nintendo controllers are poop.

You're a towel.

RonTheDM on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    stilist wrote: »
    I thought the Wii wasn’t primarily for people who would want such a thing.
    *shrugs* I don't know, I stopped keeping up with the Wii a while ago.
    I don’t use mine, but that’s primarily because when I bought it I didn’t realize the games would cost $50.

I think it was worthwhile anyways.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    For me, UT consisted of playing capture the flag with dumb bots, infinite ammo, and invincibility.

I do love CTF. Facing Worlds forever!

And Bombing Run was great. And god I love Assault. The rest of the modes are alright, except Double Dom, which is retarded. It's very existence is a crime, when other, nobler modes like Assault and Bombing Run fall by the wayside.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    LaOs wrote: »
    Medopine wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    all I ever do is flip the y axis

I just do whatever it takes to set the controls to Goldeneye's default settings

Yes!

Goldeneye was bad and you should feel bad

If you were anyone but nexus...

Ah hell, no one could convince me that Goldeneye was bad, let alone that I should feel bad for loving it.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    LaOs wrote: »
    all I ever do is flip the y axis

I just do whatever it takes to set the controls to Goldeneye's default settings

Yes!

LaOs knows what's up

And clearly nexus does not!

LaOs on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    I also bought the SNES Wireless lunchbox when it came out, but the "stick" on it sucks. WAAAAAY too sensitive. Final Fantasy III was unplayable; I usually only flub Sabin's blitzes about 5% of the time, and I couldn't get a Pummel going to save my life.

For some reason as a kid I could never figure out Sabin's blitzes. Ever. I would rent the game over and over again and get to the part where you have to perform the blitz and that'd be it. Failure over and over and over and over again.

It's like the pole vault in Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular. Only possible.

oh god i can hear the music from that snoopy stage. . .countless times spent playing it over and over and over and over hoping to one day vault that damn river. No one can.

Hah you probably did right-left-right instead of left-right-left.

But you don't actually have to use Pummel to defeat Vargas, you can just kill him the old fashioned way.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I never found the Playstation controllers to be very comfortable, and the multiple shoulder buttons never felt right either.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    PS2 is probably the best, but it learned from SNES.

Busted out my SNES the other day to play some UN Squadron. God damn are those controllers tiny. Like really tiny.

I think the original genesis controller feels a lot better in the hand. Even though it was kind of the Original Xbox Controller of the 16 bit era. And it only had 4 buttons (one of them Start) and a D Pad. The D-Pad kicked ass though. Way better than the SNES one.

It's too bad they made the Genesis controller so much smaller when they made the 6 button configuration.

Edit: Friend of mine had that gargantuan genesis arcade style stick controller. That thing was great.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Incidentally, I was a poor hand at Q3A.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »

You're a towel.

Now I know why Gus is sad.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Alecthar wrote: »
    For me, UT consisted of playing capture the flag with dumb bots, infinite ammo, and invincibility.

And Bombing Run was great. And god I love Assault. The rest of the modes are alright, except Double Dom, which is retarded. It's very existence is a crime, when other, nobler modes like Assault and Bombing Run fall by the wayside.

Bombing Run and Assault were fantastic. And I was pissed that UT2K3 didn't have assault.

I haven't played a UT game since. (Yeah, I know 2K4 had assault, but I thought 2K3 lost something of the original and I just didn't feel like getting anymore of them.)

Nova_C on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The VMU made the Dreamcast controller the best controller.

Bama on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Incidentally, I was a poor hand at Q3A.

Tribes 2 for life.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »
    mrflippy wrote: »
    The 360 controller is actually probably my favorite controller now.

Yeah, I find it very comfortable. I am pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy my XBox 360.

Yeah, of the current gen the 360 controller is very nice indeed.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    if you don't play with an inverted y axis i don't know what's wrong with you

but something is very wrong

you pull back on the stick to go up, dammit.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gooey wrote: »

this man knows what's what

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

For serious, this is vital.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm actually a huge fan of simplicity and context-sensitive controls. I thought the Gamecube controller was absolutely genius for what it was trying to do, and I am also still a big fan of the Wii's controls (apparently I have a natural aptitude for waggle-fu).

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I know people that play with inverted Y with a mouse. Those guys are the freaks.

Bama on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I know I'm probably a weird for this, but, if I am in a vehicle? Yes, yes, a hundred times yes.

If I am on foot? Nooooo!! Up is up you bastards.

This make games where I cant set vehicle and on foot controls separately very hard for me.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    RonTheDMRonTheDM Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I only play Starfox with an inverted Y-Axis. The rest of the games, no thanks. How about you invert your own y-axis, jerk? *throw drink in face*

RonTheDM on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I play inverted for all flight sims but not for first person shooters.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Alecthar wrote: »

Bombing Run and Assault were fantastic. And I was pissed that UT2K3 didn't have assault.

I haven't played a UT game since. (Yeah, I know 2K4 had assault, but I thought 2K3 lost something of the original and I just didn't feel like getting anymore of them.)

Oh, dude, you missed out, UT2k4 wielded fantastic Assault maps, despite its loss of Bombing Run (Nooooo!).

I played UT3, which was pretty, and had sweet cool vehicle hotness, but why would you take out both Assault and Bombing Run? What did we do to deserve that kind of treatment? Why, Epic, why you gotta hurt us so bad?

Alecthar on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

You're a towel.

Cum towel?? :winky:

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I play inverted for all flight sims but not for first person shooters.

I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't need no stinking points.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I got a question for you guys. If you received a device that has a screen, and on this screen there is a sticker that says Remove before using what would you do? Try to use it without removing the sticker and then wonder why it wasn't fucking working the way it should?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    the PS2 has the best controller except for the analogs

unfortunately those are very important

i'd say the triggers and analogs make the 360 the best, although its shoulder buttons are fucking terrible

I have to agree. The analogue sticks on my PS2 controller were messed right out of the box, which made SOCOM harder than it should have been. So I bought another one, which works fine, but the dead zone on those controllers still sucks.

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    are y'all talking about console games or games in general? I mix it up on consoles. I think I play Halo inverted but I'm not sure.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was actually reading something about a study done around people's preferences for an inverted y-axis or not. It has to do with how you view yourself in relation to the character on the screen, and where you feel the "point of control" is. People who were introverts tended to prefer inverted, because they felt the point of control was behind the screen (behind the character's head) and people who were extroverts tended to prefer regular because they felt the point of control was in front of the screen (in front of the character's eyes)

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ryadic wrote: »
    I got a question for you guys. If you received a device that has a screen, and on this screen there is a sticker that says Remove before using what would you do? Try to use it without removing the sticker and then wonder why it wasn't fucking working the way it should?

No...I would remove the sticker.

Like all intelligent beings.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Someone earlier was talking about how it seemed strange to have the option to reverse the X axis controls. I was in FPS mode then so I didn't think about it much, but with a third person camera it's really very useful.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    The VMU made the Dreamcast controller the best controller.

The VMU was way ahead of its time, and the Dreamcast had the Last Great D-Pad. It's too bad the damn thing drained watch batteries like fucking Gatorade; I have five controllers with five VMUs and five rumble packs, and the VMUs have all had dead batteries since two weeks after I activated them. You had to actually remove them from the controller slot and turn them off manually after each use to keep them from constantly sucking juice. I keep waiting for the DS or PSP to demonstrate that same level of connectivity, but I don't think we're gonna see it until all three systems go full Bluetooth and you can just download shit into any cellphone.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    Hey guys I'm making some pizza.

Would anybody like some pizza?

Am I too late for the pizza and also what is on the pizza?

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I dare any of you assholes to go back and play Goldeneye. Try to enjoy it.

Put your nostalgia aside.

I stopped enjoying that game the moment I realized it had infinite spawns.

if you were playing single player you were doing it wrong

it was all about 4 person License to Kill

I knew I loved you for a reason.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I only tried inverted-y once, and I hated it. I’m stupid, so let me have consistency.

stilist on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was actually reading something about a study done around people's preferences for an inverted y-axis or not. It has to do with how you view yourself in relation to the character on the screen, and where you feel the "point of control" is. People who were introverts tended to prefer inverted, because they felt the point of control was behind the screen (behind the character's head) and people who were extroverts tended to prefer regular because they felt the point of control was in front of the screen (in front of the character's eyes)

That is crazy and god dammit why do I keep fitting into little psychological study-boxes :x

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    I know people that play with inverted Y with a mouse. Those guys are the freaks.

Yeah, this is why I have difficulty with some console games default controls and camera controls. Halo was a good example, I need my look and move to be separate, because I am much more used to the mouse/keyboard combo. And Kingdom Hearts 2 had default camera controls that moved the camera counterclockwise when you went right on the analog, and clockwise when you went left. That threw me off for serious. Had to change that shit.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I can't do anything in First Person without an inverted Y-axis. I'm just... useless. I'll flail around like a moron getting shot repeatedly in the face trying to figure out why the hell I keep aiming at my shoes.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    yalborap wrote: »
    That is crazy and god dammit why do I keep fitting into little psychological study-boxes :x
    Conformist.

stilist on
This discussion has been closed.