Options

My First [chat]

• Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    James wrote: »
    Yeah, that's about right. I popped in here to say 'No,' but stuck around to see if I would get a response, and that led to Richy asking something, which lead to Quid's law, which lead to wondering if Quid was drunk. The other branch was continued ladder theory discussion, which lead to here.

And we love you for it.

Also, you're the only one who made notice of my udder comment. So :^: for that.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wait, didn't John Hughs make Ferris Builer's Day Off? Now I need to go look that up.

Yes he did, and okay that's an exception.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Geez, way to ruin the plot to every romcom ever.
    Men are exposed to mixed cultural messages about attraction. One of the big ones is really exemplified by your garden variety romantic comedy, where the male lead spends the entire movie pining over the female lead, but the female lead is too busy doing her own thing to notice, until at the climax there's the 'oh shit' moment where the female lead looks at the male lead and goes, "Wow! You loved me all along! Let's get married!" Examples: every Nora Ephron movie ever (I have an especially fervent slice of hate for You've Got Mail where Tom Hanks lies to Meg Ryan, stalks her online, destroys her business and her life, and yet she falls into his arms when he comes to her house with a bouquet of flowers because he did it all for luv), Bounce (more stalker behavior; Ben Affleck lies to a grieving widow and follows her around in his car), and every John Hughes movie ever (except Pretty in Pink and only because the studio forced him to rewrite it). So some young men pay attention to these messages either directly or indirectly. They get inculcated with the belief that what young women really want is a really good friend and someday if you're just friendly enough they'll fall all over you. Then when this doesn't happen, the guy feels betrayed. And why shouldn't they? They've been lied to.

Unfortunately because most young men aren't brought up to think critically about their own culture and media, they blame their failure on the young women they've been pursuing rather than the cultural koolaid they drank. Then they log on to sites like Ladder Theory or AskMen which are populated by other similarly burned young men, and they end up forming their own sad little echo chambers of misogynism.

Wait, didn't John Hughs make Ferris Builer's Day Off? Now I need to go look that up.

Yes, he did

Cause the don't quite jive with Feral's theory there.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Passerbye wrote: »
    If I feel passionate about a topic I can be quite outgoing, even with strangers, but I'm generally one who talks about weather, politics, the coffee from the place down the street, anything but my personal life. Friends even mention that I'm pretty tight lipped. But, like I mentioned, chatting with people like this on the internet has really helped thus far - before I didn't even notice how introverted I was.

Dear Diary,

I talked again to the boy with the laptop today. He asked what the specials were and I outright told him to read the board, then confidently walked away immediately, staring at the floor to demonstrate how focused and confident I was in my step. When he asked how my day was I was very precise. 'Fine,' I said. He smiled and asked what I wanted to be doing after work. I played it confident and walked away again as if I had business to do, staring at the floor again.

But then he just left!

I don't get it, but maybe boys just don't like their girls to be so forward with them.

:^:

Tav on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Been thinking more about how SE (or whatever it's called now) is doing so bad lately.

Honestly I think it's Tube. He's fine as a poster but as the admin he kind of sets the tone for the place. And his tone is and always has been (I remember when he joined) an abrupt, rude, arbitrary asshole. He has a rare talent for bringing out and encouraging the absolute worst in people (then banning them for it).

ya think?

It does indeed seem rather...Obvious. Dude should never have been given power.

yalborap on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I voted for Tube to be banned in that ban-a-forumer thread.

Because I honestly believed the forums would have been better off without him.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    John Hughes made the Breakfast Club.

Feral, let me ask you straight. Do you not like the Breakfast Club?

Think very carefully, and then answer 'No, I like it just fine. Sorry."

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I stayed the fuck out, expecting any vote for tube to be a vote for getting banned yourself, and not thinking anyone else was enough of a douche to be kicked out.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I hate you so much right now.

Feral on

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    God, one girl at my old work was so introverted. Just, like wow. I blame her scientologist upbringing.

I mean, she'd be reading a book and a guy would come up and ask her a question or something? She'd look up and then look right back at the book and keep reading.

It's been a slow and painful process but I'm slowly turning her into a functioning human being.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Which is an excellent movie, though it follows the rom-com formula as well.

thanimations on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    haha, Passerbye can't drive! :P

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    yalborap wrote: »
    Been thinking more about how SE (or whatever it's called now) is doing so bad lately.

Honestly I think it's Tube. He's fine as a poster but as the admin he kind of sets the tone for the place. And his tone is and always has been (I remember when he joined) an abrupt, rude, arbitrary asshole. He has a rare talent for bringing out and encouraging the absolute worst in people (then banning them for it).

ya think?

It does indeed seem rather...Obvious. Dude should never have been given power.

I dunno. He would be fine as a mod. Maybe not an SE mod but he could be Pheezer II: Electric Bugaloo in H/A no problem. And he was always a fairly amusing poster. In the way that, say, Lewis Black is amusing. You need a couple hateful misanthropes around to liven up the place. Just don't give one absolute power unless you want nothing but hateful misanthropes.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    If I feel passionate about a topic I can be quite outgoing, even with strangers, but I'm generally one who talks about weather, politics, the coffee from the place down the street, anything but my personal life. Friends even mention that I'm pretty tight lipped. But, like I mentioned, chatting with people like this on the internet has really helped thus far - before I didn't even notice how introverted I was.

Dear Diary,

I talked again to the boy with the laptop today. He asked what the specials were and I outright told him to read the board, then confidently walked away immediately, staring at the floor to demonstrate how focused and confident I was in my step. When he asked how my day was I was very precise. 'Fine,' I said. He smiled and asked what I wanted to be doing after work. I played it confident and walked away again as if I had business to do, staring at the floor again.

But then he just left!

I don't get it, but maybe boys just don't like their girls to be so forward with them.

I would pay good, good money for people to start conversations with me so my crippling fear of what-if would be expelled. I can handle it once shit starts, I just can't start shit.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    OKAY SO OBVIOUSLY I AM NOT AS FAMILIAR WITH THE JOHN HUGHES FILMOGRAPHY AS PERHAPS A MAN OF MY AGE SHOULD BE

Feral on

• Options
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    God, one girl at my old work was so introverted. Just, like wow. I blame her scientologist upbringing.

I mean, she'd be reading a book and a guy would come up and ask her a question or something? She'd look up and then look right back at the book and keep reading.

It's been a slow and painful process but I'm slowly turning her into a functioning human being.

"That's it, slowly move your hand up and down.... very good"

Tav on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Hell, and I thought I was bad. At least I'd answer the question, even if I might not follow it up with conversation.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Uncle Buck

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I still think, because this would be so like him, that if he had "won" it would have just resulted in some sort of retribution on anyone who voted Tube. Maybe not banning. But like an unchangeable title or something.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The hell do I want for dinner.

I wonder if I have corned beef.

Reuben!

See? This isn't contributing at all. W_H's using this place liek a personal diary/archive for all his inane inner thoughts.

But y'know what? So do I. And we love him anyway.
    even tho he's a cheater cheat cheater :x

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I would pay good, good money for people to start conversations with me so my crippling fear of what-if would be expelled. I can handle it once shit starts, I just can't start shit.

holy shit yal you're like my brother from another mother

seriously

we are so kinda similar

Tav on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

:lol:

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008

D: Ugh, no.

I don't find her at all physically attractive and god, that would feel like taking advantage of a mentally handicapped girl.

She is the girl that I've expressed wariness in chat before about her falling for me.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I still think, because this would be so like him, that if he had "won" it would have just resulted in some sort of retribution on anyone who voted Tube. Maybe not banning. But like an unchangeable title or something.

I'm going to miss the name changing thread though. That was pretty awesome just to see what people ended up with.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Dear Diary,

But then he just left!

I have recurring fantasies where some guy (or girl) preferably a girl, probably comes up and just sits next to me at lunch or something and starts eating my food and opening up a conversation, and then we're friends from that day forward.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    OKAY SO OBVIOUSLY I AM NOT AS FAMILIAR WITH THE JOHN HUGHES FILMOGRAPHY AS PERHAPS A MAN OF MY AGE SHOULD BE

Apparently the dude wrote Beethoven and Home Alone.

thanimations on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Clearly.

Now repeat after me, "Despite being simplistic and really aimed at young teenagers, The Breakfast Club is a good film."

Or it gets the hose again, so help me God.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I have recurring fantasies where some guy comes up and just sits next to me at lunch or something and starts eating my food and opening up a conversation, and then we're friends from that day forward.

How very japanese-anime of you. :P

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Uncle Buck

Okay now you're just looking at IMDB.

Feral on

• Options
    edited October 2008
    Aegis wrote: »

I'm going to miss the name changing thread though. That was pretty awesome just to see what people ended up with.

The name changing thread was one of his good ideas I think. He was very clear up front whats involved and people brought it on themselves.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    The hell do I want for dinner.

I wonder if I have corned beef.

Reuben!

See? This isn't contributing at all. W_H's using this place liek a personal diary/archive for all his inane inner thoughts.

But y'know what? So do I. And we love him anyway.
    even tho he's a cheater cheat cheater :x

You know what's bad? When somebody asked earlier what people would do with a Portal gun? My immediate thought was, no joke, one end in my bedroom, the other end in my ex's bedroom.

I'm a horrible human being. Also I have no corned beef. Ultimate failure.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I don't find her at all physically attractive and god, that would feel like taking advantage of a mentally handicapped girl.

She is the girl that I've expressed wariness in chat before about her falling for me.

Yeah, I worry about the women in my like getting Stockholm Syndrome too.

Tav on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Res wrote: »
    I don't really need to post anymore. Everything I could possibly say from now on I've already covered.

Somebody needs to compile a Book of Feral, and on any topic I can just reference, "Book of Feral, Page 187, Line 42." It'll save me a lot of typing in the long run.

Lay out an outline and I'll do it.

Note that this offer assumes that no man can make a satisfactory outline of everything he'd ever have to say about everything.

If you can I'm going to be irked.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008

It would have been worth it.

I would have taken any unchangeable title as a result of that action as a badge of honor for voting to ban Tube.

Feral on

• Options
    edited October 2008

Yeah, I worry about the women in my like getting Stockholm Syndrome too.

o_O You kidnap women regularly?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Uncle Buck

Okay now you're just looking at IMDB.
    Wikipedia

I had no idea he did Uncle Buck

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I have recurring fantasies where some guy comes up and just sits next to me at lunch or something and starts eating my food and opening up a conversation, and then we're friends from that day forward.

How very japanese-anime of you. :P

Wait... what anime is this? I'm thinking something from Kevin Smith, or maybe Hugh Laurie.

Or of course an attractive intelligent girl heavily into computer games.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, I worry about the women in my life getting Stockholm Syndrome too.

B-but I'm the good guy!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Or of course an attractive intelligent girl heavily into computer games.

I've dreamed of the Holy Grail too, oh how I have dreamed.

Tav on
This discussion has been closed.