't like nice guys. Although it's not really funny, and some people take it seriously.

See, and while ladder theory sounds stupid, I always thought there was something to the...

Wait, wait. I think I'll correct myself mid-statement.

I've known girls to claim "I'm just so attracted to bad boys" Friends claim outright they'd rather be with an badass asshole because they're more attractive and they can't help themselves.

However, is the problem with the ladder theory that it makes the claim that all women are like that, or that it happens period? Because it happens, anyway.

But guys, similarly, get into abusive relationships with girls they recognize they shouldn't be with.

It's just a fact that good guys end up with fucked up crazy hot girls with mental problems. There's just some kind of allure there.

I don't get it, but it's real, anyway.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Full Review

Not that I'm aware of. I usually try to listen to something through friend recommendations before I shell out time/money pursuing it. None of my friends listen to metal.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Do you blame anyone for the boy's death?
    Yes, both 66%
    Yes, the father 18%
    No 7%
    It's too soon to say 4%
    Yes, the gun instructor 5%

/sigh

Wait, what are you sighing about?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008

Distilled liquid stupid.

Wiki

o_O I've never known anyone to do that, be they friend or lover. And how do friends with benefits work into that? Or long time friends becoming lovers? So bizarre.

Basically. Ladder theory is a satirical way of explaining why girls supposedly don't like nice guys. Although it's not really funny, and some people take it seriously.

See, and while ladder theory sounds stupid, I always thought there was something to the...

I've known girls to claim "I'm just so attracted to bad boys" Friends claim outright they'd rather be with an badass asshole because they're more attractive and they can't help themselves.

However, is the problem with the ladder theory that it makes the claim that all women are like that, or that it happens period? Because it happens, anyway.

But guys, similarly, get into abusive relationships with girls they recognize they shouldn't be with.

It's just a fact that good guys end up with fucked up crazy hot girls with mental problems. There's just some kind of allure there.

Everyone just agreed that this isn't funny.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Holy crap. I asked a local wood worker to give me a quote on some custom shelves.

The quote came back at: $1100. :shock: Fuck.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Distilled liquid stupid.

Wiki

I do believe the point is that, yea stupid people exist. But that in terms of giving advice in H/A we should not be doing anything to perpetuate said stupid.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Oh please. "Nice" girls and "nice" guys both end up stuck with psychos-in-training because they're too "nice" to grow a spine and say 'No honey, you're psycho so I'm leaving you'.

But this is probably something we're gonna get in trouble for talking about so if you'd like to continue I'm open to PMs.
    Infractions scare me. D:

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Full Review

Not that I'm aware of. I usually try to listen to something through friend recommendations before I shell out time/money pursuing it. None of my friends listen to metal.

The idea of someone buying music before trying it out is strange to me. Hell, even friends of mine who insist on buying every album they want still listen to the songs on youtube first to see if they're any good.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I'm not saying the theory is real, I'm trying to separate logically, (so I can honestly say that I've come to a complete understanding) the idea of the "instant permanent friend/lover" categorization, and the "good girls/guys sometimes fall for bad guys/girls" idea.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Distilled liquid stupid.

Wiki

That's a different issue, but people don't notice because they conflate being a good person, being friends with a girl, and being a complete fucking wimp.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I was under the impression that it was a basic fact of life that sometimes crazy/bad can be sexy. To the point of self-destruction if someone doesn't recognize it, or have the will to fix it.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I sometimes hate the people in SE++.
    :evil:

jes is a on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    People like confidence.

Assholes tend to be confident.

Crazy people tend to be confident.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Glad to see you slowed your sig down, jes.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I'm not saying the theory is real, I'm trying to separate logically, (so I can honestly say that I've come to a complete understanding) the idea of the "instant permanent friend/lover" categorization, and the "good girls/guys sometimes fall for bad guys/girls" idea.

good guys are not weak. Bad guys seem tough. Some people, particularly young girls, think bad=tough. And then some stupid men (including me at age 18) think nice=wimp, and so put themselves in opposition to 'bad guys'.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    People like confidence.

Assholes tend to be confident.

Crazy people tend to be confident.

See, and that could be why. I'm not saying I understand any of this. I'm just trying to be a fuller person here through debate. You people fill me up.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    poshniallo wrote: »
    That's a different issue, but people don't notice because they conflate being a good person, being friends with a girl, and being a complete fucking wimp.

Finish your turn!! RAR!

Also, post in my LSN Game On thread. :P

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The idea of someone buying music before trying it out is strange to me. Hell, even friends of mine who insist on buying every album they want still listen to the songs on youtube first to see if they're any good.

That's what I mean by the time element. If no one brings something like metal to my attention (an area of music I don't pay much attention to) I'm not gonna be searching for it. If someone recommends it, especially someone like a friend who knows my musical tastes, then I'll look up a song on Youtube or borrow their CD.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Glad to see you slowed your sig down, jes.

Yea, I was looking at it and I noticed you had to pay attention to that shit and look at it for a while until you could make out what the fuck was going on.

jes is a on
This discussion has been closed.