Options

My First [chat]

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Just forget I mentioned it. I feel dwarfed by the posting prowess of my fellow [chat]ters.

If it makes you feel better, you've got me beaten.

Cinders on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    jes is a wrote: »
    Yea, I know what you mean, like I was not here for like one whole week and I looked at my post per day thing, and it was still at like 25.00, and even though I know i post more than that per day, but to not be here for like a few days solid and still have a high post per day thing is pretty fucking amazing, that means that when you are here you are posting near the 50-100 mark?

That sounds about right. I normally just post here in [chat], though I tend to frequent the H/A forums as well, being a vast wealth of knowledge due to long nights spent in encyclopedias and emergency rooms.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Res wrote: »
    The friend zone does not exist. Study-abroad-girl was my best friend for like three years and then I kissed her after the end of a movie one time and she floated out of the theater.

There was no omgidontwanttoloseourfriendship panic.

Just floating.

That's because you have magic lips.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    James wrote: »
    Well, if you make 125 posts in one day, and are absent the next four days, you'll have an average of 25 posts per day.

My average is brought way down by about 2-3 years of not posting.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Aegis wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    I think he means that you've been here only a few months, yet have half his posts through a whole year or two.

There's nothing wrong with it, but I guess some people are amazed at how much other people can post.

Kind of funny since I'm normally a little quiet around strangers in person.

It's the Internet. It does this.

Indeed it does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVKnF26qFFM&feature=related

Ancient, but epic.

yalborap on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The friend zone does not exist. Study-abroad-girl was my best friend for like three years and then I kissed her after the end of a movie one time and she floated out of the theater.

Just floating.

Did you have a string tied to her? It'd suck if she floated up into the sky :(

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    jes is ajes is a __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    A few weeks back, before i stopped posting at days at a time, I had that shit up to like 60 a day.
    That isn't something to be proud of unless you're teefs.

My teeth are just fine.

jes is a on
    1154928402_iBankai-1-1-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Well, if you make 125 posts in one day, and are absent the next four days, you'll have an average of 25 posts per day.

Yeah. My real average is like 30 posts probably, because I shoot shit out so fast in [chat], then mess around with some DnD and G&T threads..

But I've taken like,,, around 4-6 months in breaks since my +year of being here.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think he means that you've been here only a few months, yet have half his posts through a whole year or two.

There's nothing wrong with it, but I guess some people are amazed at how much other people can post.

Something we have in common.

Though I think I'm getting over it. If I want to be outgoing, I'll be outgoing.

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Mine's been roughly even, I think, though it's had its spikes.

yalborap on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Whoah whoah..

You saying if I make out with you Res I can float?

That does make it rather appealing.

As well, yes, the Internet does strange things to people sometimes. It can even help people become more... gasp! ... sociable.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    there are plenty of less extreme cases of low self-esteem women who get in relationships with guys who are bad for them because they're attracted to the drama or they don't think they deserve any better. They ignore all the other men in their lives who would treat them better because they're scared of, bored by, or simply have no concept of healthy relationships. So they stay with their man out of some fantasy that just through patience and loyalty they can magically get him to start treating her right.

Meanwhile there's going to be some low self-esteem guy who is attracted to that girl, even though she ignores him, because he's intrigued by the drama or doesn't think he deserves any better. He ignores all the other women in his life who would treat him better because he's scared of, bored boy, or simply has no concept of a healthy relationship. So he pines over this girl out of some fantasy that just through patience and loyalty he can magically convince her to start loving him.

Is it really such a mystery why this story plays out so often?

Geez, way to ruin the plot to every romcom ever.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Aegis wrote: »

Just floating.

Did you have a string tied to her? It'd suck if she floated up into the sky :(

But you could totally look up her skirt.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Whoah whoah..

You saying if I make out with you Res I can float?

Just try not floating.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Know what else? [chat] is addictive. In fact, it's self-preserving.

You say something, but then you want some kind of response or feedback. But then you want to respond to something else, and then again and again and again

[edit]: Unless you got shit to do... 'Cause then you can just leave and find your last post and see what answers you got to a question or something...

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Been thinking more about how SE (or whatever it's called now) is doing so bad lately.

Honestly I think it's Tube. He's fine as a poster but as the admin he kind of sets the tone for the place. And his tone is and always has been (I remember when he joined) an abrupt, rude, arbitrary asshole. He has a rare talent for bringing out and encouraging the absolute worst in people (then banning them for it).

Take the whole episode with the Ban a Forumer thing. Ok so teefs was a thoroughly annoying little shit the last few months but no one deserved that kind of treatment.

When tube was just a jerk of a poster he was funny. As the man in charge he is creating an environment where being an inconsiderate asshole with no finer sentiments whatsoever is encouraged and normal.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited October 2008

If I feel passionate about a topic I can be quite outgoing, even with strangers, but I'm generally one who talks about weather, politics, the coffee from the place down the street, anything but my personal life. Friends even mention that I'm pretty tight lipped. But, like I mentioned, chatting with people like this on the internet has really helped thus far - before I didn't even notice how introverted I was.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Men are exposed to mixed cultural messages about attraction. One of the big ones is really exemplified by your garden variety romantic comedy, where the male lead spends the entire movie pining over the female lead, but the female lead is too busy doing her own thing to notice, until at the climax there's the 'oh shit' moment where the female lead looks at the male lead and goes, "Wow! You loved me all along! Let's get married!" Examples: every Nora Ephron movie ever (I have an especially fervent slice of hate for You've Got Mail where Tom Hanks lies to Meg Ryan, stalks her online, destroys her business and her life, and yet she falls into his arms when he comes to her house with a bouquet of flowers because he did it all for luv), Bounce (more stalker behavior; Ben Affleck lies to a grieving widow and follows her around in his car), and every John Hughes movie ever (except Pretty in Pink and only because the studio forced him to rewrite it). So some young men pay attention to these messages either directly or indirectly. They get inculcated with the belief that what young women really want is a really good friend and someday if you're just friendly enough they'll fall all over you. Then when this doesn't happen, the guy feels betrayed. And why shouldn't they? They've been lied to.

Unfortunately because most young men aren't brought up to think critically about their own culture and media, they blame their failure on the young women they've been pursuing rather than the cultural koolaid they drank. Then they log on to sites like Ladder Theory or AskMen which are populated by other similarly burned young men, and they end up forming their own sad little echo chambers of misogynism.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited October 2008

You say something, but then you want some kind of response or feedback. But then you want to respond to something else, and then again and again and again

[edit]: Unless you got shit to do... 'Cause then you can just leave and find your last post and see what answers you got to a question or something...

Pretty much. I've been procrastinating my departure for like an hour.

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Been thinking more about how SE (or whatever it's called now) is doing so bad lately.

Honestly I think it's Tube. He's fine as a poster but as the admin he kind of sets the tone for the place. And his tone is and always has been (I remember when he joined) an abrupt, rude, arbitrary asshole. He has a rare talent for bringing out and encouraging the absolute worst in people (then banning them for it).

Take the whole episode with the Ban a Forumer thing. Ok so teefs was a thoroughly annoying little shit the last few months but no one deserved that kind of treatment.

When tube was just a jerk of a poster he was funny. As the man in charge he is creating an environment where being an inconsiderate asshole with no finer sentiments whatsoever is encouraged and normal.

He isn't in charge anymore, it is larlar.

jes is a on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A few weeks back, before i stopped posting at days at a time, I had that shit up to like 60 a day.

My teeth are just fine.

asperger-king.jpeg

Tav on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't really need to post anymore. Everything I could possibly say from now on I've already covered.

Somebody needs to compile a Book of Feral, and on any topic I can just reference, "Book of Feral, Page 187, Line 42." It'll save me a lot of typing in the long run.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited October 2008

Yeah. My real average is like 30 posts probably, because I shoot shit out so fast in [chat], then mess around with some DnD and G&T threads..

But I've taken like,,, around 4-6 months in breaks since my +year of being here.

I took like a 2 year break for a while. I was here, and actually saw the posts that led up to, Gabe taking down the boards for people being jerks about Kara (yes, they and their friends actually did use to post here once in a while, instead of never). When they came back up lurked a bit but didn't like the vibe at all.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited October 2008

My teeth are just fine.

asperger-king.gif

jes is a on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah [chat] has swallowed hours of my day before...

Especially when I use it to put off something I don't want to do, like a paper.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd kill a man for some hush puppies right now for serious.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, that's about right. I popped in here to say 'No,' but stuck around to see if I would get a response, and that led to Richy asking something, which lead to Quid's law, which lead to wondering if Quid was drunk. The other branch was continued ladder theory discussion, which lead to here.

James on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Venting about shit in [chat] is the only thing that keeps me sane sometimes. Seriously, I don't give a shit if I come across as an angsty teen, having anonymity and a place to tell people your troubles is wonderful.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

This.

Part of why I openly loathe Tube.

But, in other news, I'm off to driving lessons (haha, yes 23 without a license) and thai food. Be good, [chat].

Passerbye on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I should be working on my paper right now, but [chat]'s so fun.

Also, I don't see the disdain for Tube. He seemed like one of those mythical creatures. In fact, I have kind of that opinion of SE++. Don't understand it, don't know it, but have a favourable opinion of the very 'weirdness' and unknown of the place.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't really need to post anymore. Everything I could possibly say from now on I've already covered.

Somebody needs to compile a Book of Feral, and on any topic I can just reference, "Book of Feral, Page 187, Line 42." It'll save me a lot of typing in the long run.

It can double as a modern day kama sutra too

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I want fifty hush puppies.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Men are exposed to mixed cultural messages about attraction. One of the big ones is really exemplified by your garden variety romantic comedy, where the male lead spends the entire movie pining over the female lead, but the female lead is too busy doing her own thing to notice, until at the climax there's the 'oh shit' moment where the female lead looks at the male lead and goes, "Wow! You loved me all along! Let's get married!" Examples: every Nora Ephron movie ever (I have an especially fervent slice of hate for You've Got Mail where Tom Hanks lies to Meg Ryan, stalks her online, destroys her business and her life, and yet she falls into his arms when he comes to her house with a bouquet of flowers because he did it all for luv), Bounce (more stalker behavior; Ben Affleck lies to a grieving widow and follows her around in his car), and every John Hughes movie ever (except Pretty in Pink and only because the studio forced him to rewrite it). So some young men pay attention to these messages either directly or indirectly. They get inculcated with the belief that what young women really want is a really good friend and someday if you're just friendly enough they'll fall all over you. Then when this doesn't happen, the guy feels betrayed. And why shouldn't they? They've been lied to.

Unfortunately because most young men aren't brought up to think critically about their own culture and media, they blame their failure on the young women they've been pursuing rather than the cultural koolaid they drank. Then they log on to sites like Ladder Theory or AskMen which are populated by other similarly burned young men, and they end up forming their own sad little echo chambers of misogynism.

Wait, didn't John Hughs make Ferris Builer's Day Off? Now I need to go look that up.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited October 2008

If I feel passionate about a topic I can be quite outgoing, even with strangers, but I'm generally one who talks about weather, politics, the coffee from the place down the street, anything but my personal life. Friends even mention that I'm pretty tight lipped. But, like I mentioned, chatting with people like this on the internet has really helped thus far - before I didn't even notice how introverted I was.

Dear Diary,

I talked again to the boy with the laptop today. He asked what the specials were and I outright told him to read the board, then confidently walked away immediately, staring at the floor to demonstrate how focused and confident I was in my step. When he asked how my day was I was very precise. 'Fine,' I said. He smiled and asked what I wanted to be doing after work. I played it confident and walked away again as if I had business to do, staring at the floor again.

But then he just left!

I don't get it, but maybe boys just don't like their girls to be so forward with them.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

It may save on typing, but it'll waste a lot of time looking through the book.

What you'll need is someone to digitize it, and make it searchable.

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Things be messed up.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    The hell do I want for dinner.

I wonder if I have corned beef.

Reuben!

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Wait, didn't John Hughs make Ferris Builer's Day Off? Now I need to go look that up.

Yes, he did

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

ya think?

Feral on

• Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008

Lay out an outline and I'll do it.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.